British Embassy-Marriage Certification

tomwct

I am helping a good friend of mine with getting his papers to marry his Thai GF. He is 66 and was married in England 35 years ago but the marriage only lasted 6 years. He does not have a copy of his divorce papers. Will he have any problems when he presents his certification to the embassy that he is no longer married and is eligible for marriage??? I am an American and all we have to due is certify that we are eligible for marriage and are divorced, if we were! No other documentation is required!!! Would this be the same at the British Embassy!!! Thanks for your assistance!!!

When I got married all I needed from my consulate was a letter to the Ampur saying I was free to marry, no mention of previous marital status.

Why not just lie about it say you have never been married, and if you get caught out, stare them straight in the face and say you forgot. Its not as if they are going to check up on this.

"Sleep with a Government employee, they need the exercise."

Cant say about the British embassy but he will need a certified copy of the divorce decree for the Amphur.

I have been married twice in Thailand and the Ampur here does not require anything except the Authorization from the Foreign Ministry, which will be issued in Bangkok after the Marriage Certification is signed by the British Embassy (Or any Embassy) and translated into Thai!!! Getting married and divorced in Thailand is easier to get than a drivers license!!! No Tea Money is required!!!

Cant say about the British embassy but he will need a certified copy of the divorce decree for the Amphur.

I have been married twice in Thailand and the Ampur here does not require anything except the Authorization from the Foreign Ministry, which will be issued in Bangkok after the Marriage Certification is signed by the British Embassy (Or any Embassy) and translated into Thai!!! Getting married and divorced in Thailand is easier to get than a drivers license!!! No Tea Money is required!!!

Your incorrect on the requirement of the amphur requiring the certified divorce. Its a national law. If they ask for it or not that's another question.

Your incorrect on the requirement of the amphur requiring the certified divorce. Its a national law. If they ask for it or not that's another question.

If you say you've been married before and your English in Thailand the Goverment requires two copies of your final decree absolute from the court refering to the previous marriage as thereby dissolved.

You can get copies from the court in question or I have heard you can make an affirmation at the British Embassy and have it verified by them.

I think this fellow should just declare he was never married and have the certification issued by the British Embassy!!! That way he should not have any problems. What do you think???

I guess that would be Ok, the main thing is he is already divorced, dodgy if he was not.

I think this fellow should just declare he was never married and have the certification issued by the British Embassy!!! That way he should not have any problems. What do you think???

Not sure, in this day of mass data storage it would be easy for the embassy to check. Indeed they do not sign the affirmation immediately you have to go back and collect it the following day, so they must do some checks, otherwise it seems the affirmation is pretty useless.

He can get an original copy of his decree absolute if he can remember which court it was and what year. This would be readily available from the relevant Court for a small fee and can be applied for by post.

Please bear in mind that swearing an affirmation at the embassy is the same as swearing an affidavit in the British Court and any untruths would be dealt with very severely if discovered.

I guess that would be Ok, the main thing is he is already divorced, dodgy if he was not.

Dodgy??? Pure illegal, its called BIGAMY.

Not sure, in this day of mass data storage it would be easy for the embassy to check. Indeed they do not sign the affirmation immediately you have to go back and collect it the following day, so they must do some checks, otherwise it seems the affirmation is pretty useless.

He can get an original copy of his decree absolute if he can remember which court it was and what year. This would be readily available from the relevant Court for a small fee and can be applied for by post.

Please bear in mind that swearing an affirmation at the embassy is the same as swearing an affidavit in the British Court and any untruths would be dealt with very severely if discovered.

They do not do any checks whatsoever. I don't know how they have the cheek to charge so much money for it really.

Dodgy??? Pure illegal, its called BIGAMY.

There is no reason, apart from being too lazy, why he cannot get a copy of his decree nisi from the General Register Office - unless, of course, he is not divorced.

If he is intending to use the marriage to get his Thai wife into the UK or to get her a UK partial state pension on his death and he is not divorced, then she will be disappointed.