Getting Busier!

womble

I was in Patong a couple of days ago, and once again it seemed that Phuket was starting to get back to it's old self. I had lunch in patong, and saw many couples, and younger people walking around, once again mainly westerners, but I did see a few Japanese too.

I have high hopes for the coming Season starting November, and it's great to see the western tourists realising that Phuket is once again a place to consider for their holidays.

Lets hope the Asians start returning again soon. The lack of flights now is the problem, so if Thai air can arrange flights at decent rates from Asian cities, i'm sure if it's linked in with great value hotel deals, they'll have reason to return, flying via Bangkok is a hassle when so many other destinations they can fly in direct.

Catch 22, no flights, no tourists, no tourists no flights. It's time for Thai Air to run a few flights, and see if the market is there, i'm sure it is!

Living and working since 4 years here in Phuket. Never saw it like this, just horrible.

My employer(like many others) has to cut salaries to survive, gasoline and all other products are getting more and more expensive.

Many people think and hope at the beginning "high season" everything gets back to normal, but I don't think so, sorry.

Phuket will have a 2-4 years struggle to finding it self back in business. Samui and Pattaya will be full this year.

Gerd

Phuket is definately getting busier  :o

Patong Beach was very busy yesterday as was the airport the day before.

My friends hotel has 50% occupancy - great for the low season!

I heard the laguna's were quite busy, I think they've been offering good deals, and used decent marketing abroad to woo visitors, even if they arn't making $, at least they are staying open fully and not laying off staff.

I'm sure a few more could break even if they dropped their prices a little more, and spent more on overseas marketing.

Living and working since 4 years here in Phuket. Never saw it like this, just horrible.

My employer(like many others) has to cut salaries to survive, gasoline and all other products are getting more and more expensive.

Many people think and hope at the beginning "high season" everything gets back to normal, but I don't think so, sorry.

Phuket will have a 2-4 years struggle to finding it self back in business. Samui and Pattaya will be full this year.

Gerd

Me thinks someone is a bit pi*sed off in his job !! Hey, dont blame Phuket, find a new job I say ! :o

Its still incredibly quiet in my opinion, though you are right, things seem to be improving a little. Is is especially visible in Patong, though Kamala and Karon are empty, and Kata is still incredibly quiet.

My guesthouse achieved 40% occupancy last month, though this was mainly due to long stay guests.

Lets see what happens this month!!!

Keep the end up!

W

Gerd

Me thinks someone is a bit pi*sed off in his job !! Hey, dont blame Phuket, find a new job I say ! :o

Sorry I'm not ! But thanks for for your advice Mr. Taxin.

Its still incredibly quiet in my opinion, though you are right, things seem to be improving a little. Is is especially visible in Patong, though Kamala and Karon are empty, and Kata is still incredibly quiet.

My guesthouse achieved 40% occupancy last month, though this was mainly due to long stay guests.

Lets see what happens this month!!!

Keep the  end up!

W

I was on the beach today in Patong, it looked pretty busy, I didnt see an empty chair actually. Patong is doing ok for a low season - but definately slightly down on previous years.

Other areas like Kata and Karon are always "dull" this time of year, but this year it does look a lot slower.

I agree with you EVO, its quieter in Phuket, but it is getting back to normal.

Its a great time of year to come to Phuket, very green and lush, less people on the beach, cheaper prices on hotels etc etc..... :D:D

=

Tornados Travel Tips :o

My books show that it the quietest in five years. Everyone's complaining, and yet they are opening up more bars, guesthouses, etc. I suppose someone will buy them and go broke.....

Sounds of Patong Bob sobbing into his beer........

There seems to be quite a few 'quality' tourists coming to Phuket and the South. My company is having a banner low season. We cater to high-end nature loving tourists.

My fear is that the problem in the deep south, combined with media misinformation, will make the upcoming high season less than stellar. I hope I'm wrong.

There seems to be quite a few 'quality' tourists coming to Phuket and the South.  My company is having a banner low season.  We cater to high-end nature loving tourists.

My fear is that the problem in the deep south, combined with media misinformation, will make the upcoming high season less than stellar.  I hope I'm wrong.

Misinformation in the media is an overall problem which we are going to attack in the coming 2 months for the european market by articles in different magazins which sing the positive tune. Any input is welcome, hotels, restaurants tourcompanies can PM me and I'll try to get in touch with you to see what you can do to get into the news.

Will be in Phuket from july 26th till august 14th and even though the schedule is quit full, there is some space for interviews and photo's. Especially the Phi Phi Area and other sun-snorkel-dive tours are not covered yet

:D

Phuket is now the destination for Sex Tourist's only. Family's are going to other destinations and rightly so, its all very well the ex pats trying to beef up the tourist numbers for their own gain but earthquakes are earthquakes.

These events will always hapen, would you take your children to a disaster zone?????????

:D:o:D

Phuket is now the destination for Sex Tourist's only.  Family's are going to other destinations and rightly so, its all very well the ex pats trying to beef up the tourist numbers for their own gain but earthquakes are earthquakes. 

These events will always hapen, would you take your children to a disaster zone?????????

:D  :D  :D

What utter bo**ocks :D You certainly are a lost soul are'nt you.

