Recomendations/Contact For A Reliable Mototaxi Driver In Phnom Phen

jaideeguy

Does anyone who has traveled to Phnom Phen recently have phone or internet contact for a reliable, trustworthy motorcycle taxi driver that speaks decent English to show me around PP for a few days in Nov??

I could weed thru the many available there, but if anyone has their favorites and want to give them a few days work, then please share details.

any idea what a day's hire would cost??

thanks in advance.......

As there will be more than one of you, you'll be happier in a Tuk Tuk of which there are many. It is also safer both in terms of accidents and purse/camera snatchings, which do happen. The motorcycles here drive like they do in Bangkok and worse.

Last time I did it, maybe 2-3 years back, ran around $5/day if you did not go beyond the city center, obviously need to negotiate additional for any occasion when you go far. It is also common (but not compulsory), if you rent the same Tuk Tuk for an extended period, to give an additional tip at the very end of your stay according to your level of satisfaction.

I can't recommend anyone in particular but they are all over the place, just chat up a few around where you stay to assess their English and get a feel for their personality/character.

If you will be going around solo and prefer a Moto, my nephew can take you, doesn't speak English but understands enough to know where you are asking to go and 100% reliable. but I'd really recommend Tuk Tuk instead esp in the rainy season.

As there will be more than one of you, you'll be happier in a Tuk Tuk of which there are many. It is also safer both in terms of accidents and purse/camera snatchings, which do happen. The motorcycles here drive like they do in Bangkok and worse.

Last time I did it, maybe 2-3 years back, ran around $5/day if you did not go beyond the city center, obviously need to negotiate additional for any occasion when you go far. It is also common (but not compulsory), if you rent the same Tuk Tuk for an extended period, to give an additional tip at the very end of your stay according to your level of satisfaction.

I can't recommend anyone in particular but they are all over the place, just chat up a few around where you stay to assess their English and get a feel for their personality/character.

If you will be going around solo and prefer a Moto, my nephew can take you, doesn't speak English but understands enough to know where you are asking to go and 100% reliable. but I'd really recommend Tuk Tuk instead esp in the rainy season.

Thanks Sheryl for your tips and info. It will be me [solo] traveling, unless I find someone to join me and will consider sharing taxi or tuk tuk. Also, thanks for your recomendation for your nephew, but English is a big qualification for me.

Indo.....your message didn't come across.

My search might extend to a 'water taxi', as I would like to explore the rivers around PP.....but again English speaking is a big plus. Any ideas what a water taxi would cost per day??

There aren't any water taxis AFAIK and nowhere much to go in Phnom Penh via one if there were. It's not like Bangkok, no klongs etc. There are 2 rivers that come together at Phnom Penh and then separate again, the Tonle Bassac and the Mekong. They lie completely to one side of the city and form the eastern boundry of it, they don't go through it. The outskirt areas on the other side for the most aren't anything interesting, and also don't have any klongs, you just go across the river and there are plenty of bridges for doing that.

Might be worth going to Chroy Changvar to see the sunset over PP, but that's easily done via bridge.

Have your dates been confirmed? As if I am still here we can get together for a cup of coffee.

There aren't any water taxis AFAIK and nowhere much to go in Phnom Penh via one if there were. It's not like Bangkok, no klongs etc. There are 2 rivers that come together at Phnom Penh and then separate again, the Tonle Bassac and the Mekong. They lie completely to one side of the city and form the eastern boundry of it, they don't go through it. The outskirt areas on the other side for the most aren't anything interesting, and also don't have any klongs, you just go across the river and there are plenty of bridges for doing that.

Might be worth going to Chroy Changvar to see the sunset over PP, but that's easily done via bridge.

Have your dates been confirmed? As if I am still here we can get together for a cup of coffee.

Hi Sheryl....

Would really like to finally meet you in person after all the thaivisa exchanges we've had over the years. My itenerary is to arrive Oct 29 in SR for 2-3 days, then head down to PP and spend a few more days until Nov 5 am. Trying to arrange some river trips out of PP, but I've found that it is not so doable and may make bus trips instead. Have made some contacts and will sort thru them and maybe play it by ear.

I plan to get a Cam sim card for my Thai cel and can send it via PM to you. Will you be in country in early Nov??

Hope we can connect while there.....

J