Insecticides

osmar

Gently peel one cigarette and drop it into about a pint of cold water.

Leave for an hour, or two. Put resulting brownish water into a spray bottle and spray your orchids.

That was a very effective insectide years ago when the dangers associated with nicotine were not pubically available and it is still known as an "organic insectide" but it is one of the most lethal chemicals around.

For example , from Wikopedia .............

"The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 40–60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans.[47][48] Nicotine therefore has a high toxicity in comparison to many other alkaloids such as cocaine, which has an LD50 of 95.1 mg/kg when administered to mice. It is unlikely that a person would overdose on nicotine through smoking alone, although intoxication can occur through the excessive use of nicotine patches, gum, nasal sprays or oral inhalers intended as smoking cessation aids.[49][50] Spilling a high concentration of nicotine onto the skin can cause intoxication or even death, since nicotine readily passes into the bloodstream following dermal contact".

I am not an expert on orchids but i would be using something far less dangerous such as the garlic sprays and if you do have scale infestations on the folige you can use mild solutions of white oil or even cooking oil to smother the scales.

If you do use the nicotine , i would suit up with maximum level safetyequipment such as suits, respirators , gloves, goggles etc.

Gently peel one cigarette and drop it into about a pint of cold water.

Leave for an hour, or two. Put resulting brownish water into a spray bottle and spray your orchids.

That was a very effective insectide years ago when the dangers associated with nicotine were not pubically available and it is still known as an "organic insectide" but it is one of the most lethal chemicals around.

For example , from Wikopedia .............

"The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 40–60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans.[47][48] Nicotine therefore has a high toxicity in comparison to many other alkaloids such as cocaine, which has an LD50 of 95.1 mg/kg when administered to mice. It is unlikely that a person would overdose on nicotine through smoking alone, although intoxication can occur through the excessive use of nicotine patches, gum, nasal sprays or oral inhalers intended as smoking cessation aids.[49][50] Spilling a high concentration of nicotine onto the skin can cause intoxication or even death, since nicotine readily passes into the bloodstream following dermal contact".

I am not an expert on orchids but i would be using something far less dangerous such as the garlic sprays and if you do have scale infestations on the folige you can use mild solutions of white oil or even cooking oil to smother the scales.

If you do use the nicotine , i would suit up with maximum level safetyequipment such as suits, respirators , gloves, goggles etc.

Surely if he has no intention of eating the orchids.. Its safe enough..

Suits respirators gloves and googles.. For some backy water ?? I take it you never had a much bong water exposure ;)

[surely if he has no intention of eating the orchids.. Its safe enough..

Suits respirators gloves and googles.. For some backy water ?? I take it you never had a much bong water exposure

Point taken about the bong water but it still does not mean that nicotine is safe to use as an insecticide without due precautions. I bet you didn't drink the bong water.