Local Knowledge Sought

eefoo

I have a portable DVD player that has developed a glitch. I took it to Amorn in the basement of Tuk Com, who charged me 650B for the privilege of not fixing it, with a one month guarantee. I took it back the next day, and they said it was the charger at fault and could I please bring that in. I did so, and went back to collect the player. It now had a nice sticker on it saying "OK". What a surprise to find it had exactly the same glitch as when I took it in. The "chang" in the workshop didn't even look at it the third time I took it back - just told the cashier to give me my money back. I'm now back to square one with a glitched DVD player, and only out of pocket a few baht of petrol for the trips to Tuk Com.

A question for all in the Pattaya area. Can anyone reccommend a decent place to get it looked at and possibly fixed? Anyone know a reliable electronic engineer that has done them a good service? There are loads of little back street workshops and I could spend a long time trying to find the right one.

You can buy a NEW one for around that price (650 baht). There is a TV and electronics repair shop on Theprassit road about 1 klick from Tapriah Road on the left hand side as you go towards Sukhimvit.

Not sure abaout buying a new one as cheap as that. This one cost 4000B. Thanks for the tip on a shop though - I'll go and give them a try.

Actually I haven't had much luck with good electronic repairs. Amorn has been one of the worst. But however, the best service to date has been with Num Chai Electronics. The repair shop is in the building behind the store on Sukhumvit near Pattaya Klang.

I've also notice a repair shop on Chaiyapuk. Close to the bus station. Can't vouch for it for sure.

How long ago did you buy it for 4000 baht? The prices on DVD's have dramatically fallen. As suggested before, it might be better to buy a new one.