Marriage Certificate

Got married last Friday at the local amphur office. We each got our certificates in Thai. I asked about one in English, but was told they couldn't do it there.

I know you can get them, I just don't know the proceedure. Do I go to a translation office, get another certificate in English and then have it certified by the amphur office? That would seem to be the easiest way to go.

Excuse me, but what good does a translated marriage certificate do in Thailand? If you need to show proof of marriage in your home country isn't it better you just simply register your marriage in your home country too through the embassy here so they will issue another marriage certificate in your own language? That's what I did and I found that to be quite a simple process once the Thai marriage certificate is issued and I'm sure you won't need to have it translated in English or whatever as long as you're doing it at the embassy/consulate in Thailand. Unless of course if you're going to settle in another third country other than Thailand or your home country but otherwise I just don't see a point of why one would need it translated but I might be missing something here.

Edited by Nordlys

I thought that in the event that we want to go to the UK for a holiday, The Embassy would want a copy of the certificate in English - they certainly require other documentation in that language.

Also, the Embassy's web site seemed to suggest that registering the marriage with them, dosn't mean that we're married back in England.

I might have misread it but certainly it could help with visa applications.

Really?? I'm a Japanese citizen and I could register our marriage in Japan through the embassy in Bangkok. And there was no fee, whereas if I wanted the translated Thai marriage certificate (or any other document for that matter) certified by the embassy it would cost me B1,000. Only thing is, there's no such an official document in my country as "marriage certificate", and we use a copy of family registry much like Tabian Baan as a proof of family/marriage registration which no embassy/consulate can issue so I have to go back to Japan to have it issued from municipal office there or authorize someone there to do it for me with a power of attorney if I want one. But I would not need one unless I go live in Japan so I haven't asked for family registration with my Thai wife's name on yet.

Yeah, I see why you would need it if you can't register marriage in UK through the local embassy here.

Edited by Nordlys

You getting married is a one time deal and it has been done. The only marriage certificate that can be issued has been issued. Believe what your Embassy may be doing is what the MFA is doing but in your language and probably only valid in your home country. The translation and registration by the MFA makes this a valid legal document worldwide and in my case was required by US officials for retirement pay change. It is a good thing to have.

Married Friday and already planning an overnight in Bangkok? :o

Just looked at the web site again.

With Brit Emb, it's categorical that reistering the marriage with them only means that the original cert is deposited with the relevent office in the UK. No more.

I still have to get a translation done, pay 1700+ to deposit it in the UK and 2,625 to have the a sworn statement certified by The Embassy. The translator has to go to The Emb as well.

As this process dosn't mean a thing in the UK, it would seem pretty pointless.

Lopburi's suggestion sounds better.

Are you English Nordlvs?

With Brit Emb, it's categorical that reistering the marriage with them only means that the original cert is deposited with the relevent office in the UK. No more.

I still have to get a translation done, pay 1700+ to deposit it in the UK and 2,625 to have the a sworn statement certified by The Embassy. The translator has to go to The Emb as well.

As this process dosn't mean a thing in the UK, it would seem pretty pointless.

Yeah, why would anyone want to do it if you're already registered here and with all these fees and process at the embassy you can't get it registered in your country??? What kind of a consular service is that? If it's for cermonial purpose, I don't see why it has to be done at the embassy.

Are you English Nordlvs?

I'm a Japanese/Thai dual citizenships holder.

You getting married is a one time deal and it has been done.  The only marriage certificate that can be issued has been issued. 

Are you saying US does not allow a US citizen to register marriage in US once you have registered marriage somewhere else, but still recognize you and your wife as a married couple with a translation of marriage certificate issued in another country certified by the US embassy?

You getting married is a one time deal and it has been done.  The only marriage certificate that can be issued has been issued. 

Are you saying US does not allow a US citizen to register marriage in US once you have registered marriage somewhere else, but still recognize you and your wife as a married couple with a translation of marriage certificate issued in another country certified by the US embassy?

Your Thai marriage certificate is the only registration for US. You obtain an official translation (and for that the MFA is the designated certification authority just as the Department of State is for a US document) for any official use within the US.

The only reason I can think of for registering with The UK Embassy and depositing the certificate back home is to make bigamy that much harder to commit.

Currently, I don't have worries about that, which is one good reason that I'll probably be extremely diplomatic and not spend a night in BKK!!

I registered my Thai marriage at the US Embassy in BKK last week. I took a translation (duly stamped by the translation company) and the original Thai language certificate to the Embassy.

They looked at it, compared it to the original, stamped the back of the translation certifying it was a true copy of the original and sent me on my way.

