Has Anyone Else Been Robbed?

spha6092

Just wondering if anyone else has been robbed, particularly those living in the Nimman area. I had the rather traumatic experience last night of coming home to find my small house completely ransacked, and all of the valuables I have in the world taken away. Laptops, cameras, a bit of cash, my little ipod shuffle...all gone. I hadn't backed up my files since I got here so I have almost no record now of the last six months of my life here in Thailand.

I've been hearing that there has been a rise in break-ins but is it just hearsay? If not, you may want to up your security and be a little more vigilant than usual. The police were pretty useless last night, and it's doubtful they will ever be the ones to catch the people who are doing this.

I never dreamed that I would be the victim of such an awful crime living here...my own naivety I guess. Going to move into a high-rise condo shortly, hope that the security will be far better. Not that there's anything left for those bastards to steal :-(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible

I have been burgled but not here in Thailand and I know how it feels only thing I can says is they are material things which can be replaced over time, wont make you feel better but at least you were out when it happened, My x wife caught the guy hiding in the bathtub and was attacked he got the worst of it though :)

I have heard about break-ins in the nimman area, not sure why, as it looks safe enough. The owner of the Korean shop 1127 told me stuff was stolen from her when she was living around the area. I have also heard about lots (!) of break ins in the high rise apartment complex opposite soi 9 (the old one, not punna). By lots, I mean three different, unrelated people told me about that.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's true, things can be replaced. Unfortunately my sense of security is a little more fragile.

Actually, my bicycle was stolen in the middle of the night from the front of my house about two weeks ago...probably the same people for all I know.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but can I make a recommendation? Get a small dog. I have a ShihPoo (half Poodle and half Shin Tzu) who isn't very tall (see avatar), but a mosquito can't get in our house without him knowing it. No, he doesn't bark at everything, although he used to, but anyone, and I mean anyone other than me or my wife, will definitely cause him to bark and let us know someone is here. I also have a Beagler (half Beagle and half something else) that is pretty much the same way. At night they both stay in the house and as far as I'm concerned, beat the heck out of the most expensive burglar alarm systems on the market.

i lived on nimmanhaemin soi 2 a couple of years ago. just before we moved in the farang woman who was renting it was badly robbed so the owner put bars on the doors. we didn't get robbed. but in my new house one of the doors wasn't that secure and we were robbed last year. took cash and a camera. they tried to pry the bars off the window before they discovered that the door was an easier target. now i've got bars on the weak door.

was robbed years ago in the suthep university area too. after we moved out the thai lady who replaced us was totally wiped out - they even stole her watchdogs. so it's not just farang who are targets.

one thing i'd recommend is getting a deadbolt - too many houses here have padlocks on the outside. it's basically an advertisement saying "i'm not home."

have heard of a serious uptick in house robberies this year. two houses were robbed while my friends were at home and awake!

the police are useless in this regard. only reason to contact them is if you need an insurance claim. i've never heard of them catching anyone. sometimes they even want you to pay them for coming over.

i agree that it's not the stuff. it's the sense of being violated. and the data loss if you've got irreplaceable work and photos.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's not quite the same thing, but in December I was eating dinner near Tha Pae Gate and a man stole my bag right off my dinner table. It was literally right next to my hand! I ran after him and grabbed his jacket, but he slipped away and got away on his motorbike. I also have a friend (a female farang expat, like me) who was robbed of her handbag in a similar fashion just last month. I think they grabbed it right off of her shoulder, and when she ran after them, they pushed her down. Not sure where that incident happened, though. And recently I arrived home and it looked liked someone had tried to open my front gate, but I had a padlock, thankfully. It could be nothing, but it did scare me a little bit.

Desperate financial times are making people more desperate, sadly...

Edited by SadieMBeagle
  • Like 1

i lived on nimmanhaemin soi 2 a couple of years ago. just before we moved in the farang woman who was renting it was badly robbed so the owner put bars on the doors. we didn't get robbed. but in my new house one of the doors wasn't that secure and we were robbed last year. took cash and a camera. they tried to pry the bars off the window before they discovered that the door was an easier target. now i've got bars on the weak door.

was robbed years ago in the suthep university area too. after we moved out the thai lady who replaced us was totally wiped out - they even stole her watchdogs. so it's not just farang who are targets.

one thing i'd recommend is getting a deadbolt - too many houses here have padlocks on the outside. it's basically an advertisement saying "i'm not home."

have heard of a serious uptick in house robberies this year. two houses were robbed while my friends were at home and awake!

the police are useless in this regard. only reason to contact them is if you need an insurance claim. i've never heard of them catching anyone. sometimes they even want you to pay them for coming over.

i agree that it's not the stuff. it's the sense of being violated. and the data loss if you've got irreplaceable work and photos.

well the place i'm renting is not very secure at all -- and i've felt nervous at times at night. it's okay when my boyfriend is around but last night i had nightmarish visions of how useless i would be if someone tried to attack me. i can't believe they opened drawers i didn't even know existed, like under the bed.

where do these crooks end up getting rid of the stuff they steal, anyway?

