Australian Red-Shirt Conor David Purcell To Be Deported From Thailand

webfact

More ex-pat schadenfreude at Thaivisa....

People you won't meet in a bar in Pattaya (and not just because they're dead)

Thomas Paine

Le Marquis de Lafayette

T.E Lawrence

James Brooke

Eamon De Valera

Che Guevara

Charley Wilson

...and let's not forget all those lazy drunken louts of the International Brigade who stuck their noses into Generalissimo Franco's business...

It is the privilege of the young to be revolutionaries. It is the sentence of the old to vilify idealism from the bar stool.

Wow, I'd love to be able to use big words like "schadenfreude", and to be able to come up with such deep comments.

"A journey starts with the first step"-meet me half-way and read a book. ;)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More ex-pat schadenfreude at Thaivisa....

People you won't meet in a bar in Pattaya (and not just because they're dead)

Thomas Paine

Le Marquis de Lafayette

T.E Lawrence

James Brooke

Eamon De Valera

Che Guevara

Charley Wilson

...and let's not forget all those lazy drunken louts of the International Brigade who stuck their noses into Generalissimo Franco's business...

It is the privilege of the young to be revolutionaries. It is the sentence of the old to vilify idealism from the bar stool.

Wow, I'd love to be able to use big words like "schadenfreude", and to be able to come up with such deep comments.

"A journey starts with the first step"-meet me half-way and read a book. ;)

Mind you, it might have been better if Lafayette, Lawrence and Che Guevara had stayed at home. Not sure about the others. Paine was OK.

Imagine the United States as a peaceful dominion and member of the British Commonwealth - no civil war and its aftermath, and early entry into the two world wars preventing a lot of death and horror.

Imagine Arabia without Saudi/Wahhabi hegemony and its love of fundamentalist oppression.

Imagine Che, having softened his love of violence and brutality, mellowing into a responsible maturity and not available as an icon of irresponsible youth resistance.

whistling.gif

Having followed the situation I had wondered when and if a foreigner would become involved in the recent conflicts. I was actually quite surprised when I read about Mr. Purcell.

It is neither my right to sit in judgement of Mr. Purcell nor to comment on his motivation.

I think any foreigner in Thailand including (Mr. Purcell) would understand such actions would have the consequences which followed. i.e. the end result of deportation.

Many posters have flamed Mr Purcell and many have spoken from backgrounds of countries with a history of democracy going back many centuries demonstrated by references to freedom of speech, the right to get involved and being used as a pawn.

It is my personal experience I cannot think as a Thai thinks. Therefore I am not qualified to offer advice per se. I can comment from observation

In order to bring this issue into context Thailand has a history of a patron/client culture (as opposed to democratic) dating back thousands of years.

Thailand has only recently commenced the struggle to create a democratic society and is caught in a possibly unique situation of transition in the creation of a (western) democratic society from the previous (or perhaps even current) patron/client society..

It may be possible in the future for Thai community values of 'us' as opposed to western values of 'self' to produce a successful and unique new model of 'democracy' unlike any previous. The cultural elements exist.

Then perhaps the Mr Purcell's of the future may freely be able to stand and say what they think although it would probably not affect Thai way of thinking.

As unfair as it sounded, I think the judge got it right by saying as a foreigner Mr Purcell may not have understood the law. Perhaps the judge infers here; 'You may not understand my meaning because you were not brought up to think as a Thai thinks'.

In my opinion the judge illustrated a sense of jai dee regarding Mr Purcell's outbursts (or contempt of court) which would not have been shown in many western courts. I will not opine on the legality of why Mr. Purcell was in court as I am happy to observe but have no wish to interfere.

I have met many Irishmen, sometimes classified as Ireland's largest export commodity, only one of whom I did not like. To many they seem a deranged lot at times so I can understand the comments.

I thank Mr Purcell for enabling myself to gain a little more insight into Thai culture and wish him well. I am thinking he will miss Thailand in the future.

Having followed the situation I had wondered when and if a foreigner would become involved in the recent conflicts. I was actually quite surprised when I read about Mr. Purcell.

It is neither my right to sit in judgement of Mr. Purcell nor to comment on his motivation.

I think any foreigner in Thailand including (Mr. Purcell) would understand such actions would have the consequences which followed. i.e. the end result of deportation.

