O-A Visa Police Records Check

One of the supposed difficulties in obtaining the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa (Long Stay) usually referred to as a Retirement Visa in your own country is the requirement to submit a Police Check and a Medical Certificate with your application. Not a problem for most Europeans with centralized police and medical systems but more problematic for Americans

I have just discovered that my US State, Pennsylvania, will provide an official certificate via the Internet for $10 charged to my CC. It is a real certificate and will please the most demanding Thai Bureaucrat (see redacted Attached thumbnail)

So anyone thinking about getting this type of Visa in the US should check with their State Police to see if they offer this service

IMHO, this is the best Visa to get when first coming to Thailand since you don't have to show money in a bank in Thailand but the Baht equivalent in your own country (800,000THB) or proof of a pension (65,000THB) or combination of both

And it has been my experience that most US doctors don't require a full physical to sign a form that say's you don't have Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, or third phase of Syphilis.

post-10942-045844700 1282962767_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Just a related question. I will be applying for an O-A through the D.C. Embassy.

Thai law requires that the doctor's statement be notarized. When you applied, did you do that and, if so, how did you do it since the form does not have a place for a notary seal.

Thanks and thanks for the heads up on the police check. I'm checking to see if they do it here in Texas as well. I'll do a follow-up post to share what I find out.

David

While a non-immigrant "O-A" long-stay (retirement) visa may be the preferred choice for some people, a non-immigrant "O" visa along with a retirement extension of stay obtained in Thailand amounts to the same thing. It could be easier for some folk to arrive in Thailand, immediately arrange their financial affairs, and apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement before their 90 day entry stamp expires. No police check or medical required for an extension of stay obtained in Thailand.

All I had show for my OA retirement was a copy of my bank statment, downloaded copy of Thai medical form which was sign by a VA doctor for free and a local police report stating no wants or warrants a very simple procedure/ this was through the Houston thai office via FedEx never even had to go there. There are pros and cons to both ways of getting a long term visa but for the wife and I not knowing anyone here in Thailand or speaking the lanuage the OA in America was much easier than jumping hoops here for the first time. It was nice to arrive and know we had time too sort all procedures out.

this was through the Houston thai office

Unfortunately, Houston -- and the other honorary consulates -- can no longer issue O-A visas.

Thai law requires that the doctor's statement be notarized

What Thai law might that be? And I also see the Thai Embassy DC website no longer makes mention of notarization. They probably finally realized that notarization in the States requires a notary public to witness a signature. Doubtful you'd find a notary who would accompany you to the sheriff's and doctor's offices.... ;)

And, the downloaded medical certificate sure gives no indication (or space) for notarization. In fact, it is so simple, I'm sure you could mail it to your doctor for his signature (assuming you've seen him professionally in the last few years). Local sheriff, too, should be simple. Just use his letterhead stationery.

The LA Consulate used to state emphatically on their website that they would only issue singe entry Non Imm O-A visas (which are much less useful than the multi-entry type). But I no longer see this stated as such. They do say the visa will be valid for 3-months (which means single entry). But they go on to say "$65 for a single-entry, $175 for a multi-entry" Go figure.

Anyway, it looks like, even tho' the honoraries are out of the game, O-A visas from official consulates (to include the one in the Embassy) aren't overly burdensome to obtain these days.

There is no requirement for any papers to be notarized to obtain a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa (Long Stay), and the procedure is exactly as retiredusn stated

I am on my third Visa (I get the Multiple Entry, (2 from DC,1 from NYC ) which allows me two "winters" in Thailand with only having to do my 90 day report while there

The main advantage is that the Visa is good for a year (or two if you get the Multiple entry and just do a Visa run, land or air) and allows you the time to set yourself up in Thailand. There are a lot of people that don't like to tie up 800,000 THB in a Thai Bank account or obtain a income letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok or the Consulate in Chang Mai

And there is really no reason to use any of the Consulates since the Thai Embassy in Washington will accept applications from anywhere in the US. The Consulates must follow the rules as set out by the Embassy in Washington, thus explaining the change in LA, who in the past have acted as a law unto themselves

This whole notarization red herring is because that requirement is on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site but is not enforced by the Consulates or The Embassy in Washington

I wondered how long it would take my post to turn into the typical TV, my visa is better than your visa, thread, instead of focusing on other members experiences with Police Checks and Medical Certificates

this was through the Houston thai office

Unfortunately, Houston -- and the other honorary consulates -- can no longer issue O-A visas.

I missed that memo. ;) Seriously, when did this occur? Got a source for this like an official Thai govt web site, etc? Cheers and Thanks.

<B>

Thanks for the TV post link. Too bad the honorary consulates can no longer issue O-A visas as it made getting one easier and faster for many folks, to include being able to go to the honorary consulate and ask questions about an O-A visa face-to-face. Got mine in Honolulu years back: the Honolulu Honorary Consulate folks were super helpful and very fast. Now people could still go ask questions but I expect the honorary consulates may not be as knowledgeable or willing to give answers on O-A visas since they are not involved in issuing the O-A's any more. Expect a person would just be referred to the main consulate websites. Additionally, I just went to the Portland Honorary Thai Consulate website and on its the home page
it states:
</B>

Non-Immigrant Visa: $65.00 single 90-day entry

$175.00 one-year multiple entry

(O-A (Retirement) visas can only be issued at Los Angeles, Chicago,

New York and Washington, DC).

All I had show for my OA retirement was a copy of my bank statment, downloaded copy of Thai medical form which was sign by a VA doctor for free and a local police report stating no wants or warrants a very simple procedure/ this was through the Houston thai office via FedEx never even had to go there. There are pros and cons to both ways of getting a long term visa but for the wife and I not knowing anyone here in Thailand or speaking the lanuage the OA in America was much easier than jumping hoops here for the first time. It was nice to arrive and know we had time too sort all procedures out.

Thanks for the info retiredusn. I had contacted the Thai consulate and there has evidently been a change in the O-A process since you got yours. Houston told me you can only do it (O-A longstay) through one of the Consulates General or the D.C. Embassy now. I'll be putting my package together the first week of December.

David

Thai law requires that the doctor's statement be notarized

What Thai law might that be? And I also see the Thai Embassy DC website no longer makes mention of notarization. They probably finally realized that notarization in the States requires a notary public to witness a signature. Doubtful you'd find a notary who would accompany you to the sheriff's and doctor's offices.... ;)

And, the downloaded medical certificate sure gives no indication (or space) for notarization. In fact, it is so simple, I'm sure you could mail it to your doctor for his signature (assuming you've seen him professionally in the last few years). Local sheriff, too, should be simple. Just use his letterhead stationery.

Hi Jim

The law is the one stated on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs webpage which states, "A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission)." As noted by a poster after yours and mine, evidently the D.C. Embassy is not enforcing the law stated on the Ministry's webpage.

The purpose for my original question was to clarify what was happening on the ground. I've practiced law for 27 years and I assume a law will be enforced until I get information to the contrary. I got the information I needed and am a happy camper now. biggrin.gif

David