Indian Ingredients Where To Get

Oink

Is there a good shop that sells Indian ingredients? Some of the supermarkets sell "cook in sauces” and the odd tin of curry powder but nothing like the real stuff. The Indian restaurants must get there supplies from somewhere!

I think there's an Indian ingredient shop on Soi 17, South Pattaya. If you are a serious Indian cook it would be cheaper to stock up in Bangkok. An Indian restaurant owner told me that's what they do. He told me the ingredients in Pattaya were twice as expensive as in Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing

I've yet to taste a decent curry in Pattaya, so I wouldn't bother with shopping where the restaurant owners do. The best thing is to dig out a decent recipe to make your own curry powders off the internet. It's not difficult, I had an Indian mate for many years who refused to use the ready-mixed curry powders, he just blended the spices together himself each time he cooked. The component spices are reasonably cheap and readily available in Friendship, Makro, Villa, etc., especially if you buy the locally produced spices rather the much more expensive stuff imported from Europe. Villa has frozen nan breads. You can get fresh coriander in any decent vegetable market.

I've yet to taste a decent curry in Pattaya, so I wouldn't bother with shopping where the restaurant owners do. The best thing is to dig out a decent recipe to make your own curry powders off the internet. It's not difficult, I had an Indian mate for many years who refused to use the ready-mixed curry powders, he just blended the spices together himself each time he cooked. The component spices are reasonably cheap and readily available in Friendship, Makro, Villa, etc., especially if you buy the locally produced spices rather the much more expensive stuff imported from Europe. Villa has frozen nan breads. You can get fresh coriander in any decent vegetable market.

i am a serious Indian cook and i can assure you anyone who knows anything about curry powder would not dream of using the stuff whilst cooking Indian dishes, there is a very good Indian supply shop near asoke in bkk. Another good idea is just google indian cooking and you will find a host of web sites including videos on step by step. All give ingrediants I would suggest you start out with one dish and just buy the ingrediants for that.

I found the Indian supply shop via google at asoke including directions. good luck.

Thanks for the info guys. I will have look and see what they have. Who knows, I used to love scratching around in the Indian shops back in the UK. I may even find some garlic pickle.

Have not tried Punjabi Tadka yet. My intention was to cook some up myself , that way I can be sure my curry will not be over 3,000 calories or with more oil in it than the gulf of Mexico.