How Wide Can I Make A Cage For The Back Of My Pickup?

stevehaigh

i have a 4 door vigo and i want to make a cage for the back so i can transport more crap. there are millions of already made ones for 2 door and xtra cab vigos but nothing i have seen for a 4 door and i'm not about to change truck.

so i would like the cage thing to go a bit wider than the bed, but i wonder what the rules are on max legal width? is it no wider than the wheel arches maybe? i know Thais seem to get away with a 3 story house on the back or their pickup but i need to be more mindful of the police because of my rather pale complexion.

any idea what the actual law on that is?

thx steve

I suggest you find the place that supplies them. We have a lot of them here in Sukhothai.

Look on Thai search sites. What the Thai drivers get away with like you say might not go down well with you.

In my families experiance " how high and wide can you go !! " I have asked that question !! the answer was it all depends how much you want to pay the police.

I just smile like you do and leave at that.

I suggest you find the place that supplies them. We have a lot of them here in Sukhothai.

Look on Thai search sites. What the Thai drivers get away with like you say might not go down well with you.

In my families experiance " how high and wide can you go !! " I have asked that question !! the answer was it all depends how much you want to pay the police.

for a 4 door? i've never seen one. anyhow, i priced up the steel and it will only cost about 2000 baht to make, i think 20k to buy. ok, home made will not look pretty but i don't care

when you talk of a cage do you mean one with a roof. Or the chrome side bars that come about level with the roof. 

I have that style on my 4 door Ford Ranger. 3,500b because the guy had to extend cos the bed is slightly longer than izuzu's and toyota's (3200b otherwise). So very easy to find just stop at the many shops selling the chrome cages along the highways.

for a 4 door? i've never seen one. anyhow, i priced up the steel and it will only cost about 2000 baht to make, i think 20k to buy. ok, home made will not look pretty but i don't care

whatever you bolt on top of your bed, it can be very high and/or very wide or just a 2 inch lid, it must be inspected and approved by LTD, and the change of bed noted in reg book page 18. Then you show this to BiB every time they pull you over:)

• Like 1

whatever you bolt on top of your bed, it can be very high and/or very wide or just a 2 inch lid, it must be inspected and approved by LTD, and the change of bed noted in reg book page 18. Then you show this to BiB every time they pull you over:)

really. i have a standard camper shell thing on there now but its removable and the BIB never queried that. i guess i need to go into the LTD and ask about the rules on sticking a cage on the back.

i think i know the rules now

first off, no wider than the wheels. no higher than 3m from the ground (that's pretty high!). you need a permit if its higher than the roof. if not as high as the roof, no problem, just stick it on.

if higher than the roof you need to go have it checked, get the permit and the LTD will write a note in the tabien rot. its then permanent part of the truck, if you want to take it out, you are suppoesed to go back to the LTD and have it removed from the TR. this is clearly not very convenient if like me you plan to only put it on when you need it and leave it at home most of the time.

i think i know the rules now

first off, no wider than the wheels. no higher than 3m from the ground (that's pretty high!). you need a permit if its higher than the roof. if not as high as the roof, no problem, just stick it on.

if higher than the roof you need to go have it checked, get the permit and the LTD will write a note in the tabien rot. its then permanent part of the truck, if you want to take it out, you are suppoesed to go back to the LTD and have it removed from the TR. this is clearly not very convenient if like me you plan to only put it on when you need it and leave it at home most of the time.

should check again

it can be wider than the wheels, but if its wider than the mirrors you need new wider mirrors. tatas NGV comes wider than wheels as stock. Flatbed to house CNG tanks underneath

any height should be inspected and noted in book

Anyway thats how the big players do it, like ATM service trucks, mobile ATMs, Subway, large chain airconsuppliers etc

But 5 LTD asked, 5 different replyesB)

If your just going to use it on few occasions, just pay the fine, usually bribe 200 baht