Conkers!

smokie36

I was reading an article on the poor conker crop in the UK this year due to the wet summer and wondered if they have been grown successfully in Thailand....maybe around Chaing Mai or north.....anyway here's a Thai alternative for those who haven't access to conkers....

http://blog.andy.silentflame.com/2006/11/chicken-gai-or-conkers.html

Enjoy!

:jap:

I used to play conkers when I was a kid. I learned the art of hardening the chestnuts in the oven prior to bashing them. It was a long time ago on a hill far away.

Not quite so long for me but fond memories....I guess you haven't seen kids playing 'Gai' then?....I just wondered if it was popular is all....:huh:

And maybe a few conker tales along the way....:D:whistling:

EDIT: I'm tring to break my run of closed topics here......surely....!!

Edited by smokie36

Health n safety banned them all, all children should be wrapped in cotton wool and dipped daily in disinfectant.................in the UK

I don't believe you. Surely all the conkers simply have to conform to EU sizes and weights. :rolleyes:

Anyway what about Thai conkers.....no one ever seen this?....5 Baht a game perhaps....:whistling:

I planted two horse chestnut trees in the North of Thailand, they did well for about five years and then died during the rainy season - So did the advacado trees I planted.

As indicated by the cause of fewer conkers this year, they don't like really wet weather.

I used to play conkers when I was a kid. I learned the art of hardening the chestnuts in the oven prior to bashing them. It was a long time ago on a hill far away.

You had to soak them for a couple of days in vinegar before you hardened them in the oven to get the best conkers.

'PattayaParent' timestamp='1283939426' post='3870137']

'IanForbes' timestamp='1283874479' post='3868493']

You had to soak them for a couple of days in vinegar before you hardened them in the oven to get the best conkers.

So you were that rotten caniving kid that blasted my twenty fiver to smitherines , And there was I so chuffed to be number one on the block , LOL .