Thai Asks Farangs

rakloke

สวัสดีครับ

ผมทราบดีว่าคนไทยมีปัญหาสงสัยและอยากถามถึงความหมายของคำหรือวลีในภาษาอังกฤษ คุณๆเจ้าของภาษาคงไม่ว่ากันนะครับ

ถ้าเป็นไปได้ก็ขอให้ตอบเป็นภาษาไทย แต่ถ้าภาษาไทยของท่านยังไม่ดีพอ จะตอบเป็นภาษาอังกฤษก็ได้ หรือปนๆกันไปก็ไม่ว่ากัน

เริ่มวลีแรกเลยนะ

Hi there

ช่วยแปลคำว่า there ด้วยนะครับ

เอาแค่นี้ก่อน ยังมีตามมาอีกเยอะ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hi there" เป็นวลีหรือ 'fixed pattern' คำ 'there' ไม่มีความหมายในรูปประโยคนี้

"Hi there" มีความหมายว่า "ว่าไง" "เป็นยังไง" หรือ "สวัสดี" แต่เป็นทักทายไม่เป็นทางการครับ

Well, I will give this a try. Warning: my spoken Thai is ok. My written Thai........ummmmmm....you may have to use your imagination quite a bit.

"Hi there!" I would say means something like ว่ายังงาย It is pretty informal (กันเอง) but not impolite (ไม่ใซ่ไม่สุภาพ).

Does that help? Is this the kind of information you are looking for?

Agree with you there Mike, but not sure about the ไม่สุภาพ bit. Doesn't it depend on whose saying it to who? I know we're a lot less rigid than Thai culture when it comes to formality, but meeting complete strangers in some formal setting could make this inappropriate at best.

What d'ya think?

Hi There Dobadoyrolleyes.gif

We cross-posted. If I had seen yours, I wouldn't have chipped in. Your answer is better than mine. Moreover, upon reflection, I have to agree that ไม่สุภาพ is notquite right. How about ไม่ใซหยาบคาย. And since American English, in particular I think, tends to be informal in general, I would propose a scale from 1 (most informal) to 10 (least informal). And I would put "Hi there" at 5 or 6. Not something you would say to the President of the US, certainly. But not something you would reserve for only your closest friends either.

The originial poster may be learning more about this than he/she wanted to know. jap.gif

Sorry for the mixture of fonts--haven't figured out how to get formatting right inside TV.com and using cut and paste from onenote to avoid having stuff vanish into cyberspace ends up making my (edited) posts look like extortion notes

ขอบคุณทั้งสองท่านเลยสำหรับคำตอบ

ผมสรุปวิธีใช้ hi there ดังนี้

มันเป็นคำทักทายทีี่เทียบเคียงกับภาษาไทยว่า " ว่าไง" แม้จะมีความไม่เป็นทางการแต่ก็ไม่ถือว่าหยาบคายอะไร ใช้กันทั่วไปไม่ได้จำกัดอยู่เฉพาะในกลุ่มเพื่อนสนิทเท่านั้น แต่ไม่เหมาะเลยที่จะใช้กับคนแปลกหน้าโดยสิ้นเชิง หรือใช้กับผู้หลักผู้ใหญ่ของบ้านเมือง

คำถามต่อไปครับ ผมเห็นในยูทูป กีฬาโอลิมปิคเยาวชน 2010 ที่เพิ่งผ่านไปนั่นแหละ ตอนชิงเหรียญทอง 100 เมตรชาย

If you did your research you would know that Skeen was way too cocky leading up to this race.

ผมไม่ค่อยคุ้นกับภาษาอังกฤษที่ใช้พูดนัก โดยเฉพาะแสลงหรือสำนวน เพราะไม่รู้จะไปพูดกับใคร จึงคุ้นกับภาษาเขียนมากกว่า

ขอถาม คำว่า "way" และ "cocky"

นอกจากให้คำแปลแล้ว คำอธิบายเพิ่มเติมอื่นๆ เช่น มีความเป็นทางการ/ไม่เป็นทางการ ใช้กับคนสนิทเท่านั้น ฯ ก็จะขอบคุณมากเลย

Haha, "he was way to cocky" ถึงว่า เขามีความมันใจเกินไป แล้วคนที่อวดดีคนอังกฤษจะเรียกว่า "cocky bastard".