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's not quite the same thing, but in December I was eating dinner near Tha Pae Gate and a man stole my bag right off my dinner table. It was literally right next to my hand! I ran after him and grabbed his jacket, but he slipped away and got away on his motorbike. I also have a friend (a female farang expat, like me) who was robbed of her handbag in a similar fashion just last month. I think they grabbed it right off of her shoulder, and when she ran after them, they pushed her down. Not sure where that incident happened, though. And recently I arrived home and it looked liked someone had tried to open my front gate, but I had a padlock, thankfully. It could be nothing, but it did scare me a little bit.

No, I know many hard working Thai's that earn very little, but would not steal.

These are just the scum of the earth, looking for easy farang money and nothing to do with hard times.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

You mentioned moving into a high rise, so I hope your took a look at the security arrangements on the high rise.

I had a long running battle with several owners and the security and office staff in my high rise condo about lack of attention to security in downtown Bangkok.

After some time there was a break in on a higher floor, valuables, appliances. computers, wallets, cash taken whilst the owner and family were sleeping.

The owner of the same unit had gotten angry with me on several previous occasions because I had asked her to stop propping open the front door and the door on her level of the car park.

She then took up the call for proper attention to security.

In 1995 I was robbed for more than USD $150,000.00 worth of personal property from my home in Los Angeles. I know it's only possessions but sometimes I still think about it. Some of that stuff I collected over my lifetime. Due to a technicality in the law, my insurance company would not pay the claim.

My symphathies to the OP and anyone else who's been robbed/burgled. I know the feeling as it happened to me twice whilst living in Stockwell, London years back.

For those who are nervous or maybe ladies living alone, it's possible to buy pepper spray at some of the little "weapon" stalls in the night bazaar - supposedly very effective/disabling too.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I had some decorative statues stolen from outside my home in the Nimmen area two weeks ago. This was done in the dead of night. No attempt was made to gain access to the house, as far as I can see. I have a motion sensor light which goes off when someone approaches my front door. It stopped working a few weeks after it was installed, so I need to get it fixed.

My symphathies to the OP and anyone else who's been robbed/burgled. I know the feeling as it happened to me twice whilst living in Stockwell, London years back.

For those who are nervous or maybe ladies living alone, it's possible to buy pepper spray at some of the little "weapon" stalls in the night bazaar - supposedly very effective/disabling too.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Quite right Pikey but it is Illegal Pepper Spray that is, I thought as most people think if its for sale in plain view must be legal but was reading all the farang arrests and what for in the Phuket forum and one was listed as being in pocession of pepper spray so just bear that in Mind

Edited by FarangCravings

Hmmm, wasn't sure about the legality of it here but I'd rather my wife have it and run the risk of being prosecuted for using it than other unthinkable outcomes.... Actually, I thought that like the hand held stun guns, they were legal in the house for defence but you couldn't carry them with you outside?

Incidentally, I was going to take some to my 17 year old daughter on my recent annual UK visit. I even had it bunged in the suitcase when a mate suggested I Google the legality of it in the UK. Well, it's classed the same as a bloody firearm so needless to say, it stayed here. Young Miss Pikey is actually pretty handy at karate but I just hope she never has to resort to it.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's true, things can be replaced. Unfortunately my sense of security is a little more fragile.

Actually, my bicycle was stolen in the middle of the night from the front of my house about two weeks ago...probably the same people for all I know.

ahhh...not backing up. All the other stuff can be replaced. I know this one all to well, since i work in the IT field. No one backs up until they lose all their data.

Im so sorry this has happened to you. I had one incident around 4 months ago where someone had broken in. But..they were disturbed, so no damage done. After that my place is now like fort knox...so many locks and bolts and iron railings and doors. Im in the nimmenheimen area too. Town house. I had believed my case was pretty isolated. Mainly due to the fact that a few days prior to the break in office items including a safe were delivered. I assumed that either someone had seen these items, or maybe the delivery men themselves. The person had gone straight for the safe, as it had scratches and dents on it. I had not heard of breakins goin on around the area. So very sorry that you lost everything. :(

Hmmm, wasn't sure about the legality of it here but I'd rather my wife have it and run the risk of being prosecuted for using it than other unthinkable outcomes.... Actually, I thought that like the hand held stun guns, they were legal in the house for defence but you couldn't carry them with you outside?

