Pattaya Monorail?

Dirk_brijs

What a joke

I dare anyone here on this forum to give me one VALID reason why Pattaya needs a monorail and I will give you 50 why Pattaya doiesnt need one.

I am not supporting this little money making project of Itipon at all but then a gain I guess he doesnt give a flying sh... what people in Pattaya really think does he?????

Maybe? thats why they are not repairing the roads, removing footpaths instead of adding them to them so we will be forced to use the skytrain. :annoyed:

Next they will be adding cycle paths throughout the city..... :whistling:

Cycle paths throughout Pattaya now that would be a great idea so that for sure will never ever happen!!!!

Maybe? thats why they are not repairing the roads, removing footpaths instead of adding them to them so we will be forced to use the skytrain. :annoyed:

Next they will be adding cycle paths throughout the city..... :whistling:

Cycle paths throughout Pattaya now that would be a great idea so that for sure will never ever happen!!!!

They've made cyclepaths in Bangkok now, down the pedestian pavement along Sukhumvit, they're mostly used by motocy taxis.

So they could do it in Pattaya, but they'd have to improve the pavements or the motocy taxis will refuse to use them.

Existing public transport around Pattaya is cheap, frequent and reliable, so the monorail would only be of benefit as a tourist attraction.

I could imagine it would be quite popular if it ran along the coast from the north of Naklua all the way to the end of Bang Saray beach (with, perhaps, a corkscrew loop in front of Central Beach Mall). ;)

I'm kind of for it, although I do acknowledge negative points too, as there is with most things I suppose.

Anyway, possible valid reasons, just off the top of my head?...

During prolonged heavy rain / flooded Beach Road & Second Road, would allow more people to continue about their business, in stead of being stranded.

If they plan it well enough, join the monorail to a yet to be built multi-story parking at Sukhumvit end of North Road and at Central Road, where visitors to Pattaya (for example weekend visitors from Bangkok) could park and get the monorail around the city. Would then cut down on road congestion, air pollution, possible aggressive driving and accidents in the city. I suppose a multi-story parking at North Road might also benefit some who'd use the bus station too. Might also benefit Bangkok taxi drivers who want customers to take back to Airport / Bangkok, but don't want encroach on Pattaya City taxis. I'm kind of deviating here.

Monorail could be a potential tourist attraction (with or without the corkscrew loop – lol). Not everyone wants to go by open air taxi anyway, especially in the rain.

Bring Pattaya into the news in a positive light.

In their vision of the future, they maybe see it as one step closer to being a mini-bangkok-by-the-beach.

Photo vantage points from monorail and station platforms.

Potential reason to spruce up the city, as more of the city will be visible from the monorail.

Allow tourists to stay clear of the suit sellers and green laser pen sellers.

• Like 1

150 views and not one valid reason I think I made a point here lol

I can give you many hundreds of reasons why Pattaya needs a Monorail (or alternative rapid transport) system, they are the cheating b****rds who wear blue shirts and drive blue pick-up trucks.jap.gif

I like the baht buses; they are a cheap and reliable form of transportation. That does not take into account the many beautiful women I have meet on them over the many years I have been using them.

It is true that roughly 3% or so of the drivers are idiots and another 3% drive drunk. Knock on wood, nothing bad has happened to me yet.

As for the monorail, all I have to say is HA, HA, HA. Anybody that thinks this is a good idea for this area has lost their minds. First of all, you will never benefit from it, because all of us on this forum will be dead by the time it is finished.

When they were updating beach road in Pattaya a few years ago, they left a whole in the road and covered it with a metal plate for 2 years right at the corner in front of walking street, probably the most congested and important intersection in the entire city.

As for the road from Jomtien to Pattaya, which I travel on every day, they are now 5 years into this project and are not even close to being finished. For the last 6 months they have not done any work on it all.

In front of my condo, they ripped up all of the sidewalks a year ago and have just left the mess there. Please, building a monorail would just be a disaster.

If they ever start the nuclear plant project that is when I am leaving the country for good. All you have to do is look at what is going on in Bangkok with the BTS line. They have finished well over a year ago 3 additional stations that the city desperately needs that are still not operational.

From what I gather from the news stories I have read on it; and somebody please correct me or update my information if I am wrong. There is a Thai Politian that has 3 years left in office that does not want to approve the purchase of the trains needed for those stations because he does not want to be accused of favoritism.