คำนี้เป็นแสลงและไม่เป็นทางการแน่นอนครับ

Edited by dobadoy

way too = เป็นภาษาไม่เป็นทางการ แปลว่า มากเกินไป (คำว่า too ก็แปลว่า มากเกินไป อยู่แล้ว แต่การเติมคำว่า "way" ก็เป็นการเน้นให้มากขึ้น)

ในภาษาพูดคำว่า way แปลว่า มาก เช่น "That was waaaay boring" = น่าเบื่อมากกก

cocky = มั่นใจในความสามารถของตนเอง หยิ่งในความเก่งของตนเอง

way too cocky = มั่นใจเกินควร มั่นใจเกินเหตุ

There's a famous talk show host in America, Rush Limbaugh (hold the boo's, I'm trying to make a point. Just be patient) who used to say that he wouldn't offer an opinion on a given subject until he had heard from listeners, because once he had offered his opinion, there just wasn't anything else to say, so it would ruin his radio show. (One could never be completely sure whether he was serious or tongue in cheek about this, but never mind)

For both of the forum followers who have hung in with me until now, here is the point.....I love Rikker's contributions, but once Rikker has spoken, what else is there to say???? Sigh!jap.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by mikenyork

Ha, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm hardly a substitute for the native speakers on the forum, though, who are the real heroes for putting up with our questions!

I also like this thread. It's a great idea--it challenges us to use Thai, and it reciprocates the language learning.

[Edit: ต้องขอโทษด้วยที่ไม่ได้เขียนโพสท์นี้เป็นภาษาไทยครับ :P]

ขอบคุณคุณโดบาดอย (อ่านถูกป่าว) ที่ให้ผมรู้จักศัพท์ใหม่ cocky bastard

คุณริกเกอร์ ภาษาไทยยอดเยี่ยมมากครับ ทั้งภาษาพูดและภาษาเขียน สมกับที่เป็นมอดเดอเรเต้อร์ แต่รูปอวตารของคุณดูน่ากลัวจัง

คุณนายเกร๊ก ที่บอกว่า Hi there น่าจะตรงกับ " วัสดี " คนไทยใช้รูปย่อของสวัสดีว่า " หวัดดี " มากกว่านะครับ พวกเด็กวัยรุ่นชอบใช้กัน คงไม่เหมาะกับผู้ใหญ่นัก

คุณไมค์ครับ "hold the boo's นี่ แปลว่า "อย่าเพิ่งโห่" ใช่ไหม?

เอาละ ผมว่าผมเข้าใจ way แล้วละ แต่ถามอีกนิดว่า มันเกี่ยวข้องกับคำว่า very ไหม / เป็นรูปย่อของ very หรือเปล่า

I also like this thread. It's a great idea--it challenges us to use Thai, and it reciprocates the language learning.

[Edit: ต้องขอโทษด้วยที่ไม่ได้เขียนโพสท์นี้เป็นภาษาไทยครับ :P]

What he said (both the English and the Thai).

I had half a fear this thread might bet shut down as not being about Thai, so I'm glad Rikker's given it an official seal of approval. Though I'm probably not good enough/confident enough to join in the answers, I am both enjoying and learning from reading the replies.

Let's have more of this please (and I might even have a go at an answer sometime if everyone promises not to laugh...:ph34r: )

BTW, as a Brit who's had plenty of occasion to use the expression "cocky bastard", I'd also point out it is used for people who think (using another colloquialism) they are 'hard' / tough guy / macho men. Would นักเลง capture this idea - I've always been a bit confused over the exact connotation of this Thai phrase (there I go, off topic again...)?

Edited by SoftWater

ขอบคุณคุณโดบาดอย (อ่านถูกป่าว) ที่ให้ผมรู้จักศัพท์ใหม่ cocky bastard

คุณรักโลก จริงๆนะ สะกดนาม "dobadoy" อย่างไรไม่รู้ เป็นภาษาลูกๆ ของผม แปลว่าอะไรไม่รู้เหมือนกัน!!

edit: เวลาลูกๆพูด ออกเสียงจะแบบนี่: "โตะ-ปะ-ด๋อย"

Edited by dobadoy

เอาละ ผมว่าผมเข้าใจ way แล้วละ แต่ถามอีกนิดว่า มันเกี่ยวข้องกับคำว่า very ไหม / เป็นรูปย่อของ very หรือเปล่า

คุณรักโลก

ผมยืนยันว่าคำ way ส่วนมากใช้ในภาษาแสลงของอเมริกาหมายถึง very คุณคิดถูกต้องแล้ว แต่ว่าที่บ้านเราใช้ภาษาเดิมของอังกฤษแล้วไม่มีใครใช้คำนั้นเท่าไรนะครับ

ขอบคุณด้วยที่ให้นักศึกษาภาษาไทยโอกาศที่ฝึกพิมพ์ได้นะครับ

:jap:

คำว่า way ที่ใช้ในความหมายว่า very, extremely เป็นศัพท์สแลงค่อนข้างใหม่ ที่เว็บไซต์ Etymonline.com (เว็บเกี่ยวกับที่มาของคำและสำนวนในภาษาอังกฤษ) เขาบอกว่า

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=way

Adverbial meaning "very, extremely" is early 1980s, perhaps from phrase all the way.

