Living My Life In Thailand

ginooooo

Since I am from the USA, retired, kinda have checked, is there only 1 service there for high speed internet? I trade in US markets and wish to still do that next year when I move. What is important to me is I will be on the computer a LOT and in the states, only DSL using phone lines does not limit how much you you upload or download for the monthly fee and internet does not slow down when you reach a company's limit. Does Thailand do the same? I do know they block some websites, sometimes.

Also, is there only 1 company there for English speaking satellite TV? The home we made already there already has a Thai satellite and get a few English speaking stuff but there is another with HBO, BBC, ESPN, etc which I can get? I know of only one.

Appreciate any comments on this as I need my fix with the internet and tv over there.

All you want's available.

At least 1200 baht for reliable and reasonably fast internet. No data limit, or if there is, it's massive because I haven't had any problems even with my kids on youtube all day long.

3G internet access also available

Cable TV with all your mentioned channels and more for about 3000 baht a month.

Get a friend or family to host a SLINGBOX for you with a cable service and a dedicated DVR for you. It shouldn't be hard to find such a friend as you should be paying them to share their cable service and cable service is expensive. You can also hook up a slingbox to a DVD player and get a Netflix account for movies. Again a friend may want to help and they will get to watch the movies also. BTW, not all movies are available on torrents, believe it or not.

At least 1200 baht for reliable and reasonably fast internet. No data limit, or if there is, it's massive because I haven't had any problems even with my kids on youtube all day long.

GREAT you also trade! Most important I need a fast and reliable internet. Seeing the advice here, I trade US stocks with State Street, any advice who to invest with there in Thailand? Also is HBSC offshore banking reliable? Do they do trading online?

Thanks.

GREAT you also trade! Most important I need a fast and reliable internet. Seeing the advice here, I trade US stocks with State Street, any advice who to invest with there in Thailand? Also is HBSC offshore banking reliable? Do they do trading online?

Thanks.

Yes, HSBC have online trading services and they are more secure than most.

Also consider Boom Securities out of HK. Lower costs. If you do a lot of trades, it makes a difference. You can open an account from abroad.

Too bad, I do not think I have cable where I will be living. Just checked Truvision and their platinum package sure does not have much that I like. Was hoping for the golf channel.

True Visions has the Golf Channel. It's an extra 200 baht a month if you have the Gold package.

TH

I have Dish tv here in the states. Looks like Dish has now their shows via the internet with an account. I would not mind paying for that account living in Thailand and using the internet, and running the output from the computer to a big screen tv.

http://beta.dishonline.com/?WT.mc_id=Ret_Newsletter_Sept

Ex-pat's might want to look into that option.