Got A 1 Year Extension To Non-Imm 'O' For Retirement In Hua Hin

Not a lot of reports here about how the Hua Hin immigration office works. Maybe this will be useful.

With 5 weeks left on my non-imm type 'O' (for the purpose of retirement) visa I asked the HH office about their requirements for the 1 year extension. Their handout had no surprises:

* TM.7 form

* Copy of passport

* 2 4x6 cm photos

* Currently holding a non-imm visa

* 50 years +

* Proof of financial statment or pension (description lifted from the Immigration department's national website).

Also told to bring a letter showing the current account balance and a income afidavit letter from the US Embassy that was newer than the one I had, which was over 2 months old. I asked 'how new' and was told that I could go to the embassy on Monday and then come to immigration on Tuesday.

I would be using the combination of income and thai bank savings account. They told me the money had to be in the account for at least two months. <deleted>? I mentioned that my money wasn't two months old yet. The official said a 4000 baht payment would solve that problem.

Returned to the immigration office after the savings account funds were 2 months old. Wore long pants & shoes, even combed my hair. My bank letter was one day old, income letter was two days old. Brought some other stuff, anticipating they would ask for it. Glad I brought them because they asked to see:

* apartment lease

* bank account passbook and copy of all non-blank pages

Received the one year extension without a problem.

Finally, because I'm in a rare pedantic mood, isn't it more accurate to say the visa's expiration date was extended to one year from it's date of first use? In other words, an extension to one year, not a one year extension? Or that the time in which I'm permitted to stay in the Kingdom has been extended by nine months? ;-)

Finally, because I'm in a rare pedantic mood, isn't it more accurate to say the visa's expiration date was extended to one year from it's date of first use?

Your visa expiration date was not extended. You received an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand based on retirement. If you should travel outside Thailand now, you will need a re-entry permit to go along with your extension of stay since you no longer have a valid visa for entry into Thailand..

Edited by InterestedObserver

There's a bunch of stuff that's "off" in the OPs report regarding how the Hua Hin office handled his app....

There should be no seasoning requirement for the funds, when a mixture of monthly income and bank deposits are used to satisfy the income requirement....

4000 baht to solve the problem???

And I don't believe asking for an apartment lease is the norm, either, though it's not unheard of... It's certainly not in their official rules or policy.

Last year, on the advice of an expert, I brought along a Google map of my house with the street address included. That seemed to suffice. Was never asked for an apartment lease or utility bill or such... Though as I said, I have heard of those requests being made in some instances.

Though as I'm beginning to be convinced, it's probably a good approach to bring along anything you think they could conceivably ask for.... just to cover the unexpected...and to avoid the pain of having to make another trip down to Chaeng Wattana, certainly for those of us in BKK...

In the end, it doesn't entirely matter what the official rules and policy say. But it matters a lot what the immigration officer you happen to draw that day has in their mind... :whistling:

Nice report...however, I never understand why any American would bother with the pension-bank balance combination route, with it's "seasoning" hassles. Just put the minimum required monthly income/pension amount on the embassy declaration (currently around $2200...but I always add a few hundred in case of any currency changes before I present it to immigration) and be done with it! Easy-peasy.

Note to Jomtien filers: only 1 photo required.

Edited by FarangBuddha

The date of the extension should have started from the end of your current permitted to stay date - not nine months but 12 months. Are you saying they only provided one year from date of entry into Thailand?

Interesting! My first extension of stay based on marriage many years ago following the end of my 3 months visa was for 9 months , so my renewal date has always been the anniversary of my arrival date here!

The date of the extension should have started from the end of your current permitted to stay date - not nine months but 12 months. Are you saying they only provided one year from date of entry into Thailand?

I always understood that the first extension was one year from your most recent entry into Thailand (well that was the case for my first extension 5 or so years ago). Thereafter you are given one year from the expiry of that extension.

Nice report...however, I never understand why any American would bother with the pension-bank balance combination route, with it's "seasoning" hassles. Just put the minimum required monthly income/pension amount on the embassy declaration (currently around $2200...but I always add a few hundred in case of any currency changes before I present it to immigration) and be done with it! Easy-peasy.

Note to Jomtien filers: only 1 photo required.

Here's why. They may not HAVE the income to report and don't wish to tell a criminal lie to both their embassy AND Thai immigration.

Next ...

...and what you enter on the Embassy document is a legal document and subject to verification if requested.

Yeah yeah yeah...blah blah blah...never been requested in over 10 years of extensions...so I'm not sweating it :ph34r:

And one is just swearing on information and belief that what's stated in the declaration is true and correct to the best of one's knowledge...and one's information and knowledge can always be faulty or incomplete.

Edited by FarangBuddha

...and what you enter on the Embassy document is a legal document and subject to verification if requested.

Yeah yeah yeah...blah blah blah...never been requested in over 10 years of extensions...so I'm not sweating it :ph34r:

And one is just swearing on information and belief that what's stated in the declaration is true and correct to the best of one's knowledge...and one's information and knowledge can always be faulty or incomplete.

Sure it you were off 5 percent because of the exchange rate differential, that wouldn't be serious, but totally fabricating a pension that doesn't exist, that's taking a big risk, whether they have asked you yet, or not.

Finally, because I'm in a rare pedantic mood, isn't it more accurate to say the visa's expiration date was extended to one year from it's date of first use?

D'oh!  These days I can't decide if I need new glasses, a new brain or both.  My permission to stay has been extended 1 year from the date the visa expires.    Sorry for the confusion - mine and yours.

D'oh! These days I can't decide if I need new glasses, a new brain or both. My permission to stay has been extended 1 year from the date the visa expires. Sorry for the confusion - mine and yours.

Are you sure? It should have been extended for 1 year from the date your current permission to stay expires, which seldom coincides with the visa expiration date.

A close friend of mine (British and Thai spouse) applied to extend his stay at Hua Hin a few months ago.

He applied to extend using the seasoned funds in the bank route - 800,000 Baht for 3 months.

He applied a few days before the full 90 day seasoning, as he was leaving the country for some months before the full seasoning time had elapsed. His simple miscalculation on the date for bringing the funds into Thailand.

This was quickly picked up by the (female) officer, who, upon learning he was due to leave Thailand in a few days 'helpfully' said he could pay a 4,000 Baht 'fine' (her word)to rectify this problem. He paid.

Having paid the un-receipted 'fine' and money for the officially receipted extension of stay and re-entry permit, he was on his way.

As he was leaving the building, the same officer left her desk and approached him outside the building. She asked if he would like to buy two tickets for her birthday bash at a Hua Hin hotel. He obligingly bought @ 400 Baht each, although he did not attend this birthday girl's do.

Seems 4,000 Baht goes a long way to overcoming obstacles in Hua Hin, both those of the applicants making (as in the case of my friend) and those of the officer's making (as in the case of the OP).

Wonder if it's the same officer, and how many other 4,000 Baht fines have been taken there?

Before I first set foot in the HH immigration office, I checked one of the local expat forums.  I learned that one official handles all retirement related business.  She often finds reason to ask for what I call "informal fees".

Several posters pointed out there should not be a seasoning requirement when using the combined income & bank balance method.  Well, duh!  If my process had gone completely by the book I would have seen no need to make a report.