Passage Samui Hotel

Below is a response from the Passage Samui Hotel relating to the killing of dogs by one of their 'rogue employees'. Many people on Samui have already voiced their disgust by emailing the Passage Samui, and for what it worth I would say the employee has been made a scapegoat.

The Passage Samui management and board are deeply shocked by the events of the last few days. The owner and most staff of the resort are devout Buddhists who would never seek to hurt another living creature. Unfortunately a rogue employee of the hotel made some very poor decisions that resulted in the death of two dogs that roam the locality.

The Passage Samui do not condone his actions and after investigating the matter have decided that our only option is to dismiss him forthwith. We have explained to him that his actions were ill conceived, thoughtless and cruel and he should never contemplate such an act of evil in his life again. We will also take action with the relevant authorities on the island to ensure he do a lengthy time of community service so he can repair some of the damage he has done.

Background

The Passage Samui has recently had problems with a large group of stray dogs harassing our guests. There was a large pack of around ten animals who cause a great deal of disruption and harassment to guests around the locality. This was further complicated by our neighbour Mr. Dam who also owns three dogs who roam around the locality and sometimes fight aggressively with the strays causing a lot of concern to our resort staff and guests.

We have contacted the local municipality as well as the local Dog/Cat Rescue Charity on the island to ask for their assistance in removing these dogs from our property. Unfortunately the local municipality told us that the problem was our own to solve and due to lack of local resources the dog rescue charity advised us that they did not have the manpower to help us, but would welcome the dogs should we be able to capture them and send them to their facility.

Extracts from our resort accident log confirm the problem reached a peak last Thursday when the following incidents occurred.

The resort management also experienced the dogs first hand during a group meditation exercise for staff and guest's when a large pack of around 10 animals invaded our resort and started barking and scaring guests. Obviously with the current school holidays and the large numbers of children in our resort we had to take swift action.

Order of Events

Aug 19, Thursday

After the spate of recent dog attacks we called an emergency meeting to form an action plan. The result of the meeting was a plan to put the dogs to sleep with some pills and then transport them to the local dog/cat rescue center.. We contacted our neighbour Mr. Dam to ask for permission for giving sleeping pill and he consented that it was a reasonable course of action given recent events.

Aug 20, Friday

6.00am Our staff member assigned to give sleeping pills headed to the beach and mixed food with pills to give to the strays.

For a couple of hours, our staff members attempted to move the dogs. Unfortunately the sleep pills did not have any effect and the dogs tried to bite our staff when they attempted to remove them from our property.

It is hard to understand for a Westerner but loss of face in Asian people can often provoke strange reactions. In this case, later that day, embarrassed at the loss of face caused by the unsuccessful eviction of the dogs. One of the staff members responsible later confessed that he went out to buy poison and put it in the food which the poor dogs then ate.

Three dogs were poisoned in total all of whom belonged to Mr. Dam our neighbour. As soon as this matter was brought to the attention of our management. The sick dogs were all taken to the local dog hospital to be cared for and The Passage launched an internal investigation. The employee was soon identified, admitted his guilt and stated he was very sorry about what he'd done.

Aug 21, Saturday

The owner of The Passage Samui personally invited Mr. Dam to our resort. They met and discussed this issue and he delivered his deepest regret and sympathy for the actions of the rogue employee. At the end of the meeting Mr. Dam expressed his wish that the employee concerned should not be dismissed. Mr. Dam is our good neighbor and we always support each other and work together to find solutions. When guests stay in his villas, they often request use of our facilities such as swimming pool and we delight in accepting their request. We always maintain the Thai philosophy “Neighbors have to help one another when needed, that’s just the way it is”

Aug 22, Sunday

The owner of The Passage, Mr. Tossapol takes his family to the dog rescue hospital and donates 3,000 THB to this charity. He also promised to cover all expenses of the dogs made sick by the employee's disgusting actions. At this time unfortunately one of the dogs had passed away and another was sick. Unfortunately the second dog passed away on Monday. The third dog seems to be recovering well.

