The Most People You'Ve Ridden With On A Motorbike ?

bermondburi

I was just thinking about what other experiences other people may have. For myself one of my funniest memories would have to be driving back from Carrefour in Bang Yai to Bang Bua Thong in Nonthaburi with five on my 100cc wave. Me driving, my oldest son between my legs on the seat fitted to the steering column, mother in law at the back and my wife in the middle with our youngest son. All the shopping was either in the basket or hanging off the wing mirrors ( probably three bags a mirror). Oh, and my wife was actually breast feeding as we were going along. It was dark though. One of the reasons I like Thailand is that you can do this kind of stuff and it can actually feel pretty normal as well. Any one else got some good stories?

• Like 1

For myself one of my funniest memories would have to be driving back from Carrefour in Bang Yai to Bang Bua Thong in Nonthaburi with five on my 100cc wave.

One of the reasons I like Thailand is that you can do this kind of stuff and it can actually feel pretty normal as well.

Glad you mentioned being married, otherwise i'd think you're 12 years old. Endangering family members' and other motorists lifes; .....fond memories and great fun indeed.

I'm impressed. I've only been three-up. I've seen dogs riding pillion too. I far prefer the charm of the Thai streets, people riding side-saddle and with umbrella's etc. than the "IQ" of those who come from nanny states.

I've seen 6 a few times in Udon. Once on a 110cc Honda, a small child tucked up front holding onto the handlebars. Followed by the father. Followed by a young daughter probably 6 or 7. Followed by the mother who had a small child in each hand. I call it the "Dodge Caravan" of Thailand.

That's interesting. I've occasionally seen people like you but never had the opportunity to talk to them. I always wondered how long it takes to reach you state of mind? Did you have an illness or surgery beforehand, or is it just a matter of time and circumstance?

I only ride a pushbike now as I've had wife ..kid.. wife's family (brothers aunts parents etc) village idiot .. buffaloes,..soi dogs.......The lot!!!!! riding on my shoulders for years...Got so good at it , don't even need the bike now !! Lao Khao as National Drink??? Certainly makes you a better rider/driver......:blink:

For myself one of my funniest memories would have to be driving back from Carrefour in Bang Yai to Bang Bua Thong in Nonthaburi with five on my 100cc wave.

One of the reasons I like Thailand is that you can do this kind of stuff and it can actually feel pretty normal as well.

Glad you mentioned being married, otherwise i'd think you're 12 years old. Endangering family members' and other motorists lifes; .....fond memories and great fun indeed.

Looking at your comment and your avatar I think you take yourself a bit too seriously. Like I said in my original post I was interested to hear of other stories that people might have. Not the usual you're so stupid, irresponsible etc. I expect you have never ever gone over the speed limit in Thailand and no matter what, ALWAYS drive with a helmet on.

I'm impressed. I've only been three-up. I've seen dogs riding pillion too. I far prefer the charm of the Thai streets, people riding side-saddle and with umbrella's etc. than the "IQ" of those who come from nanny states.

At last, someone who gets it. I only weigh 70kg and my wife and MIL are probably only 100kg combined. Plus the kids at the time it was probably around 200kg which isn't that heavy. No different to two big guys on a bike. Just have to brake early and go wide around corners. I think some people get too worked up about stuff like this.

I've seen 6 a few times in Udon. Once on a 110cc Honda, a small child tucked up front holding onto the handlebars. Followed by the father. Followed by a young daughter probably 6 or 7. Followed by the mother who had a small child in each hand. I call it the "Dodge Caravan" of Thailand.

Wow, six. That's good going, Now you've said this ,that has raised the bar for me. I wonder if I can get my nephew in the basket on top of the shopping?

That's interesting. I've occasionally seen people like you but never had the opportunity to talk to them. I always wondered how long it takes to reach you state of mind? Did you have an illness or surgery beforehand, or is it just a matter of time and circumstance?

Victor Meldrew . Says it all really.

Feel free to stop me and have a chat anytime.

I did have an illness beforehand. It was living in England but fortunately my circumstances changed to enable me to spend my time in Thailand where I am now much happier that I don't spend my time living next door to people like you.

