Thai Passport

As neither of the the parents are Thai they cannot.

EXCEPT both parents hold Permanent Residence Certificates of Thailand; then the children obtain automatically Thai citizenship.

That rule was gone 1972.

No, Sydebolle is right. When both parents have permanent residency their children born in Thailand become Thai.

See also this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/393861-children-born-in-thailand/page__pid__3846100

I stand corrected.

Before 1972 every child born in Thailand became Thai, even tourists.

...and if they were born in Thailand (to two foriegn parents) between 1972 and 1992, so long as they can prove an ongoing link to Thailand they can get Thai citizenship under changes to the citizenship amendments in 2008.

Ananda Everingham, born to a Lao mother and Australian father in Thailand recently became a Thai citizen, I believe under this 2008 amendment

Edited by Mario2008
link deleted as no linking to Bangkok Post is allowed

I will leave it to somebody who is better qualified than I to comment on the historical changes of the acquisition of Thai nationality by children born to foreign parents. Here are the the original law and subsequent amendments:

Nationality Act 2508 (1965) - Thai - dopa.pdf (sorry, no English translation available)

Thailand Nationality Act 2-2535 (1992) - English - unhcr.pdf

Thailand Nationality Act 3-2535 (1992) - English - unhcr.pdf

Thailand Nationality Act 4-2551 (2008) - English.pdf

sincere thanks

hgma

I will leave it to somebody who is better qualified than I to comment on the historical changes of the acquisition of Thai nationality by children born to foreign parents. Here are the the original law and subsequent amendments:

Nationality Act 2508 (1965) - Thai - dopa.pdf (sorry, no English translation available)

Thailand Nationality Act 2-2535 (1992) - English - unhcr.pdf

Thailand Nationality Act 3-2535 (1992) - English - unhcr.pdf

Thailand Nationality Act 4-2551 (2008) - English.pdf

Hi.

My question is slightly different, but maybe this audience can help. I am married to a Thai and have 5 children, 3 of them are born here in thailand, they are Thai as they have their passports. However, does it help me to gain a Passport easier? I have read the forum on how to get a passport and the work required and the time required, I was just hoping that since we have children together the process may have an option to move more quickly?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

C