Incidentally, I was going to take some to my 17 year old daughter on my recent annual UK visit. I even had it bunged in the suitcase when a mate suggested I Google the legality of it in the UK. Well, it's classed the same as a bloody firearm so needless to say, it stayed here. Young Miss Pikey is actually pretty handy at karate but I just hope she never has to resort to it.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Couldn't you get the shotgun in the suitcase then Pikey :D you could have given the immigration the line that you thought your missus license in Thailand would suffice ;) .

No, I know many hard working Thai's that earn very little, but would not steal.

These are just the scum of the earth, looking for easy farang money and nothing to do with hard times.

How would you know that?

looking for easy farang money and nothing to do with hard times.

Edited by likite

If possible, get a dog. Far more intelligent than the most sophisticated electronic alarm systems, arguably cheaper and a lot more fun.

Ours isn't a small dog, but he would run from a cat if cornered. The thing is, he's got some serious bass in his bark and that keeps all strangers at far more than arms length.

I'd feel a lot less comfortable leaving the house without him there.

" I never dreamed that I would be the victim of such an awful crime living here...my own naivety I guess." ...and i would also had with a little help of all those people that claim in Thailand there are no thefts or any other crimes, no i am not joking, these people are actively posting on the forum trying to make others to believe what i just wrote and then when you talk about the problems you encounters there are others again(or even the same people) telling you that you shouldn't write about any negative experiences you might have here and instead leave(in silence).....i understand your feelings and i am sorry this time it happened to you, lets see the positive side, at least you are still alive and no one got hurts, thank you so much for sharing and let others beware of this REAL risks, good luck!

where do these crooks end up getting rid of the stuff they steal, anyway?

Good question! sometime i also ask myself, why there are people claiming there are no thefts in Thailand? what do they have to gain by letting others become an easy target? maybe there is a connection in all these questions? the missing link :D:ph34r: :ph34r:

we lost similar items to OP in April this year, between about 12-3pm on a Sunday, bungalow in a compound of six.

New Nikon camera (still in box), laptop, watch, jewellery, phone, even my partner's Buddhas, etc.

Burglar had failed to force door lock and instead popped a window from the frame. Policeman showed us how easy it was with a small screwdriver - worrying as all six bungalows had same aluminium joinery.Police helpfully suggested it would have been exchanged for yaba or a box of Chang by that evening.

The Hilltribe Silver shop near Doi Tung Coffee was robbed at gunpoint not long ago. People think of that area as well to do so it becomes a target. As for the booty...there are plenty of pawn shops in Chiang Mai and the gold shops will buy any gold jewelry on the spot. I keep 2 dogs and a noisy parrot as my alarm system.

I know many are in denial about his but, unfortunately we live in a city where methamphetamine (Yabaa) abuse and illegal gambling are at an epidemic level. Most of those who indulge aren't capable of holding down a job and need a source of funds! Same the world over - Thailand is no different (except here the Game keepers are also the biggest poachers :whistling: ).

If you value it - put it in the safe - they are not expensive here. Same goes for a CCTV system as a deterrent, good locks, gates and walls, good night time lighting and a security guard (complete with uniform, whistle and big stick B) ). Just because this is the wonderful LOS where nothing bad can happen :rolleyes: don't leave your common sense back in Farang land........

Edited by Paagai

If possible, get a dog. Far more intelligent than the most sophisticated electronic alarm systems, arguably cheaper and a lot more fun.

Ours isn't a small dog, but he would run from a cat if cornered. The thing is, he's got some serious bass in his bark and that keeps all strangers at far more than arms length.

I'd feel a lot less comfortable leaving the house without him there.

Totally agree, our dog woke us up in the middle of the night about a year ago, really annoyed at something, he never usually barks in the night unless someone is around, this night he was really going for it near our gate. Then the neighbours dog started and so on down the street. The only house on the street without a dog was robbed 4 days later, maybe a coincedence or maybe someone walking the street finding the easiest target.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Couldn't you get the shotgun in the suitcase then Pikey :D you could have given the immigration the line that you thought your missus license in Thailand would suffice ;) .

LOL, the shottie stays with the missus when I am away - together with the bull terrier, hand-held tazer and pepper spray. Can't be too careful these days! ;)

Agree with other posters about dogs. Get a bull terrier - only ever bark when necessary, none of that godawful 24/7 yapping and a wonderful family companion to boot.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey