Bed Bugs

ciaociao

I stayed in a place on the second road for a few days and there were no bugs in my bed but the noise from the other cells made it feel like being in prison. 250 Baht a night don't buy you much in Pattaya I guess......certainly not a good nights sleep. ;)

The Bangkok Post recently had an article on bed bugs - focussed on the current US problems, not saying that they are a problem in Pattaya or Bangkok. It seems that they pretty much disappeared for 40 years but have recently come back with a vengeance. There are lots of theories why (like stopping the use of DDT), but none of them really holds water when you look at them in depth. They are strange little critters as they bite and suck your blood, but there is no known case of them spreading disease. Very little is known about them, but if you do get an infestation they can be very difficult to get rid of. Burning your bed and bedding is one way. In the pre-WW2 days they used to seal a house and pump in poisonous cyanide-based gas to kill them. The most effective of these was widely used in Germany, and was known as Zyklon B. Ring any bells? I can't find the article now, I'm afraid, but it was one of their better ones.

A year or so ago, the BP had a lengthy article about serious bed bugs infestations on the sleeper cars and seats of Thailand's trains. Blamed it all on the "dirty" farang backpackers who must've brought 'em. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fookhaht

They are nasty little creatures and in previous generations great care was taken to prevent getting them. There is a whole range of 'etiquette' things that had to do with not bringing bed bugs into a house.

I grew up in a poor area in the US and there were bed bugs, not real common, but common enough. People that had them were treated like they had the plague. In one instance, the health department had an old house burned because of the bed bugs.

I think they would be easier to get rid of in Thailand, but in the US, they get into the walls (as well as living in mattresses and bedding), where even strong insecticides don't penetrate easily. And, I might add, they are pretty good at hitching a ride on clothing, in luggage etc.

They are faster than a bolt of lightening, so you seldom see them. Flick on a light, but they are all gone.

They are nasty little creatures and in previous generations great care was taken to prevent getting them. There is a whole range of 'etiquette' things that had to do with not bringing bed bugs into a house.

I grew up in a poor area in the US and there were bed bugs, not real common, but common enough. People that had them were treated like they had the plague. In one instance, the health department had an old house burned because of the bed bugs.

I think they would be easier to get rid of in Thailand, but in the US, they get into the walls (as well as living in mattresses and bedding), where even strong insecticides don't penetrate easily. And, I might add, they are pretty good at hitching a ride on clothing, in luggage etc.

They are faster than a bolt of lightening, so you seldom see them. Flick on a light, but they are all gone.

Certainly American Airlines are aware of transporting the seemingly epidemic infestations in the States. Bloody difficult to get rid of, but as stated the concrete construction here in LOS keeps them down in the linen and out of the walls.