Monk(S) In The Business Class

Lammbock

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Than on the other hand if the plane isn't really full so why she (the Stewardess) didn't gave him an economy seat free of women??? As mentioned before: "Monks shouldn't have a comfortable life."

Well, obviously, even monks have to go to the bathroom on a flight. This wouldn't be much problem in business class, but they might have to pass 20 rows in economy, many containing non-Thai females who don't know they can't be in contact with a monk, or with female children jumping around and running up and down the aisles. The point is to avoid putting a monk in a position where he may violate the precepts. Keeping 227 precepts is not an "easy life" by any stretch of the imagination.

Well, obviously, even monks have to go to the bathroom on a flight. This wouldn't be much problem in business class, but they might have to pass 20 rows in economy, many containing non-Thai females who don't know they can't be in contact with a monk, or with female children jumping around and running up and down the aisles. The point is to avoid putting a monk in a position where he may violate the precepts. Keeping 227 precepts is not an "easy life" by any stretch of the imagination.

Good point! Again! ;)

I can't argue with that.

Car and driver, biz class or better, no different than a relatively successful CEO or business owner.

:)

By that token I suppose an excessively large personal bank account is acceptable too.

Of course to safeguard against corrupt organizations.

:)

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of decent monks, but as mentioned the entry procedure is so lax a lot of people unworthy to wear the robes slip through.

The Buddha kind of set the tone when he accepted the serial killer, Angulimala, into the monastic order. Although there are some basic restrictions for ordination set down in the Monastic Code, the idea is that everyone has the potential for enlightenment and should be given a chance. Perhaps it would work better if the abbots were stricter about the 227 precepts, so that layabouts didn't find the monkhood an appealing way of life.

My take on the OP is this: Under the Monastic Code, monks are not allowed to have contact with females, which makes it very difficult for them to move around or do anything in a crowded plane. Most likely the stewardesses would move them to business class out of consideration and to make it easier for everyone (i.e. both the monks and the women on the plane). I believe there is also a precept that monks cannot eat at the same table as laity. I don't know how this would work in a plane, but clearly it would be better for a monk to have a row of seats to himself, if possible.

As others have mentioned, serving a monk in any way brings merit. There is no reason for a monk to decline a kindness unless it will result in him breaking a precept.

So why does everyone have to accommodate to their requirements, I personally can only sit next to large chested semi drunk women on planes. Its my religion.:lol:

Edited by ooovaavu

A monk in our village regularly pulls up in a new black pick-up in front of the village shop.

Last Thursday I was in a 7-11 at 8.00 pm and a monk bought 2 chicken pies, 3 sandwiches, a loaf of bread and a bottle of coke.

The Thais say nothing though, so I resist sticking my oar in.

Did he proceed to exit the shop and start munching on his feast? Was he maybe not buying this for someone who wondered into the local temple, homeless and half starving to death? Maybe a wayward westerner, reduced to the status of a bum. (to quote Withnail & I).

Without the whole story, we can only make assumptions that the Monk was obviously doing a very bad thing. Because that is what the majority of people on here seem to prefer.

Do not judge, lest thee be judged thyself. (I think).

Zerod1, I think your posts are the least opinionated in this entire thread, I'd have to say your understanding of the monastic life is pretty good!

As for the other posters slagging on monks in this thread, don't judge others based merely on what you've seen or heard and as SBK stated, maybe you should find out the facts before you make a comment. I'm not defending any religion or religious figure, I'm just saying that you should probably have the facts clear before you go off on a rant about someone you passed briefly in a 7-11, train or airplane.

Air hostess special treatment depends on the monk, his stature in the Sangha or by reputation.

How can you be sure? If the older Thai ladies are swooning then he is quite revered.

Most monks get no special treatment at all by the airlines except for the reserved seating in the terminal area where you will sometimes find a farang with feet resting on the pillow. (They really need to use bi-lingual signs for these spots)

-NG

I was on a flight to the US where a Thai monk was seated in between two women. I told the flight attendant about the problem and they moved him around. Guess they told him I had interceded on his behalf because as he was moved he turned and smiled very nicely at me.

but i guess this is a negative complaining thread instead so maybe I'd better think of some other story to tell.

sbk

There you go again, scoring the highest mark!

