Recommendations For Fishing Ponds In Thailand

victor2107

Bungsamran in Bangkok is a must, you will never feel such power as when you hook into a Mekong, cost 1000 bht per day 500 for rod hire, 500 for Lum cow(bait) 1000 bht for guide, if you want to fish from a bungalow there are different prices from 800 bht to over 5000 bht for the day.

Bungsamran in Bangkok is a must, you will never feel such power as when you hook into a Mekong, cost 1000 bht per day 500 for rod hire, 500 for Lum cow(bait) 1000 bht for guide, if you want to fish from a bungalow there are different prices from 800 bht to over 5000 bht for the day.

Went to ngau nam today and its harder to fish there but there was a guy pulling out big mekongs bigger then i usually see at bungsamran. Nice and quiet there too.... but it requires more skill and patience.

Went to ngau nam today and its harder to fish there but there was a guy pulling out big mekongs bigger then i usually see at bungsamran. Nice and quiet there too.... but it requires more skill and patience.

Don't you work? :lol: I am thoroughly jealous, working from home you pretty much choose your own hours.

I haven't been in ages. It's probably time for me to get out the rods again.

Don't you work? :lol: I am thoroughly jealous, working from home you pretty much choose your own hours.

I haven't been in ages. It's probably time for me to get out the rods again.

Yes i work from home.. but dont be too jeallous next month ill be working 31 days non stop and more then a few evenings too. That is just the nature of my work.

What i've found fishing Shadow is that it seems more susceptible to weather conditions than other lakes.

What i've found fishing Shadow is that it seems more susceptible to weather conditions than other lakes.

Is shadow lake easy to get to form the Koh San Road area, and how much should I expect to pay for a guide, I does not say on the link posted above. I fished bungsamran Ran last year on Holidays and found it a great days fishing but pretty expensive and with the state of the euro now, I need a cheaper option in the BKK or

Kanchanaburi area.

Is shadow lake easy to get to form the Koh San Road area, and how much should I expect to pay for a guide, I does not say on the link posted above. I fished bungsamran Ran last year on Holidays and found it a great days fishing but pretty expensive and with the state of the euro now, I need a cheaper option in the BKK or

Kanchanaburi area.

WIth a taxi sure you can get to shadow lake, its not that hard. I doubt that there are guides i never seent hem actually.

My dad and bro are comming over for me and fishing. I will go to 3 ponds

- Ngau nam 150 b/t rod

- Sakuna 100 b/t rod (not 100% sure others can correct me)

- Bungsamran 1000 b/t a rod (most expensive and dual pricing 400 for thai 1000 for farang)

I will only go to bungsamran for my bro otherwise i give it a pass if i cant get in for Thai price. Its a principle matter.

- Ngau nam 150 b/t rod

- Bungsamran 1000 b/t a rod (most expensive and dual pricing 400 for thai 1000 for farang)

I will only go to bungsamran for my bro otherwise i give it a pass if i cant get in for Thai price. Its a principle matter.

I agree with you on the principle thing.

I got in for Thai price after showing my Thai D/L, but my sister and neice pay full whack.

- Ngau nam 150 b/t rod

I agree with you on the principle thing.

I got in for Thai price after showing my Thai D/L, but my sister and neice pay full whack.

I can understand that my brother and father who are tourist would have to pay more. But like i said i only go there for them because its a pond you have fish once. It is famous. Most of my time i can be found at ngau nam. Its a lot more quiet and a lot more challenging.

Thanks for all who replied. I understand the ponds are in different area/provinces. I will be holidaying for a month in Thailand this December - first week in Phuket then to Bangkok and intend to make short trips for a bit of fishing.

As my time is limited, the wife allows a week of fishing, I hope to fish in ponds recommended by anglers and not tour company. One tour compant recommended I try freshwater stingray but I want FISHES. The question is the fishing must be good to justify the time travelling to the ponds. And should I engage a fishing tour company?

Thank you

If you intend on fishing in isolated natural waters ie rivers,lakes then I would recommend you use a tour guide.On commercial fisheries I personally would not use them.Most of the fishing techniques are quite basic and some

research will show you the methods.Most of the larger commercial places will have a Thai guide/owner that can help you with bait selection/mixes etc.Even most of the Thai fishermen would aid you with any information you'd require.

Spud's right. Think about it, its the same as fishing any new water. Look at what the locals are doing, replicate, ask questions, but the locals a beer if needs be to fine tune your tactics, but guides are not really needed, especially in commercial stocked lakes.

