Marrying A Thai Woman

thaimate

Don't patronise me. I live in Nonthaburi, not exactly on the tourist trail ! I have lived in Thailand for twelve years. Four years in Surat Thani, two in Ranong, two in Isaan and four where I am now. I have two children here. I can speak Thai very well. I don't think I am particulary blinkered as to what goes on in this country.

So are you really saying that you think more than half of all Thai women have at some point or other in their life been a prostitute ?

I can only presume that to make these judgements you must spend your time in less salubrious surroundings than I am used to and surround yourself with some more than dubious company.

No, I'm saying you live a very sheltered life, as do many white men over here, house, air-con, wife takes care, no need to mix.

I live in a town with many universities and colleges packed with students, and I mingle.

When out of sight of their family, ladies get up to all sorts, if your family don't find out, it never happened.

Who said I was white ?

I was single for seven years in Thailand before I met my wife. I used to live a very illegal life here. Now I have a QUIET life.

Yes, I have a house, yes, I have air-con, it's not that abnormal.My wife does the shopping. If these are criteria for a sheltered life ..........

I do go out sometimes you know.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't patronise me. I live in Nonthaburi, not exactly on the tourist trail ! I have lived in Thailand for twelve years. Four years in Surat Thani, two in Ranong, two in Isaan and four where I am now. I have two children here. I can speak Thai very well. I don't think I am particulary blinkered as to what goes on in this country.

So are you really saying that you think more than half of all Thai women have at some point or other in their life been a prostitute ?

I can only presume that to make these judgements you must spend your time in less salubrious surroundings than I am used to and surround yourself with some more than dubious company.

No, I'm saying you live a very sheltered life, as do many white men over here, house, air-con, wife takes care, no need to mix.

I live in a town with many universities and colleges packed with students, and I mingle.

When out of sight of their family, ladies get up to all sorts, if your family don't find out, it never happened.

Who said I was white ?

I was single for seven years in Thailand before I met my wife. I used to live a very illegal life here. Now I have a QUIET life.

Yes, I have a house, yes, I have air-con, it's not that abnormal.My wife does the shopping. If these are criteria for a sheltered life ..........

I don’t think you are naive but perhaps an illustration will serve to make my point.

I was at a business meeting a few years ago with both Thai and Farang business partners. We had been to a meeting out of town and done well. We were flush with success and drinking single malt scotch in a hi so hotel bar.

As business men out of town occasionally do we were commenting on the women in the bar. No hookers, only business ladies having a drink after work like we were.

There was one stunner in the room and she was attracting the attention of the most handsome and youngest member of our group. I was a bit older with thinning hair and not movie star material.

The lady excused herself to go to the rest room and so did I. There was a phone outside the rest room and I pretended to be making a call until she came out of the ladies room.

I flashed my best smile and two gray sharks and she smiled back. We agreed in principle to the arrangement and both returned to the lounge area.

After about 15 minutes she wandered past our table and Mr. Handsome invited her to join us for a drink. During the conversation we were making eye contact and when the moment was fortuitous I motioned towards the door and she smiled and joined me and we walked out of the bar hand in hand to the amazement of my friends.

The men I was with were all seasoned international travelers and by no means naive. I saw a situation and tried a relatively traditional ploy and it happened to work. To this day none of the men if they were asked had any idea I paid for that lady.

We both live in the same world and see the same things. You said you lived in Rayong. Rayong is one of the hottest towns in Thailand for friendly women. Did you see the same things I saw? Probably not. The action in Rayong bars with uni chicks on chrome poles would make a hardened Pattaya punter blush. Lamtong is one of the most interesting shopping centers I have ever been to and with the right moves makes Soi Six look like a Sunday school.

I still take the GF to the movies at Lamtong and she watches a Thai movie while I tell her I am shopping for software. And I guess that is true in a manner of speaking.

What a load of nonsense. No need to mix - true because so many expats really dont want speak the language.

I'm shocked that so many ThaiVisa members know so much about Pattaya. rolleyes.gif

If you ask them they will deny ever being there and swear they met their wife 20 years younger than themselves in an overseas university, mind you, favorite now is " Online ".

Edited by sillyman99

Who said I was white ?

I don't think you are naive but perhaps an illustration will serve to make my point.

