Is There Something The Matter With Me?

IanForbes

I hope you was touching wood while you wrote this post! :D

after living here for nearly 8 years I can say the same as well on nearly all accounts. I think some people bring a lot of bad luck on themselves by being pessamistic and doubtfull all the time.

its not all roses but most of the time I am enjoying it here.

Don’t worry, Ian, you're not alone! To your list I want to add having had numerous items shipped to Thailand via DHL, FedEx and a few others without EVER being subject to anything that even resembles corruption or attempts to scam the farang. I tried telling that to a few posters here on TV and got the same treatment as you.

Just smile and live with it - remember that you make your own luck in this world, people tend to forget that every now and then.

When I hear both on here and in real life about some of the debacles that occur between westerners and their Thai spouses it makes me query my own normal life as abnormal.

" So MCA, what'd you get up to at the weekend?"

"Nothing special mate. Needed a new telephone so took a stroll down Tukcom and then had a picnic at Ubolratana Dam on Sunday. How about yourself?"

" Well, the wife accused me of having a bit on the side on Saturday morning and went for me with a kitchen knife. After I'd been stitched up and had a blood transfusion I had to report to the police station becuase she'd filed a report saying that I hit her. On the way to the cop shop I had an accident and because I was drunk did a runner and hid in a ditch for 3 hours. Then on Sunday I was kicked out of our house due to the fact that without my knowledge the missus had remortgaged the place to pay off her gambling debts and hadn't paid the repayments for 6 months. Oh and her "cousin"is in fact her Thai husband and she's pregnant by him. Pretty quiet really"

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

When I hear both on here and in real life about some of the debacles that occur between westerners and their Thai spouses it makes me query my own normal life as abnormal.

" So MCA, what'd you get up to at the weekend?"

"Nothing special mate. Needed a new telephone so took a stroll down Tukcom and then had a picnic at Ubolratana Dam on Sunday. How about yourself?"

" Well, the wife accused me of having a bit on the side on Saturday morning and went for me with a kitchen knife. After I'd been stitched up and had a blood transfusion I had to report to the police station becuase she'd filed a report saying that I hit her. On the way to the cop shop I had an accident and because I was drunk did a runner and hid in a ditch for 3 hours. Then on Sunday I was kicked out of our house due to the fact that without my knowledge the missus had remortgaged the place to pay off her gambling debts and hadn't paid the repayments for 6 months. Oh and her "cousin"is in fact her Thai husband and she's pregnant by him. Pretty quiet really"

:thumbsup:

I never get drunk and that might save me from being a victim

Bingocool.gif

Not being drunk helps you avoid the small pitfalls, but if you want to avoid the big ones you need to be thinking with the brain in your head, not the one between your legs. That's usually the root of men's problems in Thailand.

I feel prety much the same as you Ian.

I had been living and traveling in Thailand quite happily for several years before I settled down got a computer and found this site before realizing what a terrible place this Thailand is

+1 on that.

Agreed, think it's one very own nature, mood displayed and how one interacts with the surrounding world and the people.... and much of those "Halloween stories" do lack the background, I believe it's always only half the story.

Living here for almost 2 decades I have seen a lot of people and how they got themselves into trouble, but then they are always pleading innocent. :whistling:

I never get drunk and that might save me from being a victim

Bingocool.gif

Not being drunk helps you avoid the small pitfalls, but if you want to avoid the big ones you need to be thinking with the brain in your head, not the one between your legs. That's usually the root of men's problems in Thailand.

Agreed, but I can't think with the head between my legs, cos it's not mine. When it comes up for air (or some impromptue dentistry :o ) I have been know to ask its opinion but I am always mindful to weight the answer according to the percieved IQ of said head and potential ulterior motives.

Being sober is a great bit of advice for thailand, you are right! Sadly, being mullured is half the reason many chaps cum here. :huh:

The other half we read about on here for shits and giggles.

