Kasikorn Debit Card

Two quick questions:

1.For those who have a Kasikorn debit card, can it be used to make payments online? Like make a hotel reservation or pay for airline tickets? I'm assuming the answer is no, since the card doesn't have a name, only a "preferred customer" thing on it, but I thought I would ask anyway.

2. Does the card work in other countries? I'm traveling to Malaysia soon. Can I withdraw money there using an ATM or do I need to bring all my money in cash (crazy!).

Two quick answers:

1. No, you cannot use your debit card online, you need to ask for a web based shopping card, which is a virtual visa card linked to your account, they work fine but you might have a problem using it to book air tickets where you need to show a ticket at check-in, have a look here http://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/debit/pages/kwebshopping.aspx

2. You can use the card abroad as you would with any visa cash card, I have used mine throughout Asia, Australia and Europe and have never encountered a problem.

By the way, you can order a debit card with your name embossed as opposed to Privileged Member, takes about a week.

Ah, didn't know you could order a card with your name on it. I'll stop by my branch tomorrow and talk to them (you're supposed to be able to do it online, but that part of the website is not working at the moment). Thanks for the info on the cyber card as well. I've never had a problem when buying etickets. In fact, I've never once been asked for a credit card at the check in counter.

having your name on the card only has disadvantages, except if merchants insist on it.

And there was me thinking that having my name embossed on my debit card would provide an element of security, like it's my name and I have id to prove it if required, I'm a man it's a mans name on the card, I'm a westerner with a western name - my experience in the UK is that since the introduction of chip and pin some retailers are reluctant to accept generic cards, though I accept others may have different experiences.

You state that "having your name on the card only has disadvantages", I would be grateful if you could advise me what the disadvantages are, I'm clearly missing something here.

I went into Kasikorn today to ask for a debit card with my name on it. It took five tellers and a few phone calls for them to realize that yes, it was possible. They were really nice about it but apparently have never done this before, so they had no idea it was possible. Anyway, they told me two weeks and I'll have the card with my name on it. Thanks for the tip theoldgit.

having your name on the card only has disadvantages, except if merchants insist on it.

And there was me thinking that having my name embossed on my debit card would provide an element of security, like it's my name and I have id to prove it if required, I'm a man it's a mans name on the card, I'm a westerner with a western name - my experience in the UK is that since the introduction of chip and pin some retailers are reluctant to accept generic cards, though I accept others may have different experiences.

You state that "having your name on the card only has disadvantages", I would be grateful if you could advise me what the disadvantages are, I'm clearly missing something here.

So far, I have NEVER, ANYWHERE, been asked for ID when making a CC payment.

They never compare the name on the card with your ID.

About the gender: "it's my daddy's / husband's card!!" doh.

The only thing that counts is the PIN code, especially since the cards with a chip were introduced (the Kasikorn card has no chip)

The shop wants to make the sale, to hel_l with the other things.

Also, the Kasikorn card is "electronic use only".

This means you can't use it in a shop, so there will be nobody to verify your ID to make sure it's you.

I think I have now clearly established why having your name on the card is no advantage.

Let me explain the advantages of a card without name:

- obviously, anyone seeing your card will know your full name.

this might not be a problem in most cases.

Assuming you use a regular CC (not Kasikorn's electronic use only), every restaurant, shop, etc. will know your name. I can't think of any advantages of that, but I can imagine some risks, even if they are really small. Why take risks if there are no rewards?

- flexibility: if you give your card to your wife or children, they can use it without being quizzed about the name on the card

- discretion: if you purchase virtual content on the internet with the card, does the website really have to know your full name? No it doesn't.

you can also make purchases and have them sent to a PO box without disclosing your name.

There is no advantage in disclosing your name to online shops.

there may be more reasons, but essentially I see no advantage in having my name on the card, and I see a few uses for a card without a name as well as added confidentiality.

A card with no name also means anybody can use it, including thieves. Since you only need to be able to copy the signature on the back, it makes things really easy (like you, talking about general cards, not Kasikorn's)

Edited by blyish

A card with no name also means anybody can use it, including thieves. Since you only need to be able to copy the signature on the back, it makes things really easy (like you, talking about general cards, not Kasikorn's)

Anybody can use it ANYWAY, with a name or without name.

Nobody checks the ID, especially when the card has a chip, since it is assumed to be secure.

So far, I have NEVER, ANYWHERE, been asked for ID when making a CC payment. Well lucky old you, because I have. Since they introduced "chip and pin" in the UK some establishments require id that matches the name on your card if you don't have "chip and pin".

They never compare the name on the card with your ID. Again not my experience, and they should.

About the gender: "it's my daddy's / husband's card!!" doh. You shouldn't be be using someone else's card. "doh" - I don't know that word, is it a sign of intelligence?