Conclusion

We are deeply sorry about the dogs but are confident that this will not happen again and the way forward is in providing better education and training, both to our employees and the population of Samui, something we have always facilitated on our little piece of paradise.

A vital direction in our corporate policy is to be involved in caring for, helping towards and building a better society through community and environmental concern. Our owner created the Tossawass charity fund because he takes his community responsibility very seriously indeed.

Some examples of the policies The Passage Samui have implemented are listed below:

1. The Green Heart Program. This program is targetted at educating both customers and staff at The Passage to ensure that everyone conserves energy and natural resources where appropriate.

2. Recycle, reuse and reduce the garbage in the resort.

3. Encourage staff to think of new ways to preserve our environment.

4. Ensure all environmental rules and regulations are strictly adhered to and try and exceed those requirements if possible to do so.

5. Maintain strict records of all environmental activities and use these as metrics to measure the program's success.

6. Build a strong community relationship by educating and financing projects where necessary to help the Nathorn Bay community understand more about environmental conservation.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed them too yesterday (see below)- got the same reply this morning from the Passage Samui. SICKENING INDEED.

Appalled, shocked, sickened and disgusted.

Bad news likes this travels very fast indeed. In an industry where reputation is paramount and tourism is on a mass decline the Passage Samui will no doubt reap what they have sown.

Be assured that news of this appalling conduct will spread like wild fire.

Agreed. In no way shape or form should poisoning dogs be acceptable. I cant imagine what kind of image this will leave in the minds of the tourists about Amazing Thailand as they stood there watching the dog writhe in pain as it died in front of the hotel. At least they were spared seeing the death of the second dog and the suffering of the as yet still surviving animal.

For a Buddhist country i am constantly amazed at what is acceptable conduct, whereas we heathens from the west get rightly furious at the poor treatment of a helpless animal - it may be acceptable among Thai people but these resorts do cater to the foreign travellers who would quickly cancel their booking were they to know about such allowed policies . The subsequent spread and shaming of the now infamous wheely bin cat lady in the last few days should serve as ample warning for hotels and resorts to control their staff lest they find themselves at a targeted name and shame campaign which will reflect bad on Samui. The power of the media is substantial now and it is no longer controlled by bbc etc...it is the little people with their facebook and twitter accounts that can really start a tide of emotion and backlash.

Its good to see the resort is at least making some means of restitution... i hope the gentleman who lay the poisoned meat comes back in the next life as a tick on the a** of a soi dog, perhaps karma and the three canine victims will then have the last laugh....

Well done on posting this Mick. I received the e-mail two days ago and promptly sent a response to the above hotel.

Poisoning dogs with rat poison is an evil deed, it's a horrible death.

In my opinion the person responsible should be fed rat poison to see how they like it. We could all gather in a crowd and watch them foam at the mouth whilst they bled to death internally.

Sickened and disgusted,

Matt.

I have never read so much BS in my life.

"It is hard to understand for a Westerner but loss of face in Asian people can often provoke strange reactions. In this case, later that day, embarrassed at the loss of face caused by the unsuccessful eviction of the dogs. One of the staff members responsible later confessed that he went out to buy poison and put it in the food which the poor dogs then ate."

The employee lost face because he was unable to sedate them so he fed them poisoned (killed) them instead. Poor hungry dogs - what a life huh, but thank god it wasn't a guest complaining that his food was too cold. The Passage Hotel should hang its head in shame for offering such an absurd response. I hope they suffer because of this.

Sounds like a bit of spin too. Bet Somchai was only following orders.