There are many many fishing ponds in Thailand but unless you are going to for a holiday at, for example Koh Samui then I will fish at Topcats and Hua Hin Greenfield Fishing Resort or Cha Am.But I will fish at these ponds only if I am going there again for a holiday. Most anglers come to Thailand to fish for Carps(Siamese,Julian Prize,Rohu,big head etc),arapamais,snakeheads,barramundi,alligator gars and catfish(mekongs,asian,red tail,chao phraya). And what are the preferred methods-baiting,luring,spinning or fly fishing) And what do you wish to catch?

Also depends how much devotion and time for travelling to ponds and money. I am not keen to engage fishing tour company as the ponds I like are ones I had make repeative visits do provide guides either inclusive of fishing price or at Bungsamran which provide guides at 1000bahts. Fishing tour company is only good if you are not familiar to locate fishing ponds then they fetch you from hotel to and fro to pond so its a matter of convienience,time and calculating difference in cost and time if you go on your own.

Every angler wants to catch every species of fish but dream of the "ultimate. Mine is a a very big Siamese Carps at least 80kg which I have not acheived. And Bungsamran is the place if I ever hope to catch one. In Thailand there are not many species in catch and release ponds.

1) Bungsamran - no other reason than there are really big Mekongs and Siamese Carps,world famous and convieniently located in Bangkok. Take a taxi anywhere in Bangkok to Bungsamran and fare is decent. I dare say anyone that fish here will catch a fish but only what and what size Surprisingly although there are few thousands Siamese Carps very few are caught each day most days none. The species here are Siamese Carps,mekongs,patins,pacus and arapamai. Here is just baiting no spinning,luring or fly fishing. One or a couple of days for normal fishing is more than enough cause likely one will be catching mostly patins and mekongs. but I met this amazing German who came to Thailand for the sole purpose to fish-he was alone- who live in one of the bungalows and fished 7 days and nights in Bungsamran. For me the challenge here are big Siamese Carps. One could fish on the central pier or book a bungalow. In my opinion bungalows 1, 29 and 30 are favourite for big mekong and Siamese Carps. If targeting big Siamese Carps on central pier than get as close to restaurant. I have done day and night fishing both have good bite rates but very high bite rates between dawn and 8am. For those who bring their own tackles and are fishing for few days you can rent locker to store for 50baht for 24hours, 300baht per month or 3000baht per year. Bigger bungalows-well more expensive ones have aircon,tv,bedroom and they even provide towels.Food and drinks are reasonable.

2) IT Lake Monster - good for luring,spinning,baiting(lum or dead bait). A good 2hours plus drive from Bangkok to Ratchaburi. Once drove there from Bangkok at 330am to reach pond 6am and another time stayed at the local hotel terribly boring at night.There are 2 prices one for luring and then baiting from 1pm and one for whole day baitng. Here one can catch red tail catfish,asian catfish,stripped catfish etc ,arapamais,tambarqui,red and black pacus,alligator gars,barramundi. There are mekongs,chao phrayas too. Basically the pond selling point is "predator fishes" and also one could do a bit of spinning,luring,baiting and fly fishing. On site fishing guides are free they will assist you but of course they expect tip. There are drinks but if you want food the staff will buy whatever you want from the town. Next year there will be another pond exclusively for carp fishing just like Paradise Lake in France and some bungalows. Standard price for locals and farangs

3) Gillham's - located in Krabi very conducive fishing environment. Standard charge for everyone include 2 rods and sufficient bait for a day fishing. Only one rod can use dead bait-small mackerels. Here have the same species catfish (red tail,asian,mekongs,chao phraya etc), carps(siamese,julien etc) but here for this price relative to cost the prize here is to land a 100kg arapamai. Also one could do fly fishing. Food and drinks are reasonable but nothing much to do at night if you live on site unless you like moonlight swimming. On site guides are free but anglers are encouraged communal tipping-there is a tip box at bar counter.

If you live on site fishing starts at 6am to 8pm and if one go there for the day starts at 8am. Standard price for locals and farangs.

4) Ma Saring(Mae Hong Son) - a couple of hours drive from Chiang Mai. Fishing at it's best if you love mother nature and luring. But a bit of a hassle as one have to apply for permit to fish and travelling-fly/drive/trek to reach the river to catch Thai Mahseer and nothing else. Like to go again but tedious journey.