The only thing that counts is the PIN code, especially since the cards with a chip were introduced (the Kasikorn card has no chip) "chip and pin" cannot be used without a chip.

The shop wants to make the sale, to hel_l with the other things. Yes the shop wants the sale, but it also wants to ensure they get the funds for the transaction.

This means you can't use it in a shop, so there will be nobody to verify your ID to make sure it's you. With respect this proves you haven't got a clue what you are talking about, of course they can be used in shops. Electronic use only means just that, they have to be used electronically, have you ever seen any steam driven credit card readers?

I think I have now clearly established why having your name on the card is no advantage. No not all, and in any case the question was what are the disadvantages, not why there is no advantage, a subtle difference

this might not be a problem in most cases. Agree

Assuming you use a regular CC (not Kasikorn's electronic use only), every restaurant, shop, etc. will know your name. I can't think of any advantages of that, but I can imagine some risks, even if they are really small. Why take risks if there are no rewards? I don't think there are any risks, certainly neither of us have identified one yet.

- flexibility: if you give your card to your wife or children, they can use it without being quizzed about the name on the card Agree providing you are content for them to use copy your signature and I suspect it's against the banks terms, or they could have their own card.

- discretion: if you purchase virtual content on the internet with the card, does the website really have to know your full name? No it doesn't.

you can also make purchases and have them sent to a PO box without disclosing your name.

There is no advantage in disclosing your name to online shops. I think you find that most websites and online shops will require your name and billing address to be sure that the card is valid and they will get their money, but as we are talking about the Kasikorn Debit Card this argument doesn't apply as you cannot use it on line. I have certainly never come accross an online supplier to whom you can just give a number and not the name of the card holder and a delivery address which differs from the billing address, but if that's the case the next time I find a card I will do some serious shopping.

there may be more reasons, but essentially I see no advantage in having my name on the card, and I see a few uses for a card without a name as well as added confidentiality. Well we will have to agree to differ, neither of us will be persuaded by each others arguement so I will leave it there. In the meantime I will continue to have my debit cards personalised and I assume you will not.

[

There is no advantage in disclosing your name to online shops. I think you find that most websites and online shops will require your name and billing address to be sure that the card is valid and they will get their money, but as we are talking about the Kasikorn Debit Card this argument doesn't apply as you cannot use it on line. I have certainly never come accross an online supplier to whom you can just give a number and not the name of the card holder and a delivery address which differs from the billing address, but if that's the case the next time I find a card I will do some serious shopping.

I purchased some speakers for my car online two weeks ago whilst in England using my Kbank card, they were delivered to the address I nominated without an issue (in England), that address was different from the billing address (Thailand billing address).....

Edited by Spoonman

So far, I have NEVER, ANYWHERE, been asked for ID when making a CC payment. Well lucky old you, because I have. Since they introduced "chip and pin" in the UK some establishments require id that matches the name on your card if you don't have "chip and pin".

I have been using chip & pin cards for 22 years, and I have never been asked for ID.

I own one card without PIN, but I only use it online.

But I never used a CC in the UK.

They never compare the name on the card with your ID. Again not my experience, and they should.

About the gender: "it's my daddy's / husband's card!!" doh. You shouldn't be be using someone else's card. "doh" - I don't know that word, is it a sign of intelligence?

Look as I smile at your repartee :jap:

It is very common to send someone else with your card, and when it is a chip & pin card, the shop only cares about the PIN.

The only thing that counts is the PIN code, especially since the cards with a chip were introduced (the Kasikorn card has no chip) "chip and pin" cannot be used without a chip.

obviously :jap:

but the Kasikorn card still has a PIN for the ATM

The shop wants to make the sale, to hel_l with the other things. Yes the shop wants the sale, but it also wants to ensure they get the funds for the transaction.

they get the funds as long as a PIN is used and the card hasn't been frozen by the issuer.

This means you can't use it in a shop, so there will be nobody to verify your ID to make sure it's you. With respect this proves you haven't got a clue what you are talking about, of course they can be used in shops. Electronic use only means just that, they have to be used electronically, have you ever seen any steam driven credit card readers?

I think we have a misunderstanding here. Do you mean the Kasikorn card can be used 'electronically' in shops without a PIN ?

I think I have now clearly established why having your name on the card is no advantage. No not all, and in any case the question was what are the disadvantages, not why there is no advantage, a subtle difference

this might not be a problem in most cases. Agree

Assuming you use a regular CC (not Kasikorn's electronic use only), every restaurant, shop, etc. will know your name. I can't think of any advantages of that, but I can imagine some risks, even if they are really small. Why take risks if there are no rewards? I don't think there are any risks, certainly neither of us have identified one yet.

- flexibility: if you give your card to your wife or children, they can use it without being quizzed about the name on the card Agree providing you are content for them to use copy your signature and I suspect it's against the banks terms, or they could have their own card.

