Shots In The Dark?

Old Croc

So there I was getting my first decent sleep for a week, having been crook as a dog, when I was jolted out of bed, around 0130am, by gunfire outside.

It seemed to be coming either from my next door neighbors house, or the street in front of it. A series of very distinct boom, boom booms. Up to 10 or 12 of them. Each time the muzzle flash was lighting up my bedroom.

The GF, who was closest to the window, looked out and saw most of the flashes. She said they were all going straight up in the air. It was over before I could grab her and explain it wasn't the best time to be peering out the window!

I'm not an expert on firearms, but I have done a little bit of target shooting, including with a magnum 44, this sound was reminiscent of that.

After it was over everything went back to normal and everyone went back to sleep, as if it is quite a common occurance.

Did I see and hear it correctly, or is there some sort of firwork that behaves like that for the drunk f/wits to play with in the middle of the night?

I'm in Rawai.

I have often had that sort of experience here in Kata (hillside). Usually about 6 or more distinctive booms. I've often wondered if that's the sound of gunshots or fireworks. I'm no expert about what gunfire sounds like. I keep on waiting for the police cars, blue lights, sirens. But nothing ever happens. Back to sleep ... zzzzz T.I.T.

I have often had that sort of experience here in Kata (hillside). Usually about 6 or more distinctive booms. I've often wondered if that's the sound of gunshots or fireworks. I'm no expert about what gunfire sounds like. I keep on waiting for the police cars, blue lights, sirens. But nothing ever happens. Back to sleep ... zzzzz T.I.T.

Fireworks to chase the demons away. Probably a Thai Chinese family

there is a distinct difference between fireworks and gunshots, with a small pistol it may be difficult to tell the difference at a distance.

with a rifle however, since the bullet travels at over the speed of sound, there is a secondary CRACK generated. This is noticeable and distinctly different.

To the inexperienced ear you may not be able to tell the difference.

Most Thais will not let off fireworks late at night, on the other hand drunk falangs do all the time.

Quite likely a bottle rocket being shot off by a bored neighbor.

I would expect fireworks noise to run into itself, ie explosives on top of explosives in a haphazard manner.

These shots were one after another, boom, boom, boom, etc, like someone was pulling a trigger each time. About 10-12 shots.

It happened about 40 metres from my window and I can assure you these were no little chinese fireworks or bottle rockets being set off. The muzzle flashes were sudden, violent, short and immediate, there were no rockets heading into the air.

Definately wasn't rifle fire, but repeating, it sounded like a large caliber hand gun.

The people next door are a mixture farang/thai and they have a rep for holding long, high stake card games. Haven't met any of them, not very friendly.

Edited by Old Croc

I would expect fireworks noise to run into itself, ie explosives on top of explosives in a haphazard manner.

These shots were one after another, boom, boom, boom, etc, like someone was pulling a trigger each time. About 10-12 shots.

It happened about 40 metres from my window and I can assure you these were no little chinese fireworks or bottle rockets being set off. The muzzle flashes were sudden, violent, short and immediate, there were no rockets heading into the air.

Definately wasn't rifle fire, but repeating, it sounded like a large caliber hand gun.

The people next door are a mixture farang/thai and they have a rep for holding long, high stake card games. Haven't met any of them, not very friendly.

Quite possible is gunfire..no doubts there...stay inside ...lol

I don't know if you could tell the difference in sound, between pistol and rifle as many pistols also are capable of breaking the sound barrier...giving the charactoristic crackkkkk

Even some airrifles can do so, but you have no muzzle flash obviously.

Good luck

We have had at least 2 parties in Kata with a few BiB present. Both times there have been some shooting early morning. They simply radio to patrol bib to not worry. BTW most BIB use small calibre like 9mm, works better for men 60-70 kg, and more bullets in magasine.

Not to mention any party countryside with or without BiB present, shooting all night and morning.

All this shooting is a replacement for (my) lack of having fire crackers for bring luck:)

Most of the time it is fireworks but gunshots can't be ruled out. I figure as long as their not shooting at me I don't care. I was riding in Bang Tao last year late at night and ran into a gunfight where 3 guys were down for the count. The locals just waved for me to pass through real polite like.....only in Thailand :rolleyes: Just found out another Thai guy I know was shot dead while I was in Australia, thammada thammada..........

It's a rare day (or night) here when I don't hear fireworks both near and far.

However, what happened the other night can't have been explosives of that type. A rocket type firework would obviously go into the air and do something, and cracker type fireworks explode haphazardly in all directions.

What I saw and heard had to be gunfire. The noise was consistant with someone methodically pulling a trigger and the short, vertical flashes couldn't have been fireworks of any sort.

I guess I'll take the advice of others and just put it down to TIT and live with it. And just hope they take their games a bit further away from my bedroom window next time. :)

Edited by Old Croc

Sounds like my latest dream.

I am out at night, hunting down the family who every few weeks buys over 100 000 small fireworks and lights them up all night non-stop

I hunt them out with a magnum and shoot them slowly in all their limbs. You probably entered my dream.

Sounds like my latest dream.

I am out at night, hunting down the family who every few weeks buys over 100 000 small fireworks and lights them up all night non-stop

I hunt them out with a magnum and shoot them slowly in all their limbs. You probably entered my dream.

Thats one hel_l of a dream bud

More like a sick nightmare IMO :unsure: