Indicators Legal Requirement?

saorsa

yes indicators are required in LOS to be roadlegal, and both CE and DOT approved lights are accepted

basicly a homoleg bike can not have indicators replaced with another style/position/color or brightness without being inspected by DLT and change noted on page 18, but most get by:)

I have a tail tidy on its way for my Ninja650R, and it will be illegal but nobody will knowB)

yes indicators are required in LOS to be roadlegal, and both CE and DOT approved lights are accepted

basicly a homoleg bike can not have indicators replaced with another style/position/color or brightness without being inspected by DLT and change noted on page 18, but most get by:)

I have a tail tidy on its way for my Ninja650R, and it will be illegal but nobody will knowB)

Ok, guess I will go with the aftermarket ones then instead of taking them off completely.

Yeah I am in the process of getting my pillion peg arms LED set up from some guys stateside..

Am going to have some brake LED's and turns built into the framework.. And thought of ditching signals and having a LED brakelight with built in turns also.. But that will deffo cause some DMV hassle.

I dont like the 'disco effect' brake light.. I tend to think theres too much distraction in that..

To confuse Thai drivers, Try using your indicators.

Indicators are to be viewed with skepticism, the driver / rider may be indicating which way s/he is going to turn, which side you should overtake on, which direction s/he came from or maybe they're on by accident and s/he just doesn't know how to cancel them.

I hope once you have them installed you read the above and fit in with the general population. :D<br style=""> <br style="">

For people riding a big bike I would say add lights, not remove lights. Changing the lightning of your bike means that it's not valid to be used as a legal vehicle.

Motorcycle Thailand received and investigated two reports of riders of two legally registered Kawasaki motorcycles which changed the rear light to look more cool/sporty. Both this motorcycles where confiscated by the highway police near Chonburi and classified as illegal vehicles. The owners of this bikes were notified that they were able to reclaim the motorcycles if the vehicles would pass the Thai road safety test. Even when the owners offered to replace the modified parts with original parts, it needed to be verified for road safety by the appropriated agency. Which is basically the road safety and emission test needed for all vehicles wanting to get on the Thai road. The motorcycles in question being two 650cc Kawasaki's mean that the total cost of not having the appropriated rear lights will cost more then 100,000 Baht.

The moral of this is that if Thai police ask for pocket money when you have a legal greenbook but have seriously have modified your lights....just pay the 400 Baht.

For people riding a big bike I would say add lights, not remove lights. Changing the lightning of your bike means that it's not valid to be used as a legal vehicle.

Motorcycle Thailand received and investigated two reports of riders of two legally registered Kawasaki motorcycles which changed the rear light to look more cool/sporty. Both this motorcycles where confiscated by the highway police near Chonburi and classified as illegal vehicles. The owners of this bikes were notified that they were able to reclaim the motorcycles if the vehicles would pass the Thai road safety test. Even when the owners offered to replace the modified parts with original parts, it needed to be verified for road safety by the appropriated agency. Which is basically the road safety and emission test needed for all vehicles wanting to get on the Thai road. The motorcycles in question being two 650cc Kawasaki's mean that the total cost of not having the appropriated rear lights will cost more then 100,000 Baht.

The moral of this is that if Thai police ask for pocket money when you have a legal greenbook but have seriously have modified your lights....just pay the 400 Baht.

Total BS Richard. If the Highway Police are going to confiscate every vehicle that's not road legal we'd immediately enjoy a huge reduction in the number of vehicles on the road. You can be ticketed for illegal modifications (easily resolved with a little tea money) but your claim that motorcycles have been seized just because the tail lights / turn signals were modified is ludicrous. Perhaps you have some proof? A link? No? I didn't think so... :rolleyes:

I suspect they do have the power to seize, I have heard of dirtbikes being seized and a ticket issued at the station even on plated bikes but not taxed or with running lights (those sonic off road conversions the Thai lads ride).. But I have never heard of them needing to be DMV / LTO re-inspected.

Anyway.. In my personal situation.. My bike is unrecognizable as the base bike it was built as.. I knew that risk when I fightered it.. I live with that risk.. And am still happy (for now) that I did it this way. So a little more customization, on top of whats already happened, is hardly worth losing sleep over.

I suspect they do have the power to seize, I have heard of dirtbikes being seized and a ticket issued at the station even on plated bikes but not taxed or with running lights (those sonic off road conversions the Thai lads ride).. But I have never heard of them needing to be DMV / LTO re-inspected.

Anyway.. In my personal situation.. My bike is unrecognizable as the base bike it was built as.. I knew that risk when I fightered it.. I live with that risk.. And am still happy (for now) that I did it this way. So a little more customization, on top of whats already happened, is hardly worth losing sleep over.

Since your bike is not homoleg but approved individually, there is no problem as long as DLT doesnt have picture of bike in file.

