Mobile Phone Number Question

Genericnic

In a prior question that I asked, I found that there is no number portability (moving a phone number from one service provider to another) in Thailand. With that in mind, I have the following questions:

When I arrive in Thailand, I will be in Bangkok for the first week. I would like to get a mobile phone as soon as I arrive. Assuming I get a prepaid card, is the number I receive attached to a specific area? For example, is the number I will get (say at MBK) linked to the Bangkok area? Would someone that knows how to interpret Thai phone numbers be able to look at the number and know it was issued in the Bangkok area? If the numbers are tied to a particular area, then I have a second question.

The second question relates to calling charges. If I have the number I got in Bangkok and want to call Chiang Mai or Krabi as examples, is there a long distance charge or, as I have here in the U.S., can I call anywhere in the country for the same rate? I have a non-roaming plan here that lets me do that.

The last question grows out of the fact that after the first week in Bangkok, I will be residing in Chiang Mai long term. If the number that I get in Bangkok is connected in some way to the Bangkok area (see the first question) and I move to Chiang Mai, would I need to or be better off to get a "local" number in Chiang Mai?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The number doesn't indicate the area, same price applies all over Thailand. Domestic it doesn't matter to which area you call.

But there are many different packages determining the price of a call, just have to shift true them and decide which package is the best for you.

The number doesn't indicate the area, same price applies all over Thailand. Domestic it doesn't matter to which area you call.

But there are many different packages determining the price of a call, just have to shift true them and decide which package is the best for you.

Thanks for the information Mario. Just what I needed to know.

David

BTW, number portability is supposed to go on to affect on 1 September 2010.

As Mario2008 said, all domestic mobile phone calling plans offer per minute charges and there is no surcharge for distance, and unlike the fixed number calling plan there is no location associated with the mobile numbering plan.

BTW, number portability is supposed to go on to affect on 1 September 2010.

As Mario2008 said, all domestic mobile phone calling plans offer per minute charges and there is no surcharge for distance, and unlike the fixed number calling plan there is no location associated with the mobile numbering plan.

Thanks for the reply lomatopo.

I hope the change to number portability goes more smoothly in LOS than it did in the U.S. biggrin.gif

As for the per minute charges, sounds like I just need to shop around. And going to MBK for a phone should be a fun outing my first day in Bangkok.

Thanks again.

Are you considering a pre-paid (pay as you go) SIM or a post paid contract? Price plans vary, and it is also worth checking out signal strength in the area you will spend most of your time. In Bangkok you shouldn't have a problem using either DTAC or AIS but in some up country areas one may be better than the other.

<P>DTAC and AIS both have excellent reception here in Chiang Mai. There are so many plans available, it's difficult to choose. All depends on how many minutes you use during a month to month basis. If you want to keep the same telephone number for long time (yrs), you look for a plan that when you top up for 100 baht, you get a 30 day extension on the expire date of the SIM card.<BR><BR>If you talk for over 50 minutes a month, then choose a plan that cost less than 1 baht per minute. </P>

I hope the change to number portability goes more smoothly in LOS than it did in the U.S. biggrin.gif

As for the per minute charges, sounds like I just need to shop around. And going to MBK for a phone should be a fun outing my first day in Bangkok.

Thanks again.

You may be over-thinking this a bit. Its really not that complex. You can review the various promotions which are available on-line, for example:

AIS/One-2-Call

DTAC/Happy

You can check phone prices:

ThaiMobileCenter

Jaymart

It should take you no more than 30 minutes at MBK to buy a phone, a SIM, enable the SIM and start making calls.

There are lots of monthly promotions and it is easy to change plans so don't worry about getting everything perfect on the first try.

The most important thing is to try and identify your voice/text/data requirements, then pick the best plan(s) to match your needs.

DTAC does offer post-paid accounts to people without work permits, just a passport and credit card, according to their website.

Local number portability should be OK as the leading 4 service providers have established a clearing house. How well it works, how much it costs and what happens to any remaining balance are yet to be determined. In theory it should lead to lower prices but in reality keeping a number just isn't a priority for 95% of the mobile users. In some cases not keeping a number is a benefit.

if he's a tourist post-paid is NOT an option, that's for people who live here & have a work permit

bdw, I'll be coming under a non-imm O-A (longstay) since I am retiring to Chiang Mai. I should have put that in earlier.

David