I did have an illness beforehand. It was living in England but fortunately my circumstances changed to enable me to spend my time in Thailand where I am now much happier that I don't spend my time living next door to people like you.

It would seem you've found your station in life. Good luck.

At last, someone who gets it. I only weigh 70kg and my wife and MIL are probably only 100kg combined. Plus the kids at the time it was probably around 200kg which isn't that heavy. No different to two big guys on a bike. Just have to brake early and go wide around corners. I think some people get too worked up about stuff like this.

Sure.. ah just accept it your an idiot. Most rational people wont do it. Its not the same as 2 big guys on a bike as the weight displacement can be much different also your putting kids in danger. But as you gave such nice comments on other people it made me even think worse of you. Normally i don't really care but your stupid remarks did it.

Sure it has it charm what they do here but its stupid and born out of necessity. That is different from someone who should know better but still does it. That is just idiotic.

Its even more scary that you live quite close to me. Normal people look back at stunts like this and realize that its not the smartest thing they ever do and don't see it as a badge of honor like you seem to do.

Edited by robblok

Wow, six. That's good going, Now you've said this ,that has raised the bar for me. I wonder if I can get my nephew in the basket on top of the shopping?

Have you ever seen a childs brain hanging out of it's skull. Having worked in an Emergency Room for 6 years a long time ago. I am qualified to say that to do as you did on the motor bike. You must be a bit of an idiot.

Have you ever seen a childs brain hanging out of it's skull. Having worked in an Emergency Room for 6 years a long time ago. I am qualified to say that to do as you did on the motor bike. You must be a bit of an idiot.

Man .. you really need to get a grip..... Are you the guy i see on Sukhumvit telling passing motorists not to use their mobiles and bikers to wear their helmets.. or they will all die a sticky death... Having not worked in an ER room for 6 years i am qualified to say childs brains also fall out for other reasons... especially in Thailand.

It would seem you've found your station in life. Good luck.

Cheers mate. I'm obviously in good company. I don't know what it is and I mean this in a nice way but when I read your posts I cannot help but have the voice of Victor Meldrew in my head reading them. Did you mean this to happen when you chose your avatar or is it unintended and only me. Quite funny really. You really should change that avatar , or not if you prefer.

Sure.. ah just accept it your an idiot. Most rational people wont do it. Its not the same as 2 big guys on a bike as the weight displacement can be much different also your putting kids in danger. But as you gave such nice comments on other people it made me even think worse of you. Normally i don't really care but your stupid remarks did it.

Sure it has it charm what they do here but its stupid and born out of necessity. That is different from someone who should know better but still does it. That is just idiotic.

Its even more scary that you live quite close to me. Normal people look back at stunts like this and realize that its not the smartest thing they ever do and don't see it as a badge of honor like you seem to do.

Maybe I am an idiot but at least I'm a happy idiot and judging by some of the disparaging comments people make about Thai people on this forum ( not even mentioning Thai driving standards ! ) I am obviously in the right country whereas you sir seem to have misplaced yourself. The fact is that you aren't in the West or wherever it is that you come from and things are different here. You mention that you find it scary that we live near each other, but if you find this scary then surely you would never go on the road or be driving in a perpetual state of fear as things like this are a total everyday occurrence. Do you never get on a train because they leave the doors open? Have you never hung off the back of a songtaew ? Been on the back of a pickup with twelve other people? The fact is that this is the way things are here and I for one much prefer this. As for children on a motorbike, if you were tell a Thai it was dangerous everytime you saw it you would be very busy. Relax a little and let me worry about my children and maybe if you don't want to answer my original question ( Does anybody have any funny stories ? ) then don't bother preaching to me !:burp:

Man .. you really need to get a grip..... Are you the guy i see on Sukhumvit telling passing motorists not to use their mobiles and bikers to wear their helmets.. or they will all die a sticky death... Having not worked in an ER room for 6 years i am qualified to say childs brains also fall out for other reasons... especially in Thailand.

