Warnings Issued: New Thailand Red Shirt Demonstrations Could Turn Violent

webfact

Warnings Issued: New Thailand Red Shirt Demonstrations Could Turn Violent

BANGKOK: -- Foreigners are warned by US Embassy, Bangkok, to use caution in Bangkok and in and around Chiang Mai as the Red Shirts begin yet another demonstration which could turn violent as the 4th Anniversary of the ousting of Prime Minister Thaksin and the fourth month anniversary of the end of the Red Shirts protests ending coincide later this month.

Thailand Red Shirt demonstrations this month could turn violent. Political demonstrations in Bangkok and northern Thailand will mark the fourth anniversary of the September 2006 coup and the four-month anniversary of the end of the 2010 demonstrations in Bangkok.

Supporters of the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD or “Red-Shirts”) are organizing activities that will include September 17 wreath laying at prisons where UDD members are being held and a vehicular procession from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, where participants will join UDD activities on September 19.

On September 19, UDD supporters in Bangkok plan gatherings at Thammasart University and Democracy Monument. The UDD is scheduled to hold a rally in the Ratchaprasong between approximately 1700 – 1900 hours; about 2,000 people are expected to participate. UDD supporters in Chiang Mai plan to assemble in the area of the Chiang Mai railroad station proceed to the ThaPae Gate area, then march along the moat that surrounds the old city, and then rally at the Municipal Sports Stadium. UDD supporters could also gather at the Three Kings Monument and at the Grand Worarot Hotel (near Wat Phra Singh). These areas are frequented by foreign tourists. Other possible demonstration sites include government buildings and military and police installations. UDD gatherings in other provinces across northern Thailand are also likely on September 19.

To read more, please click: http://pattaya-times.com/a6303-thailand-red-shirt-demonstrations-could-turn-violent

pattayatimeslogo.png

-- Pattaya Times 2010-09-16 footer_n.gif

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Smartraveller advisory service

The following Travel Advice has changed or been added since our last update ( 7 Sep 2010 20:02:10 EST):

* Thailand

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

Current Advice Level: "High degree of caution"

Change Summary:

This advice has been reviewed and reissued. It contains new information under Safety and Security: Civil Unrest/Political Tension

(possibility of increased violence and protests in the lead up to 19 September 2010 and recent explosive device attacks in Chiang Mai).

The overall level of the advice has not changed.

For you ardent religious folk, do you honestly still believe there is a god after all that has come to pass with this bunch? As a CM resident, I just hope those with balls in their draws come down on them like a ton of bricks if there's so much as a mouse fart... although why they are even allowed to do their thing is beyond me. They should be shown no quarter given their MO.

• Like 1

the whole world will be expecting voilence of some sort because of what happened last time.

for me it really worries me because I have a business in the area thats going to get screwed again if it turns nasty. to be honest business was not good when these guys were just marching through but when they started throwing grenades we lost a lot of earnings and we have only just started to bounce back.

also, because of them coming back to try again possibly with a vengeance I cant take my little boy to work with me as I normaly would do on a Sunday! so again we both miss out which is ashame.

some of you may think I am being selfish but we went through the ringer last time and its a pain in the arse. I am not looking forward to it and I hope if there is voilence the armed forces come in fast and put a stop to it.

To play safe, IMHO, all people are advised to leave Thailand. I am not saying that violence could happens, what what if . . . . There is an English saying. Better safe than sorry.

Will the last one close the door please?

They love cleaning up ashes. To Thais stopping or preventing a fire doesnt fit their mental skill set!

BTW ashes and fire are a metaphor for any cause and affect situation .

I would think a good Buddhist country would be taught this. Thais must have been absent that day.

I do see people organizing and communicating for that event quite a lot and they are pretty exited. But I don't think anything happens like before. But then, who knows. There's still a hardcore out for trying to cause troubles. Hopefully they have them under control. Most of the folks are rather nice and unskilled in communicating their needs and this shouldn't be interpreted as something primitive. It's time for Thais to wake up, either way. We all know that it can't continue the way as it is now.

At worst it could turn out as a "Blitz Krieg" - :lol:

the whole world will be expecting voilence of some sort because of what happened last time.

for me it really worries me because I have a business in the area thats going to get screwed again if it turns nasty. to be honest business was not good when these guys were just marching through but when they started throwing grenades we lost a lot of earnings and we have only just started to bounce back.

also, because of them coming back to try again possibly with a vengeance I cant take my little boy to work with me as I normaly would do on a Sunday! so again we both miss out which is ashame.

some of you may think I am being selfish but we went through the ringer last time and its a pain in the arse. I am not looking forward to it and I hope if there is voilence the armed forces come in fast and put a stop to it.

Couldn't agree more. My entire business operates on international contracts coming to Thailand. 2006 September, all my contracts cancelled. They were just coming good again around Songkran in 2007 and the red assw*pes started putting petrol canisters on top of gas cylinders. That took care of what had just started to recover until October 2007 I lost a year of income from those two incidences - not one baht and nearly went down the tubes! Then the gates opened back end of 2008 and things started to get back on track until the last session.