Many posters have flamed Mr Purcell and many have spoken from backgrounds of countries with a history of democracy going back many centuries demonstrated by references to freedom of speech, the right to get involved and being used as a pawn.

It is my personal experience I cannot think as a Thai thinks. Therefore I am not qualified to offer advice per se. I can comment from observation

In order to bring this issue into context Thailand has a history of a patron/client culture (as opposed to democratic) dating back thousands of years.

Thailand has only recently commenced the struggle to create a democratic society and is caught in a possibly unique situation of transition in the creation of a (western) democratic society from the previous (or perhaps even current) patron/client society..

It may be possible in the future for Thai community values of 'us' as opposed to western values of 'self' to produce a successful and unique new model of 'democracy' unlike any previous. The cultural elements exist.

Then perhaps the Mr Purcell's of the future may freely be able to stand and say what they think although it would probably not affect Thai way of thinking.

As unfair as it sounded, I think the judge got it right by saying as a foreigner Mr Purcell may not have understood the law. Perhaps the judge infers here; 'You may not understand my meaning because you were not brought up to think as a Thai thinks'.

In my opinion the judge illustrated a sense of jai dee regarding Mr Purcell's outbursts (or contempt of court) which would not have been shown in many western courts. I will not opine on the legality of why Mr. Purcell was in court as I am happy to observe but have no wish to interfere.

I have met many Irishmen, sometimes classified as Ireland's largest export commodity, only one of whom I did not like. To many they seem a deranged lot at times so I can understand the comments.

I thank Mr Purcell for enabling myself to gain a little more insight into Thai culture and wish him well. I am thinking he will miss Thailand in the future.

For better or for worse the elite educated revolutionaries of 1932 were enamoured of and adopted the perceived benefits of western political philosophy just as HM Rama IV & Rama V adopted the benefits of scientific thought.

Today the common folk have internet and community radio access to the same information. I have personally witnessed young people across BKK being educated in marxism at the late night university of McDonalds (now there's an irony)

If Kings Rama IV and V headed the technology revolution in the 19th C and Pridi and Pibulsongkram represent the middle-class revolution of western political thought in the 20th C, who do you think will be leading the next revolution in the 21st C? All current indicators suggest it will come from the bottom of the pyramid.

For better or for worse.....

I'm starting to believe the people that say the farangs in Thailand are the rejects from their own countries. I keep seeing examples of this and it's getting hard to ignore.

Well I too feel sorry that these idiots go to Thailand because the life seems easier for them.

But we cannot say "all" farangs, not all people have dirty mind.

In my opinion Thai Government is doing a big mistake by granting Visas to farangs based "only" on their bank account deposit, yet any mad farang with some money will see a green light in Thailand for doing any kind of illegal they may not do in their hometown.

I am beginning to believe what the Thai guy said about most Farongs are rejects from other countries but what he seems to dismiss is that if the girls kept their pants on the Farongs wouldn't bother to take theirs off. Maybe some literate Thai can tell me why since prostitution is illegal I can get laid by about 99% of the girls here if I pay enough. LOL Whoops I meant 98%

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

I'm starting to believe the people that say the farangs in Thailand are the rejects from their own countries. I keep seeing examples of this and it's getting hard to ignore.

You really do not want to know what farangs think and say about Thai and sadly it gets proven daily to be true in every aspect.

And i am not only talking about Thailand but Thai's in the rest of the world and perception of Thailand.

Perhaps you may want to travel outside of Thailand once and see for yourself, rather then listen to what "your people" are saying.

Look forward to reading about his campaign to defame Thailand in every way possible in the press and online, which will undoubtedly kick off as soon as he touches down in Aus.

Agree - he has eaten humble pie to secure his release - quite the opposite of the verbal abuse he threw at the judge and the police - his time in Prison here will only help to provoke his already unstable mentality and like so many before - he will be paid for his story in 60 Minutes or one of the other gutter media sensationalists.

A agree with the other post - they should have left him in for the two years. Not his fight and not his country. ermm.gif

GUY ONLY SPOKE AT A RALLY!!!!!!!

There are thousands of people who travel from country to country protesting against one thing or another. It is not their country nor it is their business yet they still travel and still protest and none of them get arrested and charged(again unless they get violent)

Guy broke the emergency law, but so did the other 30 000 odd people and yet none of them were charged.

Even judge could not slap him with anything so at least he was a decent enough man who just gave him a slap on the wrist to save face.