No charge and it took perhaps 15 minutes. There is no charge for notarial services as long as the notarized document is a requirement of the US government.

Edit: I did not get MOFA certification nor was one required. MOFA certification is required to get married but not to register your Thai marriage at the US embassy.

Edited by chuckd

I registered my Thai marriage at the US Embassy in BKK last week.  I took a translation (duly stamped by the translation company) and the original Thai language certificate to the Embassy.

They looked at it, compared it to the original, stamped the back of the translation certifying it was a true copy of the original and sent me on my way.

No charge and it took perhaps 15 minutes.  There is no charge for notarial services as long as the notarized document is a requirement of the US government.

Edit:  I did not get MOFA certification nor was one required.  MOFA certification is required to get married but not to register your Thai marriage at the US embassy.

There is no requirement to register your marriage at the US Embassy so am not sure what you did. As you say it was a requirement must assume you are talking about obtaining an immigrant visa rather than a marriage registration. If I am wrong I am many years wrong. :o

What exact requirement do you believe you were doing? I am quite sure there would be something on their web site if they now have any such process but can not find it.

Got married last Friday at the local amphur office. We each got our certificates in Thai. I asked about one in English, but was told they couldn't do it there.

I know you can get them, I just don't know the proceedure. Do I go to a translation office, get another certificate in English and then have it certified by the amphur office? That would seem to be the easiest way to go.

Married in Thailand last April, Wife Thai,

Normal with letter of freedom to marry,

I asked at the Embassy if it was necessary to register there after marriage?

No but maybe a “Good Idea” to translate Marriage Certificate to English ready for when we go to England as Translation required for Wife’s Visa Application

Hope this helps :D

Regards

Ivan

:D

PS

Congratulations to you both, long and happy life

PPS

Visa Interview August 9th and now very nervous. :o

Edited by IvanLaw

Married in Thailand last April, Wife Thai,

Normal with letter of freedom to marry,

I asked at the Embassy if it was necessary to register there after marriage?

No but maybe a “Good Idea” to translate Marriage Certificate to English ready for when we go to England as Translation required for Wife’s Visa Application

Hope this helps :D

Regards

Ivan

:D

PS

Congratulations to you both, long and happy life

PPS

Visa Interview August 9th and now very nervous. :o

Surely if you are applying for a visa for England it is a requisite that they see the original marriage certificate PLUS a bona fide endorsed proper translation. That what we had to do.

Our interview is August 1st and we are jittery as ###### ...............

Yea, congratulations on your wedding, hope everything is good for you.

Sua Yai, for whatever the reason you'll need to do it for for, I think Thai Khet/Amphor can issue you more than one marriage certificate. I and my wife have two, and they are all deemed original, as far as I understand. So you can leave one with the British embassy while you can keep the other for whatever the matter coming up in the future that'll require you to produce the proof of marriage in Thailand.

BTW I find it hard to believe British embassy in Thailand requires Thai marriage certificate translated to English for visa application. That's not necessary for my embassy as long as you apply for visa or seek whatever else the assistance that requires to produce the Thai language certificate at the embassy/consulate here in Thailand.

Sua Yai, for whatever the reason you'll need to do it for for, I think Thai Khet/Amphor can issue you more than one marriage certificate. I and my wife have two, and they are all deemed original, as far as I understand. So you can leave one with the British embassy while you can keep the other for whatever the matter coming up in the future that'll require you to produce the proof of marriage in Thailand.

BTW I find it hard to believe British embassy in Thailand requires Thai marriage certificate translated to English for visa application. That's not necessary for my embassy as long as you apply for visa or seek whatever else the assistance that requires to produce the Thai language certificate at the embassy/consulate here in Thailand.

You get two copies when you marry. One for husband and one for wife. You do not want to "leave" an original anywhere.

Believe he is talking about an immigrant visa (settlement I think they call it) and the translation is most likely going to be required by the office in the UK doing the processing of such and they would not have a clue what it said otherwise.

You get two copies when you marry.  One for husband and one for wife.  You do not want to "leave" an original anywhere.

As far as I remember we did receive two copies because we specifically asked for two. My wife told me you can ask for more at very minimal fee. Or are we wrong?

I have never known of less than two. You may be able to obtain more at a price; just as you can have the forms done outside the district office if you want but believe everyone gets two without asking. If I recall correctly they had to use a wide carriage typewriter as the forms were two together.

[Are you saying US does not allow a US citizen to register marriage in US once you have registered marriage somewhere else, but still recognize you and your wife as a married couple with a translation of marriage certificate issued in another country certified by the US embassy?

