Vegemite Where To Buy

Pattayatony

wasnt Vegemite originally from the scrapping left in the Vat after making beer, hence the yeast extract?

aha

"Vegemite is one of several yeast extract spreads sold in Australia. It is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives. It is very dark reddish-brown, almost black, in color, and one of the richest sources known of Vitamin B. It's thick like peanut butter, it's very salty, and it tastes like - well let's just say that it is an acquired taste! "

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/VegemiteHistory.htm

Never tasted it and from this post don't want to try. Sounds like something from an "I Love Lucy" show, oh that was VEGAVITA VITAMEN and that had alcohol in it. Maybe that's what's missing from Vegemite. :o

That's an interesting link to vegemite history from baz. It actually says that it was "invented" in 1922 in Melbourne (using the same ingredients as marmite) to - and I quote,

"In 1928 Vegemite was renamed and registered as Parwill in an attempt to boost its sales and to attract customers of the rival spread Marmite (an English yeast spread that dominated the Australian market since 1910)."

Ozzies were eating marmite for 18 years!

Edited by eefoo

If Poppa won't, Marmite....

........take a look at it....it's such a sissy looking jar. :o

marmite1.gif

Vegemite is the superior brand.

vegemite.jpg

Mouse, Aussie uses for the obnoxious, inferior substance to Marmite that is called Vegimite !

Should ones Landcruser develop a hole in the fuel tank whislt crossing the Simpson, get some ball dust, mix it with spitall, and vegemite, aplly to damaged tank, "Walla fixed" would pass the next rego !

Should one obtain the Virgin take away bride from pattaya, get her back to Wagga wagga, and find one ones wedding night no vaseline total disaster ! vegemite will do ! adds colour !

Why do Aussies allways copy Pommie gear, and say " AUSSIE MADE AND THE BEST" !

Joking asside, I love to Bast..ds, afer all you provide 50%of my income !

If Poppa won't, Marmite....

........take a look at it....it's such a sissy looking jar. :o

marmite1.gif

Vegemite is the superior brand.

vegemite.jpg

Mouse, Aussie uses for the obnoxious, inferior substance to Marmite that is called Vegemite !

Should ones Landcruiser develop a hole in the fuel tank whilst crossing the Simpson, get some ball dust, mix it with spitall, and vegemite, aplly to damaged tank, "Walla fixed" would pass the next rego !

Should one obtain the Virgin take away bride from pattaya, get her back to Wagga wagga, and find one ones wedding night no vaseline total disaster ! vegemite will do ! adds colour !

Why do Aussies allways copy Pommie gear, and say " AUSSIE MADE AND THE BEST" !

Joking asside, I love you Bast..ds, after all you provide 50%of my income !

For anyone who hasn't tried it, and is willing to give it ago.

You put a thick layer of butter on toast - real butter, not magarine. Make sure the toast is not too hot because the butter needs to stay on top rather than melting into the toast and then spread a THIN layer of vegemite (or marmite) on top of the butter.

I'm sure most people would enjoy this.

Has anyone spotted PROMITE in Pattaya? I prefer it for its less salty, sweeter and richer flavour.

You can now buy Marmite in a plastic "squeeze me" jar (same design) so you can dribble it easily onto your bread.

This also makes it light enough so you can always cram a few extra jars into your overweight luggage. Only in the UK though, unless somebody has found some over here.

I've seen Vegemite in a pregnant toothpaste looking tube, sold in Best Food. I've also seen toothpaste sold the same way, same same I guess.

You can now buy Marmite in a plastic "squeeze me" jar (same design) so you can dribble it easily onto your bread.

This also makes it light enough so you can always cram a few extra jars into your overweight luggage. Only in the UK though, unless somebody has found some over here.

I've seen Vegemite in a pregnant toothpaste looking tube, sold in Best Food. I've also seen toothpaste sold the same way, same same I guess.

nope they add stuff to make it squeezy, its make it taste different, same effect on marmite in the tube

Worked with the Swedes for many years - everything came in toothpaste tubes - cheese, shrimp spread, salmon spread, a dozen different tubes in the fridge at any one time.

Never could find the alcohol packaged that way though. Bottle wrapped in tinfoil and put in the freezer for forty days (and nights). The syrupy liquid that came out was definitely the nectar of the Gods.

Now I'm working with the Saudis and all I have in the fridge is Pepsi and water. Different life style - not even any marmite in the Commissary - and with a sandstorm blowing full force I am not driving 150km each way to buy a bottle. So it's bread 'n cheese tonight.