American Commits Suicide Following Recent Death Of His 4y Old Son

webfact

Yes, very sad indeed. Reminds me of Eric Clapton's tragedy. However, it's not a completely downhill never-ending slope. There are ways to deal with misfortune. Buddhism recommends 'non-attachment' - it's not just interesting-sounding words, it's a guide for how to avoid suffering in one's life. Granted, a child is probably the biggest attachment a person will ever have, ...that and a romantic interest. However, the loss of one life need not be followed by the loss of another. Where were the guy's friends - did he have anyone dear nearby? If so, were they all just snowballing his grief - or did they offer any glimmers of light for appreciating life?

Sounds like you dont have kids and until you have one you will never know the strength of the bond between parent and child I have a 2 1/2 year old and the thought of losing her would be terrible I can realte to this guy and its such a sad double tragedy

RIP to both of them

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, this and the other topic should be closed out of respect for the departed and their family.

I see no purpose in following this tragedy 'live' on TV. Just because some pattaya paper feels the need to publish this kind of 'news?' Pictures and all, TV should show a bit more 'class'.

A simple text only version (edited) would suffice if it is deemed that this truly is a story that is newsworthy enough to garner a headline on here.

Disagree if you want but if I was a relative of this father and son, I would hope that someone might take this into cosideration.

Just my personal opinion. Rip.

Tragic, but I dont think keeping it private is the best thing to do. I'm sure after reading this story some people have made their own balconies a bit safer and if getting this story out helps to prevent one mone tragedy like this then it will not have all happend in vain. Rip.

This one is about the father's suicide, not the balcony-that's the other topic lower down.just really think the pictures are tasteless. Using your analogy, I guess we should start posting every fatal car accident etc in full colour on here?

To All, If its the families wish to have this report changed, then Thai Visa should honour this. I dont think anyone can read this without getting a lump in their throat, it is so tragic. But people also need to be aware of the tragedy. My friends 6 month old baby died a few months ago from chocking on a toy. I shared this information with my wife to check all the toys etc. If writing about car fatalities would save one persons life I say do it. I have bought a baby seat for my child and showing my wife how to use it etc. It has taken a while for her to use it, but when she sits in the back seat and tells me she doesnt need to wear a seat belt because this is Thailand. Maybe more awareness is needed through stories.

If this tragic story saves just one childs life and a parents life. This is a tragic story. RIP This is written with respect to the family.

I think there is value in allowing this type of thread on the TVForum even if simply for the benefit of the catharsis of its own members over such a tragedy.

Despite our occasional squabbling and pure fun (Bedlam?), there's a "family" aspect of the TVForum which I've always appreciated. It comes out in threads like this.

I fear nobody helped this poor bloke. He was alone. Mourning the death of his baby kid in his room. Coping in a situation like this can be impossible. If he weren't in a foreign country far from his family he wouldn't have committed suicide. My guess.

• Like 1

I fear nobody helped this poor bloke. He was alone. Mourning the death of his baby kid in his room. Coping in a situation like this can be impossible. If he weren't in a foreign country far from his family he wouldn't have committed suicide. My guess.

I met him for only 10 hours on a bus whilst doing a visa run and we talked nonsense non stop, however he mentioned that he had a live in nanny that was from the Philippines and that she had been with him for a year or so i believe, as she was having to do monthly visa runs.

He vaguely mentioned he was ex military or had done something connected but he was most certainly a genuinely nice man, hence im sure he'd have friends here, but maybe no one could have done anything to help him, as sadly nothing was going to change the last few days for him.

Edited by Englander

I fear you're right. We all could come in a similar situation. Who'd help?

I fear you're right. We all could come in a similar situation. Who'd help?

I think in similar situations one should go back to his own country as soon as possible and try to stick to his family and friends. I got some friends here, but if I had some serious psychological situation, I'd take the first flight to my country and seek help from my brother, my mother and my old friends. Staying in Pattaya and meeting "beer buddies" is not the same thing. He could have had some real friends there too, but in my experience it's most unlikely. Also if he had, for sure he could have find more help at home, with his family. with his longtime friends.

So impressed by all the karuna (compassion) expressed here. Would be proud to call you all my friends.

For those interested, there are various ways to reach a state of non-attachment. One is by closing the eyes, and asking "Who am I?", without actively looking for an answer, come what comes.

Going back to the question as often as needed.

Whatever the experience, fine. My own is that I am met by silence.

I can only conclude that this manifest world containing lack is an illusion, and that the fullness is contained in the silence of the unmanifest.

Edited by purushanti
  • Like 1

Read the kidnapping article from the Arizona paper and couldn't hold it. The look happy together, being together after all that commotion...only that as I read the article I know that no more than 2.5 years later tragedy will strike both of them... :(

Another reflection: Folk here are seeing themselves in another, demonstrating the interconnection of the many, or the oneness of the self (from the opposite angle).

As the world seems to be going downhill, individuals like these choose to take the high road. I see myself in other selves.

• Like 1

There is no greater tragedy than losing one of your children.

tell me about it! we lost our only child five years ago and do not see an end to our grieving. even though we try hard to hide from each other what goes on in our minds one can read the other ones mind.

Sorry to hear this Naam, be strong.

It's all been said by these members in this post. Sad and a tragedy and particularly with the loss of a child. I would not want to be put to the test over loss of my kids if it happened. But the comment of detachment is possibly a solution to grief and yes, life moves on. Even sadder for the family in the US he leaves as well as the mother of the child.