His charge was ridiculus on the scale of things and so was the punishment.

Same can apply to all the Thais that were protesting in Australia, not only half of them if not most were not even citizens but students, but none of them seemed to want to fly back to fight for whatever they believed in.

Its about time people drop the act and open their eyes.

Yes he should not have been involved, but not because its wrong or illegal, but because this is Thailand where law and order is in the eyes of beholder and thats the only reason, no other reason.

I only wish other country's would start to treat Thai's same as Thai's treat us.

Thai driving without a license-arrested, charged, 3 months in jail -deported

Thai went to some rally-arrested, charged, 3 months in jail-deported

Thai broke any road rules-arrested, charged, 3 months in jail deported

Thai said something bad about the country they live in, arrested, charged 3 months in jail -deported.

Thai jay walked-arrested, charged, 3 months in jail-deported

Edited by kuffki

He may or may not have full deck of cards in his head but speaking at a rally is really no reason to be arrested, charged and deported. For any of you who think otherwise-HAVE A REALITY CHECK!

No Sir ! - the reality check should be yours.

Nothing wrong with having a political view.

You stay in Thailand (or any other repressed country) and you abide by their rules.

This moron did not and, frankly, he was one of those chaps 'looking for a rumble'.

He got one, as did the British idiot Savage, and they both got their just desserts.

If you cannot fathom that one, refer to earlier posts about breaching the terms of an Emergency Decree. It is not the same as parking on double yellow lines.

Well said sir. Please try to remember though, some posters here think they know what reality is when in fact their thoughts couldnt be any further from the truth. Some people THINK they know everything & no amount of convincing evidence will change their perception. :rolleyes:

CORRECT. However, this act was illegal at the time and it was well advertised by the Authorities what would happen to foriegners that conducted themselves in this way.

GUILTY - Sentenced - Deported, capiche? :blink:

CORRECT. However, this act was illegal at the time and it was well advertised by the Authorities what would happen to foriegners that conducted themselves in this way.

GUILTY - Sentenced - Deported, capiche? :blink:

30 000 Thais also broke the law, which was also advertised and ????????????? CAPICHE?

^ Of course its going to be hard to explain anything to you kuffki, but what you have outlined above is never a good legal defence. Just because others have broken the law doesnt take this anywhere. ALSO, there were, have been and problem are going to be more other people, including thais in custody over these issues......of course, thais can't be deported from their own country.

This is a fair result for this douchebag, a short time inside before a oneway trip back to Australia, what did you want for him some sort of medal or ceremony?

^ Of course its going to be hard to explain anything to you kuffki, but what you have outlined above is never a good legal defence. Just because others have broken the law doesnt take this anywhere. ALSO, there were, have been and problem are going to be more other people, including thais in custody over these issues......of course, thais can't be deported from their own country.

This is a fair result for this douchebag, a short time inside before a oneway trip back to Australia, what did you want for him some sort of medal or ceremony?

I see you have adopted local way of thinking very well.

Punish the farang but ok for the local. Can only imagine how good you were as a cop.

Will pull over this car because its BMW, but will let an old Honda go because BMW driver is most likely to pay the fine, while Honda driver will not have the money

Or is it other way around, let BMW driver go, because most likely everything is in order and he has the money to fight it and Honda driver will have something wrong.

Or is it based on the looks, if the driver is Anglo looking then let him go, but if he is of European decent, pull him over because he must be into something illegal.

As i said, yes he did break the law, but so did thousands of others who happen to be local and the only punishment if there ever will be one, would be 2000 baht fine.

He did not burn down the city, he did not fight with police or army, he did not barricade the area, he did not shit on the street nor did he do half of the things that locals did. All he did was speak at a rally.

A fine would of been sufficient enough punishment to fit the so called crime, but if they really want to make the difference and special treatment for the farang then fine him 10 000 baht.

3 months in jail, plus deportation for speaking at a rally is little too much do not think you for the crime committed by thousand of others who walk away with a free bus ride home and no consequences at all.

As i said, his only stupidity was to speak at a rally in a country where law and order is only in the eyes of beholder. but in your opinion this is the best and most fair country on the planet.

What else is left to say.

^dirty big rant, the first half makes little or no sense at all to me.

As for the second half, what information do you possess that would suggest that this fool (or these two foriegn fools) were the only two in custody over this matter?

