House Broken Into While Sleeping Police Say Sleeping Gas?

nuksoo1980

recently on friday night me and my girlfriend had our two bedroom bungalow broken into while we were sleeping they broke one of the bars on the second bedrooms window slipped inside and went through all our bags we had in that bedroom and brought in all the bags from the living room into the second bedroom and dumped everything out of those as well . passed up cameras, video cameras , passports , credit cards, ipod, checkbook,new stereo, only to take my ipod touch and about 400 baht from my girlfriends purse and some loose change pretty sure they didnt go into the room we were sleeping in because we had two laptops in there my wallet and my iphone right next to me . but the question i want to ask is the police said they probaly put some kind of gas or powder in the air conditioner to make us stay asleep that is the reason why we did not hear anything . do any of you have any knowledge of this method or is it just a thai myth? i personaly dont think criminals are sophisticated enough to use that method without killing someone from an overdose or allergic reaction but when my girlfriend went to work yesterday 3 of thai ladies said it is true and it happened to them . i just think people use that excuse because they dont want to belive they slept through it . you guys have any opinions on this sleeping gas method .

also we were not drinking at night and we dont do any drugs

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably did put something in the aircon system. Either way burglars don't seem to care if people are in the house or not.

So many robberies in Samui it's not even worthy of conversation anymore and i've never heard of a burglar being caught or the law even trying to catch them for that matter. :(

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

As far as i can see this theory of putting something in the A/C is not possible ...unless the intruders were already inside the home, and they too would be affected, unless they had beathing gear [ very improbable for a simple break and enter job IMO

Sorry to read about that. Must have been awful to wake up to.

But, google something like "burglary nitrous oxide france eastern european gangs" and you will see where it may be coming from.

Unpleasant to learn that either the gangs or their method might have found their way here.

For what it's worth, it may be useful to print off the google info for the police, esp if you have English-reading tourist police in attendance.

Did you feel groggy or drugged when you woke up? If not then I don't think you were drugged as suggested by the BIB's.

Even if they did feel groggy when they woke up

How do you put something into the A/C from outside the home?

You can not :jap: ..

Did you feel groggy or drugged when you woke up? If not then I don't think you were drugged as suggested by the BIB's.

no felt normal when i woke up the only odd part was my girlfriend is a light sleeper wakes up and then proceeds to wake me up at the slightest sound even a empty water bottle falling over . and when i got out of bed and opened the door she did not move and on saturday she is usually up early talking to her mom on skype

An AC unit outside a house is a sealed unit. You cannot put anything into it which could possibly enter the room the inside unit is in. It is simply a heat exchanger. Sorry for your loss but would look elsewhere for the cause of you not hearing the burglary.

Unfortunately not new; burglaries with this MO have been happening occasionally in the Kata/Chalong/Nai Harn/Rawai areas to my knowledge since 2002.

Always cash, small valuable items, watches, camera, etc missing; occupants always sleep through the whole burglary - I am certain it's the same team every time.

I have heard of at least three cases, one involved a friend of mine who also had a large dog in the house at the time which did not wake up or bark; so it must have been some kind of disabling gas.

Yet another silly Thai myth a la 'they put something in my water and made me draw out all the money from my bank account' AND 'This Indian man just touched my arm and I gave him 500 baht:blink:

I had someone enter the room of a friend of mine whilst sleeping, and I don't have aircon. Thai burglars very light on their feet, same 'cat burglars' in the West. They prefer to enter occupied houses whilst people sleeping as they know they'll have all their jewelry, 'phones, laptops etc with them in the house.

Unfortunately not new; burglaries with this MO have been happening occasionally in the Kata/Chalong/Nai Harn/Rawai areas to my knowledge since 2002.

Always cash, small valuable items, watches, camera, etc missing; occupants always sleep through the whole burglary - I am certain it's the same team every time.

I have heard of at least three cases, one involved a friend of mine who also had a large dog in the house at the time which did not wake up or bark; so it must have been some kind of disabling gas.

it is impossible to put gas into home through the A/C

It has been explained by many...do you not read previous posts?

