Soi Buakow

flyingfox

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Approx. 6 years I was thinking about renting a property along Soi Buakow.

The property-agent was talking about plans from City Hall to develop Soi Buakow into a Second Walking Street.

6 years ago, especially the South end of Soi Buakow was really quiet.

What I dislike about Soi Buakow is the narrow-ness and indeed the lack of a proper side-walk.

Avoid it like the plague...same with soi 6...

Those areas are some of the ugliest stretches of ???? on the earth...

Both places are best visited under the influence.

When passing through sober I was unaware there were nature reserves in Pattaya, some of the ugliest wildebeest on the planet.

The Soi Buakhow area has really opened up over recent years. There are some good, and very reasonably, priced eating places and what was once a dull, boring environment, has now come to life. Hotels, together with modern rooms for accommodation, are springing up everywhere. Yes, it is sleazy in some sections but isn't that the overriding theme of Pattaya anyway?

I agree with the comments of other posters, the streets are too narrow, no footpaths and the motor cyclists ride too fast and too dangerously.

Third Road will be next to be transformed into something special.

Take away the whores and the punters, and what would you have?

A midden!!

Ah! the word "Midden" one of my fav words, that and stoor and bouffing or bouff for short!

I had to use the dictionary, but yes a very apt description. I never knew TV could be an education tool.

Take away the whores and the punters, and what would you have?

A midden!!

Ah! the word "Midden" one of my fav words, that and stoor and bouffing or bouff for short!

I had to use the dictionary, but yes a very apt description. I never knew TV could be an education tool.

Wi a name like RabC, fit exactly wiz ye using the dictionary for??, Rangers - aah yes the Banter!!

As I expected, lots of cheap and nasty comments from people who either don't live near Soi Buakow or who have never visited Pattaya.

There can be no argument about the sad lack of pedestrian paving or the insane and speeding traffic.

But the Soi is a very long Soi. And there is a mixture of cafes, cheap restaurants, friendly bars, banks, money changers, massage shops, apartment blocks and not forgetting the twice weekly market (TUES & FRI).

There is a very frequent baht bus service 24 hours per day and lots of very cheap eateries (30-40 baht) for Cheap Charlies like myself.

Personally I find it offensive and snobbish when otherwise long-standing members of this forum cite Soi Buakhow as QUOTE "Ugly" "A Midden" "Sleazy" etc. etc. I very much doubt if these harsh 'know-all's' visit regularly or have any grasp of the community spirit that IS Soi Buakhow.

I suspect that those people who criticize smugly, are the nouveau riche element who live on inherited wealth or the filthy lucre of organized crime.

I have to say to these critical posters, why comment? Does it make you feel good condemning a 2 km Soi just because it offends you?

As I expected, lots of cheap and nasty comments from people who either don't live near Soi Buakow or who have never visited Pattaya.

There can be no argument about the sad lack of pedestrian paving or the insane and speeding traffic.

But the Soi is a very long Soi. And there is a mixture of cafes, cheap restaurants, friendly bars, banks, money changers, massage shops, apartment blocks and not forgetting the twice weekly market (TUES & FRI).

There is a very frequent baht bus service 24 hours per day and lots of very cheap eateries (30-40 baht) for Cheap Charlies like myself.

Personally I find it offensive and snobbish when otherwise long-standing members of this forum cite Soi Buakhow as QUOTE "Ugly" "A Midden" "Sleazy" etc. etc. I very much doubt if these harsh 'know-all's' visit regularly or have any grasp of the community spirit that IS Soi Buakhow.

I suspect that those people who criticize smugly, are the nouveau riche element who live on inherited wealth or the filthy lucre of organized crime.

I have to say to these critical posters, why comment? Does it make you feel good condemning a 2 km Soi just because it offends you?

The reason we comment is because the OP asked for opinions. You are also perfectly correct I do not visit often, in fact I avoid if at all possible, but that is my choice. As I said in my original post, each to their own and Soi Buakow isn't my thing. The 40 baht meals only add to the reasons I do not go there, its not the food that I dislike its the balloon chasing tight fists that frequent the places.

I do work for a living and have inherited nothing.

Wow...wake up on the wrong side of the bed? As mentioned, the OP wanted opinions. He got them.

There's a reason we don't visit regularly. We don't like it. Which is fine! I love New York City, but my brother HATES it. To each his own....