So, those 3 stations are going to sit there finished for at least 3 more years before they go into operation.

For those of you that think this monorail is a good idea, you just have been here long enough to understand how things operate or you are just having delusions of grandeur, because it will be a total disaster during construction that will take at least 20 years to finish, and that estimate is probably wishful thinking on my part.

Is the monorail for residents so that we reduce traffic on the road? Maybe not, if you refer to the few planned route and stops.

Perhaps it is for tourists? But nobody has ever planned a trip to a place simply because it's got a monorail!!! Especially if the other underlying "attractions" like the beaches are in an appalling state.

Call me a sceptic but the monorail is not likely to produce any tangible benefit especially if our very "competent", "accountable" and "transparent" government of Pattaya has a finger in this very large pie.

So who is the monorail really for? :whistling:

It would reduce traffic and local pollution. Because of the baht bus system, it wouldnt make it easier to get around. Or cheaper. Electric baht buses would accomplish the same. A monorail will need to be done on a larger scale then what is planned, and include naklau and jomtien, and also a bit more inland to the dark side.

Tourist attraction? Why not. If it ran along pattaya beach, over the the hill and all the way down jomtien beach it would be on most tourists to-do list. The russian type that is.

It would reduce traffic and local pollution. Because of the baht bus system, it wouldnt make it easier to get around. Or cheaper. Electric baht buses would accomplish the same. A monorail will need to be done on a larger scale then what is planned, and include naklau and jomtien, and also a bit more inland to the dark side.

Tourist attraction? Why not. If it ran along pattaya beach, over the the hill and all the way down jomtien beach it would be on most tourists to-do list. The russian type that is.

I would like to see a 100 percent reliable, reasonable cost, hopefully green public transport option going from the very end of Jomtien beach road to the very end of Naklua. As it is now, such a trip would take a very long time, would likely involve a very long walk in Jomtien, and multiple baht bus transfers. It would be good for Naklua and far out Jomtien, and give tourists and residents without private transport easy access to some interesting places. Why should far out Jomtien be for people with vehicles only? You can't even walk safely there at night as the restaurants take up the entire sidewalk!

Edited by Jingthing

I would very much welcome a monorail with the following routes:

line 1: Chonburi - Bang Lamung - Naklua - Pattaya (with a 2nd road / Sukhimvit road loop)

line 2: Rayong - Map ta Phut - U-Tapao - Samaesan - Sattahip - Bang Saray - Jomtien - Pattya (also using a 2nd and sukhumvit loop)

Stations in Pattaya on the "loop":

Pattaya Tai 2nd road

Pattaya Klang 2nd road

Pattaya Nua 2nd road

Tesco Lotus

Pattya Bus terminal

Pattaya Railway station

Pattaya Klang / Sukhumvit intersection

Pattaya Tai / Sukhumvit intersection

Pattaya Tai / 3rd road intersection

That would really rock!

Very useful for getting around!

Edited by manarak

Monorail.

Cool.

Why not?

Progress u know.

please read the original post I said valid reasons I presume COOl is your vision of a valid reason???

lets put thousands of people out of business and spend billions of baht cause it is COOL???

please dude

I think a number of valid reasons have been suggested on this thread.

Not sure who are the thousands who would be put out of business?

Am sure a large construction project would create much work for many people.

Like I said Progress.

Monorail.

Cool.

Why not?

Progress u know.

please read the original post I said valid reasons I presume COOl is your vision of a valid reason???

lets put thousands of people out of business and spend billions of baht cause it is COOL???

please dude

I think a number of valid reasons have been suggested on this thread.

Not sure who are the thousands who would be put out of business?

Am sure a large construction project would create much work for many people.

Like I said Progress.

For sure...thousands would not be put out of work. Actually, if done properly, it would draw more tourists and thus create more jobs! :D

Subway.

I'ld be up for that, well for the construction anyway.

Seriously, never mind mono rail, the death trap that is Jomtien Beach Second Road needs to be sorted first.

Can't imagine falling off a motorbike there down ,into one of the many unprotected pits in the middle of the road, to be impailed on the 12mm rebar spikes set into concrete footings.

The monorail isn't a bad idea if it would go from Naklua down to Jotien city. But the plan now is like a "token" monorail leaving city hall and arriving at Bali pier-4 stops only. Another progressive idea would be to change the "Baht Busses" to electric and to start painting them in a range of festive colors than the boring dark blue.