แึสดงว่าความหมายนี้เพิ่งเกิดขึ้นตอนต้นทศวรรษ 1980 น่าจะเป็นสแลงวัยรุ่นในสมัยนั้น(มั้ง) แต่ที่เขียนว่า perhaps ก็แสดงว่าเจ้าของเว็บไม่มีหลักฐานที่ชัดเจนว่าคำว่า way ได้ความหมายนี้มาอย่างไร แต่อย่างไรก็คงไม่ใช่รูปย่อของ very นะครับ

You can't treat 'way' and 'very' as synonyms as a general rule.

That's way cool! = that's very cool

That's way out of order = that is very wrong

OK, but compare with:

It's way past your bedtime = It's a long way past your bedtime

NOT its very past your bedtime

It's way beyond my means = It is much more than I can afford to pay

NOT its very beyond my means

You also have to distinguish between 'way' and 'way too':

That girl is way too good for him = She is more than he deserves

NOT That girl is very too good for him

That's way too much for a mobile phone! = That mobile phone is too expensive

NOT its very too much / its very much for a mobile phone

Edited by SoftWater

Some corrections;

It's way past your bedtime = It's a long time past your bedtime

It's way beyond my means = It is much more than I can afford to pay

That's way too much for a mobile phone! = That mobile phone is much too expensive

In David's dialogue 'way' can be understood in two different senses of either possibility or credibility

Possibility:

No way = that is impossible

Way! = No, it is entirely possible

Credibility:

No way = That can't be true/ I don't believe it

Way! = it is true / you better believe it.

Now, can someone bring us back to answers in Thai? (sorry :ph34r: )

ขอบคุณทุกๆท่านเลยที่ช่วยอธิบายจนผมมึนงงไปหมด

คุณซอฟวอเต้อร์ให้คอนเท็กท์ประกอบมาเยอะแยะไปหมด ขอบคุณครับ แต่ภาษานี่ต้องใช้ประจำจนคุ้นชินจึงจะเป็นของง่าย ถ้าต้องจดจำก็จะกลายเป็นเรื่องยากทันที ที่คุณให้ตัวอย่างมานั่น ความหมายของ way หลากหลายมากกกก อีกอย่าง คุณซอฟไม่ต้องเขินหรอกที่จะตอบผมเป็นภาษาไทย ก็บอกแต่แรกแล้วว่า "เราไม่ว่ากัน" เพราะภาษาอังกฤษของผมก็ยังห่างจากเจ้าของภาษาอีกบานตะไท

ยังมีอีกคำถามหนึ่งที่ผมถามคุณไมค์ว่า "hold the boo's" หมายถึง "อย่าเพิ่งโห่ " ใช่หรือไม่ ไม่ทราบว่าคุณไมค์รู้ตัวหรือเปล่าที่ผมถาม ถ้างั้นขอให้คุณริกเกอร์ตอบแล้วกัน ผมเชื่อว่าคุณริกเกอร์ใช้ภาษาไทยได้เกือบ/พอๆกับคนไทยทั่วๆไปเลยละ

ถ้าไม่เข้าคำบางคำที่ผมพิมพ์มานี่ ก็ถามได้นะ ยินดีที่จะอธิบายให้ฟัง(อ่านต่างหาก) ถือซะว่าเรามาแลกเปลี่ยนเรียนรู้จากกันและกัน

"hold the boos" หมายถึง "อย่าเพิ่งโห่ " ใช่หรือไม่

Yes, it means don't boo.

I think it's a little softer and perhaps less serious than just "don't boo" and is sometimes used in the context of don't boo right yet, there's some extra information coming that might change your mind about booing.

Maybe some others can add to that.

Hope that helps.