You must just be a bit of a cruiser

:lol: That definitely has 2 meanings where I come from

Really? <deleted>? Okay, now that I've thought about it, it also has two meanings where I am from. A 'Cruiser' is someone that takes it easy OR a Toyota Landcruiser.

Anyway, I hope that has cleared this up for you. :unsure:

Really? <deleted>? Okay, now that I've thought about it, it also has two meanings where I am from. A 'Cruiser' is someone that takes it easy OR a Toyota Landcruiser.

The urban dictionary is your friend

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cruiser

Actually a cruiser can have a much different meaning. It also involves wearing multicoloured hankies in your back pocket. Al Pacino classic scene shown below. Which colour are you? ph34r.gif I have seen the dew rags on hiso heads in Thailand, usually the yellow ones.

Warning: Do not blame me for the ensuing nightmares after viewing this clip.

i know how you feel . i,ve spend the best part of 4 years coming to thailand . with about 2 years spent altogether in that time .. i never had any problems or even must a bus or plane . nothing even went wrong for me. but of course one of the reasons is that i never drink . so i,m not around bars at all . and i smile alot and so fouth . respect goes along way in thailand . thats what you have for thais and they can see it.

I hope you was touching wood while you wrote this post! :D

after living here for nearly 8 years I can say the same as well on nearly all accounts. I think some people bring a lot of bad luck on themselves by being pessamistic and doubtfull all the time.

its not all roses but most of the time I am enjoying it here.

We seem to be similar people to the poster onenut lol.

I have encountered one problem in 7 years and it was a stupid,drunk english guy who was being nasty to a thai girl.Am i doing something wrong,should i get realy pissed and shout and scream at thais or be a nice guy to them.I have many friends who are thai and i think they are wonderful people.Cannot do with all the moaning an whinging of some people on here,but i do retaliate when some nob comes on and says Pattaya is a shithole and Bangkok is wonderful.Both can be a huge shithole and both can be perfect to live in.

• Like 1

With all due respect I think you miss the point of a discussion forum. It's foremost a place to discuss problems, issues and difficulties we face as foreigners in Thailand. Therefore it's obvious that you'll see more negativity than you'll generally encounter in day to day life. If someone has a problem with a corrupt official or an overcharging business then they need to vent. Within Thailand we are often powerless to question or challenge what happens to us. Thaivisa is the perfect place to discuss and resolve (to some extent) any issues we have.

There are many on this forum that feel the discussion and reactions to any issues are an insult and offensive to Thailand. They're not. It's what a discussion forum is, and always has been. Sure you'll get the odd nutcase and troll, but you should be able to see these guys a mile off.

I appreciate your post telling us how wonderful your life is, but we'd all find another site to use if all posts were in similar ilk.

Edited by JiveTalker

With all due respect I think you miss the point of a discussion forum. It's foremost a place to discuss problems, issues and difficulties we face as foreigners in Thailand. Therefore it's obvious that you'll see more negativity than you'll generally encounter in day to day life. If someone has a problem with a corrupt official or an overcharging business then they need to vent. Within Thailand we are often powerless to question or challenge what happens to us. Thaivisa is the perfect place to discuss and resolve (to some extent) any issues we have.

There are many on this forum that feel the discussion and reactions to any issues are an insult and offensive to Thailand. They're not. It's what a discussion forum is, and always has been. Sure you'll get the odd nutcase and troll, but you should be able to see these guys a mile off.

I appreciate your post telling us how wonderful your life is, but we'd all find another site to use if all posts were in similar ilk.

This is a forum, we talk and are friends in the main but never meet face to face. It's nice on occasions to read something eeer nice, instead of reading problem after problem so l really don't know where your coming from. Perhaps your a lonely person and has never experienced friendship, l don't know, but from your comment you really should mix more. :)

"You're"

I use real life to experience friendship. You may need to use the Internet to meet people, but others have an active social life already. I enjoy reading the forum, and find it useful at times, but it's not something I use for social needs.