An AC unit outside a house is a sealed unit. You cannot put anything into it which could possibly enter the room the inside unit is in. It is simply a heat exchanger. Sorry for your loss but would look elsewhere for the cause of you not hearing the burglary

Air Conditioning units recycle the air in the room they do not draw air from outside.

So its not possible, they would have to be in the room with you wearing gas masks

Wow, if it were true...wouldn't 'the guns under the pillow'' crew be beside themselves.. :ph34r:

it is impossible to put gas into home through the A/C

It has been explained by many...do you not read previous posts?

An AC unit outside a house is a sealed unit. You cannot put anything into it which could possibly enter the room the inside unit is in. It is simply a heat exchanger. Sorry for your loss but would look elsewhere for the cause of you not hearing the burglary

Air Conditioning units recycle the air in the room they do not draw air from outside.

So its not possible, they would have to be in the room with you wearing gas masks

Wow, if it were true...wouldn't 'the guns under the pillow'' crew be beside themselves.. :ph34r:

With regards to my earlier post; I am personally not suggesting anything about the a/c systems (which btw often have a connection to the outside - small condensate water drainage pipe which is connected to a drip tray under the FCU heat exchanger)

Think about it, most houses have the odd window left open at night, particularly if there are burglar bars fitted and certainly very few properties are air tight, with gaps under the door, air ventilation bricks etc.

I am a sceptic by nature, plus it seems very 'hi tech' for Thailand, but you cannot rule out the use of a disabling gas in these thefts.

-edit for spelling-

Edited by digitalchromakey

yes big BS, to explain the unexplainable, yes they are very light footed and come during 02:00 to 04:00 when everyone is in the deep sleep phase, then everyone is like under anesthesia!

No "Gas" needed, much to high tech, in the early days it was some "magic herb" they supposed to have burned under the house...today they are mostly concrete/block houses and no more on stilts hence, through the air conditioner.... never over dosed?

I doubt this story very much..more likely that the people had a couple of drinks..and unsafe behavior, not closing the windows, forgot to bolt the doors...

In Bali they use/d bamboo poles and hooks... to lift the money belt or shoulder bag from the room.

Edited by Samuian

With regards to my earlier post; I am personally not suggesting anything about the a/c systems (which btw often have a connection to the outside - small condensate water drainage pipe which is connected to a drip tray under the FCU heat exchanger)

That's a great point about the water drain pipe. I too had thought that it was impossible to inject any gas into a home via the AC unit. But it might be possible via the drainage pipe.

That's a great point about the water drain pipe. I too had thought that it was impossible to inject any gas into a home via the AC unit. But it might be possible via the drainage pipe.

That surprises me from you LIK, I had though you too intelligent to feed this myth.

• Like 1

That surprises me from you LIK, I had though you too intelligent to feed this myth.

I agree it's not likely that the average burglar would have resources such as a pressure cannister of sleeping gas. I'm just commenting on the fact that it is technically possible to inject gas into a home via the AC drain pipe.

agree, absolutely impossible to make drugs spread from outside AC unit to inside AC unit.

However rather simple to make someone sleeping sleep more heavily with cloroform over nose.

a friend and his GF was burglared 2 years ago. they always get up 6-7 in the morning, but next morning they woke up 9ish. Burglars walked around the bed, emptied bags, stolen car keys, motocy, laptop, wallet, you name it.

Rottweiler to alert, Glock to elliminate. :D

I don't think the A/C water drain is connected to the inside of the room. It just drains water condensation from the compressor and the outside of the pipes leading from the compressor.

If the unit is a split type, the only thing connecting the two are electrical wires and a corrugated hose that cannot be accessed from outside.

As for gas, surely this would be difficult to get and very expensive. Kinda defeats the purpose if your costs are going to be greater than what you can rip-off.

I don't think the A/C water drain is connected to the inside of the room. It just drains water condensation from the compressor and the outside of the pipes leading from the compressor.

If the unit is a split type, the only thing connecting the two are electrical wires and a corrugated hose that cannot be accessed from outside.