I am not keen to catch snakehead but I went to Krasso Lake once and I will never ever go again just like Boonmar-once- it's a barramundi FARM which the owner capitalise for lurers. The fishing locations I mentioned I will visit again as they offer a wide species and targeted ones. The most expensive ticket in every fishing pond in Thailand is to catch arapamais-Bungsamran do have big ones but price is 20,000baht but they assured you you will catch one , they can run 3 to 4 rods but the price is for only ONE Arapamai so depends on luck it could be over in 30 minutes. Catch one and it's all over. Sawai Lake-Phuket Fishing Park- charge 5000baht to fish arapamais and I heard conflicting to how big and how many are in the pond. The last I heard there is only ONE in the pond and if caught I don't think it's so idiotic to be caught again. So compare price at Gillham's and IT is better option as one can catch arapamais and other species.

And I didn't post cost of fishing cause it's easily accessible through the internet.

There are many ponds,lakes,resevoirs in Thailand but where and what do anglers wish/want to catch is normally convenience and proximity? And what method of fishing? But one have to make time,travel to catch your dream fish . Just like in the UK every carp fanatic throughout the years want to catch this huge carp nickname "two tone" and it's only caught once or twice a year. Well the fish "passed away" recently and they built a small headstone to remember it.

So where you wish to fish depends on many factors likely proximity I fished at many in Thailand but those I mentioned are ones that cover most species. Value for money. haha. I encourage forummers to post their local ponds and what anglers can expect to catch. At present my local pond was Sawai Lake - Phuket Fishing Park - which I don't intent to go anymore- and I have nothing positve to post.

Well Victor2107 this is my take of fishing in Thailand if you have limited time.

Thanks for the info. Checked prices for some of the fishing ponds you guys recommended the price is pretty ok.

Will visit Bungsamran and a few other ponds the question is which ones. As a keen angler i would like fish at many different ponds as possible but due to time constraint and likely wife's attitude towards fishing guess I have to selective and go to good ponds.

There are many many fishing ponds in Thailand but unless you are going to for a holiday at, for example Koh Samui then I will fish at Topcats and Hua Hin Greenfield Fishing Resort or Cha Am.But I will fish at these ponds only if I am going there again for a holiday. Most anglers come to Thailand to fish for Carps(Siamese,Julian Prize,Rohu,big head etc),arapamais,snakeheads,barramundi,alligator gars and catfish(mekongs,asian,red tail,chao phraya). And what are the preferred methods-baiting,luring,spinning or fly fishing) And what do you wish to catch?

Also depends how much devotion and time for travelling to ponds and money. I am not keen to engage fishing tour company as the ponds I like are ones I had make repeative visits do provide guides either inclusive of fishing price or at Bungsamran which provide guides at 1000bahts. Fishing tour company is only good if you are not familiar to locate fishing ponds then they fetch you from hotel to and fro to pond so its a matter of convienience,time and calculating difference in cost and time if you go on your own.

Every angler wants to catch every species of fish but dream of the "ultimate. Mine is a a very big Siamese Carps at least 80kg which I have not acheived. And Bungsamran is the place if I ever hope to catch one. In Thailand there are not many species in catch and release ponds.

1) Bungsamran - no other reason than there are really big Mekongs and Siamese Carps,world famous and convieniently located in Bangkok. Take a taxi anywhere in Bangkok to Bungsamran and fare is decent. I dare say anyone that fish here will catch a fish but only what and what size Surprisingly although there are few thousands Siamese Carps very few are caught each day most days none. The species here are Siamese Carps,mekongs,patins,pacus and arapamai. Here is just baiting no spinning,luring or fly fishing. One or a couple of days for normal fishing is more than enough cause likely one will be catching mostly patins and mekongs. but I met this amazing German who came to Thailand for the sole purpose to fish-he was alone- who live in one of the bungalows and fished 7 days and nights in Bungsamran. For me the challenge here are big Siamese Carps. One could fish on the central pier or book a bungalow. In my opinion bungalows 1, 29 and 30 are favourite for big mekong and Siamese Carps. If targeting big Siamese Carps on central pier than get as close to restaurant. I have done day and night fishing both have good bite rates but very high bite rates between dawn and 8am. For those who bring their own tackles and are fishing for few days you can rent locker to store for 50baht for 24hours, 300baht per month or 3000baht per year. Bigger bungalows-well more expensive ones have aircon,tv,bedroom and they even provide towels.Food and drinks are reasonable.