I was at a business meeting a few years ago with both Thai and Farang business partners. We had been to a meeting out of town and done well. We were flush with success and drinking single malt scotch in a hi so hotel bar.

As business men out of town occasionally do we were commenting on the women in the bar. No hookers, only business ladies having a drink after work like we were.

There was one stunner in the room and she was attracting the attention of the most handsome and youngest member of our group. I was a bit older with thinning hair and not movie star material.

The lady excused herself to go to the rest room and so did I. There was a phone outside the rest room and I pretended to be making a call until she came out of the ladies room.

I flashed my best smile and two gray sharks and she smiled back. We agreed in principle to the arrangement and both returned to the lounge area.

After about 15 minutes she wandered past our table and Mr. Handsome invited her to join us for a drink. During the conversation we were making eye contact and when the moment was fortuitous I motioned towards the door and she smiled and joined me and we walked out of the bar hand in hand to the amazement of my friends.

The men I was with were all seasoned international travelers and by no means naive. I saw a situation and tried a relatively traditional ploy and it happened to work. To this day none of the men if they were asked had any idea I paid for that lady.

We both live in the same world and see the same things. You said you lived in Rayong. Rayong is one of the hottest towns in Thailand for friendly women. Did you see the same things I saw? Probably not. The action in Rayong bars with uni chicks on chrome poles would make a hardened Pattaya punter blush. Lamtong is one of the most interesting shopping centers I have ever been to and with the right moves makes Soi Six look like a Sunday school.

I still take the GF to the movies at Lamtong and she watches a Thai movie while I tell her I am shopping for software. And I guess that is true in a manner of speaking.

Sounds like you've been reading to many Penthouse forum letters.

Can't believe you actually think that it possible that 50% or more of a Thailand's female population have at some stage worked as prostitutes

Everytime i read "People assume she is a bargirl because she's attractive and speaks good english"

But that's the complete wrong assumption.

People never assume that you have a bargirl if she speaks good english and is pretty.

Bar girls are for the most part, not pretty(except in your own eyes) and their english sounds like a drunken irish guy who has down syndrom , with about 80% less vocabulary.

When i see a guy with an attractive thai girl that speaks perfect english, i assume she studied outside of thailand or went to an expensive international school.

Yeah ! I suppose it comes with the territory western farang old fart and young looking Thai wife.

My wife bless her, rises above the assumptions of what I say are jealous Thai women and also Thai men don't forget.

We are happy and enjoying our life and we couldn't give a jok shit about what other people think. Full stop. :lock:

so you meet a girl in a bar......

probably because your in a bar looking for a lady and she is in a bar looking for a man...

get to know each other enjoy time together ask her to stay with you ...

THATS IT DONE DEAL

from that point on its your own personnel business and thats it.....

NOSEY PEOPLE PISS OFF MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS..

have a nice day :blink:

Who said I was white ?

I don't think you are naive but perhaps an illustration will serve to make my point.

I said Ranong, not Rayong. Ranong is down south on the burmese border. Interesting town, always a lot of action down by the port and it's the rainiest province in Thailand.

Best number I have found for pros in working daily is about 2.8 million.

A conservative estimate of turnover in the bar industry is 100% a year more likely 200%. But go with the lower number for sake of argument.

Tell me how many women are involved over a period of 20 years?

Mark45y: I've enjoyed some of your posts on other threads, but you are seriously mistaken in your quoted estimate of "pros" and the proportion of Thai women who P4P (which presumably refers to anonymous, short-term sex for a fee).

The most exhaustive survey of female sex workers in Thailand was done in the 1990's during the HIV epidemic. The researchers were from the Institute for Population and Social Research of Mahidol University. At that time, it was very important to know the extent and different formats of commercial sex (free-lance and full-time). So the results are probably the most accurate we've got. You can probably find a copy of the study on the Institute's website.

Their estimate came out to be about 250,000 women in the sex trade. Other scientific surveys have also concurred with the 200K-300K figure. The number has probably not changed that much since then since there is no evidence for a significant increase in commercial sex in Thailand between the 1980's and the present decade.

Also, the estimate of 250,000 represents a very, very small fraction of all Thai women age 15-49 (perhaps 1% or so).