The major problem is when stuff is moded on homoleg bikes. Homoleg big bikes transfer ownership, DLT even takes pictures now

Since your bike is not homoleg but approved individually, there is no problem as long as DLT doesnt have picture of bike in file.

The major problem is when stuff is moded on homoleg bikes. Homoleg big bikes transfer ownership, DLT even takes pictures now

Ohh yes.. It has had its photo taken.. :(

First time it was when wrecked, but since then its been changed..

Interestingly, the local paint shop has assured me that if I have them do a spray job (happening no matter if I can get it in the book or not) and they do it, they 'guarantee' the paint will be accepted and the bike issued with new color scheme / updated file pictures.

Sounds like a cheap way to get the file updated and get the paint job I want..

But when it sounds too good to be true etc !!

I haven't had pictures taken when I sold my Ninja 250R in Chiang Mai or my ER6n in Khon Kaen or when I just bought a used ER6n here in Bangkok last month... No pics when I bought the Gixxer a few months ago either... Perhaps the picture taking is a Phuket thing? :whistling:

Lets hope so.. Cos it means if I rereg in another province as planned all history would be local..

I have been told by bikers up north than none of the things that effect us here like this are enforced up there.. If its got lights and rides, got working indicators, etc then it passes..

As it should.. There should be a spec, and if the bike passes that spec, then its OK.. Not that the bike must be 'original' whatever that means.. So I put in a new bulb and its not longer legal ??

I haven't had pictures taken when I sold my Ninja 250R in Chiang Mai or my ER6n in Khon Kaen or when I just bought a used ER6n here in Bangkok last month... No pics when I bought the Gixxer a few months ago either... Perhaps the picture taking is a Phuket thing? :whistling:

Doesnt always happen in Phuket either, happend to couple of other TV posters and to me, but not to dollarmans black Ninja650R with 2 bros, only every second time it seems.

On occasions they dont have camera, and ask for ad on internett and copy the picture from it;)

But the intention is clear, complete each bike file with a photo

I reckon I ll swap one of my Ninjas to white, inspection needed and I will try it with 2 bros, xenon/hid and tail tidy, and hope they focus on color onlyB)

Doesnt always happen in Phuket either, happend to couple of other TV posters and to me, but not to dollarmans black Ninja650R with 2 bros, only every second time it seems.

On occasions they dont have camera, and ask for ad on internett and copy the picture from it;)

I reckon I ll swap one of my Ninjas to white, inspection needed and I will try it with 2 bros, xenon/hid and tail tidy, and hope they focus on color onlyB)

I was quite happy that the Bangkok DMV at Morchit allowed by Gixxer to pass inspection with tail tidy and ludicrously loud race exhaust (and they wouldn't even accept a tip!) :lol:

mygixxer2.JPG

I guess if Richard was an inspector he would have impounded my bike? :whistling:

Happy Trails!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Exactly what does homoleg mean? I have a 2009 Harley properly imported and reg'd by Harley dealer in BKK. I'm thinking to put a 300mm wide tyre kit and maybe extend the front forks 6" next year. Does this need an inspection then? Has anyone done any mods like this and had them passed?

Exactly what does homoleg mean? I have a 2009 Harley properly imported and reg'd by Harley dealer in BKK. I'm thinking to put a 300mm wide tyre kit and maybe extend the front forks 6" next year. Does this need an inspection then? Has anyone done any mods like this and had them passed?

homoleg means manufactorer/authorised importer to LOS has let government test and approve one bike, and then certify every bike is identical spec thus not needing inspection when sold/reg new. Like Kawasaki does with all models, and all others do with their small twist&go. Can be checked in green reg book, if anything written in page 4 position 5/6 its a homoleg bike.

On a homoleg bike in LOS, no specs are supposed to be altered without DLT approval and note in page 18. In most countries specs can be altered to other pre approved specs, like change stock CE approved lights to another design CE approved light. CE in Europe, DOT in US.

But most mods on a Harley usually gets by, except noise level making bib desire money

homoleg means manufactorer/authorised importer to LOS has let government test and approve one bike, and then certify every bike is identical spec thus not needing inspection when sold/reg new. Like Kawasaki does with all models, and all others do with their small twist&go. Can be checked in green reg book, if anything written in page 4 position 5/6 its a homoleg bike.

On a homoleg bike in LOS, no specs are supposed to be altered without DLT approval and note in page 18. In most countries specs can be altered to other pre approved specs, like change stock CE approved lights to another design CE approved light. CE in Europe, DOT in US.

I get it, but I don't get it... If you change something like a sprocket or brake pads or let's use a real simple example- tires. If one goes from from the stock Bridgestone to a Pirelli are you saying the modification has to be noted in the green book? You see how silly it can get... :crazy:

I get it, but I don't get it... If you change something like a sprocket or brake pads or let's use a real simple example- tires. If one goes from from the stock Bridgestone to a Pirelli are you saying the modification has to be noted in the green book? You see how silly it can get... :crazy:

Exactly what I was saying earlier.. There should be a spec, and if it meets the spec its legal.. Like having an annual road test in the west.

