Thai Hospital Seeks Donations To Send Comatose German Tourist Home

webfact

Thai hospital seeks donations to send comatose German home

A Thai hospital is seeking donations to send a German home after providing 62,500 dollars worth of free treatment to the comatose patient, hospital sources said Wednesday.

Mathias Stefan Koch, 39, was admitted to Songklanakarind Hospital in Had Yai, 700 kilometres south of Bangkok, on October 25 after sustaining a head injury at the city airport that left him in a coma.

The hospital tried to contact Koch's relatives via the German embassy but failed to find anyone willing to take the man home.

This week the hospital set up a Fund for Assisting the Patient Named Mathias Stefan Koch in an attempt to raise 400,000 baht (12,500 dollars) from the public to buy plane tickets to transport Koch and accompanying doctors and nurses to Germany.

"We have treated him free of charge for the past 10 months, and now he is starting to come out of his coma although he still can't speak," said Sukanya Panthomrawee, head of the hospital's patients' rights and entitlement division.

She said the hospital had spent about 2 million baht on drugs and medical treatment for Koch since October.

"We are not asking for the money back," Sukanya said. "At this hospital we often provide free treatment to refugees, such as Burmese labourers working in Had Yai who have no money."

Koch, who hails from Bamberg in eastern central Germany, was staying at a guest house in Songkhla, a beach resort near Had Yai, before his accident.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-01

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This sounds awful. Good to hear his condition is improving. I'll take my hat off to the Thai hospital. Anyone knows what happened on the the airport that caused the injuries?

"another paper" has said he was injured in a fall at the Hat Yai airport. He has a mental illness and in a apparently confused state climbed and subsequently fell from an overhead passageway that ran through to a utility room at the airport. This happened last October.

I agree its extraordinary of the hospital to have provided such involved care for such a long time without remuneration and kudos to them for doing so.

I understand the German Embassy's (among others) policy of not providing financial assistance to its citizens in a foreign country, but given that the Thais have done so much for him already, perhaps an exception is warranted in this specific case and they could finance his return home.

Short of that, an offer of assistance from one of German ex-pat organizations in Thailand would be a terrific gesture.

• Like 1

Did a google search and came up with this tidbit:

Bangkok - A Thai hospital is seeking donations to send a German home after providing 62,500 dollars worth of free treatment to the comatose patient, hospital sources said Wednesday.

Mathias Stefan Koch, 39, was admitted to Songklanakarind Hospital in Had Yai, 700 kilometres south of Bangkok, on October 25 after sustaining a head injury at the city airport that left him in a coma.

The hospital tried to contact Koch's relatives via the German embassy but failed to find anyone willing to take the man home.

This week the hospital set up a Fund for Assisting the Patient Named Mathias Stefan Koch in an attempt to raise 400,000 baht (12,500 dollars) from the public to buy plane tickets to transport Koch and accompanying doctors and nurses to Germany.

"We have treated him free of charge for the past 10 months, and now he is starting to come out of his coma although he still can't speak," said Sukanya Panthomrawee, head of the hospital's patients' rights and entitlement division.

She said the hospital had spent about 2 million baht on drugs and medical treatment for Koch since October.

"We are not asking for the money back," Sukanya said. "At this hospital we often provide free treatment to refugees, such as Burmese labourers working in Had Yai who have no money."

Koch, who hails from Bamberg in eastern central Germany, was staying at a guest house in Songkhla, a beach resort near Had Yai, before his accident.

Had Yai Police Captain Surachet Praneeya said Koch had bought a plane ticket from Had Yai airport to Bangkok dated October 26, 2009, but he showed up at the airport one day in advance.

"Koch had knife wounds on his arms and neck, apparently from self mutilation," Surachet told the German Press Agency, dpa. "He had tried to get into the departure lounge but was told to come back the next day. Then he went upstairs and attempted to jump into the departure area, causing his head injury."

So far the hospital had raised only 25,000 baht for the Koch fund, Sukanya said. Donations are being received at the Siam Commercial Bank, account 565-4-39248-5.

"We can confirm it's not a hoax," a German Embassy official said.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/342044,send-comatose-german-home.html

in a apparently confused state climbed and subsequently fell from an overhead passageway that ran through to a utility room at the airport. This happened last October.

"He had tried to get into the departure lounge but was told to come back the next day. Then he went upstairs and attempted to jump into the departure area, causing his head injury."

That would explain why he was on the overhead passageway, but doesn't explain why he thought it was so imperative to leave the day before his ticket was valid for.

Unfortunately, there's a lot about mental illness that is unexplainable. :(

in a apparently confused state climbed and subsequently fell from an overhead passageway that ran through to a utility room at the airport. This happened last October.