But I take your point that, over a 20-year period, the number of Thai women who ever practiced prostitution will be a higher number than those currently practicing -- maybe double the above estimate. But nowhere near the number or percentages you cite.

As for your example of the lady in the hotel bar who agreed to go with the visting farang businessman, most Thai women do not go to bars; let alone to pick up strange men. So that doesn't help your case.

Finally, I am sure there are a number of technical/private college students who may engage in P4P. But again, there is no credible evidence that it is 50% of the students. In my experience with legitimate sex behavior research in this country, the percent of female vocational college students who are sexually active (let alone P4P) is the minority.

50 percent of marriageable ( whatever that means) women have been involved in the P4P business. Where do you get figures like this ? That is absolute rubbish. Maybe 5 percent or 10 at the most.

I'm with Marky on this, you need to get out of the tourist areas, learn Thai and see for yourself what is really happening.

I would say 50% was quite a conservative estimate.

Saying that 50% or more women in Thailand have been involved in the P4P business is assuming that 50% of the Thai women are actually attractive enough to do it.

If you live in Thailand, just go out in the street and check around you, how many women are looking attractive? Just a few.

However, because the buying power of some people in Thailand is so low, the money you can make doing P4P is more attractive than in Europe. If short time was paid 10k EUR there, you would find a lot more girls ready to jump into it. It is not a cultural thing, it is a human problem. If you pay enough, you can get almost anything from anybody, anywhere in the world, not only in Thailand.

Mark45y: I've enjoyed some of your posts on other threads, but you are seriously mistaken in your quoted estimate of "pros" and the proportion of Thai women who P4P (which presumably refers to anonymous, short-term sex for a fee).

The most exhaustive survey of female sex workers in Thailand was done in the 1990's during the HIV epidemic. The researchers were from the Institute for Population and Social Research of Mahidol University. At that time, it was very important to know the extent and different formats of commercial sex (free-lance and full-time). So the results are probably the most accurate we've got. You can probably find a copy of the study on the Institute's website.

Their estimate came out to be about 250,000 women in the sex trade. Other scientific surveys have also concurred with the 200K-300K figure. The number has probably not changed that much since then since there is no evidence for a significant increase in commercial sex in Thailand between the 1980's and the present decade.

Also, the estimate of 250,000 represents a very, very small fraction of all Thai women age 15-49 (perhaps 1% or so).

But I take your point that, over a 20-year period, the number of Thai women who ever practiced prostitution will be a higher number than those currently practicing -- maybe double the above estimate. But nowhere near the number or percentages you cite.

As for your example of the lady in the hotel bar who agreed to go with the visting farang businessman, most Thai women do not go to bars; let alone to pick up strange men. So that doesn't help your case.

Finally, I am sure there are a number of technical/private college students who may engage in P4P. But again, there is no credible evidence that it is 50% of the students. In my experience with legitimate sex behavior research in this country, the percent of female vocational college students who are sexually active (let alone P4P) is the minority.

1990 was twenty years ago.

Today.

Start figuring the number of beer bars in Pattaya. Multiply times 10 employees per bar. Then add the small massage places. Then the big massage places and go go’s. Then add the freelancers and the freelancers on weekends (two different numbers).

Then do the same for Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Add to those the amount of Thai women working in Singapore and the Middle east. Add to that the number working in western countries (in the trade).

Then figure an average town of 50,000 people and the number of Karaoke bars and multiply times 10 employees. Then add the massage places in each small town and estimate the number of freelancers.

Then take the female college population and multiply by whatever number makes you comfortable.

I think after doing this you will find the 2.8 million number is much closer to reality today.

Then figure the 100% turnover.

I've done the math but think it would be better if you did it to convince yourself.

Saying that 50% or more women in Thailand have been involved in the P4P business is assuming that 50% of the Thai women are actually attractive enough to do it.

If you live in Thailand, just go out in the street and check around you, how many women are looking attractive? Just a few.

Are you serious? How long have you been in Thailand? Do you still not have any idea of what these girls can do with makeup? Just about every sex worker in Pattaya wears a full mask including eyelashes...the whole production. Couple that with well chosen attire and far more than 50% are attractive enough to "do it".

I think after doing this you will find the 2.8 million number is much closer to reality today.

I've done the math but think it would be better if you did it to convince yourself.