Can one of the "outraged and disgusted " people posting here tell me just how they would have acted ? A pack of dogs terrorising guests and staff. Ask them nicely to move on ? I do not agree with poisoning them but wild dogs need to be sorted some how. :o

Can one of the "outraged and disgusted " people posting here tell me just how they would have acted ? A pack of dogs terrorising guests and staff. Ask them nicely to move on ? I do not agree with poisoning them but wild dogs need to be sorted some how. :o

hu·man·ly/ˈ(h)yo͞omənlē/Adverb</I>1. From a human point of view; in a human manner.2. By human means; within human ability

The first plan of action they decided to take would probably have been the best one:

"Aug 19, Thursday

After the spate of recent dog attacks we called an emergency meeting to form an action plan. The result of the meeting was a plan to put the dogs to sleep with some pills and then transport them to the local dog/cat rescue center.. We contacted our neighbour Mr. Dam to ask for permission for giving sleeping pill and he consented that it was a reasonable course of action given recent events."

They should have gone to one of the local vets and got hold of some proper sedatives like Acepromazin, Atravet or even Ketamine to sedate the dogs. They probably gave the dogs diazepam, that wouldn't work on them.

Rat poison causes as agonising death. It stops the blood clotting so the animal bleeds to death internally.

Matt.

hu·man·ly/ˈ(h)yo͞omənlē/Adverb</I>1. From a human point of view; in a human manner.2. By human means; within human ability

And do just what Hu-man-ly ????? I understand the English language fine.

Bluechip and after the dogs are asleep then what ? If you had a similar pack of dogs stopping or attacking people wanting to come into your shop ?

I have had dogs all my life but sometimes the outpouring of pity for animals sometimes gets a bit much.

In the UK at the moment there was an old lady caught on CCTV picking up a cat and dropping it in a bin. She has had hundreds of death threats and now needs round the clock police protection. &lt;deleted&gt; Its a cat. :o It suffered no lasting harm and looks perfectly happy in the pictures yet this has caused so much outpouring of pity for the cat and outright hatred for the old lady. Now she may not be the nicest of people but to threaten to kill her over it is beyond belief.

Sometimes nature itself isn't very nice.

As said just what should they have done ?

So if this pack of street dogs was terrorising guests and passersby, and they had rabies, what would you do to get rid of them?

I would be more worried about what I might catch off one of the girls in your bar. Doesnt mean I would feed them rat poison

totally agree,if you are a guest staying at a hotel surrounded by a pack of dogs ready to bite i'd want something done too,for safety reasons,its not fun having to go and get rabie shots after the event.To all those who are disgusted why not go down to the resort yourselves and help out the staff.

It's easy and humane. One by one put them in your truck and then drive over and release them on the other side of the island.

Bluechip and after the dogs are asleep then what ? If you had a similar pack of dogs stopping or attacking people wanting to come into your shop ?

I have had dogs all my life but sometimes the outpouring of pity for animals sometimes gets a bit much.

In the UK at the moment there was an old lady caught on CCTV picking up a cat and dropping it in a bin. She has had hundreds of death threats and now needs round the clock police protection. &lt;deleted&gt; Its a cat. :o It suffered no lasting harm and looks perfectly happy in the pictures yet this has caused so much outpouring of pity for the cat and outright hatred for the old lady. Now she may not be the nicest of people but to threaten to kill her over it is beyond belief.

:annoyed: Most of the time it's the guests themselves to blame, especially those from that country that lost the war. They regularly befriend dogs on the beach and then bring them back to their resort, even allow them to sleep in their room. After they leave, the dog thinking this is home, hangs around the resort. The authorities won't help having been beaten up once, by these same people, who objected to them using tranquiliser darts.

So if this pack of street dogs was terrorising guests and passersby, and they had rabies, what would you do to get rid of them?

I would be more worried about what I might catch off one of the girls in your bar. Doesnt mean I would feed them rat poison

What are you implying? The only thing you'll catch in my bar is a sense of humilty, respect and, probably, a clip round the ear from me.

