Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Sawan Picked As Principal Nuclear Power Plant Locations

webfact

I am picturing the Thai version of Homer Simpson at the control panel...

What's Thai for "DOH!"?

There is no word for "DOH!" in Thailand. When things go pearshaped here you only hear "mai pen rai" and "arai gaw dai". Quite worrying when operating a nuclear power plant.

I tought that the chinese were about to build dams that potential could change the water levels in Chao Prya river.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As adept as the French or the Canadians or Americans or Japanese are at building nuke plants, none have come up with a good method for disposing of nuclear waste. Can the Thais do better?

The answer has to be a definite "no". I have no concerns about nuclear plants being built, as long as it is by overseas companies with a great deal of experience in such construction and operations. But I am concerned as to where the waste is going to be stored. The chances must be that poorer countries will be paid to store it

I would add the method of execution should be slow and painful. A disease would be great something like the pneumatic plague or Ebola.

"pneumatic plague"  - is that the disease that causes the body to inflate until it explodes?

http://ringaringarosies.tripod.com/id3.html

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/p/plague/symptoms.htm

But if you knew of a disease that would cause the infected to inflate until they explode please share the name.

look up the word 'pneumatic'.

I think he meant pneumonic.

If N Korea, Burma, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, and especially the FRENCH can have Nuclear, why not Thailand? Are you saying we are worst them them? Especially compared to the FRENCH?

You missed the point. It is not about comparison to other countries, it is about security in YOUR country, this is what people on the forum are worried about. Please enlighten us with information about thai companies (100%) who are world leaders of any kind, because of their invention, expertise, responsibility ect.

Hate to say this and even seem condescending, but I think Thailand (by their own fault) owns the branding of seedy nightlife on a global scale. Don't know if it's their invention, but expertise and ability to run a tight ship seems to be their trademark in that arena.

Horrible, horrible, horrible idea for Thailand.

Many countries are moving AWAY from nuclear power for many reasons, including the radioactive waste it creates and how to dispose of it, what makes Thailand think this is a good idea?

I think the best place for a nuclear power plant is at the Cambodian border at the Preah Vihear Temple. Let the waste just trickle down the walls and illuminate the temple walls and skies on both sides of the border. Better yet, this can be a UNESCO joint project between Thailand and Cambodia.

As adept as the French or the Canadians or Americans or Japanese are at building nuke plants, none have come up with a good method for disposing of nuclear waste. Can the Thais do better?

The answer has to be a definite "no". I have no concerns about nuclear plants being built, as long as it is by overseas companies with a great deal of experience in such construction and operations. But I am concerned as to where the waste is going to be stored. The chances must be that poorer countries will be paid to store it

It wouldn't surprise me if one or another country realized there's big bucks in taking other countries' nuclear waste for a fee. My guess: an African or a SE Asian country. Wow, a perfect new gig for Thaksin, who's always on the look-out for groovy new ways to impress small countries - with how much he will invest and/or enrich the gullible countries' leaders. He did it with Nicaragua, with Liberia, A Pacific island (was it Fiji?), ....he did the same with Burma and Cambodia and Ugunda and Dubai and Montenegro. Just one small glitch - he never delivers on his promises, ...but he gets the diplomatic passports and red carpet treatment, and then it's 'bye bye, suckers, I'm off to impress the leaders of another small country.' details

Why is it that I feel that nuclear power plants in Thailand would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

:(

i dont want you guys to fallout , these are, over heated reactors . :annoyed:

if they are designed only 2b water cooled , OMG , bye

which they will be , cheap and nasty. :jap:

Why is it that I feel that nuclear power plants in Thailand would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

:(

i dont want you guys to fallout , these are, over heated reactors . :annoyed:

if they are designed only 2b water cooled , OMG , bye

which they will be , cheap and nasty. :jap:

Great insight from another nuclear expert on TV....Thanks Dr Fermi..:whistling:

The infrastructure here is much better than in the United States (where I come from), including the airports, subways, skytrains, double-decker freeways(particularly the one that runs from BKK to lamcahbangport(sic), and the cell phone service is much more reliable.. and we don't only have nuclear reactors in the US, but we have old ones that are still working with a minimal budget due to endless funding cuts.. lets not forget India, Pakistan, and Iran and their nuclear plants.. so I'm sure this one will be safer than most in the world..

yesterday evening(i'm in bangkok) I was choking on this terrible stench that sometimes lingers here for an hour..I try to close the windows and doors but it still gets in and it makes me sik..it finally went away but today i had headaches..

If nuclear power herer will mean at least a little better air I'm all for it and soon, I wish they were already begining construction because i don't want to wait until 2020..

Assuming it would ever even get completed....

They can't build roads correctly, build an airport without cutting corners and stealing money, or even earth electric in a house. Who led them to believe they could build a Nuclear power plant?

Lord, save us all.

This is bullshit; the notion that.. "The Thai" cannot maintain such a dangerous resource..lets keep in mind the only Thai people that likly have any contact with yourself is a prostitute..there are actually many intelligent and educated Thais in this country, they have an electronics manufacturing industry here that is a global competitor, SET listed firms such as CCET, DELTA etc., these are 100% thai companies, the Thai do alot of technical manufacturing.. and they do a very good job maintaining the new airport, the subways and skytrains, these have operated w/o ANY fatal accidents so far.. if you look down on these people so much why don't you just get the fuc_k out of here.

Assuming it would ever even get completed....

They can't build roads correctly, build an airport without cutting corners and stealing money, or even earth electric in a house. Who led them to believe they could build a Nuclear power plant?

Lord, save us all.