Do you know him personally? How do you know he wasnt present during any of the other stuff that went on?

Why do you think that there arnt thais that were arrested for committing crimes during this time?

Please don't try to put words into my mouth but rather read what I have written. I really don't think anything that extreeme has occurred this time round, someone doing something wrong got caught and was arrested and charged & dealt with by the countries legal system in a timely and efficient manner. A fair and just sentence was passed and now as far as this chap goes, hes just ancient history for Thailand & apparently now Australias problem. Too bad, so sad.

^dirty big rant, the first half makes little or no sense at all to me.

As for the second half, what information do you possess that would suggest that this fool (or these two foriegn fools) were the only two in custody over this matter?

Do you know him personally? How do you know he wasnt present during any of the other stuff that went on?

Why do you think that there arnt thais that were arrested for committing crimes during this time?

Please don't try to put words into my mouth but rather read what I have written. I really don't think anything that extreeme has occurred this time round, someone doing something wrong got caught and was arrested and charged & dealt with by the countries legal system in a timely and efficient manner. A fair and just sentence was passed and now as far as this chap goes, hes just ancient history for Thailand & apparently now Australias problem. Too bad, so sad.

If he was present at any other events rest assured it woud of been reported, if he was involved in anything else, rest assured he would of been charged with it.

If there were any Thai's arrested it would of been also reported by either government agency's or the red mob.

Besides the leaders and people who were caught starting fires and or attacking authorities none of the people present at the rally were arrested. Have you heard, read otherwise????

The other British guy was recorded on video claiming and encouraging to burn Bangkok, This guy did none of a kind.

So no, punishment does not fit the crime.

If he was present at any other events rest assured it woud of been reported, if he was involved in anything else, rest assured he would of been charged with it.

If there were any Thai's arrested it would of been also reported by either government agency's or the red mob.

Besides the leaders and people who were caught starting fires and or attacking authorities none of the people present at the rally were arrested. Have you heard, read otherwise????

The other British guy was recorded on video claiming and encouraging to burn Bangkok, This guy did none of a kind.

So no, punishment does not fit the crime.

Your point 1: Only if somebody else new about it or perhaps by your understanding, only if the BIB were good enough to obtain that information.

I havent followed much at all about the arrests following this, including what happened to the arrested political leaders, so no is my answer to that.

Your final point is a matter of opinion, unfortunately what you, me or anyone else here 'thinks' plays no relevance whatsoever. The matter has been apparently dealt with by authorities & there are no doubt others (including me) that think this punishment fits the crime & some that don;t think it was severe enough. TOUGH LUCK.

The only point I would like to make is that the criminal justice system in many countries doesnt allow for these things to be dealt with in such expedient manner. I think, everything considered, that this matter has been finalised in a very speedy, professional and efficient manner and the offender should be greatful for that. Try doing what he did in some other countries in the Asias and middle east and find out where it gets you. As for him getting the kick from Thailand, 'Som Nom Na" maybe next life he will think before acting.

<snip>

As i said, yes he did break the law, but so did thousands of others who happen to be local and the only punishment if there ever will be one, would be 2000 baht fine.

<snip>

Were there thousands that got up on stage inciting violence?

Kuffki, where the other 30,000 thais up on stage giving a speech? Perhaps he was lucky he wasn't shot in the head like the Thai ex general.

I do not think giving speech or listening to it makes any difference. I do not recall him telling people to pick up weapons and go fight.

His speech was to support their cause and nothing else.

Just like hundreds that burn American flag and make speeches about the country, in the same way they could be charged with inciting terrorism(depending how you look at it)

Again i do not support his actions, but i do not think there was a big enough crime committed to spend time in jail and be deported. A larger fine is rather more appropriate punishment. If he was unable to pay the fine, then authorities can imprison him and deport him

<snip>

<snip>

Savage incited violence, this guy just spoke in support of movement and fight for democracy. He did not state to burn the city or to pick up weapons and start shooting.

He did say though that he was shot by the army in both of his legs

<snip>

<snip>

Savage incited violence, this guy just spoke in support of movement and fight for democracy. He did not state to burn the city or to pick up weapons and start shooting.

OK ... rephrase ... Were there thousands that got on stage? ... or ... Were there thousands that got on stage telling lies?

You can't compare his punishment to the punishment of thousands of others who did NOT do what he did.