I also reckon your firure is way high. What do you mean by 100% turnover? 100% turnover per what? week, year, decade. A large percentage of girls keep at it for years.

so you meet a girl in a bar......

probably because your in a bar looking for a lady and she is in a bar looking for a man...

get to know each other enjoy time together ask her to stay with you ...

THATS IT DONE DEAL

from that point on its your own personnel business and thats it.....

NOSEY PEOPLE PISS OFF MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS..

have a nice day :blink:

Well said sir. It just seems to be the normal condition of most people to look for the worst in others. Do this often enough and that becomes your normal M.O. What business is it of anyones that a guy goes to a bar and picks up lady? If you've got nothing good to say about people then say nothing at all.

I also reckon your firure is way high. What do you mean by 100% turnover? 100% turnover per what? week, year, decade. A large percentage of girls keep at it for years.

100% turnover per year. I’ve been in the restaurant and hotel business all my life all over the world. I am used to turnover in employees. Sometimes they go to other establishments sometimes they go back home. Rarely they get lucky and find a husband.

Sure some girls stay in the industry for a long time and some stay only a couple of weeks. Some places are notorious for turnover some keep their help.

I would think the average is close to 200% per year but for the skeptics and ease of calculation use 100%.

It is similar to how many people have worked at MacDonald’s and how many of those people are still in the food business. MacDonald’s has 31,000 restaurants and employs 1.5 million people. How many bars are in Pattaya? Average number of employees? Or figure it for one little Soi. Soi LK Metro. 2 blocks long. 400 female employees. In one year at least 800 different employees. In ten years 8,000. Now add the bars in Soi Diana. I think you get the idea.

You should take a look at some white guys women, some times I'm ashamed for my race!

As the Thai guys like to say "where do white men find such ugly women"

Why would you assume that, I once employed a girl to be my 'pretend wife' (mia chow) and live with me for 9 months (while I was looking for a proper wife), she was still a ho! Why just include 'anonymous, short-time' transactions in the definition.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Wow a thread full of generalisations, questionable opinions poised as stats and a lot of mud slinging.

Why do people have to get on their high horse and critisise other peoples relationships or happiness.

I used to be like that but I'm not that bitter person anymore.

• Like 1

Wow a thread full of generalisations, questionable opinions poised as stats and a lot of mud slinging.

Why do people have to get on their high horse and critisise other peoples relationships or happiness.

I used to be like that but I'm not that bitter person anymore.

They're called Trolls.

100% turnover per year. I've been in the restaurant and hotel business all my life all over the world. I am used to turnover in employees. Sometimes they go to other establishments sometimes they go back home. Rarely they get lucky and find a husband.

Sure some girls stay in the industry for a long time and some stay only a couple of weeks. Some places are notorious for turnover some keep their help.

I would think the average is close to 200% per year but for the skeptics and ease of calculation use 100%.

It is similar to how many people have worked at MacDonald's and how many of those people are still in the food business. MacDonald's has 31,000 restaurants and employs 1.5 million people. How many bars are in Pattaya? Average number of employees? Or figure it for one little Soi. Soi LK Metro. 2 blocks long. 400 female employees. In one year at least 800 different employees. In ten years 8,000. Now add the bars in Soi Diana. I think you get the idea.

I think you're out of touch with the sex trade in Pattaya. The turnover is nothing near 100% despite your expertise in the restaurant and hotel business for all your life all over the world. I'd put the number at 20% per year max. The number of sex workers in Pattaya are a very small fraction of females in Thailand.

Let's use some ridiculously inflated figures to illustrate my point. Let's say there were 1000 bars in Pattaya all employing 20 girls each on average. That's 20,000 bargirls. Let's say 3000 girls are walking the streets and/or working the discos and freelance bars. Let's say another 3,000 work in massage parlours. That's 26,000 girls even at my ridiculously inflated numbers. I'm sure you're agree there aren't even close to 1000 bars in Pattaya. Now lets take your very high assumption of 100% turnover per year and that's only 260,000 girls over 10 years.

Now you're trying to tell us that the number of sex workers in the whole of Thailand is 2.8 million at any given time?...when you'd be lucky to come up with 1/4 million in Pattaya in 10 years.

