Peaceblondie Going To Hospital

Ijustwannateach

I always ride away from the edge of the road and try to avoid them if I can, but if it's inevitable I'll hit one then I'll go straight at it, with no malice intended I might add. Caught a dog a couple of months ago on the way to Pai. Saw him and flinched (no time for big directional changes) but stayed at him and luckily just caught his back end and bent me toe right back. My friend following behind says he span around like a top hat.

Take care PB

maybe I'll get flamed for this, but where I come from it is a well known saying.."never stop for a dog"

hope you get on the mend really quick mate. :o

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get Well Soon PB.

I've hit four dogs and I don't swerve one iota. I keep to my track and lay off the brakes. At first it's a natural response to hit the anchors but as soon as I recognise that the danger isn't a child, I just pull in the clutch, keep a straight line if possible and ram them.

I've hit four dogs and I don't swerve one iota. I keep to my track and lay off the brakes. At first it's a natural response to hit the anchors but as soon as I recognise that the danger isn't a child, I just pull in the clutch, keep a straight line if possible and ram them.

Count me as one who has taken a spill avoiding a dog. I had a split second to decide whether to go straight at the dog and risk the bike flipping over, a scenario that had recently happened to another expat in Chiang Mai who ended up paralysed, or swerving and taking the calculated fall on the wet shoulder. With the recent accident in mind I took the swerve and fall and luckily suffered only minor injuries.

For those fellow motorcycle riders, what is the best tactic for plowing through the mutt to avoid flipping the bike end over end? Should one stay centered, or lean forward in hopes of slicing the mutt in half, or put the weight towards the back hoping the front wheel will ride up and over the mutt? Are there different strategies for bigger bikes as opposed to smaller bikes like the Honda Dream?

I hit one it just bounced off dead, my handlebars fluctuated for a split

second but i came in no danger off going down. I had the throttle about half open

in 4th gear of a CR250R. I didnt even see it - it was so fast. I locked them up

right after praying it wasnt a kid. I looked back sad, angry why the dog could be

so stupid, its like the thing tried to kill itself on purpose. It was a medium sized

dog, if a large dog i may have crashed. Dont see any large dogs here though.

They usually end up in a pot. When i got home I told my wife and she said

good thing you not stop, they see falang, falang have to pay money for dog.

I dont know if its good advice to hit them right in the middle. I think you would

have to go over him at that point and could crash. If you hit either end they

just ricochet off. I think i got this one right in neck/shoulder area.

I think if you have the front brake applied and hit one dead center your

going over the handlebars and would be SERIOUSLY f'ed up. So no front

brake, rear OK.

PB hope your OK soon

nam

Edited by Nam Kao

Get well soon, PB. I will miss your helpful comments on TV while you convalese. I had a minor motorbike accident in Thailand last trip. The hospital staff could not have been more helpful.

I know my Thai other half is a careful rider, but he has had two accidents on his motorcycle in 5 months. Just as well he wears a helmet. Best 300 baht investment I ever made for him.

Peter

I don't want to be a downer about the visa thing, but I had a bad motorcycle smash in February. 11 days in hospital. I was due to make a visa run two days after the accident.

When i was discharged, I had a letter from the doc explaining that I couldn't travel until a specific date in the future. On that date, I went to Soi Suan Plu, saw the imm doc who gave me a further month before I could travel.

Still had to pay 1,900 for a 14 day extension and 5,000 overstay.

Hope you manage to get around it PB.

BTW, we might just meet in HH. I've been here for 7 years. PM me when you're coming down and we'll arrange a few beers and meet some of the locals. Get well soon.

A

Count me as one who has taken a spill avoiding a dog. I had a split second to decide whether to go straight at the dog and risk the bike flipping over, a scenario that had recently happened to another expat in Chiang Mai who ended up paralysed, or swerving and taking the calculated fall on the wet shoulder. With the recent accident in mind I took the swerve and fall and luckily suffered only minor injuries.

For those fellow motorcycle riders, what is the best tactic for plowing through the mutt to avoid flipping the bike end over end? Should one stay centered, or lean forward in hopes of slicing the mutt in half, or put the weight towards the back hoping the front wheel will ride up and over the mutt? Are there different strategies for bigger bikes as opposed to smaller bikes like the Honda Dream?

A tip given to me many years ago by a top riding teacher in Oz was "Have your eyes and brain in the same gear as your bike"In other words, the faster you are going the further out in front you should be observing to give you that extra critical second or two to react. check these figures>

At 10kph you are covering 2.77 metres per second

" 50 " " " " " 13.88 " " "

" 90 " " " " " 25.00 " " "

So if you observe a dog ,or child on the road ahead slow down switch your brain to :Ready to React" mode until you are past the potential hazard and power on.

Stay Upright and keep your arse off the tarmac"

A

A tip given to me many years ago by a top riding teacher in Oz was "Have your eyes and brain in the same gear as your bike"In other words, the faster you are going the further out in front you should be observing to give you that extra critical second or two to react. check these figures>

So if you observe a dog ,or child on the road ahead slow down switch your brain to :Ready to React" mode until you are past the potential hazard and power on.

That goes without saying but many times they will dart out from the hedge. Any built up areas or anywhere kids are likely to be playing, you should be doing hardly any speed anyway. As for going through them, I'd keep the engine driving as opposed to dipping the clutch to give you more oomph and more chance of cutting them in half :o

A

That goes without saying but many times they will dart out from the hedge. Any built up areas or anywhere kids are likely to be playing, you should be doing hardly any speed anyway. As for going through them, I'd keep the engine driving as opposed to dipping the clutch to give you more oomph and more chance of cutting them in half :D

Ouch! :o

Tell Snoopy to stay out of the street.