"He had tried to get into the departure lounge but was told to come back the next day. Then he went upstairs and attempted to jump into the departure area, causing his head injury."

That would explain why he was on the overhead passageway, but doesn't explain why he thought it was so imperative to leave the day before his ticket was valid for.

Unfortunately, there's a lot about mental illness that is unexplainable. :(

The family probably knew it and apparently do not want anything more to do with him:

This man was shown on Channel 7 news today and yesterday, at around 5 pm.

But he still looks to be in a bad way, has a hole in his throat to help him breath. I couldn't see what other injuries he had but he didn't look like he even knew where he was.

German embassy should be ashamed, leaving a very sick person to fend for themselves in a foreign country.

Edited by Hawk
  • Like 1

I agree its extraordinary of the hospital to have provided such involved care for such a long time without remuneration and kudos to them for doing so.

I understand the German Embassy's (among others) policy of not providing financial assistance to its citizens in a foreign country, but given that the Thais have done so much for him already, perhaps an exception is warranted in this specific case and they could finance his return home.

Short of that, an offer of assistance from one of German ex-pat organizations in Thailand would be a terrific gesture.

I agree that the Thai hospital has been super generous and supportive of this man's needs. Now the germans need to take care of one of their own. Pity that the German Embassy is not willing to help out; however, the US Embassy is much the same. Real shame...

• Like 1

I will always remember the name of this hospital and the lady involved:

Songklanakarind Hospital in Had Yai,

Sukanya Panthomrawee, head of the hospital's patients' rights and entitlement division.

I will also remember the German Embassy having so far not having lifted a finger or am I missing something?

As posted hats of to the hospital !!! Its is also the same with the uk embassey , if say this was me , they would do nothing , but if I was an illigal immirgrant in the uk I would get a 1000 pound a week house ! Truly double standards ! I do hope the german papers pick up on this

• Like 1

This week the hospital set up a Fund for Assisting the Patient Named Mathias Stefan Koch in an attempt to raise 400,000 baht from the public to buy plane tickets to transport Koch and accompanying doctors and nurses to Germany.

So far the hospital had raised only 25,000 baht for the Koch fund, Sukanya said.

375,000 baht. Are they any rich benevolent Germans in Thailand that could wipe that out in one swoop?

I will always remember the name of this hospital and the lady involved:

Songklanakarind Hospital in Had Yai,

Sukanya Panthomrawee, head of the hospital's patients' rights and entitlement division.

I will also remember the German Embassy having so far not having lifted a finger or am I missing something?

Yes. It is the German tourist and expat community that so far does not appear to have rendered any assistance. It is too easy to blame the "embassy". The embassy is obliged to follow the rules set by the German government. Please note that the German people delivered a stern rebuke at the polls to Dr. Merkel, Chancellor, because of the government's decision on the support of the EU and IMF initiatives in the European financial crisis. The cry from the public was no more spending. If the German people care, let the German press take up the cause and help raise the funds.

Because this guy doesn't have anyone setting up a facebook page for him or posting glowing memories of him on the web, he languishes in a hospital ward. Unfortunately, many people like this person make their way to Thailand and suffer injury and death due to their own behaviour. We then read about them in threads like, "man falls from Pattaya balcony or is found hanging", only to then be treated to a flurry of comments suggesting it was an attempted "murder".

There's no shortage of German websites that have picked up on the story now, so hopefully now that it is out there in the public, it can be resolved quickly:

http://www.abendzeit...e/bayern/209575

http://www.sz-online....asp?id=2550123

http://www.infranken...koma-63223.html

http://www.wz-newsli...e/?redid=930230

http://www.op-online...oma-901423.html

http://www.tz-online...oma-901423.html

http://www.ovb-onlin...oma-901423.html

plus quite a few more

This is most encouraging and helpful as compared with the previous post. Thank you!

This sounds awful. Good to hear his condition is improving. I'll take my hat off to the Thai hospital. Anyone knows what happened on the the airport that caused the injuries?

"another paper" has said he was injured in a fall at the Hat Yai airport. He has a mental illness and in a apparently confused state climbed and subsequently fell from an overhead passageway that ran through to a utility room at the airport. This happened last October.

I quite don't understand the embassy at all. I was under the impression that an embassy must provide financially to countrymen who are in trouble aborad. I'm pretty sure an englishman (friend of a friend) got his ticket paid from the embassy to go back to england. I was under the impression that they Must help you out and then you have to give the money back once resettled. Am I wrong then?

I quite don't understand the embassy at all. I was under the impression that an embassy must provide financially to countrymen who are in trouble aborad. I'm pretty sure an englishman (friend of a friend) got his ticket paid from the embassy to go back to england. I was under the impression that they Must help you out and then you have to give the money back once resettled. Am I wrong then?