Strange little world you live in Kuffki. The way I understand what you are saying is that you don't object whether or not this fool was guilty but only the sentence. Do you recognise that this is Thailand and they have system and people in place to deal with issues such as this. My point being that there is a judge here whos opinion differs greatly from yours and his is the one that counts.

Good work by the Criminal justice sytem in Thailand, that should be recognised by most rational people I believe, seems like you and young percy need to get over it and move on.

<snip>

<snip>

OK ... rephrase ... Were there thousands that got on stage? ... or ... Were there thousands that got on stage telling lies?

You can't compare his punishment to the punishment of thousands of others who did NOT do what he did.

You are correct, but thousands of others also broke that same law. and thousands of others did not get any punishment at all.

H was charged with breaking emergency law, he was not charged with speaking in the stage and telling lies.

How is emergency law different when applied to someone speaking on the stage and someone cheering him on at the stage or by the stage?

Thats the point

Well isn't it the same the world over? The guys that get on stage for a rant get arrested. Not really logistically possible to arrest everyone. Just standard practice, take away the entertainment from the masses. Why arrest everyone when arresting the stagemasters will suffice.

Strange little world you live in Kuffki. The way I understand what you are saying is that you don't object whether or not this fool was guilty but only the sentence. Do you recognise that this is Thailand and they have system and people in place to deal with issues such as this. My point being that there is a judge here whos opinion differs greatly from yours and his is the one that counts.

Good work by the Criminal justice sytem in Thailand, that should be recognised by most rational people I believe, seems like you and young percy need to get over it and move on.

I only see his foolishness for choosing Thailand, i do not see his crime -full stop.

Whats good for the gander must be good for the goose(or something like that)

The only thing he did was speak at a rally. there are thousands of you bitter retired old man who are happy to condemn the guy and praise Thailand.

Again for the 10th time, there are thousands of people who travel around the world to hold rallies and protests and none of them get arrested, thrown into jail and then deported.

There are protesters at G8, G20 meetings, Japanese whale hunting, Israelli occupation, American invasions etc etc etc etc etc and

Just expressing your opinion in pubic does not deserve to be locked up and deported, unless of course it is in Thailand.

What i find amazing is you and hundreds of others who bluntly support such treatment of a foreigner who expressed his view. There must be a reason why so many of you chose Thailand as a new home and totally in love with everything.-sad, very sad indeed.

Personally i would not have gotten involved in the rally, personally i would not have spoken at the rally, but that does not mean that the man is such evil for you and others to condemn him.

I would not have gotten involved and will not get involved for one reason and one reason only, because as a foreigner i have no civil or any rights at all in this country

May be if he had little more support from the fellow countrymen, then his charge and everything else was dealt with in a different manner, but since all of you are too busy loving Thailand, every time foreigner gets into trouble for whatever reason, all you seem to do is condemn him rather then show any kind of support.

Mr Savage did call for violence and arson, i have no problem with his sentence, but again both get pretty much the same punishment yet 1 man incited violence when 2 man just spoke.

Fair? i do not think so, but of course for the Thailand lovers, any pile of crap is a delicious meal!

Well isn't it the same the world over? The guys that get on stage for a rant get arrested. Not really logistically possible to arrest everyone. Just standard practice, take away the entertainment from the masses. Why arrest everyone when arresting the stagemasters will suffice.

oK, So have all the speakers have been arrested and jailed for 3 months?

How many of the leaders were denied bail? especially leaders who did not incite violence

The only thing he did was speak at a rally. there are thousands of you bitter retired old man who are happy to condemn the guy and praise Thailand.

"thousands of you bitter retired old man" :lol:

What classifys someone as an old man? Thousands? I didnt think that many had posted on the issue. Of course kuffki, you know what they say don't you? (tip: someting about not being able to put an old head on young shoulders). ;)

"thousands of you bitter retired old man" :lol:

What classifys someone as an old man? Thousands? I didnt think that many had posted on the issue. Of course kuffki, you know what they say don't you? (tip: someting about not being able to put an old head on young shoulders). ;)

Ok, would hundreds make you feel better?

^ Up to you kuffers, there might be a few old cranky ones on here but its normally the yunions that make em that way.

Of course Im not that much older than yourself but naturally you would include me in that cateogry. I am wondering how you classify someone as old and cranky, is that perhaps someone that has lived a little longer than you and might have a little more understanding and experience, not to mention expertise.