Travel With No Plan

keitha

Hello all;

Before I travelled Perth to Bangkok, on a one way ticket. I stopped in KL for a couple of days. When checking in for the flight to Bangkok at KL, I was told by the girl at the check-in counter that I cannot board the flight, because I do not have a return ticket to Australia from Thailand.

She made a phone call, and soon there were 5 or 6 other airport staff, at the counter, discussing the situation, making phone calls ect. After about 45 minutes I was given a print-out of my flight and personal details, and told to give it to Immigration at Bangkok. Also advised not to travel again on a one way ticket. What is going on there???

I get 4 or 5 weeks off work in Australia, and I like to travel around SEA, not sure where I like to stop, not sure when I want to leave. Why can't I travel around with that flexibility. I travelled many many times, in 30 years, and never breached a visa at any time, in any country.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks Keith:realangry:

This has been the status quo for years. If you don't have a return ticket & visa and are refused entry, the airline is stuck with your repatriation. Think yourself lucky as they could have refused boarding in Perth. Although Malaysia and Thailand have the visa on arrival exemption, this is primarily aimed at tourists who would typically have return tickets. The reason why you can't travel around without the flexibility of no visa and return tickets is these countries don't want to end up with potential dead-beats milling around with no money bouncing borders.

Suggest at least getting a visa for the first place you intend travelling to and always have an open-ended return ticket.

I am a UK citizen with a retirement visa and several years of extension already spent in Thailand. When I go to an airport in the UK to return to Thailand I am often questioned why I haven't got a return ticket back to the UK. Usually by inexperienced staff at the check in desk.

As has been pointed out, the airline is responsible for you if they take you to a country and you are refused entry because you do not have a return/onging ticket.

This has been the status quo for years. If you don't have a return ticket & visa and are refused entry, the airline is stuck with your repatriation. Think yourself lucky as they could have refused boarding in Perth. Although Malaysia and Thailand have the visa on arrival exemption, this is primarily aimed at tourists who would typically have return tickets. The reason why you can't travel around without the flexibility of no visa and return tickets is these countries don't want to end up with potential dead-beats milling around with no money bouncing borders.

Suggest at least getting a visa for the first place you intend travelling to and always have an open-ended return ticket.

I believe Australian and UK Passports do not need a visa for stays of up to 30 days. When asked at airline check in counter, I usually explain I am uncertain how long I am staying or which destination I am headed for afterwards, and therefore have not bought a return ticket, show them my credit cards and enough funds, and they are normally understanding. Same thing at port of arrival if immigration officer asked. Personally, never had a problem whatsoever.

I guess you have been lucky so far. As stated above if entering Thailand on a 30 day permission to stay you need a departure during that 30 days or the airline can refuse to let you board. I have never been asked by immigration in Bangkok to show them my departure ticket I guess they assume the airline would not have let me board without ticket.

Hope your luck continues to hold.

I believe Australian and UK Passports do not need a visa for stays of up to 30 days. When asked at airline check in counter, I usually explain I am uncertain how long I am staying or which destination I am headed for afterwards, and therefore have not bought a return ticket, show them my credit cards and enough funds, and they are normally understanding. Same thing at port of arrival if immigration officer asked. Personally, never had a problem whatsoever.

I endorse that. Its often been the way I travel. However be aware that airlines also overbook based on a computer prediction of how many passengers traveling on fully flexible (expensive) tickets will turn up for the flight. This prediction can often be thrown out by unforeseen circumstances, a conference ending early, strike on another airline etc. In those circumstances they look to bump those passengers that they won't have to compensate. That is when they interpret the regulations strictly by the book.

Any passenger flying into Thailand must hold : either (i) a valid visa or (ii) a ticket for a flight out of Thailand.(Not necessarily a return ticket)

The 30 day "permit on entry" is not a visa.

You were very lucky indeed.

My experience is that the Airline shall deny boarding -- and will not relent.

Edited by tig28

You have a computer?? You print out your 'ticket' and itinerary for the leg into Thailand?? There's your answer, desktop publishing! Cut and paste, and just show them your handiwork if they ask. I've done it many times since self printing of tickets and boarding passes was introduced.

I always print my outbound and inbound details on separate sheets, and I've often not been asked for my return 'ticket' on check in here in Australia, but if you proceed as above, there won't be a problem.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Any passenger flying into Thailand must hold : either (i) a valid visa or (ii) a ticket for a flight out of Thailand.(Not necessarily a return ticket)

Problem is that sometimes check-in staff don't really know these rules.

I was once nearly denied boarding in Frankfurt by a very surly german lady at the check-in because I did not have a return ticket.

When I pointed out that the flight I was checking-in for was my return flight to Thailand on a ticket bought in Thailand and me living in Thailand on a year visa, she was obviously baffled and after a longish argument finally agreed to ask her superior who didn't know either and it took a phone call to an airline representative to sort it out.

Same in Bangkok with Shengen visa's for my spouse. If you're first point of call is not in the country from which you have the visa be prepared for a lengthy discussion.

yermanee

I always consider visa issues very important. Always stick with the requirements. I'm not happy with the lack of flexibility of flights or destination plan.

eg. I know if I arrive Bangkok, or Manila, or even Calcutta. I have 30 days. Who cares where I go after that. As long as I adhere to the requirements of the visa, of the particular country, then no problem.

If, when 30 days is up, I know I have to do something. #1 Apply for length of stay, or #2 leave.

It shouldn't matter if I stay a full 30 days, or if suddenly I feel like cutting short, and going somewhere else for a while. (freelance travel) No set plan, No set return ticket

Having to have a set return flight/plan, is a big hassle. Times really have changed.

I ask the question because I plan a year off work soon, and I want to travel all around (freelance) I'm not quite sure where I'll go, or when I'll come back for that matter.

I didn't know that the airline is responsible for repatriation if refused entry.

Thanks for all the replies.

:(

Problem is that sometimes check-in staff don't really know these rules.

I was once nearly denied boarding in Frankfurt by a very surly german lady at the check-in because I did not have a return ticket.

When I pointed out that the flight I was checking-in for was my return flight to Thailand on a ticket bought in Thailand and me living in Thailand on a year visa, she was obviously baffled and after a longish argument finally agreed to ask her superior who didn't know either and it took a phone call to an airline representative to sort it out.

Same in Bangkok with Shengen visa's for my spouse. If you're first point of call is not in the country from which you have the visa be prepared for a lengthy discussion.

yermanee

:thumbsup:yermanee is 100% right! ---

"Problem is that sometimes check-in staff don't really know these rules."

On two separate occasions I have been denied boarding when returning to Thailand (where I live) on the second leg of a return ticket out of Thailand! The airline staff were incorrectly informed of the rules --- but the check-in counter is no place to conduct a debate.

On the second occasion I was better prepared to "deal" with this .... but it made no difference .. the duty manager said " I understand what you are saying,sir -- but I also know what my superiors have told me. Without a ticket out of Thailand I cannot allow you to board."

Be warned.