Its bad enough when you come out with daft comments like this-

"Phuket is now the destination for Sex Tourist's only."

But followed by this one-

"but earthquakes are earthquakes.

These events will always hapen, would you take your children to a disaster zone?????????"

:o

Phuket is now the destination for Sex Tourist's only.  Family's are going to other destinations and rightly so, its all very well the ex pats trying to beef up the tourist numbers for their own gain but earthquakes are earthquakes. 

So don't take them to Japan, China, USA, Canada, South America, the Mid-East because earthquakes and tsunamis happen there, or maybe heatwaves in Europe, North America, or Africa. They may be eaten by sharks or crocs in Aus, or lost in a scandanavian blizzard.

Phuket is fine for families, just don't take your kids into gogo bars.

This reminds me of a 70s disaster movie. There's always one loud, uninformed panicky guy in the crowd. Fortunately the shark/snake/godzilla usually gets him first. :o

cv

congratulations, you have won the daily - boy - <deleted> award! :D

congratulations, you have won the daily - boy - <deleted> award! :D

:D :D :D

Yeah, unfortunately it has developed into one of the main Lonely Planet Stops on the centro america circuit.

Sold as a "market" town, their market in Chichi attracts thousand of tourists a month.

guest houses and internet galore, for the happy LP-er.

Our market in nearby Solola is far better though.

Can't think of many places here that do NOT have internet.

Maybe send him to the Dominican Republic, or Puerto Rico or somthing.

Yeah, unfortunately it has developed into one of the main Lonely Planet Stops on the centro america circuit.

Sold as a "market" town, their market in Chichi attracts thousand of tourists a month.

BLAME LONELY PLANET!!!! Is that another great TV Forum thread???? :o

BLAME LONELY PLANET!!!! Is that another great TV Forum thread???? :o

PS.. Will PM you when I look like heading over that way... which looks more likely as the months wear on cos I've always wanted to re-indulge my nth fave place on the planet... (nth cos we are on TV.... shhhhh)!

• 2 weeks later...

What utter bo**ocks :D You certainly are a lost soul are'nt you.

Its bad enough when you come out with daft comments like this-

"Phuket is now the destination for Sex Tourist's only."

But followed by this one-

"but earthquakes are earthquakes.

These events will always hapen, would you take your children to a disaster zone?????????"

You must have a business in Phuket, for that I am sorry but I stick by what I have said.

I have seen so many farang fall by the way side, most are here or working illegaly. I am fortunate that I have dual nationality (Norwegian and English). I have a condo in BKK and in Hua Hin. I have lived here for 15 years and I am still amazed by the antics of the farang.

Unfortunately the Thais judge us the same, they see the holiday farang drunk causing trouble and giving money to the Bar Girls (more than money) and laugh and laugh.

Quite embarrising really.

Back to the point of view, Phuket has had an Earthquake which caused a dissaster, this will happen again, maybe next week or year or decade but it will happen. I for one would not want to be in Phuket when it happens, would you?

:o:D:D

Wake up - whole South East Asia is in an earthquake zone. Last I checked BKK isnt exactly a safe place to be when an earthquakes hits it. I'd move pronto if I were you.

As for Holiday drank farang causing trouble - most are rather peaceful and pleasant. It's the exception rather than the norm and lately its been scandanavians that been the problem. :o

Just returned from a long weekend in Phuket.

Patong was about at 65% capacity of what it usually is this time of year.

(Only my gut estimate, could be wrong).

Karon & Kata was very quite, but again they usually are at this time.

Lot of construction vehicles on the road and I thought the traffic was heavy in the centre of the island.

Spoke to a few business owners about the situation, they where mostly upbeat, guess they have to be.

My own feeling is that Phuket will bounce back soon. Hope so, beautiful island.

Nai Harn beach was packed today (well packed for the low season anyway) ... lots of Euros splashing in the waves. My local sauna also was very busy... ditto for my favourite seaside cafe.

Just in case anyone was wondering what I do all day :o:D

I am fortunate that I have dual nationality (Norwegian and English).  I have a condo in BKK and in Hua Hin.  I have lived here for 15 years and I am still amazed by the antics of the farang.

Phuket has had an Earthquake which caused a dissaster, this will happen again, maybe next week or year or decade but it will happen.  I for one would not want to be in Phuket when it happens, would you?

:o  :D  :D

Why is your dual nationality fortunate when you refer to sex tourism or natural disasters? I don't follow, without being rude or facetious.

Having thought through your posts carefully and given them due consideration, I agree with the others - what a load of old fanny. Phuket is a great destination for families. I bring my children and grandson over without any problem. If you want to find the sex industry, it's not hard - but if you don't, it doesn't impose.

You can't cater for natural disasters. I was in Hong Kong during SARS, in LOS for the tsunami, bird flu and both earthquakes, left the Cayman Islands 2 days before Hurricane whatever-it-was-called-but-it-flattened-the-place arrived, and have just come back from Cuba and Mexico with another hurricane following me. I don't let it worry me (although my mates do ask for my next destinations before booking their own holidays). I was in London during the bombing as well.

Is it only acts of God that concern you? Where do you think is safe from maniacs, terrorists, accidents or disaster? How about drought? Come on, lighten up and enjoy life.