Astro Tv, Working Great.......

edwinchester

It's a mesh, but it worked fine for Dream which is also KU band.

Yes, but that is like saying oranges are the same as apples

because both are round and juicy..........

In both cases here, Measat and ABS5, you are outside the predicted/planned/published footprint

of the satellite. Unless someone has a meter to measure the actual signal strength it is all guess work.

About 3 years ago Malaysia launched a new satellite 3A.

It may be that some of the channels are still on the old bird and the rest on the new,

which may account for the differences.

The footprints for the two birds may well be slightly different.

Get your installer to tweak the dish and see if it helps.

The lyngsat list is not really clear on the matter. http://www.lyngsat.com/mea91.html

Also your link says "However, with a mesh dish- if the "holes" in the mesh are greater than a quarter inch, the chances of computability are not in your favor, due to the fact that your dish won't reflect Ku-band signals properly.". The holes in my dish are about 1-2 mm, (1/4) inch = 0.635 centimeters. So I think that is not the problem.

Maybe some re-alignment, both of the dish and the LNB (vertical/horizontal).

Differences in signal strength between channels are possible, as Astro uses several transponders, and usually, on every satellite, there is difference in power output between the transponders.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/astromalaysia.html

On the above page you'll see how Astro's channels are divided over the 8 transponders it uses, likely the weak/problematic channels will all be on the same transponder.

• 4 months later...

Who was the installer?

Astro TV is by far the cheaper offerings than from True. I have been using it for 2 years while I was working in Bangkok. And now they have the HD service and I think is a no brainer.

The other reason is the languages in the channels are mostly native English and not dubbed like True.

I had it installed by an excellent installer company. However, I took up the subscription while I was in Malaysia and pay the subscription through my credit card online.In this way, I get the best direct rates.

I was given a IC card and I just insert into the widely available Astro STB for sale in the installer company. If you have a problem, I just called the customer service to malaysia, and they can do a lot of things like resetting, subscription matters and etc. And yes, the Astro customer service can speak great English.

I use a VERY BIG DISH. to prolong signal strengths in case of bad weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Also your link says "However, with a mesh dish- if the "holes" in the mesh are greater than a quarter inch, the chances of computability are not in your favor, due to the fact that your dish won't reflect Ku-band signals properly.". The holes in my dish are about 1-2 mm, (1/4) inch = 0.635 centimeters. So I think that is not the problem.

Hello,

I'm having the same problem here in Bangkok. I had my movable 7 feet dish, that I used for Dstv, fitted with a C/Ku Band LNB and set up for Astro. Some channels are perfect but on others the signal is dropping every few seconds makig it impossible to watch. It seems to happen on the frequency 11642 (Australian Network channel among others). The guy who installed my new LNB is telling me that my dish is to small, but JSAT is advertising the ASTRO network with a 6 feet mesh dish.....I did call them an they confirm it should work with a 7 feet mesh dish.

So maybe the guy didn't instal the LNB properly and try to blame it on my dish (2 1/2 year old) as I didn't buy it form him...

I'm still investigating, I will post if I found any solutons / informations.

MonkeyDad

Edited by MonkeyDad

How big is your dish ?

I d'like to know the installer as well

Who was the installer?

Astro TV is by far the cheaper offerings than from True. I have been using it for 2 years while I was working in Bangkok. And now they have the HD service and I think is a no brainer.

The other reason is the languages in the channels are mostly native English and not dubbed like True.

I had it installed by an excellent installer company. However, I took up the subscription while I was in Malaysia and pay the subscription through my credit card online.In this way, I get the best direct rates.

I was given a IC card and I just insert into the widely available Astro STB for sale in the installer company. If you have a problem, I just called the customer service to malaysia, and they can do a lot of things like resetting, subscription matters and etc. And yes, the Astro customer service can speak great English.

I use a VERY BIG DISH. to prolong signal strengths in case of bad weather.

Hello,

I'm having the same problem here in Bangkok. I had my movable 7 feet dish, that I used for Dstv, fitted with a C/Ku Band LNB and set up for Astro. Some channels are perfect but on others the signal is dropping every few seconds makig it impossible to watch. It seems to happen on the frequency 11642 (Australian Network channel among others). The guy who installed my new LNB is telling me that my dish is to small, but JSAT is advertising the ASTRO network with a 6 feet mesh dish.....I did call them an they confirm it should work with a 7 feet mesh dish.

So maybe the guy didn't instal the LNB properly and try to blame it on my dish (2 1/2 year old) as I didn't buy it form him...

I'm still investigating, I will post if I found any solutons / informations.

MonkeyDad

In my case the problem turned out to be the guy providing the codes were oversubscribing his servers. I changed to another guy and the problem was solved, have perfect picture now.

Unfortunately forum rules prevent me from being any more specific, PM me if you need more info.

After several months of using a 70 cm dish, (solid) here on Samui, for Astro, the installer upgraded me to a 90cm solid dish, which is definitely better & except for extremely heavy rain the picture is perfect 95-98 % of the time, even on HD... the last few days of heavy rain periods has proved that....

The supplier (PSI) tried out the 120 cm dish, without finding any significant difference, (he did that before coming to switch the 70cm dish, at my house, I thought that was very honest of him, since I would have not known the difference).

On the Astro web site, one cannot log in without a Malaysian SIN number or equivalent, which I guess means a trip to Malaysia, before next July.... has anyone found a work around on that? It would be so much more convenient!