Your Thai marriage certificate is the only registration for US. You obtain an official translation (and for that the MFA is the designated certification authority just as the Department of State is for a US document) for any official use within the US.

Is the difference perhaps because US and other farang countries do not have domicile registration system like my country (Japan) and Thailand? For my country being married means having your spouse's name on family registration (like Tabian Baan) which is the only valid document certifying your marriage and having Thai marriage certificate certified by the Japanese embassy does not automatically make us a married couple in Japan.

Edited by Nordlys

Is the difference perhaps because US and other farang countries do not have domicile registration system like my country (Japan) and Thailand? For my country being married means having your spouse's name on family registration (like Tabian Baan) which is the only valid document certifying your marriage and having Thai marriage certificate certified by the Japanese embassy does not automatically make us a married couple in Japan.

You do not need anything certified by the US Embassy - your marriage is legal in the USA as soon as you sign at the District Office and if you go back to the US to marry someone else you are a bigamist. To prove marriage later outside of Thailand you have the marriage certificate translated and registered with the MFA because most in the US would not be able to read the document. Someone seems to believe the US Embassy can perform this function but I do not see any indication on web that they can and know that the MFA stamp is accepted.

You do not need anything certified by the US Embassy - your marriage is legal in the USA as soon as you sign at the District Office and if you go back to the US to marry someone else you are a bigamist.  To prove marriage later outside of Thailand you have the marriage certificate translated and registered with the MFA because most in the US would not be able to read the document.  Someone seems to believe the US Embassy can perform this function but I do not see any indication on web that they can and know that the MFA stamp is accepted.

When you say "District Office", you're referring to Thai Khet/Amphor, correct?

You do not need anything certified by the US Embassy - your marriage is legal in the USA as soon as you sign at the District Office and if you go back to the US to marry someone else you are a bigamist.  To prove marriage later outside of Thailand you have the marriage certificate translated and registered with the MFA because most in the US would not be able to read the document.  Someone seems to believe the US Embassy can perform this function but I do not see any indication on web that they can and know that the MFA stamp is accepted.

When you say "District Office", you're referring to Thai Khet/Amphor, correct?

Correct.

I registered my Thai marriage at the US Embassy in BKK last week.  I took a translation (duly stamped by the translation company) and the original Thai language certificate to the Embassy.

No charge and it took perhaps 15 minutes.  There is no charge for notarial services as long as the notarized document is a requirement of the US government.

Edit:  I did not get MOFA certification nor was one required.  MOFA certification is required to get married but not to register your Thai marriage at the US embassy.

There is no requirement to register your marriage at the US Embassy so am not sure what you did. As you say it was a requirement must assume you are talking about obtaining an immigrant visa rather than a marriage registration. If I am wrong I am many years wrong. :D

What exact requirement do you believe you were doing? I am quite sure there would be something on their web site if they now have any such process but can not find it.

I never said there was a requirement to register your marriage at the US Embassy. I said if the government, for whatever reason, needs certified copies of any document, there is no charge for the notarial services.

The US Government needed certified copies of my marriage certificate for retirement purposes that are personal in nature to me. As I accurately stated, there was no notarial fee for this service.

This is what I was doing and not what I believed I was doing. :o

There is no requirement to register your marriage at the US Embassy so am not sure what you did. As you say it was a requirement must assume you are talking about obtaining an immigrant visa rather than a marriage registration. If I am wrong I am many years wrong. :D

I never said there was a requirement to register your marriage at the US Embassy. I said if the government, for whatever reason, needs certified copies of any document, there is no charge for the notarial services.

The US Government needed certified copies of my marriage certificate for retirement purposes that are personal in nature to me. As I accurately stated, there was no notarial fee for this service.

This is what I was doing and not what I believed I was doing. :o

You said

I registered my Thai marriage at the US Embassy in BKK last week. I took a translation (duly stamped by the translation company) and the original Thai language certificate to the Embassy.

The information about no fee for notary service is a good piece of advise.

you can translate by yourself , but maybe you need your help from your friend or missus who can read TH , for reach

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs.. has document form

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/804.php

Bambi

you can translate by yourself , but maybe you need your help from your friend or missus who can read TH , for reach

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs.. has document form

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/804.php

Bambi

Believe translations must be signed by an accredited translator (registered with the MFA) unless there has been a recent change.

I am a U.S. citizen, and was married in Thailand two years ago. I had to get my mariage certificate translated into english for the U.S. embassy for the purpose of adopting my wifes son. The official translater no myself had to send the translation to the MFA office. The only thing that had to be sent to that office for a certification stamp was the authorization to marry by the Embassy.