Best Method To Send Credit Cards And Docs To Thailand

gguy

What is the best method of shipping some credit cards and important docs from USA to Thailand? I originally thought FEDEX or global express mail (the USPS uses FEDEX to transport and deliver and $10 cheaper than FEDEX).

Also thought of using regular air mail with one card or doc in each letter. Try to pack the letter so the card is sandwiched between cardboard or docs. The card would not be obvious.

However, I have read that personal mail (hand addressed) that is over one ounce (thick letter) is an invitation for postal theft. These letters have the highest percentage of cash or something of value. Never had a problem with the Thai postal service but all I get is bank statements and internet bills. I have only received 2 personal letters in my stay in Thailand.

How do most members get important docs to Thailand? Is the true that most hand addressed mail that looks "attractive" is lost by the Thai postal service? How do I make a letter look unattractive to postal thief? Any experiences with the Pattaya postal service?

credit cards and important docs from USA to Thailand..??

Use ALWAYS a company like DHL or UPS for important and valuable CC's and Docs; don't use the post.

It will cost a lot more if your CC's and docs are lost due to a sloppy post system. it might go OK in 90% of the cases but the 10% will be yours'...

I used UPS from Europe with CC's once, even to an island like Samui.

The cards arrived OK but I had a big issue later since they claimed I didn't pay for the costs. (The guy at the UPS office in Samui took the cash-money and thought it was his....:whistling:)

LaoPo

Use ALWAYS a company like DHL or UPS for important and valuable CC's and Docs; don't use the post.

LaoPo

but don't reveal the actual content as ALL courier services (officially) refuse to ship credit cards or ID documents! declaration should be "documents".

Can someone remind me how we are meant to send our UK passports from Thailand to Hong Kong for renewal, as they can no longer do it in Bangkok? Isn't that supposed to be done using the Thai Postal service? :whistling:

I few years ago my credit card was used fraudulently in China (which I have never even visited), so it was cancelled. The card issuer had no problem giving me a new one and refunding the fraudulent transactions, but when I asked if they could send it to me in Thailand rather than to my UK address they told me in no uncertain terms that that was not possible. If it was sent on to me in Thailand by post from the UK that would infringe their terms and conditions and I would no longer be covered for any further fraud. So if postman Purachai decided to get his mia noi a new fur coat by nicking my card from the post, I would end up footing the bill and not the credit card company. I'd really suggest that safe-hand, a friend or someone you know reasonably well, should bring it out for you.

Edited by Guderian

Can someone remind me how we are meant to send our UK passports from Thailand to Hong Kong for renewal, as they can no longer do it in Bangkok? Isn't that supposed to be done using the Thai Postal service?

You don't do either.

You send a copy of your passport to Hong Kong not the original and they suggest that you use DHL not the postal system.

Strange that birthday and xmas cards seldom arrive at my place though the address is in Thai and English. :annoyed:

If you send greetings cards to or from Thailand just tuck the envelope flap in.

Christmas cards and Birthday cards are routinely opened and dumped by dishonest mail workers looking for cash, postal-orders, and cheques etc.

LaoPo

but don't reveal the actual content as ALL courier services (officially) refuse to ship credit cards or ID documents! declaration should be "documents".

Why would they do that, I would have thought it was a core business for them.

My credit card was sent by my bank through one of the couriers, UPS or something like that, don't recall which. Maybe that's a new rule?

I've always had my cards sent in a standard envelope with a stiffish booklet enclosed to disguise the shape of the card and never lost anything. Also ensure that your address includes the postcode 20150 (main Banglamung Post Office) rather than 20260 (Pattaya) otherwise your mail goes via the Pattaya Office as well as the main sorting office in Banglamung and gives an extra opportunity for pilfering.

Why would they do that, I would have thought it was a core business for them.

You would have thought so wouldn't you?

I have only once tried to send a Credit Card from the UK via DHL, they wanted to see inside the package and flatly refused the accept the package containing the card. There was no point in pushing it though I later checked the companies terms and conditions and whilst it said they wouldn't accept currency or bearer bonds there was no mention of credit card.

I sent the card, which could only be used following activation, via Royal Mails "International signed for service" and it arrived in less than a week.

Have a friend in the US that passes on important mail to me here in Thailand. It will always go out as first class registered mail.

This after one regular mail shipment disappeared in 2003, that wasn't sent registered.

Supposedly I should sign for the package, but lately the mail man has just left it by my mailbox…

If there are credit cards in the package they are placed somewhere in the middle of the stack.

Had some very important papers once that I would not take any chance with, these were sent by DHL.

Second hand hard back kids book with picture flaps on the pages that cover some pictures inside. Tape the card under one of the flaps, then double sided tape to keep the flap closed. Send by courier not standard post.

If that isn't safe enough for you, kids book with the hard card pages you can split the page with a knife hide document/card inside, glue it closed again, then post it as a gift, of course.

First option done successfully, not tried the second option, that's taking it too far for me.