A voice of sanity in crazy world !!! Thankyou bootly66

Have you ever broken the speed limit in Thailand or driven without a helmet or had a couple of beers and then gone somewhere ? I like doing all these things so I'm obviously in the right place. I expect I'm now a massive idiot in your eyes just like most of Thailand, but as I said in another post at least I'm happy here.

Fascinating - It seems there are two types of expat here.

1. The enthusiastic ones who respect the Thais, their freedom, their sense of fun and - yes the dangers of their way of life and take the opportunity to indulge in it.

2. The disapproving ones with a neo-colonial contempt for the Thais, implying that they have a lower intelligence quota and would prefer a sterile life-style barricaded by a desire for safety and security above all else - if only they had the chance.

In other words those who have a life and those who may not have one but do have life assurance.

Maybe I am an idiot but at least I'm a happy idiot and judging by some of the disparaging comments people make about Thai people on this forum ( not even mentioning Thai driving standards ! ) I am obviously in the right country whereas you sir seem to have misplaced yourself. The fact is that you aren't in the West or wherever it is that you come from and things are different here. You mention that you find it scary that we live near each other, but if you find this scary then surely you would never go on the road or be driving in a perpetual state of fear as things like this are a total everyday occurrence. Do you never get on a train because they leave the doors open? Have you never hung off the back of a songtaew ? Been on the back of a pickup with twelve other people? The fact is that this is the way things are here and I for one much prefer this. As for children on a motorbike, if you were tell a Thai it was dangerous everytime you saw it you would be very busy. Relax a little and let me worry about my children and maybe if you don't want to answer my original question ( Does anybody have any funny stories ? ) then don't bother preaching to me !:burp:

I´m in the right country and your still an idiot, thank god you only drive a motorcycle and you cant do too much damage with that. Would find it even scarier if you were copying Thais by driving drunk in a big pickup. The thing is things change people evolve, in the end things will change here too.

I relax enough seems you left your brain at home (if you ever had one). Copying stupid things does not make them safe or normal. You should know better. I could care less if you splash yourself against some solid object on your bike. But i would pity your children if they were to die because of your stupidity.

I know i cant persuade you to use your brain but it feels good and makes me relax to type this so I am doing what you said. Relaxing.

As for telling Thais what to do its their country and they often have no other choice (little money) so i don´t really blame them. But you should have more means or stay at home and be a pauper there.

I have driven my bike enough even had some accident on it. I think Thai traffic is dangerous but that is just the way it is and so far i have been lucky and competent enough to drive a bike and a car here.

If you saw someone dive into a river filled with crocodiles would you copy him.. or would you use your brain and think that it might not be a good idea.... same applies to some of the things Thais do. Thing is often they do it out of necessity.

Fascinating - It seems there are two types of expat here.

1. The enthusiastic ones who respect the Thais, their freedom, their sense of fun and - yes the dangers of their way of life and take the opportunity to indulge in it.

2. The disapproving ones with a neo-colonial contempt for the Thais, implying that they have a lower intelligence quota and would prefer a sterile life-style barricaded by a desire for safety and security above all else - if only they had the chance.

In other words those who have a life and those who may not have one but do have life assurance.

I think things could change here.. but i don't disprove of the Thais doing stupid things out of lack of means. You cant expect poor people to uphold the same safety standards when there is no money for it. I do however think that foreigners who know better should not copy stupid things.

I have a fine life here.. enjoy it a lot and i don't have life insurance. So find an other group to put me in.

Have you ever broken the speed limit in Thailand or driven without a helmet or had a couple of beers and then gone somewhere ? I like doing all these things so I'm obviously in the right place. I expect I'm now a massive idiot in your eyes just like most of Thailand, but as I said in another post at least I'm happy here.

Breaking the speed limit... depends on how you do it if on an near empty road be my guest.. if endangering others... then your an idiot.

No helmet.. its your life i could care less

Drinking and driving.. i would say total idiot if in a car on a bike also an idiot but less dangerous and more liable to kill yourself then an other.

Be careful not to get nominated for the Darwin awards. You seem well on your way.