2) IT Lake Monster - good for luring,spinning,baiting(lum or dead bait). A good 2hours plus drive from Bangkok to Ratchaburi. Once drove there from Bangkok at 330am to reach pond 6am and another time stayed at the local hotel terribly boring at night.There are 2 prices one for luring and then baiting from 1pm and one for whole day baitng. Here one can catch red tail catfish,asian catfish,stripped catfish etc ,arapamais,tambarqui,red and black pacus,alligator gars,barramundi. There are mekongs,chao phrayas too. Basically the pond selling point is "predator fishes" and also one could do a bit of spinning,luring,baiting and fly fishing. On site fishing guides are free they will assist you but of course they expect tip. There are drinks but if you want food the staff will buy whatever you want from the town. Next year there will be another pond exclusively for carp fishing just like Paradise Lake in France and some bungalows. Standard price for locals and farangs

3) Gillham's - located in Krabi very conducive fishing environment. Standard charge for everyone include 2 rods and sufficient bait for a day fishing. Only one rod can use dead bait-small mackerels. Here have the same species catfish (red tail,asian,mekongs,chao phraya etc), carps(siamese,julien etc) but here for this price relative to cost the prize here is to land a 100kg arapamai. Also one could do fly fishing. Food and drinks are reasonable but nothing much to do at night if you live on site unless you like moonlight swimming. On site guides are free but anglers are encouraged communal tipping-there is a tip box at bar counter.

If you live on site fishing starts at 6am to 8pm and if one go there for the day starts at 8am. Standard price for locals and farangs.

4) Ma Saring(Mae Hong Son) - a couple of hours drive from Chiang Mai. Fishing at it's best if you love mother nature and luring. But a bit of a hassle as one have to apply for permit to fish and travelling-fly/drive/trek to reach the river to catch Thai Mahseer and nothing else. Like to go again but tedious journey.

I am not keen to catch snakehead but I went to Krasso Lake once and I will never ever go again just like Boonmar-once- it's a barramundi FARM which the owner capitalise for lurers. The fishing locations I mentioned I will visit again as they offer a wide species and targeted ones. The most expensive ticket in every fishing pond in Thailand is to catch arapamais-Bungsamran do have big ones but price is 20,000baht but they assured you you will catch one , they can run 3 to 4 rods but the price is for only ONE Arapamai so depends on luck it could be over in 30 minutes. Catch one and it's all over. Sawai Lake-Phuket Fishing Park- charge 5000baht to fish arapamais and I heard conflicting to how big and how many are in the pond. The last I heard there is only ONE in the pond and if caught I don't think it's so idiotic to be caught again. So compare price at Gillham's and IT is better option as one can catch arapamais and other species.

And I didn't post cost of fishing cause it's easily accessible through the internet.

There are many ponds,lakes,resevoirs in Thailand but where and what do anglers wish/want to catch is normally convenience and proximity? And what method of fishing? But one have to make time,travel to catch your dream fish . Just like in the UK every carp fanatic throughout the years want to catch this huge carp nickname "two tone" and it's only caught once or twice a year. Well the fish "passed away" recently and they built a small headstone to remember it.

So where you wish to fish depends on many factors likely proximity I fished at many in Thailand but those I mentioned are ones that cover most species. Value for money. haha. I encourage forummers to post their local ponds and what anglers can expect to catch. At present my local pond was Sawai Lake - Phuket Fishing Park - which I don't intent to go anymore- and I have nothing positve to post.

Well Victor2107 this is my take of fishing in Thailand if you have limited time.

It never ceases to amaze me how expats pass comments to holidyamakers about how to go about there fishing without EVER once putting themselves in the holiday makers shoes, almost without exception expats try and put off holiday makers from using tour companies for the obvious reason they are ina postion to do it all themselves...if holidya makers where all in that postion for all services then of course tour companies in any field would not exist.

If a holiday maker wants to get the best out of the Thai fishing scene within a short space of time, and is prepared to spend a little more to do exactly that and use a professional service, then he's got more sense than the ones I see trying to find answers on an expat forum on which all the contributors have long since forgot what it means to be a "tourist".

It never ceases to amaze me how expats pass comments to holidyamakers about how to go about there fishing without EVER once putting themselves in the holiday makers shoes, almost without exception expats try and put off holiday makers from using tour companies for the obvious reason they are ina postion to do it all themselves...if holidya makers where all in that postion for all services then of course tour companies in any field would not exist.

