Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Sawan Picked As Principal Nuclear Power Plant Locations

webfact

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The construction and operation of nuclear power plants requires a safety culture with no room for negotiation.

Quality in absolutely everything is elementary and essential.

Only then can it be adequately, but never absolutely, safe.

A "questioning attitude" is the basis.

At all levels people are necessary saying ….

"No, I will not do that. It is not safe."

And the boss has to accept.

In a culture where questioning is discouraged, subservience is deeply ingrained, and responsibility is, let's say, a vague concept, developing nuclear power is irresponsible.

Bravo!:clap2: I said this in almost the same terms...

I say, You say. Another 10,000 people say...

So what? The money is too big to pass by!

Given the state of the 3G Mess I am guessing the Nuclear Option they will choose will be lucky to be Chernobyl Quality, and as stated on another thread on this topic by another TV member, if a Thai has any job on these plants other than sweeping the floor outside the compound ill be leaving !

Edited by Seanextra

Why is it that I feel that nuclear power plants in Thailand would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

:(

Probably because that you haven't been keeping up on the changing technology of Nuclear Power. New nuclear power plants do not have the radioactive waste that has been the nightmare of nuclear waste in the past.

Of course these innovations don't mean that their won't be problems. That will depend on how saavy the engineers are designing these facilities are and how greedy the management is.:blink:

I have yet to find a decent electrical plug that does not crackle and spark.

I think this will be another suvarnabhumi (long drawn out, a good little earner for those with their snouts in the trough, and ultimately a waste of resources)

At least its not in my backyard (which was on the cards!)

I suppose Ubon Ratchathani will have its resistance as well, why not the deep south, any objections here?

not to mention the possible danger -, if one includes the cost for the storage of the radioactive waste?

As long as they can't manage a sewage system I don't believe they can manage the storage of radioactive waste.

Just dump it into the sewage system. Out of sight out of mind.

I have yet to find a decent electrical plug that does not crackle and spark.

I think this will be another suvarnabhumi (long drawn out, a good little earner for those with their snouts in the trough, and ultimately a waste of resources)

At least its not in my backyard (which was on the cards!)

If your living in SE Asia then it will be in your backyard. The effects of a meltdown will impact on every country in the region.

Assuming it would ever even get completed....

They can't build roads correctly, build an airport without cutting corners and stealing money, or even earth electric in a house. Who led them to believe they could build a Nuclear power plant?

Lord, save us all.

Agree a disaster waiting to happen, but think of all the money to be made.

They should go with Thorium reactors. The Chinese are building three to power the next generation of energy requirements in China. Completely safe (as in non-radioactive), impossible to use as a military weapon and perfect for power generation. Anything else is just a recipe for disaster and bound to cause friction with Burma, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Japan, USA...

A Thorium reactor can be used to boil water and therefore run steam generators. There is enough Thorium in the world to last for thousands of years of energy production at a fraction of the cost and effort that uranium or other highly radioactive and dangerous elements require. It cannot "melt down" as if it gets too hot it expands and self cools. It is the perfect fuel to use for steam powered turbines heated by the heat from the Thorium nuclear reaction.

With a house in Ubon, and a strong interest in alternative energy, I would agree that if Ubon HAS TO HAVE a nuclear reactor, then this is the only way to go

This relativly safe technology is vastly under funded and under used by the big boys BECAUSE it cannot (with current technology) be used to generate materials for nuclear weapons

Edited by thaimite

Why is it that I feel that nuclear power plants in Thailand would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

They should go with Thorium reactors. The Chinese are building three to power the next generation of energy requirements in China. Completely safe (as in non-radioactive), impossible to use as a military weapon and perfect for power generation. Anything else is just a recipe for disaster and bound to cause friction with Burma, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Japan, USA...

Also do they really want to be making another massive target for power hungry elite to fight over? Isn't there enough division in Thailand already without having to protect the people from the potential of nuclear weapons and radioactive fallout? Can't you just see a certain person salivating over the possibility for manipulation and self promotion with this one?

The only way for thorium reactors to happen is if Thai people get a clue, get vocal and force the issue about not wanting radioactive weapons grade nuclear. Go safe, go green and use Thorium. It's truly the way of the future and will make Thailand a world leader in energy creation.