Otherwise to take it to extremes, you can change a blown bulb, and its suddenly 'not legal' and needs a new inspection performed in bangkok.. Just ridiculous.

But its not the only nuts thing.

I was quite happy that the Bangkok DMV at Morchit allowed by Gixxer to pass inspection with tail tidy and ludicrously loud race exhaust (and they wouldn't even accept a tip!) :lol:

mygixxer2.JPG

I guess if Richard was an inspector he would have impounded my bike? :whistling:

Happy Trails!

Tony

That's one of the things I love about Thailand, the ermm.... flexibility you might say of the system :lol: :jap:

Exactly what I was saying earlier.. There should be a spec, and if it meets the spec its legal.. Like having an annual road test in the west.

Otherwise to take it to extremes, you can change a blown bulb, and its suddenly 'not legal' and needs a new inspection performed in bangkok.. Just ridiculous.

But its not the only nuts thing.

Dont know where the line is, in Europe one homoleg comes with a variety of wheels/tyres, engine outputs, gearboxes, lights (halogen/xenon) etc, and all good as long as CE approved. US similar, as long as DOT approved.

Here there is fortunately no requierment of CE or DOT approved, but as said I dont know how much you can replace/mod and still be 100% legal. Tyres make, sure, size, dont know. Sports bars, dont know. Can, no not really, not approved with this emission and noise.

What we are discussing here is not what we get away with, but what is legal

When I pointed out my Sportsbar on transfer ownership, they liked it, but when I asked about noting in page 18, it was may bel rai.

Edited by katabeachbum

............. You can be ticketed for illegal modifications (easily resolved with a little tea money) but your claim that motorcycles have been seized just because the tail lights / turn signals were modified is ludicrous. Perhaps you have some proof? A link? No? I didn't think so... :rolleyes:

If you need proof, BBB, just pay a visit to any of the dozen or so bike pounds in and around Pattaya where bikes are held pending being returned to stock spec after exhausts and/or lights have been changed.

I've never heard of them having to be re-tested, but I can assure you that seizing modified bikes happens frequently in Chonburi (as is paying the custodian to release the bike without it having been returned to stock). A Thai friend of mine had his CBR 150 seized twice: the first time for a non-stock exhaust, even though he wasn't riding it at the time (it was parked, and they simply waited until he returned) and the actual sound was no louder than the original; the second time was because the bike was fitted with alternating brake/indicator lights when braking - recommended in many countries, but not approved in Thailand.

It may not happen in Bangkok, but in Chonburi and especially around Pattaya it happens all the time.

It may not happen in Bangkok, but in Chonburi and especially around Pattaya it happens all the time.

Of course infamous Pattaya BiB. Its nothing to do with illegal bikes, just another excuse/way of extortion.

At a road block, I got hit for 400B because I wasnt showing a rego sticker. My explanation that my bike had red plates and was waiting for the rego to go thru their system didnt wash.

Took my keys so no option but to go and pay (meaning the motorbike taxis standing by were doing a roaring trade also!! (My bike bought/reg in Rayong)

Stand your ground and fight for your rights.......sure, Cost heaps more in time and money..........and while you are doing that your name has been added to the list of touble makers. Means more hasles everytime you need deal with them.

Ive almost finished a rebuild of my CBR 400 with new fairings etc, Im too scared to go anywhere near Pattaya with it.

Edited by visions

mygixxer2.JPG

Happy Trails!

Tony

Dear Mr. Giovanni,

I'm often told that I not use correct English, and so I maybe not understand it all correct also. Therefore, my question, what do you really want me to do... ??

Of course infamous Pattaya BiB. Its nothing to do with illegal bikes, just another excuse/way of extortion.

At a road block, I got hit for 400B because I wasnt showing a rego sticker. My explanation that my bike had red plates and was waiting for the rego to go thru their system didnt wash.

Took my keys so no option but to go and pay (meaning the motorbike taxis standing by were doing a roaring trade also!! (My bike bought/reg in Rayong)

Stand your ground and fight for your rights.......

Rather a waste of time and effort fighting for your rights when you are technically in the wrong. Unless you had the red book for the temporary plates with you, properly filled in, you were driving the bike illegally as it was registered in another province (Rayong, not Chonburi). I agree with you in principle, but there are so many illegally modified/driven bikes around Pattaya that they don't need to extort money from the drivers - they get plenty from legal fines!

Stopping the number of bikes they do may be short-sighted when tourists are fined for minor infractions (no licence on hired bikes, etc) and a pain for some others, farang and expat, but like it or not it does make a difference to the yaa-baa carriers and those carrying concealed knves and guns, who are frequently caught at these check points.