Theft In Thailand

cartouche

Take along your passport and any old address and 15mins later you'll have a bank card.

When you said an old adress what you mean? its the same than the house registration? for a tourist, house registration is not possible, am i wrong?

I'm sorry but the OP's was:

There are a lot of thefts in Thai even from the reception safe. Is it possible to open current account in thai banks for non-residents?

and I just cannot figure out what "a lot of theft in Thai even from the reception safe" has to do with getting a bank account? I feel that Thailand is no different to having thefts anywjhere else in the world. Also do not catagorize "ALL" of Thailand for its theft standards. If you live in Pattaya then yes a lot of theft but if you live in a small village in the province its not the same.

Anywhere in the world is the same, If you invite theft, theft will come to you. You walk around cities looking like a narcasist with a Rolex, Gold neclaces etc what do you think will happen?

I feel safer walking down a street or soi in Bangkok at 3:30 am more then I would feel safe walking down a street in Toronto at 1:00 pm.

We had problems at one bank, then went to Bangkok Bank and got our account opened. We even had the residence form from immigration.

One issue with BB is their new ATM card has a chip on it. Not many ATMs will accept this card. So be careful!

Why don't you just use an ATM here and withdraw funds from your home country's bank? Take out 20,000B a pull and the costs are fairly low.

We had problems at one bank, then went to Bangkok Bank and got our account opened. We even had the residence form from immigration.

One issue with BB is their new ATM card has a chip on it. Not many ATMs will accept this card. So be careful!

Why don't you just use an ATM here and withdraw funds from your home country's bank? Take out 20,000B a pull and the costs are fairly low.

Not anymore, costs on £100 approx 6%, thats a lot

Take along your passport and any old address and 15mins later you'll have a bank card.

When you said an old adress what you mean? its the same than the house registration? for a tourist, house registration is not possible, am i wrong?

As my post states and gotlost confirmed any address in Thailand....they won't be sending you any mail anyway! :)

I have a couple of BKK Bangkok ATM cards, with the chips, and have never had a problem in any ATM machine from any bank in any province. Perhaps you have a problem with your card. Have it replaced. BTW, I also use this chipped ATM card as my BTS card and it works flawlessly every time.

There are a lot of thefts in Thai even from the reception safe. Is it possible to open current account in thai banks for non-residents?

and I just cannot figure out what "a lot of theft in Thai even from the reception safe" has to do with getting a bank account? I feel that Thailand is no different to having thefts anywjhere else in the world. Also do not catagorize "ALL" of Thailand for its theft standards. If you live in Pattaya then yes a lot of theft but if you live in a small village in the province its not the same.

Anywhere in the world is the same, If you invite theft, theft will come to you. You walk around cities looking like a narcasist with a Rolex, Gold neclaces etc what do you think will happen?

I feel safer walking down a street or soi in Bangkok at 3:30 am more then I would feel safe walking down a street in Toronto at 1:00 pm.

Yeah, what does that mean, "There are alot of thefts in Thai"? Have you been personally robbed many times in Thailand, or is this another instance of someone reading a few stories on online forums and concluding that first, all stories on the internet are true, and second, all stories are told on the internet? Don't you think for every 1 person complaining of theft, there are thousands that never have an issue? I have never been robbed here, nor had anything stolen. I have (accidentally) left laptops, cameras, and other electronics laying around my hotel rooms in Thailand, including Pattaya, and have never had them taken.

Don't generalize. Say "I have been robbed many times in Thai hotels" then maybe we would sympathize with you more.

And I agree with Thailandbluegrass, I certainly feel safer here than in my previous homes in Michigan and Florida. I have never been held at gunpoint and robbed or carjacked or had my ass kicked here, like I have there.

I have a couple of BKK Bangkok ATM cards, with the chips, and have never had a problem in any ATM machine from any bank in any province. Perhaps you have a problem with your card. Have it replaced. BTW, I also use this chipped ATM card as my BTS card and it works flawlessly every time.

Sorry to say this, but you obviously have not tried using the BB Be1st ATM card at their Non-Be1st ATMs. They won't work. I was at the branch last week and the Be1st ATMs were not working. Tried the other ones, and as usual, my card did not work. The staff told me the cards with the chips can only be used at Be1st ATMs. Won't work at their others. I have used it at other bank's ATMs, but BB's non-Be1st won't accept them. I have been told that some other banks ATMs won't accept them either. You have obviously been very lucky!

I have probably spent around 500 nights in hotels in Thailand. Traveled all around the Kingdom and have never had a problem...with that being said, I know many people who have...and not just in Pattaya. It can happen anywhere, but Thailand, IMHO, is much safer than most places around the world.

Most of the people I know who were robbed were walking around Bangkok, Samui, Khorat, Chiang Mai, etc., late at night. But I also know others who were robbed in broad daylight. Do a search here on TV and you will find a guy who was attacked with a machette walking in Bangkok in the afternoon....it does happen...

OP have you been to Thailand yet. Been coming to Thailand since 1971, a lot since 1998 and never had anything taken from me at my hotel, in the room or at reception. This includes Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand.

Maybe you are the type who attracts the lawless type good luck on your trip.

This has nothing to do with the OP. But this happened to me last month. My truck was very dirty and I wanted to get the outside washed. I pulled in to a car wash. Told them to wash only the outside not the inside. I locked the doors. And went to get a cup of coffee. When i came back the guy asked me for the keys, saying he needed to move it for another car. I gave him the keys and watched carefully all ok. I went inside to get some water. In 5 minutes there were 5 thais on my truck. Two inside and three with the back doors opened. I rushed out and said get out. They did of course. But they stold a pair of 1000 dollar binoculars and had my back pack open. Luckly i came out in time to run them off. Called the police. Guy showed up and didn't bother talking to anyone but the owner. Then left telling me they did not have the binocualrs.

So theft does go on here daily.

This has nothing to do with the OP. But this happened to me last month. My truck was very dirty and I wanted to get the outside washed. I pulled in to a car wash. Told them to wash only the outside not the inside. I locked the doors. And went to get a cup of coffee. When i came back the guy asked me for the keys, saying he needed to move it for another car. I gave him the keys and watched carefully all ok. I went inside to get some water. In 5 minutes there were 5 thais on my truck. Two inside and three with the back doors opened. I rushed out and said get out. They did of course. But they stold a pair of 1000 dollar binoculars and had my back pack open. Luckly i came out in time to run them off. Called the police. Guy showed up and didn't bother talking to anyone but the owner. Then left telling me they did not have the binocualrs.

So theft does go on here daily.

Wow...that sucks. Sorry to hear about your theft. We have a car wash place near our house. Several neighbors use it and nobody has ever had a problem. I've always been nervous and take everything out before heading over there...thanks for the heads up on this.

Can you say what town this happened in?