A Thorium reactor can be used to boil water and therefore run steam generators. There is enough Thorium in the world to last for thousands of years of energy production at a fraction of the cost and effort that uranium or other highly radioactive and dangerous elements require. It cannot "melt down" as if it gets too hot it expands and self cools. It is the perfect fuel to use for steam powered turbines heated by the heat from the Thorium nuclear reaction.

velly intelesting!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium

They can't build roads correctly, build an airport without cutting corners and stealing money, or even earth electric in a house. Who led them to believe they could build a Nuclear power plant?

Lord, save us all.

Agree totally, if Thailand builds a Nuclear Powerplant we will see another Tchernobyl soon.....its a reason to move out or at least away as far as possible from this area.

While other countries step away from Nuclear Power (Germany does) Thailand start building. .....hope they make decisions about the nuclear waste from this facility already and not

just dump it somewhere in the sea like so many other things.

We all know they dont care, money is all what counts and radioactivity nobody can see with its eyes :unsure:

Go for it kiwi you are realy on to it . go green

Also do they really want to be making another massive target for power hungry elite to fight over? Isn't there enough division in Thailand already without having to protect the people from the potential of nuclear weapons and radioactive fallout? Can't you just see a certain person salivating over the possibility for manipulation and self promotion with this one?

The only way for thorium reactors to happen is if Thai people get a clue, get vocal and force the issue about not wanting radioactive weapons grade nuclear. Go safe, go green and use Thorium. It's truly the way of the future and will make Thailand a world leader in energy creation.

Lord, save us all.

Wow?? you are so strong about this opinion. let's watch and see who are building them? I have no clue. ( Thai,Farang, or others Asian engineers ) At this point we have to give the Thai her chance. I am worry about the nuclear waste that the American has. I have been told the Government keeps it in the mountain.. My comment about the Thai New Airport from my 2008 trip that everyone was smoking in front of the sign " No Smoking " even though the Thai Authority went to warn the smokers. The smokers stopped for a second then resumed their activity again...They did not stay inside the room but, they all smoke outside the walkway...Amazing??? My take and opinion.

Lord, save us all.

Wow?? you are so strong about this opinion. let's watch and see who are building them? I have no clue. ( Thai,Farang, or others Asian engineers ) At this point we have to give the Thai her chance. I am worry about the nuclear waste that the American has. I have been told the Government keeps it in the mountain.. My comment about the Thai New Airport from my 2008 trip that everyone was smoking in front of the sign " No Smoking " even though the Thai Authority went to warn the smokers. The smokers stopped for a second then resumed their activity again...They did not stay inside the room but, they all smoke outside the walkway...Amazing??? My take and opinion.

Your English shows that you are Thai and assuming you have lived here for most or all of your life, you should know that the Thai cannot maintain/secure such a dangerous resource. It scares the he_ll out of me!

Edited by Markaew

I don't think this will be left in the hands of the Thais. As far as I know (after talking to people who work in the industry, wish I could post some links on it but right now I don't have time to look), new nuclear power plants have to abide by strict international standards and are heavily monitored and controlled. And you can be sure it will, because if shit happens it's not just Thailand that will be affected.

Edited by peanut

Gee I'm old enough to remember what happened in Chernobyl, Ukraine.

Those Soviets were not newbies by any means as far as the nukes were concerned.

But their safety measures failed due to personal negligence, human error, faulty notification system or whatever.

The magnitude of the disaster was horrendous.

Now from what I have heard they find mutant frogs, snakes with 2 heads and strawberries grow the size of an apple down in that area.

If the nuclear disaster strikes there is no effective way known to deal with it.

In short, it's a very dangerous game they want to play.

Edited by cyberia

Apologies for wandering a bit of topic but I feel that in a situation such as this (if these projects go ahead) and there are safety issue corners found to be cut because somebody influential wanted their piece of the budget pie they should be publicly executed.

I'm not kidding.

Yes I believe your right, all the political money grabbers will want their share, like you said, , and this does leave these planned reactors to be a very scary situation for Thailand. Just remember the new airport and all the trouble they had, and are still having with it. If these are built in Thailand, we all better worry!

I suppose Ubon Ratchathani will have its resistance as well, why not the deep south, any objections here?

Yeah but Reds dont count !!

True reds do not count but not my worry. Better get outside help to operate it! Mai bin rai scares the hel_l out of me where ever the build it.

Yes and I have just the men for the job:

post-46461-004153500 1284959853_thumb.jp