Your English shows that you are Thai and assuming you have lived here for most or all of your life, you should know that the Thai cannot maintain/secure such a dangerous resource. It scares the he_ll out of me!

Edited by pkspeaker

This is bullshit; the notion that.. "The Thai" cannot maintain such a dangerous resource.....

One article making the headlines lately: Serious munitions (weapons and ammo) recently went missing from a Thai military base. The top general said these things happen all too often in Thailand.

Just a few months ago, a few thousand protesters commandeered downtown Bangkok for many weeks. Police didn't act, and the military finally took back the city, ..... 10 weeks later.

These and other such not-so-rare activities in Thailand occur too often and too easily - and bode ill for bringing several big N reactors here. Granted, bad things can happen in any country, but it just seems being bad is easier in Thailand, as the authorities hesitate to act dynamically and/or effectively when the need arises.

I think anyone can agree that a nuclear power plant would be a plum target for any group wanting to get lots of attention.

The only reason the police/military didn't act until weeks later is that they wanted to keep bloodshed to a minimum, and thats what they did, only 1XX ended up dying in the whole thing..if they would have handled it wrong it would have been 1XXX that doesn't mean they can't control the situation if they wanted to.. are you suggesting that the military here would let protesters take over a nuclear powerplant & burn it, or that protestors would even attempt that in the first place. This country has a strong security apparatus; small arms weapons (rpgs, etc.) go missing -that is not a big deal and an RPG is no threat to a nuclear powerplant.

One other note: in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks the FBI interrogated one of the captured alqueda operatives..and he admitted that they had considered flying the planes into a nuclear power plant but decided that the attack might go "out of control" and kill too many people or cause too much environmental damage, so they decided to stick to non-toxic targets like the WTC and pentagon.. not even alqueda would blow up a nuclear powerplant..yet you think Dr. Wen and the red shirts would?? You must have no understanding of the people or situation here..

This is bullshit; the notion that.. "The Thai" cannot maintain such a dangerous resource.....

One article making the headlines lately: Serious munitions (weapons and ammo) recently went missing from a Thai military base. The top general said these things happen all too often in Thailand.

Just a few months ago, a few thousand protesters commandeered downtown Bangkok for many weeks. Police didn't act, and the military finally took back the city, ..... 10 weeks later.

These and other such not-so-rare activities in Thailand occur too often and too easily - and bode ill for bringing several big N reactors here. Granted, bad things can happen in any country, but it just seems being bad is easier in Thailand, as the authorities hesitate to act dynamically and/or effectively when the need arises.

I think anyone can agree that a nuclear power plant would be a plum target for any group wanting to get lots of attention.

Edited by pkspeaker

The only reason the police/military didn't act until weeks later is that they wanted to keep bloodshed to a minimum, and thats what they did, only 1XX ended up dying in the whole thing..if they would have handled it wrong it would have been 1XXX that doesn't mean they can't control the situation if they wanted to.. are you suggesting that the military here would let protesters take over a nuclear powerplant & burn it, or that protestors would even attempt that in the first place. This country has a strong security apparatus; small arms weapons (rpgs, etc.) go missing -that is not a big deal and an RPG is no threat to a nuclear powerplant.

One other note: in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks the FBI interrogated one of the captured alqueda operatives..and he admitted that they had considered flying the planes into a nuclear power plant but decided that the attack might go "out of control" and kill too many people or cause too much environmental damage, so they decided to stick to non-toxic targets like the WTC and pentagon.. not even alqueda would blow up a nuclear powerplant..yet you think Dr. Wen and the red shirts would?? You must have no understanding of the people or situation here..

I think what hasn't yet been considered by Thailand, is that they would need to have some contingency in terms of airforce and ability to quickly get into the air, should someone decide to do something stupid with a plane.

A few more Gripens for the budget then I guess, which absolutely guarantees that this plan will have wholesale support from those who really run the country.

The construction and operation of nuclear power plants requires a safety culture with no room for negotiation.

Quality in absolutely everything is elementary and essential.

Only then can it be adequately, but never absolutely, safe.

A "questioning attitude" is the basis.

At all levels people are necessary saying ….

"No, I will not do that. It is not safe."

And the boss has to accept.

In a culture where questioning is discouraged, subservience is deeply ingrained, and responsibility is, let's say, a vague concept, developing nuclear power is irresponsible.

Agree 100% ! (sorry, hit the wrong button, - instead of +)

You stupid farang worry too much! Safety no problem! We have special amulets and pujas for protection!

Are you suggesting that the military here would let protesters take over a nuclear powerplant & burn it, or that protestors would even attempt that in the first place(?).

If you're addressing that Q to me, the answer is a firm 'YES!' A few pick-up trucks filled with rowdies could do it. Look at recent history: Yellows took over the airport with no resistance. Reds took a guarded hotel full of dignitaries in spring 2009, and commandeered downtown Bkk a year later. Granted, Bkk was a tougher task, but it was basically done by rowdies in pick-up trucks - was it not?

And who said anything about burning a N power plant. Wouldn't make much sense, trying to burn a concrete and steel building. The idea is to just commandeer it, in order to gain media attention - and that's not difficult in Thailand, where military are overly cautious, and cops are inept, if we're to judge by what happened a few months ago.

One other note: in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks the FBI interrogated one of the captured alqueda operatives..and he admitted....[/font]

Captured Al Qaeda have about as much credence as Thaksin and his ilk. In other words; zero. Al Qaeda wanted/wants to kill as many 'infidels' as possible. If they could have bombed a stadium full of people watching the Super Bowl, they would have. They have zero human sentiments for anyone outside their sicko little clique.

Edited by brahmburgers