If a holiday maker wants to get the best out of the Thai fishing scene within a short space of time, and is prepared to spend a little more to do exactly that and use a professional service, then he's got more sense than the ones I see trying to find answers on an expat forum on which all the contributors have long since forgot what it means to be a "tourist".

I think fishingtours have their place however in BSR they are not really needed as they provide Thai guides there for the tourists. I have watched tour companies just hire thai guides while the white guy who is also a guide does not do a thing. So the guy is not working and only costing extra.Other lakes far out Bangkok i agree then they have their place there.

I think fishingtours have their place however in BSR they are not really needed as they provide Thai guides there for the tourists. I have watched tour companies just hire thai guides while the white guy who is also a guide does not do a thing. So the guy is not working and only costing extra.Other lakes far out Bangkok i agree then they have their place there.

I will be a tourist, also a keen angler, in Thailand this December. Although this is an expat forum it's also a fishing forum for Thailand. Here I am seeking advice for where to fish in Thailand with the hope of some info on fishing conditions. Instead rufanuf to quote "then he got more sense than the ones I see trying to find answers on an expat forum on which all contributors have long since forgot what it means to be a "tourist". Does it mean I have no sense to seek advice from fellow anglers living in Thailand where to fish. Regardless of tourist or expats all are fellow anglers and these is the forum I hope to seek advice from as a fellow angler. If for eg you are an expat living in Bangkok and you travel to Chiang mai,a city you never been to, to fish, aren"t you a 'tourist' too?

As to 'tourists' using fishing tour companies I am sure most have enough sense whether to or not to engage one. As for the advice from robblok I will not engage a tour company when I visit BSR instead hire a guide.Also to zoso quote " Fishing tour company is only good if you are not familiar to locate fishing ponds then they fetch you from hotel to and fro to ponds,so it's a matter of convienience,time and calculating dfference in cost and time if you go on your own." This statement didn't discourage 'tourist" from engaging tour companies but to do your planning and budgeting.. These are good advices.

As to where to fish, expats and "tourists", first and foremost we love fishing, we want information on where, cost, travelling and condition of the ponds. As for the ponds that have dual price then decide as an angler whether it's worth to fish. I will visit Bungsamran as it's world famous with the hope of catching a big fish. I am sure most "expats" have visisted Bungsamran, as a tourist or expat, once even there is a dual price policy. If I am not mistaken fellow angle quicksilva suggested "expats" post locations,cost,reviews etc of ponds they visited which is good idea.

So do I have "less sense" than most holidaymakers that engage tour companies. The most important factor is whether the fishing is good and is it worth it. Just like going for a dinner at a restaurant. To put bluntly it's just food so does it matter if you visit michelin stars restaurant and pay more for quality,ambient,service and good food.

This is a fishing forum.Just post information,opinions,reviews,photos and let the individual decide.

Edited by victor2107

As expats we are not really advising holiday makers on what to do or pay.

Of course holiday makers can ask questions and draw on our experience and the information that we choose to share. Most of us here are happy to help.

However, you are unlikely to see many glowing reviews of tour companies by the resident expat anglers here though, because most of us don't use them.

I am at times 'anti-tour companies'. I think they charge high rates for a service which I don't really need. (Not knocking their business at all, good luck to them. They provide a service which is useful for holiday makers)

As expats we have the luxury of visiting our local spots often, so have the time to learn the techniques and nuances needed to catch fish there.

Would I use a guide to fish elsewhere in Thailand? Hmm only if they could get me access to locations that would be otherwise inaccessible to me.

I prefer to do some homework and tackle new waters myself. Its part of the appeal of fishing, to me.

Victor, if you want to go it alone (you can probably get a local guide at the lakes themselves) then you might be interested in my Google maps project which identifies the location of many freshwater fishing parks in Thailand.

Bungsamran, Fishing World and many others are there.

If you have google maps on your phone, you can save it and use it to find the park yourself when you arrive.

You can access it direct here

http://goo.gl/EuG6

or via my blog here

http://bangkokburt.wordpress.com/freshwater-fishing-spots-in-thailand/

Edited by quiksilva

I will be a tourist, also a keen angler, in Thailand this December. Although this is an expat forum it's also a fishing forum for Thailand. Here I am seeking advice for where to fish in Thailand with the hope of some info on fishing conditions. Instead rufanuf to quote "then he got more sense than the ones I see trying to find answers on an expat forum on which all contributors have long since forgot what it means to be a "tourist". Does it mean I have no sense to seek advice from fellow anglers living in Thailand where to fish. Regardless of tourist or expats all are fellow anglers and these is the forum I hope to seek advice from as a fellow angler. If for eg you are an expat living in Bangkok and you travel to Chiang mai,a city you never been to, to fish, aren"t you a 'tourist' too?