Edited by katana

ยังมีอีกคำถามหนึ่งที่ผมถามคุณไมค์ว่า "hold the boo's" หมายถึง "อย่าเพิ่งโห่ " ใช่หรือไม่ ไม่ทราบว่าคุณไมค์รู้ตัวหรือเปล่าที่ผมถาม ถ้างั้นขอให้คุณริกเกอร์ตอบแล้วกัน ผมเชื่อว่าคุณริกเกอร์ใช้ภาษาไทยได้เกือบ/พอๆกับคนไทยทั่วๆไปเลยละ

ถูกแล้วครับ hold the boo's แปลว่า อย่าเพิ่งโห่ = "don't boo just yet" (แต่่ที่จริงตามหลักแล้วต้องเป็น boos ไม่ใช่ boo's มีตัว s เพราะเป็นพหูพจน์ ไม่ใช่ 's ที่แสดงความเป็นเจ้าของ)

ขอบคุณ คุณ คาทานะ และ คุณริกเกอร์ ที่เข้ามายืนยันว่าผมเดาความหมายของวลีนั้นได้ถูกต้อง

ในบทความที่กล่าวถึงสุนทรพจน์ของนายมามู้ด อมาดิเนจ๊าด ประธานาธิบดีอิหร่านที่พูดถึงความไม่ดีของระบบทุนนิยมที่องค์การสหประชาชาติ มีคอมเม้นท์ของนายคริส888 เขียนไว้ว่า

" He has no wienie, thus is a very unhappy man"

อยากทราบว่า "wienie" คืออะไร

Sorry, to add to the English :wai:

In England we would use 'far' ; 'That girl is far too good for him' or 'much too good for him'

That's way too much for a mobile phone! = That mobile phone is much too expensive That's far too much for a mobile phone!

In David's dialogue 'way' can be understood in two different senses of either possibility or credibility

Possibility:

No way = that is impossible

Way! = No, it is entirely possible

Credibility:

No way = That can't be true/ I don't believe it

Way! = it is true / you better believe it.

I think this one is shortened, quite understandably, from; There's no way that that can be true/possible

Now, can someone bring us back to answers in Thai? (sorry :ph34r: )

:)

คุณ บอยดี้ครับ

อ่านคำตอบแล้วขำ LOL เพราะคาดไม่ถึงว่าจะเป็นตรงนั้น

เรียกมันว่า " อวัยวะเพศชาย " หรือ " องคชาติ " ดีกว่านะผมว่า

คำว่าควยจะใช้พูดกับเพื่อนสนิทมากกว่ามั้ง และส่วนมากมักใช้ในการอุทานหรือด่ากันแบบหยาบๆของเด็กวัยรุ่น

แล้ว "อมาดิเนจ๊าดไม่มีค-ย" มีความหมายแฝงหรือเปล่า ช่วยบอกที

I would say that "wiener" is equivalent to something like ไอ้จู๋ or maybe นกขาว. It is certainly not as rough as ค_ย It is, as I think has already been pointed out, slang. Its usage would vary a lot with time, region, probably even class. In my own (American, Midwest) experience it was a word we used with our mothers when we were children (before puberty). The official word corresponding to อวัยวะเพศชาย , on the other hand, is penis.

ขอบคุณครับคุณไมค์

ผมว่า wienie ควรแปลว่า ไอ้จู๋ เพราะคำนี้บรรดาแม่ๆมักใช้กับลูก

ผมขอแก้คำว่า "นกขาว(a white bird)" เป็น "นกเขา(dove)" นะครับ

คำว่า นกเขา มักใช้ในวงการหนังสือพิมพ์ คงเพื่อไม่ให้ฟังหยาบคายละมั้ง

แล้ว "เขา(อมาดิเนจ็าด)ไม่มีไอ้จู๋" มีความหมายแฝงที่นายคริส888ต้องการสื่อถึงอะไรหรือเปล่า Do you think the clause "He(Ahmadinejad) has no wienie" has any connotation in it?

I take your question to be "Does the choice of the word wienie (as opposed to any other euphemism for penis that might have been chosen) have any significance in and of itself?" In the absence of any other evidence to indicate that the writer was trying to imply that not only did this person not have a penis (meaning that he was not a 'real' man), he was child-like (that is he didn't have, specifically, a wienie), I would not think there was any specific inference to be drawn from the choice of this specific word. If I were to use a Thai phrase that I think is equivalent, I would say Amenijadไม่ไข่ลูกผู้ชาย

คุณรักโลกครับ

ขอโทษที่พูดไม่สุภาพในคำตอบแต่ว่าจริงๆผมไม่ได้ตั้งใจที่ด่าใครเป็นคำแปลเฉยๆ

ขอบคุณครับ