To say we are living off organized crime is a bit below the belt. I worked EXTREMELY hard for my money...still don't have enough. But enough to live a good life here in Thailand...away from Soi Buakow and Soi 6. That's my decision and I am standing by it! :) Too many other nice places here in Thailand...

Good god Syd Barret, do you have shares in Soi Buakow or something - i am very familiar with that area, and have lived here for many years. Many of my friends have business' on Soi Buakow and they are not too complementry about the place either!!

Oh and by the way i did not inherit any wealth either!

And to your last sentance "why comment", that is what the OP asked us to do!

Chill oot Syd!

I too love Buakow. I lived at QD Suites near the southern end for about a year. I never liked the south end with the grimy market and the bikers. South Pats road needs a revamp.

The area around soi 19 and the central market is really fascinating. This is where the bulk of the girls live so it's really hopping day and night. I love the fact that it's mostly Thais doing their normal routine. I think living at R-Con hotel would be a trip. The people and shops down the first 4 streets parallel to Klang are worth a visit.

I also like the night market on Klang at the entrance of Buakow. Great value on groceries and in the soi 16 market, they make excellent fruit shakes and fried mussels. All the Thais know it.

Soi Diana corner (where you see Subway) revolts me. LK Metro is nauseating but my favorite Hole In The Wall restaurant is in that triangle so you might see me having a stroll there but that's the only reason. The behavior of many foreigners in this area concerns me.

Soi Lenkee off Buakow is really building up and becoming a force in its own right. Now with Jolly Friar and the wide street, I will see the area more often.

If it’s not for just crossing over the soi on my way somewhere else, I purposely only go to Soi Buakhow about ones every second month to get my hair cut.

As you can tell I don’t like the place very much, much due to same reasons as are mentioned above.

I purposely only go to Soi Buakhow about ones every second month to get my hair cut.

Thanks for reminding me of another reason to lub the place! 50 baht for a haircut!

Hard to beat, I know

I sometimes have lunch up there when I'm in Pattaya, and I would say many of the foreigners on the street, wherever they are from, look like they have just finished a long stretch inside. And I think it has got worse, not better in the past year or two. Some good places however.

Its not exactly catering to the new high quality tourists we keep hearing about.

For many its the last chance saloon, next stop Cambodia.

No need to comment on it being a dirty narrow soi with too much traffic and nowhere to park.

Certainly has the cheapest beer in Pattaya, served in some hole in the wall beer bars by maidens well past their sell by date.

The balloon chasers can be spotted carrying their Big C bags with plastic tupperware inside as the search for their evening meal,

usually pitching up in some bar they have never set foot in before, spotted straight away by regulars, about the same time as they order a soda water

or sprite, next descend on the free buffet and head for the toilet to fill up their plastic boxes to keep them going for the next 3 days.

Watched 2 of them being told to get their hands in their pockets and put some money on the garland of the cashier whose birthday it was, they were politely told red was the wrong colour, try purple.

The same ones who sit and nurse their Chang all night long bitching about how in the good old days 3 large bottles of Chang were only 100 baht,

constantly dripping on about exchange rates and how the government shafted them on their frozen pensions, real stimulating conversations.

All in all a cheap charlies hangout, the thought of a night out in Jamesons would horrify them, or leave them skint for a week.

Its not exactly catering to the new high quality tourists we keep hearing about.

For many its the last chance saloon, next stop Cambodia.

No need to comment on it being a dirty narrow soi with too much traffic and nowhere to park.

Certainly has the cheapest beer in Pattaya, served in some hole in the wall beer bars by maidens well past their sell by date.

The balloon chasers can be spotted carrying their Big C bags with plastic tupperware inside as the search for their evening meal,

usually pitching up in some bar they have never set foot in before, spotted straight away by regulars, about the same time as they order a soda water

or sprite, next descend on the free buffet and head for the toilet to fill up their plastic boxes to keep them going for the next 3 days.

Watched 2 of them being told to get their hands in their pockets and put some money on the garland of the cashier whose birthday it was, they were politely told red was the wrong colour, try purple.

The same ones who sit and nurse their Chang all night long bitching about how in the good old days 3 large bottles of Chang were only 100 baht,

constantly dripping on about exchange rates and how the government shafted them on their frozen pensions, real stimulating conversations.

All in all a cheap charlies hangout, the thought of a night out in Jamesons would horrify them, or leave them skint for a week.

Perfect...but hey!!! I also miss the good ol' days when 3 large bottles of Chang were only 100 Baht!!!!

• Like 2