When the chip & PIN is used, there is no need for signature.

yes, talking about regular CCs here, not the Kasikorn card.

for purchasing virtual content, no delivery or billing addresses are required, just name as printed on the card, number, expiry and CVV.

there may be more reasons, but essentially I see no advantage in having my name on the card, and I see a few uses for a card without a name as well as added confidentiality. Well we will have to agree to differ, neither of us will be persuaded by each others arguement so I will leave it there. In the meantime I will continue to have my debit cards personalised and I assume you will not.

yup... ok.

This means you can't use it in a shop, so there will be nobody to verify your ID to make sure it's you.

What do you mean you can't use it in a shop? I use mine in shops all the time. "electronic use only" means they need to have an electronic terminal rather than the old style that takes an imprint of your embossed card.

tgw how have you used chip and pin cards for 22 years i was under the impression theydid not have chip and pin in 1988 they only be introduced last ten years max.

dont you remember the old machines operated by hand and then after that it was electronic macine with no chip and just magnetic strip on back of card with signature needed.

tgw how have you used chip and pin cards for 22 years i was under the impression theydid not have chip and pin in 1988 they only be introduced last ten years max.

dont you remember the old machines operated by hand and then after that it was electronic macine with no chip and just magnetic strip on back of card with signature needed.

Chip and Pin was introduced in the UK in February 2004 and from 2006 the option of signing for Chip and Pin card payments was withdrawn. If retailers accepted a Chip and Pin card for payment without the PIN being used, as it was under their floor limit and it was later declined, they were responsible for the loss. Whilst non Chip and Pin cards, including most overseas cards, are acceptable, many retailers are frightened of not being paid and treat them with extreme caution.

Chip and Pin was introduced in France some years before the UK, though the two systems were not compatible, though they may be now.

I understand that VISA has realized that as no-one actually checks the names at stores, that there is no point in insisting on having the name on the card. In their excitement to spread the world of debit, VISA needed to compete with ATM cards which didn't have any names. That mean that instead of ordering a card from a centralised back office with a card imprinter for putting the names on, and controlling the live card's delivery out to the bank branch and then getting the customer to come back in and get it - they decided to allow blank card stock which could just be linked to the cardholder's bank account on demand when they walk in and want it. The benefit is a 10 minute issuing process instead of 1-2 weeks.

Similarly with the fad around ID type photos on cards. I know for a fact that VISA researched test cards with photos of santa claus and lassie the dog, and all were accepted equally by retailers who never gave them a second glance (US market). Photos and names are "comfort factors" for customers, rather than serious impediments to crime. Each to his own.

Chip and Pin was introduced in the UK in February 2004 and from 2006 the option of signing for Chip and Pin card payments was withdrawn. If retailers accepted a Chip and Pin card for payment without the PIN being used, as it was under their floor limit and it was later declined, they were responsible for the loss. Whilst non Chip and Pin cards, including most overseas cards, are acceptable, many retailers are frightened of not being paid and treat them with extreme caution.

Chip and Pin was introduced in France some years before the UK, though the two systems were not compatible, though they may be now.

I got my first chip card in the late eighties in France.

I hope that solves the mystery.

Edited by manarak

I understand that VISA has realized that as no-one actually checks the names at stores, that there is no point in insisting on having the name on the card. In their excitement to spread the world of debit, VISA needed to compete with ATM cards which didn't have any names. That mean that instead of ordering a card from a centralised back office with a card imprinter for putting the names on, and controlling the live card's delivery out to the bank branch and then getting the customer to come back in and get it - they decided to allow blank card stock which could just be linked to the cardholder's bank account on demand when they walk in and want it. The benefit is a 10 minute issuing process instead of 1-2 weeks.

Similarly with the fad around ID type photos on cards. I know for a fact that VISA researched test cards with photos of santa claus and lassie the dog, and all were accepted equally by retailers who never gave them a second glance (US market). Photos and names are "comfort factors" for customers, rather than serious impediments to crime. Each to his own.

My point of view exactly, plus add extra privacy if you need it (like when paying subscriptions on websites for example).

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to use my Kasikorn debit Visa card in different shops , buying a mobile phone and laptop but I was told its not possible , I had to find the nearest ATM to withdraw money.

They would only accept real credit cards in the shops. ..

Kasikorn offer credit cards only to foreigners with a WP and an income over 50k.

Edited by balo

I tried to use my Kasikorn debit Visa card in different shops , buying a mobile phone and laptop but I was told its not possible , I had to find the nearest ATM to withdraw money.

I, on the other hand, have used my Kasikorn debit card in Thailand, and around the world, to buy many items, including a laptop.

Very strange.

I, on the other hand, have used my Kasikorn debit card in Thailand, and around the world, to buy many items, including a laptop.

Very strange.

Yes very strange , I will visit my local branch and ask, maybe there's something wrong with it.