As to 'tourists' using fishing tour companies I am sure most have enough sense whether to or not to engage one. As for the advice from robblok I will not engage a tour company when I visit BSR instead hire a guide.Also to zoso quote " Fishing tour company is only good if you are not familiar to locate fishing ponds then they fetch you from hotel to and fro to ponds,so it's a matter of convienience,time and calculating dfference in cost and time if you go on your own." This statement didn't discourage 'tourist" from engaging tour companies but to do your planning and budgeting.. These are good advices.

As to where to fish, expats and "tourists", first and foremost we love fishing, we want information on where, cost, travelling and condition of the ponds. As for the ponds that have dual price then decide as an angler whether it's worth to fish. I will visit Bungsamran as it's world famous with the hope of catching a big fish. I am sure most "expats" have visisted Bungsamran, as a tourist or expat, once even there is a dual price policy. If I am not mistaken fellow angle quicksilva suggested "expats" post locations,cost,reviews etc of ponds they visited which is good idea.

So do I have "less sense" than most holidaymakers that engage tour companies. The most important factor is whether the fishing is good and is it worth it. Just like going for a dinner at a restaurant. To put bluntly it's just food so does it matter if you visit michelin stars restaurant and pay more for quality,ambient,service and good food.

This is a fishing forum.Just post information,opinions,reviews,photos and let the individual decide.

Victor,

You have sense enough, no tour company needed for bungsamran but a fishing guide is advised the first time. I raised the question of dual pricing. I dont discourage people going to BSR but normally I boycot them. However in November / December my parents come here and we will go to BSR because like you said its famous.

I think there are plenty helpful people here and i consider myself helpful too. :D

Just ask around here and people will help you. I think most ponds can be done without a fishing company if your an adventurous tourist and are willing to do some research. If your fishing a lot (more as 6 days) you might even consider buying your own rod and bringing a reel from your home country (if you got strong stuff).

Thank you quiksilva,robblok,zoso,spud21 and kenny999 for your advice. Yes I intent to purchase a heavy tackle to fish in Thailand. Apparently from what I read you guys use heavy line, I am more a carp, lure,fly fisherman. What are the recommendaiton for rod, reel and line.

I will be in Phuket during the first week of December and if I fish in Phuket I will contact you kenny999. After that I will be in Bangkok, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai and where else my wife wishes to visit. I have a permit for 7 days fishing. Really looking forward to it the fishing. And I welcome company for my fishing trips.

Thanks again

Thank you quiksilva,robblok,zoso,spud21 and kenny999 for your advice. Yes I intent to purchase a heavy tackle to fish in Thailand. Apparently from what I read you guys use heavy line, I am more a carp, lure,fly fisherman. What are the recommendaiton for rod, reel and line.

I will be in Phuket during the first week of December and if I fish in Phuket I will contact you kenny999. After that I will be in Bangkok, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai and where else my wife wishes to visit. I have a permit for 7 days fishing. Really looking forward to it the fishing. And I welcome company for my fishing trips.

Thanks again

If you like baitcasting or the other kind casting one. I prefer baitcasting, but then i would buy a shimano baitrunner 6500 or 4500 at bsr (but its expensive so you have to be sure to use it at home too... or buy the 4500 its smaller and can be used in other countries too). Then buy not at BSR a rod (rods are expensive at BSR). Use a 40 lb mono or 50 lb braid.

Completely agree, although will add that the 6500b (I have two) is also useful for sea fishing both here in Thailand and abroad. They are fine reels and you'll get use out of them wherever you are. (Unless fishing for minnows or gudgeon :) )

I got one 6500 and 2 4500 and one 3500. Sure you can use the 6500 for anything but it is a bit heavy on lighter rods that is why i suggested the 4500 if its not dedicated to only big fish.

I usually have a 4500 on a carp rod and the 6500 on the rod i use for the pla bug.

Agree with you guys the older model 6500 Shimano baitrunner is still one of the better reels to fish in Thailand. Real hardy and reliable. I bought to try the new Shimanos latest baitrunner models 4000D,6000D and 2 8000D-made in Malaysia- but I sold them off real cheap as I didn't like them.

The 6000D had problem so to rectify it had to send it to Bangkok in May 2010 and till now it's not repair due to no spare parts. 6 months.