School Refused Me A Work Permit

hey all good evening

In a weird situation in the moment and need to let yall know. I'm working for a government school and been there for 5 months already. The school said I didn't pass the 3 month probationary period so they cannot give me a work permit. The probation has been extended and they said they'll think about keeping me. I don't want to walk out and leave now cause yall know that October is coming, that means I get like 2-3 weeks paid off. Is it cause they cant find a teacher to replace me? or they'll dump me in October? or will they keep me till the end of the year till I leave? I'm so confused at the moment and know one is giving me a straight answer, and I dontt appreciate working Illegally.

g

Different schools will have different ways of handling this, but they should have given you reasons for your extension of probation. When you are on probation, you can be dismissed at any time without cause and you have precious few rights. Generally, but not always, you do not get holiday pay while on probation, so you might not get paid for October, but you will have to check this out.

As an admin person, I seldom extend probation because the handwriting is on the wall. I have done it when the Thai admin have wanted someone discharged who was a good teacher, but was "too fat", "too old", "not beautiful", "dresses poorly" etc. Sometimes they need to see the redeeming qualities in the teacher. Most of the time, however, the end result is that the person has to go--otherwise someone might lose face.

If I were in your position, and depending on finances, I would thank them for their time and opportunity and go look elsewhere.

Schools are very finicky about teachers and teaching. They have their own ideas of what should or shouldn't go on in the classroom and I've seen some good teachers bite the dust because they didn't do it 'their' way.

By the way, did the school assist you in getting a non-immigrant visa?

Best of luck and keep us informed.

go look for work now, that way the bridge in front of you is being built as the one behind you is falling.

Well the bridge can break anytime, I don't have a problem looking for work, will take me 1-2 weeks at most. Not happy working with the school anymore and never been in this situation , seems like some scam is going on too, maby their lazy or they just don't wanna take care of me and pocket the money instead?

Edited by DragonQuest

Different schools will have different ways of handling this, but they should have given you reasons for your extension of probation. When you are on probation, you can be dismissed at any time without cause and you have precious few rights. Generally, but not always, you do not get holiday pay while on probation, so you might not get paid for October, but you will have to check this out.

As an admin person, I seldom extend probation because the handwriting is on the wall. I have done it when the Thai admin have wanted someone discharged who was a good teacher, but was "too fat", "too old", "not beautiful", "dresses poorly" etc. Sometimes they need to see the redeeming qualities in the teacher. Most of the time, however, the end result is that the person has to go--otherwise someone might lose face.

If I were in your position, and depending on finances, I would thank them for their time and opportunity and go look elsewhere.

Schools are very finicky about teachers and teaching. They have their own ideas of what should or shouldn't go on in the classroom and I've seen some good teachers bite the dust because they didn't do it 'their' way.

Well when we started out in May I got the full salary and most schools were closed for 2-3 weeks remember(Red shirts) and plus I got all the other holiday pay as well up until now... The school didn't help me with anything, the lady that takes care of the visa's said I didn't pass probation and I might be only here till October, but when I spoke with my boss the head teacher she said I'm going to fast and that were going to use the same books next semester... Then I asked her about my visa and work permit she said she will speak with the director again....

Well when we started out in May I got the full salary and most schools were closed for 2-3 weeks remember(Red shirts) and plus I got all the other holiday pay as well up until now... The school didn't help me with anything, the lady that takes care of the visa's said I didn't pass probation and I might be only here till October, but when I spoke with my boss the head teacher she said I'm going to fast and that were going to use the same books next semester... Then I asked her about my visa and work permit she said she will speak with the director again....

Its also kinda hard for me to walk now too cause I'm having a baby soon and I need all that I can get if you know what I mean.....

I don't have a problem looking for work, will take me 1-2 weeks at most.

seems like some scam is going on too, maby their lazy or they just don't wanna take care of me and pocket the money instead?

Maybe you are not as good as you think you are......maybe you have missed some days at work...........maybe they are giving you another opportunity to redeem yourself.

Maybe that is why they extended your probation.

o ya I missed 1 day at work because I didn't sign in, they deducted 1000 Baht.... They also told me after the 3 months probation I will get 4 sick days off paid, but I not willing to risk it since it has been extended now.....

Working With Weirdos guy a works grabs my ass and likes it

#1 User is online Dragonquest.

Posted 32 minutes ago

I work with a weirdo. The school loves him and he's a nice guy most of the time(He's on his 2nd year at the school, I just started), but sometimes he verbally abuses me and is insulting. Some days he spanks my ass and likes it, I know this is sexual harassment but this is Thailand and I don't want to make a big deal about things, what would you do in this situation? I don't want to piss the guy off because I work with him daily and he's kinda of like my partner too.

Could your refusal of a work permit be anything to do with the thread you just posted today about Mr nice guy most of the time, who seems to like to spank your ass.. :whistling::rolleyes:

Edited by MB1

If the way you use and write English on this forum is any indication of your teaching performance, I can see why you failed probation.

I suggest if you are planning to be employed in the teaching profession, work harder at how you are perceived by others.

Using words such as Yall are not a good indicator for an English teacher.

Not passing probation at a Government School is a clear indication of some major problems.

If the way you use and write English on this forum is any indication of your teaching performance, I can see why you failed probation.

I suggest if you are planning to be employed in the teaching profession, work harder at how you are perceived by others.

Using words such as Yall are not a good indicator for an English teacher.

Not passing probation at a Government School is a clear indication of some major problems.

I am clearly a native speaker and not here for cut-downs, I am who I am and we are all clearly unique from one another. Thai's should also learn slang and idioms like ya'll and it doesn't mean I'm not a good teacher , who are you to decide that? lol

Ya the problems are with the Thai school system and they way they treat farangs, its not right and it not fair. Corruption runs rampant in this country, take toxin for exmaple...

Without a work permit you are no allowed to work and will not get an extension of stay from immigration, wether you are in a probation period or not has nothing to do with that. How are you staying now in Thailand?

I'm on a tourist visa now unfortunatly...

This topic and others by the OP will be closed. From your posting history you are clearly a male, but now you are insinuating that you are a pregnant female. That smells of trolling and winding people up.

//Closed//