:annoyed: Most of the time it's the guests themselves to blame, especially those from that country that lost the war. They regularly befriend dogs on the beach and then bring them back to their resort, even allow them to sleep in their room. After they leave, the dog thinking this is home, hangs around the resort. The authorities won't help having been beaten up once, by these same people, who objected to them using tranquiliser darts.

couldnt agree with you more Governer Crusty, it only takes a few days for the dogs/cats to think its there home ! ,

especially those from that country that lost the war

Crusty, what is the meaning? Germans, Italians, Japanese

Which war? Vietnam. In that case USA.

Still generalizing one country do something other countries don't do?

Childish

Childish

i thought he was referring to the french

couldnt agree with you more Governer Crusty, it only takes a few days for the dogs/cats to think its there home ! ,

Yet again the problems stem from humans, they betray the trust which these unfortunate creatures give them.

Soi/Beach dogs didn't just start out that way. They were introduced by people who abandoned them.

Killing them is not the answer and merely reflects a degree of ignorance and callousness, although to some people it

seems to be OK and a bit Macho.

Just to illustrate the point there is a justified outcry about a cat thrown into a waste bin in UK. Fortunately captured on video.

The lady who did it firstly made it into a friend by petting it, then dropped it into a bin having first obtained it's trust. It was trapped there for over 9 hours and could easily have died. It did look happy after being rescued. Who wouldn't!

The lady who did it probably needs to be sectioned under the mental health act.

As posted previously; quote "sometimes Nature is not very nice" In my opinion and having seen the results of poisoning I am firmly

convinced that it is many humans who are really not very nice and the world would be far better off without them.

• Like 1

Governor Crusty is totally correct here. Exactly the same thing happens at the resort next to where i work. I might add that there are signs up asking tourists not to feed the dogs, they ignore the signs, the dogs stay thinking its home and a few days later the tourists depart.

Childish

i thought he was referring to the french

I've never seen a dog being fed a bagette. :o

Joking apart, you can't generalise about this being the actions of a particular nation. For example i read now reference to the Brits who must arguably be the biggest nation of dog lovers. ;)

Bluechip. If you think nipping down the chemist and getting some nightol sleeping tablets to make them sleep then transporting them to the cage at the rescue centre to live out their days with mange infested other dogs is a plan then you need some help. I don't want to come across as anti dog, I'm not. When I moved in to this place there were 7 mangy, flea bitten dogs living here as well. I asked for help from the rescue centre. I'm still waiting nearly a year later. I fed them till the local Thai's dealt with the roaming dogs and now am down to 2 fit and healthy dogs who get well looked after. I also took a kitten in which has had kittens herself and now have 3.

Unlike back home though here they do not put the dogs to sleep. Sometimes it is kinder to do this than keep them alive. I can though sympathise with the resort and reckon that the Thai staff is taking the blame for one of the management telling him what to do. This " loss of face " is a crock of S#!t. I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me just what the resort should have done ?

ANYBODY ????????????? :o

Yet again the problems stem from humans, they betray the trust which these unfortunate creatures give them.

Soi/Beach dogs didn't just start out that way. They were introduced by people who abandoned them.

Killing them is not the answer and merely reflects a degree of ignorance and callousness, although to some people it

seems to be OK and a bit Macho.

Just to illustrate the point there is a justified outcry about a cat thrown into a waste bin in UK. Fortunately captured on video.

The lady who did it firstly made it into a friend by petting it, then dropped it into a bin having first obtained it's trust. It was trapped there for over 9 hours and could easily have died. It did look happy after being rescued. Who wouldn't!

The lady who did it probably needs to be sectioned under the mental health act.

As posted previously; quote "sometimes Nature is not very nice" In my opinion and having seen the results of poisoning I am firmly

convinced that it is many humans who are really not very nice and the world would be far better off without them.

Excellent post Gator.