Last time I was carrying little protection against these thugs and I had my doors kicked and a mirror broken off my car car when I came across a bunch of motorcyclists who were looking for some trouble. They could not get in so they took it our on my car. I have rectified this with steel ARB bars front and rear and brush bars down the side of the 4WD. This has left me with more than a penchant of running down any problem and I believe this time if things turn shitty I will use whatever means to distance myself from these thugs. As a Farang we are a target, make no mistake but this time ... whatever it takes to protect my property! I have had enough of this thuggery and as the police do nothing and are simply 'observers' then I would suspect little will occur if one defends oneself. I would not hope to be put to the test but right now I am at least prepared. I wonder if the motorcyclist mobs are?

mad.gif

• Like 1

To play safe, IMHO, all people are advised to leave Thailand. I am not saying that violence could happens, what what if . . . . There is an English saying. Better safe than sorry.

Will the last one close the door please?

I think you meant..."Will the last one light the fuse and then close the door please?"

Couldn't agree more. My entire business operates on international contracts coming to Thailand. 2006 September, all my contracts cancelled. They were just coming good again around Songkran in 2007 and the red assw*pes started putting petrol canisters on top of gas cylinders. That took care of what had just started to recover until October 2007 I lost a year of income from those two incidences - not one baht and nearly went down the tubes! Then the gates opened back end of 2008 and things started to get back on track until the last session.

Last time I was carrying little protection against these thugs and I had my doors kicked and a mirror broken off my car car when I came across a bunch of motorcyclists who were looking for some trouble. They could not get in so they took it our on my car. I have rectified this with steel ARB bars front and rear and brush bars down the side of the 4WD. This has left me with more than a penchant of running down any problem and I believe this time if things turn shitty I will use whatever means to distance myself from these thugs. As a Farang we are a target, make no mistake but this time ... whatever it takes to protect my property! I have had enough of this thuggery and as the police do nothing and are simply 'observers' then I would suspect little will occur if one defends oneself. I would not hope to be put to the test but right now I am at least prepared. I wonder if the motorcyclist mobs are?

mad.gif

I once saw this video about a BMW outfitted with flamethrowers that came out of the undersides of the car on a push of a button. THAT would come in handy about now. I wonder who has the distribution rights in Thailand?

Will the Protest/Demonstration be Peaceful or not?Depends on what orders the Puppet Master has Decreed?

If not violent (hopefully)then there will surely be Headline Grabbing Publicity Stunts,and good Photo Shoots.

This man does not spend his money on damp squib marches,with no impact.

There is another English saying:

Dont use a Sledghammer to crack a Nut!

• Like 2

mad.gif

I'm sincerely sorry for the losses you incurred at the hands of those thugs. However, you have now demonstrated that your issue with the reds is personal. That doesn't make it invalid of course, but since the forces that mobilise the various players in this game are ideological rather than personal I don't see how your views can contribute to achieving what everyone wants - a peaceful settlement acceptable by all sides.

Trying to discuss ways out of this problem with people like you would be like telling a Palestinian family deprived of a father, son etc by the Isreali army that Iraelis are really okay to live with. It's a non starter. Understandably so, but it just doesn't help us get where we're going, does it?

Hold on to your hatred if you really want to, but don't stifle efforts for a constructive way out by superimposing your personal loss over the wider issues at hand.

Thanks. ;)

• Like 2

For you ardent religious folk, do you honestly still believe there is a god after all that has come to pass with this bunch? As a CM resident, I just hope those with balls in their draws come down on them like a ton of bricks if there's so much as a mouse fart... although why they are even allowed to do their thing is beyond me. They should be shown no quarter given their MO.

Oh and the yellow shirts can do what they want, man are you misimformed on whats really happening in Thailand

Anyway I thought under a state of emergency in Bkk demos weren't allowed. Am I missing something.

• Like 1

Anyway I thought under a state of emergency in Bkk demos weren't allowed. Am I missing something.

Yep. You missed about a thousand posts over the last 2 weeks discussing just that.

Yep. You missed about a thousand posts over the last 2 weeks discussing just that.

Wow...I seemed to have missed them also....

Wow I got my big Up dated from the State Department by e mail this morning - Its not a warning it a standard update.

The State Department takes not special issue with these protests they would not issue of maybe any other protests by any group. Of the total maybe 5% of the information release even covers the protests or politics past or future and three times as much space is given other safety issues like traffic and condom use.

Spin doctors are working overtime at the Nation.

@asiawatcher "As a Farang we are a target, make no mistake" They have med's that can help you.

About your truck I now understand why they included the road safety warnings, and be safe out there - use a condom.

Pattaya is really so very quiet at present. I live down by the beach between Pattaya and Jomtien and the local guest houses are empty and the restaurant staff just sit around watching TV most of the day. Just what we need , more violence in the streets!

Did that two years ago now and don't regret a single second of it, except for a very few friends I left behind.

When the wife goes back to visit she'll be on her own.