You got that wrong. The main idea behind an embassy is to have a established diplomatic connection between the two involved states and not to be an emergency service for fellow countrymen in distress.

You got that wrong. The main idea behind an embassy is to have a established diplomatic connection between the two involved states and not to be an emergency service for fellow countrymen in distress.

You are correct on your idea on an embassy but unfortunately most people thank that their embassy is a free meal ticket.

If it were just that, why bothering openin the consulates "to the public"? I'm investigating now what is the state of the art in Italy. Let you know if they must provide or not (obviously this has nothing to do with the german embassy).

Truly a sad story. I can understand why some countries decide not to help people as this is sometime abused, but in this case it's not a question of abuse, the man is breathing via a hole in his throat!?

To me this is crystal clear; Germany should pay for the transport as soon as possible and possibly reimburse the Thai hospital for caring for the man for so long.

I feel like giving the hospital a donation. Really.

iko,

You are right on the spot. Why then have a consulate office? Why then warn citizens not to visit a country when in danger? The health and welfare of the citizens should be its concern not only shaking hands with Foreign Minister and ambassadors of other countries.

iko,

You are right on the spot. Why then have a consulate office? Why then warn citizens not to visit a country when in danger? The health and welfare of the citizens should be its concern not only shaking hands with Foreign Minister and ambassadors of other countries.

Have you ever heard of travel insurance agencies?

Of course embassies also offer a certain services for their fellow countrymen, but they are not a welfare institution.

So sad and tragic individual cases maybe, that is not the job of an embassy to help here out.

iko,

Of course embassies also offer a certain services for their fellow countrymen, but they are not a welfare institution.

So sad and tragic individual cases maybe, that is not the job of an embassy to help here out.

That said, a hospital in a developing country is not a welfare institution either.

I wonder if someone would complain if the hospital decided to wheel the guy out of the hospital and park him in the street awaiting his death?

This is the kind of situation where an exception should be made.

I actually feel like taking some action to make this happen.

Edited by Forethat

My question is why was a mentally ill man allowed to travel by himself or perhaps he did not? Without being able to question the man it would be difficult to ascertain if he was in fact abandoned.

I have experienced family members who have distanced themselves from a 'problem' in a private school and this mans reaction to not being allowed on the aircraft is somewhat predictable. Confusion transcends to fear and thus quite understandable that his fear of being stranded caused his reaction to climb and thus fall. The self inflicted injuries also could be a result of that but I am no psychiatrist.

However, that being said, the attitude of the German Embassy is appalling or perhaps they still maintain the stupidity of the Master Race and only the strong survive.

annoyed.gif

Let's hope one of the airlines steps up and donates the tickets. Would be good publicity. I can only imagine how many cases the Bangkok embassies are confronted with daily, looking at the quality tourists and ex-pats that prevail here in Thailand. Certainly can't expect the taxpayer at home to pay up for tickets, hotel stays, lawyers, prison visits and more....

What really astonishes, is the unwillingness of his family to help out. Very strange. Congrats to the hospital, luckily he did not end up in one of the Pattaya hospitals, things would have ended differently for sure. Sad story. One of many.

Thailand is attempting to become a medical hub .... for the private patient :)

Pretty much every non governmental hospital is a (local)business and they cannot afford to have local or foreign non paying bodies taking up their valuable bed/ward space.

As a previous patient in both the (non paying)and the (private)hospitals I have seen that the private hospitals work/run more as a business enterprise than anything else.

Eg: 4 days in a Private hospital = over B400,000

the next 2 weeks in a Government hospital, still in ICU, B45,000

Someone, somewhere is extracting the urine!

iko,

Yes, i've also heard othat "stuff happens", and btw also if he had an insurance, maybe by now he'd be already over the coverage limit. Anyway, I think cases like this don't happen everyday and don't jeopardize the financial state of any state (let alone the strong germany). And I'm pretty sure that germany has a good welfare. So this guy can be hospitalized and helped till he stays within his country borders but cannot be helped anymore if he crosses the borders? Lawful or not, it sounds very inhumane to me. Who's the third world country now? Thailand, or Germany?

I am still flabergasted about people such as this one who travel to a country half way around the world without making some sort of plan to get out if a problem arose. It does appear that Thailand get a lot of this sort looking for a change of pace without thinking about the consequences.

It does appear his family has washed there hands of this guy and maybe there poor Germans without the funds to help, it does appear Germany has fallen on hard times since they refuse to help one of there own out. Now if he had put himself in harms way and been kidnapped by a anti government group some where they would have been Johnnie-on-the-spot to fly him home.

There must be Germans on Thaivisa taking up a collection as I write this now.