As for gas, surely this would be difficult to get and very expensive. Kinda defeats the purpose if your costs are going to be greater than what you can rip-off.

The drain pipe goes from the indoor unit (evaporator) to somewhere outside, usually near the outdoor compressor. I often have to clear sludge from our AC's drain pipe and I just blow hard into this pipe and a 2nd person inside the room can hear the air coming out when the drain pipe is clear. So there is an airway connection from outside the home, into the room.

And I agree that some sort of pressurised sleeping gas is difficult to obtain, and most unlikely that this sort of technique is used by burglars.

The A/C water drainage pipe is connected to the inside. When it gets blocked up, water drips inside the room, instead of going out the drain pipe. I know as it has happened to me before. There is also the freon gas send and return pipes to the outside compressor, but they are sealed obviously...

But I still don't think thieves are using a compressed sleeping gas.

Sorry, I didn't see your post LIK. My GF just got home with groceries while I was writing.

Edited by Jimi007

Funny pick up line I heard years ago.

"excuse me miss, does this smell like chloroform to you" :cheesy:

Had our house broken into in before to, heard lots of the same stories but being realistic it's just not possible.

These sleeping agents are not easily accuired, most are very controlled substances. Most are so potent

that criminals not willing to comit murder are not inclinded to use them and then there is high cost of these fancy knock out agents.

Also if you where drugged this way you wouldn't just sleep a couple extra hrs and wake up, you would awake feeling like someone smashed you

in the head with a hammer.

Simple truth is the thieves are professional and very good at sneaking into places with out being heard, they have lots of time to watch your routines and

find your weak points and their oppurtunities. Most likely they only come with a screw diver and a scooter, watch and wait.

People being drugged and robbed using rohypnol is alot more comon and definatly not a myth. in other areas this is a drug that is easily obtained and can be addministered anywhere into anything.

While thinking slightly more about this there is a compressed gas that is cheap and could be used. Starting fluid. Starting fluid is a mixture of volatile hydrocarbons (heptane, butane or propane), diethyl ether, and carbon dioxide(as a propellant). It is often useful when starting direct injected diesel engines. It contains ether...

While thinking slightly more about this there is a compressed gas that is cheap and could be used. Starting fluid. Starting fluid is a mixture of volatile hydrocarbons (heptane, butane or propane), diethyl ether, and carbon dioxide(as a propellant). It is often useful when starting direct injected diesel engines. It contains ether...

yes ether would posibly work, Ammonia liquid also will knock you down. We used ether in the past where I worked during winter.

Problem with either is you would need a very large amount and the smell left behind would be enough to cause you to move out of your house.

Edited by KTD

There have been reports in the UK press of British holiday makers being burgled in France. Apparently the thieves squirt a gas through the letter box during the night bow that knocks everyone out for a few hours. The thieves duly enter the premises and burgle the premises at their leisure. The victims wake up a few hours later feeling groggy less all their valuables which have been taken.

Edited by yogi100

yes ether would posibly work, Ammonia liquid also will knock you down. We used ether in the past where I worked during winter.

Problem with either is you would need a very large amount and the smell left behind would be enough to cause you to move out of your house.

You're right that stuff does stink. I haven't used it in years and I can't recall seeing it here...

Reading this subject the Moscow theatre hostage crisis in October 2002 comes to my mind. The Russian forces ended the siege by pumping an unknown chemical agent in the buildings ventilation system.

So fact is, there is some sort of gas that can knock you out in short time. But as the end of this hostage crisis showed, a. it is still not known which gas it was (Fentanyl?) - much to sophisticated for local burglars - and b. it killed many of the hostages. So much too dangerous even for the burglars.

This was one of the first myths I heard when I came to Thailand.

Thinking it through, so these burglars have a source to obtain some sort of 'sleeping gas' but are robbing properties that are not exactly in the millionaire range.... they are taking phones, cameras and the cash they can find.....

I pointed out how ludicrous this was, but was not believed :unsure:.

Edit - millionaire in sterling range, not baht!

Edited by F1fanatic