Postal Service

kenny999

there are numerous threads on this subject, and they all go down the same lines where most posts will say the post office is great, and there will be some where they say it is appalling. this is because the outward post from thailand is usually fine, and it is difficult to target one individual. if you are losing a lot of outward post, it is most certainly the post office. there are a number of post office, which are well known to the police, where post is lost on a regular basis. one such post office is the prakanong post office on sukhumvit. the easy solution is just to switch post offices. on sukhumvit, just go down the road and use the thonglor branch.

Most problems occur with incoming post, where an individual is easilty targeted, and then they come on forums like this and say the postal service here is carp. it is most likely that incoming post is being stolen by your postman, because he/she has the best opportunaity to do so. the soloution to this one is more difficult. if you confront the postman, he will just deny it. the best thing to do is have a word with the boss at your local post office. Actually, the postal service here is pretty reliable, and there are theives in the postal services' of every country.

I have only had a couple of things not arrive here. I have found if I don't put my postal code here in Rawai, it usually always arrives. The times I have given the postal code to the person sending me something it hasn't arrived. So. I'm not sure that the problem is on this end, it may be the automated readers reading the code number instead of reading Thailand. But this is from the USA not the UK...

Often the problem is that the postman does not know the address on the letter. House numbering in Phuket is notoriously haphazard. I often have mail delivered to my address that is completely wrong. Sometimes wrong street number, other times even the wrong street. I always take back to the post office, but I wonder how many other people would go to that trouble. I guess it's just chucked in the trash.

I receive incoming ems almost daily at my business containing valuable items, usually in their original packaging with company logos on the outside so its clear what's inside and never once had a problem. Id go with your address being hard to find or not being home as the reason.

I receive incoming ems almost daily at my business containing valuable items, usually in their original packaging with company logos on the outside so its clear what's inside and never once had a problem. Id go with your address being hard to find or not being home as the reason.

ems is a different thing: it has proper tracking, insurance and requires a signature. if the post office lost a lot of ems, they would soon put a stop to it, because of all the compensation they would have to dish out. my guess the op is talking about residential mail. most residential mail is not sent by ems or courier.

who in their right mind would send anything of value using anything other than EMS? And btw I get all my normal mail letters from overseas, at my house no problem.

the op does not mention anything about ems or valuable items, he just says items he is expecting. he could be expecting a postcard from his mate on holiday, but you would not send a postcard ems. the fact is most mail sent is not sent ems, as a letter would cost over £10.00 to send overseas. if he was losing ems packages, he simply has to phone the ems phoneline, and they would track the item for him.

the op does not mention anything about ems or valuable items, he just says items he is expecting. he could be expecting a postcard from his mate on holiday, but you would not send a postcard ems. the fact is most mail sent is not sent ems, as a letter would cost over £10.00 to send overseas. if he was losing ems packages, he simply has to phone the ems phoneline, and they would track the item for him.

The Thai post office seems fine. I'm not in the easiest house to find and I still haven't bought a mail box for over 4 years. Plus my dog isn't very friendly to people she doesn't know, but he leaves the mail in one of my motorbike's basket or leaves an EMS notice under my door. But I got new credit card deliver by FED EX and he had a problem with finding me and said I should have the sender put my Thai phone number on the delivery order. And yes international EMS is expensive and not any faster than Airmail. And they lost a letter of mine and said we delivered it, but it was to a PO Box and there was no one to sign for it. I had to fax the letter in the end.

Good luck! But as I said before leave off the postal or ZIP code and you'll have a better chance of getting it.

At no point have I said the Thailand post is bad I asked for opinions as to the quality of the service, I have had a couple of things go missing and the latest EMS parcel not delivered, tracking says out for delivery then no such address, company are looking into it today.

Lost loads when in Patong.. In fact it was my mail where the postmaster got caught on video robbing (minor stir in the Thai press at the time) but police didnt act and he ran off..

In Kathu its mostly fine for regular mail.. But my mum never seems to understand to register things of value and this year we lost a box of birthday presents one time and a card that had some cash inside another. If it has value it HAS to be registered IMO.

Like LiK I continually get mail thats not addressed to me. Funny enough its always english writing and western names.. I think he just goes, thats 'farang' will take it to the 'farangs house' rather than actually look at the address.

Like LiK I continually get mail thats not addressed to me. Funny enough its always english writing and western names.. I think he just goes, thats 'farang' will take it to the 'farangs house' rather than actually look at the address.

Funny, I only get Thai mail delivered to the wrong address. Normally I deliver it myself to the correct place.

No problems with missing mail. I do have mail sent to my office address in stead of private address though, the latter address is impossible to find, so I don't even try.

Loads of mail lost/stolen. It's always personal mail that fails to arrive. Anything with a business logo or a postage frank on it gets through just fine. Put a regular stamp on it so it looks like a personal letter and it'll never get through. Lost or stolen... I'm going with stolen.