Education Visa

Schools don't give ED-visas, a visa must be obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate and they decide to give you a single or multiple ED-visa. For that a factor is where you apply for the visa.

If you are talking about extensions of stay once in Thailand, you will only get 90 day extensions of stay unless you are studying at an university. University students are the only ones who get 1 year extensions of stay.

Khon Kaen University offers three tracts of studies to international students: non-degree, undergraduate, and graduate. The non-degree programs include short-course training, continuing education courses, workshops, and other activities related to research or to Khon Kaen University's activities. International students who are interested in registering for a regular course at Khon Kaen University but do not intend to earn a degree, may also apply for a non-degree tract. The application process and acceptance to a non-degree tract depends on the faculty, institution, or organization which is responsible for the particular non-degree course.

http://www.news.kku....nt/view/111/54/

Perhaps a little more info from the O/P is in order as it could be helpful in answering the question. :whistling:

Where exactly in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" are you located or intending to study thai; Bangkok, Pattaya, the South, Chiang Mai, Issan, or up country in Nakhon Nowhere?

There is certainly NO shortage of private thai language schools in the Bangkok Metro area, which are registered with the Ministry of Education and can issue you the paperwork to secure a Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa at a neighboring country's thai embassy/consulate.

As has been pointed out, you're unlikely to get more than a single entry Non-O, Type-ED visa attending a private thai language school, even after paying a year's tuition up front (the standard deal most schools have going now). Now your mileage may vary when enrolling in a 'real' university's thai language study program. Usually for a private thai language school, unless you secure the visa in your home country prior to comin' here (where I have seen multi-entry year long Non-O Type ED visas issued for students),it is highly unlikely you'd get more than a single entry 90 day Non-O Type ED.

After that, the school will provide you with additional documentation to secure you an in-country '90 day extension of stay' based on learning the thai language at your local thai immigrations office. This is done for the entire year, at the cost of 1900baht per extension of stay.

Again depending on where you are in thailand, there is probably a school not too far from you which can meet your needs. FWIW; now some schools (forum sponsors too) offer lessons online via Skype, if you're not near one of their branches.

Good luck.

Edited by tod-daniels

Perhaps a little more info from the O/P is in order as it could be helpful in answering the question. :whistling:

Where exactly in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" are you located or intending to study thai; Bangkok, Pattaya, the South, Chiang Mai, Issan, or up country in Nakhon Nowhere?

There is certainly NO shortage of private thai language schools in the Bangkok Metro area, which are registered with the Ministry of Education and can issue you the paperwork to secure a Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa at a neighboring country's thai embassy/consulate.

As has been pointed out, you're unlikely to get more than a single entry Non-O, Type-ED visa attending a private thai language school, even after paying a year's tuition up front (the standard deal most schools have going now). Now your mileage may vary when enrolling in a 'real' university's thai language study program. Usually for a private thai language school, unless you secure the visa in your home country prior to comin' here (where I have seen multi-entry year long Non-O Type ED visas issued for students),it is highly unlikely you'd get more than a single entry 90 day Non-O Type ED.

After that, the school will provide you with additional documentation to secure you an in-country '90 day extension of stay' based on learning the thai language at your local thai immigrations office. This is done for the entire year, at the cost of 1900baht per extension of stay.

Again depending on where you are in thailand, there is probably a school not too far from you which can meet your needs. FWIW; now some schools (forum sponsors too) offer lessons online via Skype, if you're not near one of their branches.

Good luck.

I can confirm this , i received in my home country a 1 year MULTIPLE entry visa ( they refused to give a lower term visa, only 1 year multiple possible:rolleyes: )

included are your unlimited re-entry's payed already !!, i follow language courses , and make my visa runs (2000bath / extensions 1900 bath = 100 bath difference only ) and no hassle n the border , no questions asked, no "semi exams for language skills in THai to check :whistling:

A day or few before visa expires make another visa run , should give you another extra 89 days:jap:

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Do you know why some people have to pay 1900 thb every 3 months when having an ED visa and some don't ?

Thanks for reply.

Every extensions costs 1,900 baht. There are no freebies.

But some people are on an extension of stay because thy study at a university. They don't apply for an extension every 90 days but make a free 90 day report every 90 days and get an extension of stay once a year for 1,900 baht.

Hi, if you go with Walen you will not be disappointed. We will take good care of your ED visa paperwork as well.

Please come for a free demonstration and talk to our friendly staff. Also Walen offers the greatest choice of study locations, Bangkok (2 branches), Pattaya, Chiangmai, Phuket and online.

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

For priority service please register

http://dcs.walenschool.com/1mw290910.eng

Hi,

Do you know why some people have to pay 1900 thb every 3 months when having an ED visa and some don't ?

Thanks for reply.

Every extensions costs 1,900 baht. There are no freebies.

But some people are on an extension of stay because thy study at a university. They don't apply for an extension every 90 days but make a free 90 day report every 90 days and get an extension of stay once a year for 1,900 baht.

Thank you for clear explanation.

But it seems that some schools can offer the same privilege as university, and i know at least one in the south with which you don't have to pay 1900 thb every 3 months but just make a free 90 days report...

Now looking for the same kind of advantage around Bkk and Pattaya...

Thanks again.

ps: how much does it cost if you don't pay 1900 thb but prefer to go out out the country and pay a reentry permit after 3 months ?

Thank you for clear explanation.

But it seems that some schools can offer the same privilege as university, and i know at least one in the south with which you don't have to pay 1900 thb every 3 months but just make a free 90 days report...

Now looking for the same kind of advantage around Bkk and Pattaya...

Thanks again.

ps: how much does it cost if you don't pay 1900 thb but prefer to go out out the country and pay a reentry permit after 3 months ?

A re-entry permit would be of no use, a it doesn't give you extra time. Your permission to stay would still end on the same day.

Some people have a multipe Ed-visa and instead of an extension they leave the country after 90 day and re-enter again. The multiple ED-visa is more expensive and you will not get it in Asia. Also instead of paying 1,900 baht every 90 days for an extension, they have to leave and re-enter the country by entering another country first. So they have travel and in most cases visa costs for the other country. It is valid for 1 year and one can get 15 months of stay in Thailand out of it.

Afvantage for them is that they don't ahve to show paperwork from the school every 90 days.

It's a non-ED, not a non-O type ED. Apart from the semantics, you need a letter from a teaching institution registered with the Ministry of Education to get this visa. The embassis have the list of approved institutions. It will initially be issued for 90 days but is extendable.

Well, I once arrived on a non-ED and did not have to make any visa runs, but got extensions of stay for a total two years (at which time I changed my purpose of stay to be for business). Of course, I had to apply for re-entry permits to ensure that the visa / extensions of stay remained valid.