May you be blessed many many times over. :Thaiflag:

At the same time, shame shame shame to those Thai men making themselves comfortable in the same cabin. :yohan:

Haviig had the good fortune to visit Sarnath deer Park where Lord Gautama Siddhartha preached., Bhodgaya and many Tibetan moansteries Thai Bhuddism comes across as less strict vehicle.,perhaps he peddle car of dharma?Some examples of how it has been adapted by Thai psyche

Monks at my wedding 9

Number who wanted vegetarian food offered ZERO !

One day in C Rai marke I was tempted to photograph the young monk Mobile phone in one hand and fag in the other.

The monk who slept with one of the family etc

They seem to have completely adapted to Thailand

Of course this is none of my business rather Monkey business,paganism ghosts and pagan Hindu gods still hold sway as a quick glance at symbols and practices reveal.

For those wishing to enter business without the wherewithal eschew the thong and singlet and a tie a wash and some blarney is also a good idea

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Not long ago the lady next door died, she had lived alone and kept to herself.

A week after she died a monk turned up with 2 trucks and a gang who proceeded to remove the very nice furnature from her (big) house.

Someone else arrived and started arguing with him, he then called a cop (on his cell phone).

The cop arrived and after a brief discussion the "Someone else" left with a couple of photos.

We thought she must have left her things to a temple.

But no, we found out from the neighbour on the other side the monk had been having an affair with the woman for about 10 years and had bought her quite a lot of things over the years and had come to collect "his things".

The someone else who was given a short shift was her brother complaining it was her proporty and not that of the monk.

A monk in our village regularly pulls up in a new black pick-up in front of the village shop.

Last Thursday I was in a 7-11 at 8.00 pm and a monk bought 2 chicken pies, 3 sandwiches, a loaf of bread and a bottle of coke.

The Thais say nothing though, so I resist sticking my oar in.

Did he proceed to exit the shop and start munching on his feast? Was he maybe not buying this for someone who wondered into the local temple, homeless and half starving to death? Maybe a wayward westerner, reduced to the status of a bum. (to quote Withnail & I).

Without the whole story, we can only make assumptions that the Monk was obviously doing a very bad thing. Because that is what the majority of people on here seem to prefer.

Do not judge, lest thee be judged thyself. (I think).

Zerod1, I think your posts are the least opinionated in this entire thread, I'd have to say your understanding of the monastic life is pretty good!

As for the other posters slagging on monks in this thread, don't judge others based merely on what you've seen or heard and as SBK stated, maybe you should find out the facts before you make a comment. I'm not defending any religion or religious figure, I'm just saying that you should probably have the facts clear before you go off on a rant about someone you passed briefly in a 7-11, train or airplane.

Go to the 7-11 on Samsen road near soi 3,( 10 minutes walk from Khaosan road), you will see a steady stream of monks going in there at night perusing the celebrity magazines and buying various snacks.

Visit the monks' quarters (kutis) at Wat Chanasongkhram opposite Khaosan road and admire some of the finest DVD collections of morlam, luk thung.

Go to temple fairs ( Wat In,15 minutes from Khaosan)and see the rows of monks at the back admiring the scantily clad dancing troupes in the concerts.

I think my dry, British sense of humour has gone over the heads of certain posters.

I'm well aware of what constitutes a 'real' monk and what constitutes a period of merit-making. (I've studied Buddhism at post-grad level..)

A real monk would refuse an offer of First Class, and certainly would not be eating in the afternoon/evening. That would be breaching some of the important Precepts of Buddhism.

So we can assume that these 'monks' in First Class were actually novices who were undertaking a period of merit-making, perhaps in honour of their parents.

So my claim that they were fake monks still stands. One cannot wear saffron robes and pick and chose at what time of the day you will adhere to the Precepts, and which of these you will adhere to. That is total hypocracy (spelling?).

If one is undertaking a period of merit-making, and is still required for practical or business reasons to travel in this manner, the robes should be removed, and the person should be treated as any other individual who is not a real monk.

I have very little respect for many who claim to be monks, because it's very clear by their actions that what they claim to be is complete <deleted>, and everyone knows this.

On the other hand, I have total respect for those who do adhere to the Precepts.

As I often say, it's human nature to be bad

Simon

Couldn't agree more Simon,

My personal experience with Thai monks have been very negative and personally I would not trust one of them.

That is not to say they are all crooked, it's just that I have not met an honest one yet!

I have had 5 dirrect face to face meetings with Thai monks and each time they tried to either rob me or lie to me.

(I posted on this very topic a while ago if someone would like to know the details).