Bluechip. If you think nipping down the chemist and getting some nightol sleeping tablets to make them sleep then transporting them to the cage at the rescue centre to live out their days with mange infested other dogs is a plan then you need some help. I don't want to come across as anti dog, I'm not. When I moved in to this place there were 7 mangy, flea bitten dogs living here as well. I asked for help from the rescue centre. I'm still waiting nearly a year later. I fed them till the local Thai's dealt with the roaming dogs and now am down to 2 fit and healthy dogs who get well looked after. I also took a kitten in which has had kittens herself and now have 3.

Unlike back home though here they do not put the dogs to sleep. Sometimes it is kinder to do this than keep them alive. I can though sympathise with the resort and reckon that the Thai staff is taking the blame for one of the management telling him what to do. This " loss of face " is a crock of S#!t. I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me just what the resort should have done ?

ANYBODY ????????????? :o

ok, how about this for a plan that would require minimum effort and zero cost. they set up an area to feed dogs regularly for a few days, dogs become used to one staff member....that staff member then slips collars and leads onto dogs, cages them and takes them to dog shelter for neutering. they are then released disease free and less aggressive, or kept at the rescue center to live out their days.... simple low cost and humane solution.

I know it doesnt solve the problem completely but at least neutering all stray dogs would slowly reduce the population and is a long term plan, just needs some cooperation between locals and the DRC. Incidentally as one posted was afraid of rabies- rabies has not been found on the island for many years.

Edited by imjustagirl

Gatorade, sorry but if you think death threats and the poor old bat having to have round the clock police protection " Justifiable outcry " &lt;deleted&gt; !!! :huh: You need help mate!

ITS A CAT AND IT IS FINE NOW !!!!!!!!

Yes she may not be a nice woman and cats have survied for weeks in far worse places than a wheely bin which is probably going to be opened in the very near future so lets drop the " cat was very lucky " crap please :sorry: I;m still waiting for one of the outraged to tell me what should have been done ?

Plus I love the " rogue employees " crap from the resort :cheesy:

Gatorade, sorry but if you think death threats and the poor old bat having to have round the clock police protection " Justifiable outcry " &lt;deleted&gt; !!! :huh: You need help mate!

Yes she may not be a nice woman and cats have survied for weeks in far worse places than a wheely bin which is probably going to be opened in the very near future so lets drop the " cat was very lucky " crap please :sorry: I;m still waiting for one of the outraged to tell me what should have been done ?

Go H20, totally agree, I am also awaiting a reply from these "outraged" people? A lot of simplistic replies with no solid solutions. :rolleyes:

I have the same problem around my shop.....but the number of soi dogs has dropped due to some callous ba*tard poisoning 2 of them and 1 was strangled to death.

And as you said, there is no rabies on the Island, and I would assume that also applies to the bar girls?. :cheesy:

Go H20, totally agree, I am also awaiting a reply from these "outraged" people? A lot of simplistic replies with no solid solutions. :rolleyes:

I have the same problem around my shop.....but the number of soi dogs has dropped due to some callous ba*tard poisoning 2 of them and 1 was strangled to death.

And as you said, there is no rabies on the Island, and I would assume that also applies to the bar girls?. :cheesy:

erm....why is neutering all stray dogs and treating any disease not a solid solution :ermm:

Imjustagirl have you actually been to the rescue centre to see the conditions the dogs there live in ? As I said I tried to enlist their help to sort out my problem. After nearly a year I am still waiting. Yes in an ideal world of cotton candy and all things nice it would be great. Sadly the world we live in isn't anything like the utopia you imagine.

How many of those " outraged " posters will now offer a home to one of these dogs ? That would solve the problem ? WELL

I fed 7 dogs for 4 months and now feed 2 dogs and 3 cats. Can I put all those posting of their outrage down for one dog each ?

There are enough people on here who have emailed the resort to tell them how "outraged " they were yet I bet none have emailed the resort to say they will come and take a dog. NO ? I thought not!

I REST MY CASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Armchair outrage at its finest. :angry: