Mugged On Sukhumvit - Friendly Warning

osten

Thanks. I assumed she was female as she talks about jewelry and accessories. Men dont wear that shit where I'm from.

Drefyus (Chief Inspector)

My dear collegue Drefyus, i dare to remind you, that real men only wear real perls and the OP might not belong to "where you come from"....have a nice day.

Doggie Doo (Mischief Inspector)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Proactive thinking is one of the best methods to contrast these kind of inconveniences, together with visual recognization, a mugger, can usually be identified by his/her/hir/hes dirty hands, watch carefully...ph34r.png

post-73039-0-95384200-1337408941_thumb.j

i must watch my back a bit, though they were apparently just local thugs, not part of a "real" gang

This quote reminds me of when i first moved to my new neighbourhood, there was a discussion between the many people of the area, boosting up about how this place was free from thiefs and any of the past thefts was possibly being made by some of those random street walkers with no fix abode....

By living in the area and seeing the real facts by myself i was able to find out that the thiefs are ALWAYS the people living just around you, that watch all your movements and wait for the right moment to strike, the police with on front of them the self confessed and proud thief will just try to frame the foreigner instead and asking you questions like "do you have any other valuables or moneys in your house? can you tell me where do you keep them?" no jokes here!

Thanks for the update, i just wish i could give out some similar ones but i guess your bibs just sort it by mistakes or there was a way for them to have an economic gain from somewhere in taking action

What?

My neighbour got stabbed in the arm once when some thai guys tried to rob him at the atm

this is not a man you would rob ,hes a steroid taking lunatic,fitness fanatic ,i dont know what they were thinking

trying to rob such a creature armed with just a pocket knife (must have been drug addicts to take a risk like that )

he was afraid if he reported it ,they situation would get twisted around (thai style + 3 witnesses against a farang ) and he would have to pay compensation to them for their medical expenses and then pay to police to avoid prosecution

certaintly no city is 100% safe,no matter what size you are but i feel safer in bkk now than i did in many american and european cities

Thanks osten for this reminder that when we are in thailand bad things can happen,

Unlike other countries? ... or for that matter other big cities (this happened in Bangkok).

This isn't a forum for other countries.

Reading half these responses, anyone would think it's just not safe to go out with more than 100 baht in your pocket and that just isn't true.

As the OP said, wrong place, wrong time. Could've happened anywhere.

Personally, there's no f***ing way I'd've given up my shit like that but I can understand why an older guy might've been inclined to do so.

Just dont forget the demographics here most guys are old and out of shape. But i am in shape and younger... but i wont argue much against someone with a knife.

One guy showing a knife. 3 other guys potentially with knifes and Thai boxing skills.

Protecting a few electronic items isn't worth your health or life.

Reading half these responses, anyone would think it's just not safe to go out with more than 100 baht in your pocket and that just isn't true.

Personally, there's no f***ing way I'd've given up my shit like that but I can understand why an older guy might've been inclined to do so.

Just dont forget the demographics here most guys are old and out of shape. But i am in shape and younger... but i wont argue much against someone with a knife.

One guy showing a knife. 3 other guys potentially with knifes and Thai boxing skills.

RE: worth your life

Give him a few more years to mature to realize such an obvious fact.

Edited by Nisa

Actually the reality of it was that the 3rd guy had a small tactical nuke that he'd already stolen from the Iwhosians a few weeks ago when they had been drinking too much. Well, they were legless after all.....

so the idea of giving up the blackberry is not such a bad idea. Better than having all of the Sukhumvit leveled.. or.....

hmmm

Actually the reality of it was that the 3rd guy had a small tactical nuke that he'd already stolen from the Iwhosians a few weeks ago when they had been drinking too much. Well, they were legless after all.....

so the idea of giving up the blackberry is not such a bad idea. Better than having all of the Sukhumvit leveled.. or.....

hmmm

Lets face it...The OP was writing back in 2010...

You are not giving up very much giving up your Blackberry today.

See post 66 in the thread. The OP talks about having a wife.

http://www.thaivisa....50#entry5279045

Thanks - mystery solved. Now what to focus on for the next 45-minutes before I finish work.

Edit: Mystery not solved. That is from the first poster who got mugged. We are talking about the other poster who claimed they were mugged the day of their posting. See http://www.thaivisa....50#entry5278611

Ah. My bad.

Hate to break it to you but blackberries are consumer items, essentially disposable. And certainly not worth 3 grand. And I can remember nights in Calgary when staggering back to hotel from that blues bar near the river (creek actually) where the feeling of impending doom was prevalent. Only thing that saved me and my pocket protector was the fact that I'd vomited all over myself on leaving the Blues Bar.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am always surprised how safe bangkok is compared to any other major city in the world and specially the ones with a poverty issue.

I have been to shithole backstreets in bangkok feeling safer than anywhere else.

Having said that, it still sucks for you and obviously things do happen even in bangkok and i dont think you should be afraid and start taking cabs ............it happens. I was 32 and broke my hip in my hotelroom in pattaya and it took 3 years to kinda heal ( not completely ), that happens too.

If we were talking about brazil.....any major city there lol hell yeah take a cab anywhere because those bastards take your money and just might still kill you to make a point.

My girlfriend had her stupidly-placed wallet lifted out of her 'schoolbag'-style gym bag in broad daylight on Soi 22 last week. The thief wasn't very good - she felt the pull and turned around to see him hand it off to another (possibly innocent 3rd party) guy and run off. She had her headphones in and with no idea of her volume and at a reflex, screamed "hey! give me my wallet!" at the second guy. He froze, made a face like someone who's shat themselves on the BTS, threw the wallet back to her, said sorry and walked off. My girlfriend stood in disbelief holding her returned wallet while the people around her had a good chuckle. Well he gave it back, fairs fair! This country never fails to surprise blink.png

• 2 months later...

dam_n - that is terrible. Good that you're OK.

So you were carrying your Blackberry, MP3 player and laptop.. I assume the laptop was in your backpack or something?

stupid.

When the hell are you carying all that electrical at 0330hrs when it is dark.

Do you not have any common sense?

Sorry for the experience but I am sure it is a lesson learned.

And you weren't even drunk. At least if you was you'd have an excuse!

lesson learned friend.

I've recently heard of at least three cases of foreigners being robbed by motorcycle riders in the Sukhumvit area. People I know.

Soi 22, soi 15 and Sukhumvit in front of Intercontinetal.

Cops don't care.Probably get a cut.

You did the right thing. Better to be a thousand dollars poorer, than to be dead or in a coma due to a vicious beating/stabbing. Just about anyplace in bkk can be dangerous at 3 am, even under normal circumstances. When you add drugs into the mix, as in ya ba, as these 4 scumbags may have been using or seeking, the danger level takes a quantum leap.

stupid.

When the hell are you carying all that electrical at 0330hrs when it is dark.

Do you not have any common sense?

Oh look, the ThaiVisa "som nam naa!" brigade's here to render judgement. Good job on repeating lesson learned twice, that's helpful.

Some of us work late at night, particularly if we're coordinating with North American colleagues. I've done similar walks home from offices (or from my condo to go work in a cafe or something) in and around the area with roughly the same amount of gear. In 2012 a laptop and a phone and an MP3 player isn't as crazy as it sounds to people who grew up when computers were the size of a room and a ship-to-shore phone in your car was considered high-tech, it's daily walking around gear.

While it's very unfortunate that this happened, the guy is not stupid and Bangkok is not Manila where this kind of thing happens every 5 seconds and where companies provide rooms for people to lock up their valuables instead of carrying them home. I'm sure his situation sounds weird given lack of context, but it's not all that odd among people I know and we've all lived here for years and years as well. He could've been mugged carrying a wallet with 10,000 Baht in it - would that be "stupid" too? What about a watch? Maybe if you need to walk around at 03:30 in the morning for some reason you should go naked so that no one can steal your clothes, thus bringing on the watchful and condescending eye of the Daily Mailer denizens of TV.