Let's use some ridiculously inflated figures to illustrate my point. Let's say there were 1000 bars in Pattaya all employing 20 girls each on average. That's 20,000 bargirls. Let's say 3000 girls are walking the streets and/or working the discos and freelance bars. Let's say another 3,000 work in massage parlours. That's 26,000 girls even at my ridiculously inflated numbers. I'm sure you're agree there aren't even close to 1000 bars in Pattaya. Now lets take your very high assumption of 100% turnover per year and that's only 260,000 girls over 10 years.

Now you're trying to tell us that the number of sex workers in the whole of Thailand is 2.8 million at any given time?...when you'd be lucky to come up with 1/4 million in Pattaya in 10 years.

Pattaya is only a very small part of the Thai sex industry, for every pro that does white men in Pattaya there are probably a 100 pros that only do Asian men elsewhere (so using your figures x100 = 26 million which seems a little high to me). Or do you think the sex industry is only for foreigners and only in Pattaya?

I can walk into any bar in Thailand ... including small Issan village bars .... and spot working girls. Then there are cigarette shops, coffee shops, soapys, karaoke, yadda yadda

Edited by sarahsbloke

Pattaya is only a very small part of the Thai sex industry, for every pro that does white men there are probably 100 pros that only do Asian men.

Or do you think the sex industry is only for foreigners and only in Pattaya?

Pattaya is not a "very small part of the Thai sex industry". The pros that do "white men" also do Asians. Have you never seen Asian customers in Pattaya bars?

Pattaya is not a "very small part of the Thai sex industry". The pros that do "white men" also do Asians. Have you never seen Asian customers in Pattaya bars?

Most working girls don't do 'white men' but you are correct, pros that do white men will do anyone, as they are at the bottom of the barrel.

I don't go to bars in Pattaya, they sell nothing I want to buy (I don't do girls who do white guys either, nasty, yuck)

I don't go to Pattaya either, been once, again it had nothing I want.

Most working girls don't do 'white men' but you are correct, pros that do white men will do anyone, as they are at the bottom of the barrel.

I don't go to bars in Pattaya, they sell nothing I want to buy (I don't do girls who do white guys either, nasty, yuck)

I don't go to Pattaya either, been once, again it had nothing I want.

There's no need for racism here ok Sarah.

Stick to subjects you know something about.

SB,

I agree, some people think that the sex trade is mainly for farang. They miss the point that the reason its "accessable" to farang is because its been a part of the fabric of thai society for eons. I also tend to agree that most thais will look down on a girl who "works under" farang. But this is in no small part because farang don't understand the thai way which is to keep it fairly private. Farang walking hand in hand with their rentals in broad daylight are amusing to many thais because they simply don't seem to understand the rules. And the girl's become frowned upon because they are showing their dirty linen in public.

I think you exagerate the frequency with which you'll find pros in and around thailand, but I agree that they are plentyfull and for everyone we know about I bet there are plenty we don't. The fact that you can drive down a high street, pull over to ask for directions and a girl will jump in the car* and say "pai mai?" tells you that it's not hard to find action even in rural thailand.

* True story. I saw a girl in a uniform like those at the beauty counter in the mall. Thought she must be on her way home from her respectable job so stopped to ask the way, turns out I read it wrong. She was on her way to her her higher paying job, and thought I was it! :huh:

• Like 1

There's no need for racism here ok Sarah.

Stick to subjects you know something about.

No racism here, the fact is that western men generally treat Thai ladies is such an inappropiate way, that the Thai lady becomes a western shrew in no time at all.

The fact you know more about Pattaya, says more about you than anything else, and any Thai person reading your post will also make assumptions about you. I am proud not to know much about Pattaya, or the Bangkok Nana Plaze, Soi Cowboy scene, foreigners who go there are ....... you know. Read Loz previous post!

Small example

The white man living next to me are both married to ladies from Pattaya, the ladies bad-mouth the men in front of their friends, complain about their meanness, shout at the men in public. Generally behave like a western women. A Thai man would beat the living daylights out of a woman who talked to him like that (or leave her). They are, in fact, now only good for daft expats or short-time (if that).

Edited by sarahsbloke

the ladies bad-mouth the men in front of their friends, complain about their meanness, shout at the men in public. Generally behave like a western women.

Plenty of that going on in Thai villages too. And these women could outshout a western one any day of the week.