Buying Or Renting A Car For Long Term Resident

folium

Need some helpful suggestions.

If you were in CM for just 22 months with an 8 week break half way through, and you needed transport for 3 adults & 3 kids would you buy, rent or discover some different option?

Having read many earlier posts it seems that new makes more sense than pre-owned, & it seems that the best options would be Toyota Innova or Fortuner, Isuzu MU-7, & Mitsubishi Pajero. In terms of decent resale value it seems to narrow down to Fortuner or Pajero. As a relative newbie to CM am I reading the market all wrong or am I missing a trick here?

If taking out two 10 month rentals, given the type of vehicle I need, makes better sense where would I be best off setting this up & approx what would this cost?

If I wanted a pickup life would be simple, but I don't so any help or ideas gratefully received.

I have a Corolla for long lease rent or buy- gold color, looks good. 1996.

Insurance- excess 2000bt if accident your fault.

24\7 on road support, etc.

12 months pay quarterly 40K bt

12 months upfront 120Kbt

Buy outright 180Kbt

Bond= 2 months

Compare with others and PM me if want more info.

3 Adults + 3 Kids in a 14 year old Toyota = Not Much Fun :ermm:

I don't really have an answer but if you were to buy the problem is always getting rid of the car when you leave without resorting to a dealer who will probably change your views on low depreciation. I think I'd look for one of those models in the 5 - 700k bracket (you might also add the Chevy Zaphira to the list) and figure on it costing you say 5-6000 a month including insurance over a 20 month period. Of course, if you don't want to front the cash your options are more limited.

Foilum (intentional) - after 2 days and just 3 replies I can't help but suggest that you add a subtitle to your topic. Whereas your question is well thought out and a valid one, your topic title posting is likely to turn off some readers as just a joke headline or so vague as to seem like you need more than just a clue. In fact, you have a great question and many here have probably had the same issue. The subtitle will add the likelihood that ppl will open your topic informed and wanting to help out someone with a problem that they have experience with. SOmething along the lines of 'Rent or Buy for Longstay Resident?' Something like that - get creative.

Foilum (intentional) - after 2 days and just 3 replies I can't help but suggest that you add a subtitle to your topic. Whereas your question is well thought out and a valid one, your topic title posting is likely to turn off some readers as just a joke headline or so vague as to seem like you need more than just a clue. In fact, you have a great question and many here have probably had the same issue. The subtitle will add the likelihood that ppl will open your topic informed and wanting to help out someone with a problem that they have experience with. SOmething along the lines of 'Rent or Buy for Longstay Resident?' Something like that - get creative.

Can you edit thread titles and subtitles? I've wanted to change one or the other in the past and couldn't see a way to do it.

Can you edit thread titles and subtitles? I've wanted to change one or the other in the past and couldn't see a way to do it.

Moderators can do it.

just pick one and send a pm :)