As for going through them, I'd keep the engine driving as opposed to dipping the clutch to give you more oomph and more chance of cutting them in half :o

I'm not really sure if I'm doing the right thing by pulling in the clutch but it's something that I do instinctively. Whenever I see potential dangers like oil or diesel slicks, potholes, loose gravel, rocks or timber in the road etc, I tend to prefer coasting through hazardous situations with the clutch in. I don't like the idea of trying to control a bike under power if I should take a severe wobble or slide.

I'm not saying you're wrong Jack, I did read recently that a rider should actually accelerate at the last possible moment over obstacles to raise the front forks thereby giving more fork travel to absorb any shocks. Maybe different sized bikes need to use different methods. Being on a Harley I only feel a slight jolt running over a dog. I honestly don't know how I'd fare on a step-thru though.

This is what I love about motorcycling, one never really stops learning about riding. :D

If he is admitted to the hospital, he can request the hospital contact immigration and they will arrange an extension. Otherwise he needs to contact them with documentation from the hospital.

I once overstayed my visa by three days (the only time I ever did) due to being hospitalized. The immigration police at the border laughed at my medical certificate and made me pay the fine anyway.

Edited by Rumpole

Knowing PB personally, I know he's a really diligent and experienced rider - and his accident gets me concerned about my own riding future in and around Chiang Mai. If I didn't know it before, his encounter with the dog shows that it can happen to the best riders.

Get mended real soon, PB - and I hope that Hua Hin will be a great place to convalesce in the short term and everything you want in the long term.

[and thanks to 'Steven' for posting the info)

Anymore info IJWT? Keep us informed.

Just called PB and he's sounding good - after he managed to convince the Thai doctors that he needs a tad more painkilling than the average relatively lightweight Thai (PB is built - let's say - "sturdy" :o ). He told me he's postponing his move to Hua Hin by a week just to let things settle down and will need a couple of months of general physio to get back to his usual 100%.

>>>So if you observe a dog ,or child on the road ahead slow down switch your brain to :Ready to React"

The dog that got me was just a blur out of the corner of my eye.

Another big scare i had was i took my 4 y/o look sow on a ride to the

wat, about a 15 minute ride. She was sitting behind me. Beautiful quiet

ride thru beautiful country. We stay for awhile and come home. Well

when i pull into my ban she was TOTALLY asleep!! She was still hanging

on to me but out cold. She could have slipped off. I still have nightmares

about this. Now i check her every few minutes or make her ride up front.

>>>So if you observe a dog ,or child on the road ahead slow down switch your brain to :Ready to React"

The dog that got me was just a blur out of the corner of my eye.

Another big scare i had was i took my 4 y/o look sow on a ride to the

wat, about a 15 minute ride. She was sitting behind me. Beautiful quiet

ride thru beautiful country. We stay for awhile and come home. Well

when i pull into my ban she was TOTALLY asleep!! She was still hanging

on to me but out cold. She could have slipped off. I still have nightmares

about this. Now i check her every few minutes or make her ride up front.

Next tie her to ya with bungie cords. :D

I have a 2yr I can only shudder to think how freaked out you must have been. :o

As for going through them, I'd keep the engine driving as opposed to dipping the clutch to give you more oomph and more chance of cutting them in half :o

I'm not really sure if I'm doing the right thing by pulling in the clutch but it's something that I do instinctively. Whenever I see potential dangers like oil or diesel slicks, potholes, loose gravel, rocks or timber in the road etc, I tend to prefer coasting through hazardous situations with the clutch in. I don't like the idea of trying to control a bike under power if I should take a severe wobble or slide.

I'm not saying you're wrong Jack, I did read recently that a rider should actually accelerate at the last possible moment over obstacles to raise the front forks thereby giving more fork travel to absorb any shocks. Maybe different sized bikes need to use different methods. Being on a Harley I only feel a slight jolt running over a dog. I honestly don't know how I'd fare on a step-thru though.

This is what I love about motorcycling, one never really stops learning about riding. :D

Are you taking the piss?

Get well soon PB.    Could have been worse.

Two words for the future:  Toyota Fortuner.    (or at the very least: Honda Jazz)

:o

Get well soon, I hope the recovery isn't too painful. Try and get some physiothreapy after you are out of the cast.

Its also such a shock to have the "quick trip to the pavement".

I have one word "Unimog" I bet you wish you were driving one of those at the time.

Update

PB actually didn't have a broken shoulder, but one so badly dislocated that he needed surgery to reset the ball into the socket (which he had the same day he checked in). He also had four bruised/fractured/broken (still uncertain which) ribs.

Last time I spoke to him he was in pretty good spirits, though still in a lot of pain- apparently the docs don't keep him as high as he'd like! :o As Steve said, he should be out and about again within the week, and most of his plans will still be ok. I'll let him know about the mixed reports on immigration's stance towards medical emergencies- can't say I'm that surprised by them.

I'm also letting him know of the great outpouring of sympathy and well-wishes from all these folks online!

"Steven"

I'll let him know about the mixed reports on immigration's stance towards medical emergencies- can't say I'm that surprised by them.

For the first several years I worked here I never even saw immigration. I would sign a "letter of proxy" authorizing the administrative agent at CMU to get the visa. May not be allowed anymore but you might ask.

As for going through them, I'd keep the engine driving as opposed to dipping the clutch to give you more oomph and more chance of cutting them in half :D

From Motor Cycle Safety Tips

Standing on the pegs can help you keep control of your cycle when riding over obstacles or rough surfaces. Keep your knees and elbows bent, look past the hazard in the direction you want to go and maintain a steady speed.

I guess a dog is a ruff surface. :o

Get well soon PB

Edited by TizMe