Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Sawan Picked As Principal Nuclear Power Plant Locations

webfact

Nuclear power plants moved out of South

By Watcharapong Thongrung

The Nation

Ubon Ratchathani and Nakhon Sawan are picked as the principal locations of five nuclear power plants, with combined capacity of 5,000 megawatts, said a source from the Energy Ministry.

He cited huge local resistance in Nakhon Si Thammarat and Surat Thani, which made it impossible to locate the power plants in the two Southern provinces.

Advisor Burns & Roe Asia earlier shortlisted Nakhon Si Thammarat and Surat Thani from 17 locations, as the two provinces can accommodate the light-water reactor (LWR) technology. However, the ministry's officials have so far failed to reconcile with local communities.

"By changing the locations, we will need to reconsider the technology choice," the source said.

Under the Power Development Plan 2010, nuclear power plants, if approved by the government, will feed power into the system during 2020-2028. The new development plan will be submitted to the Cabinet early 2011 for approval.

The source also noted that if the government shows its intention to proceed with the nuclear power generating, it is required to set up additional budget to finance the Nuclear Power Programme Development Office, a unit under the ministry. That would also lengthen the life of NPPDO which is now supervised by designated-permanent secretary Norkun Sitthiphong. Set up during the Surayud government, NPPDO was tasked to prepare for the development within a 3-year timeframe.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-20

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming it would ever even get completed....

They can't build roads correctly, build an airport without cutting corners and stealing money, or even earth electric in a house. Who led them to believe they could build a Nuclear power plant?

Lord, save us all.

• Like 2

I suppose Ubon Ratchathani will have its resistance as well, why not the deep south, any objections here?

Yeah but Reds dont count !!

True reds do not count but not my worry. Better get outside help to operate it! Mai bin rai scares the hel_l out of me where ever the build it.

Why is it that I feel that nuclear power plants in Thailand would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

:(

That is not just a feeling mate, this has disaster written all over it.

Anyone who believes they can pull this off needs to go no further than to look outside (if you live in the city), where they can look up and see the unbelievable mess of electric wires dangling above them, or in some cases falling down to the ground. Maybe it would be a good idea to get "electric power" down first, then move forward. My power still goes out when it thunders or has the slightest rain.

Why is it that I feel that nuclear power plants in Thailand would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

Anyone who believes they can pull this off needs to go no further than to look outside (if you live in the city), where they can look up and see the unbelievable mess of electric wires dangling above them, or in some cases falling down to the ground. Maybe it would be a good idea to get "electric power" down first, then move forward. My power still goes out when it thunders or has the slightest rain.

I think those "electric wires" are actually telephone wires.

It'd be pretty good for Ubon or anywhere else that gets them, it'd be a huge boost to the local economy. Particularly during the building process, but also once it's finished too.

A nuclear meltdown would be pretty nasty if it happened, but I very much doubt that they'd fail to take the threat of it seriously, and so there wouldn't be too many corners cut I'm sure (Or at least not the important ones lol)

Telephone wires mixed in with internet and electric cables. It's one big mess of spaghetti.

Though, it would depend on where you live, I know some communities have started putting electric underground.

but I very much doubt that they'd fail to take the threat of it seriously, and so there wouldn't be too many corners cut I'm sure

Lets look at the bright side... If there was a melt down, think of all the glow in the dark babies that the parents could send into the cities to earn a living as a freak show.

Telephone wires mixed in with internet and electric cables. It's one big mess of spaghetti.

Though, it would depend on where you live, I know some communities have started putting electric underground.

Nah!!! The telephone / internet lines are sometimes so low they are on the ground!!!!

The construction and operation of nuclear power plants requires a safety culture with no room for negotiation.

Quality in absolutely everything is elementary and essential.

Only then can it be adequately, but never absolutely, safe.

A "questioning attitude" is the basis.

At all levels people are necessary saying ….

"No, I will not do that. It is not safe."

And the boss has to accept.

In a culture where questioning is discouraged, subservience is deeply ingrained, and responsibility is, let’s say, a vague concept, developing nuclear power is irresponsible.

• Like 2

Grrrr...don't need or want to see this go forward...there are much better ways to go rather than to a truly dangerious and old technology...solar is much better suted to this climit. look at Germany or Denmark with not even near the capasity for solar generation... they are replacing out moded nuc. plants with solar. and taking these dinosaurs off line. see 3 mile island or the disaster in russa...learn before you create diaster for the people in your country...listen to those in the sothern provances! this is a get rich scheme i'll bet just follow the money

Nope, deffo electric (and telephone) even got one near my house low enough for neighbour to hang her washing on - handy eh !

Even if they would build it according to all safety prescriptions I doubt whether they will follow the right protocols during operation. Look at the maptaphut area. Who'll guarantee that that's not going to happen with these nuclear power plants? The Chao phraya river would be a perfect place to dump waste/cooling water and other chemical substances. <br><br>I don't think Thailand is ready for nuclear plants. Why not look into green energy/sustainable energy sources. Tidal plants, off shore wind parks, water energy, solar energy, enough opportunities around. The EU provides huge subsidies on solar panels, why is it so expensive here in a place where there is an abundance of sun? <br><br>Thailand can benefit from all the technological advancements that are available and they don't have to reinvent the wheel. They don't have to jump through all the hoops that other countries have had to. <br><br>Oh I forgot about all the kickbacks... Better to be rich now than worry about your grandchildren being born with deformations. <br>

• Like 1

I suppose Ubon Ratchathani will have its resistance as well, why not the deep south, any objections here?

The deep South (Yala, Patani, Narathiwat) is just perfect for nuclear plants. The radiactive waste can also be dumped there, reducing the cost of transportation. Leaking radiation could also help to reduce the amount of insurgents in the South as well.

What a shortsighted and dangerous policy. Until now SEA is a nuclar free zone. Can't they leave it that way and focus on the power of the sun, as the main source of energy, as this is available in abundance? Nuclar power is definitely more expensive, - not to mention the possible danger -, if one includes the cost for the storage of the radioactive waste?

Decentralized solar power plants will create not only clean energy, but can also create one hundred times more jobs in Thailand, than nuclear plants.

I believe that personal greed of Thai politicians is the cause for the stupidity of their political decisions.

Even if they would build it according to all safety prescriptions I doubt whether they will follow the right protocols during operation. Look at the maptaphut area. Who'll guarantee that that's not going to happen with these nuclear power plants? The Chao phraya river would be a perfect place to dump waste/cooling water and other chemical substances.

Why do you think they're putting it in Ubon... - Cambodia and Vietnam are downstream...

Admittedly, I think the rivers in Nakhon Sawan flow into the Chao Phraya, so they might be a bit more careful with that one.

Edited by bkk_mike

not to mention the possible danger -, if one includes the cost for the storage of the radioactive waste?

As long as they can't manage a sewage system I don't believe they can manage the storage of radioactive waste.

The construction and operation of nuclear power plants requires a safety culture with no room for negotiation.

Quality in absolutely everything is elementary and essential.

Only then can it be adequately, but never absolutely, safe.

A "questioning attitude" is the basis.

At all levels people are necessary saying ….

"No, I will not do that. It is not safe."

And the boss has to accept.

In a culture where questioning is discouraged, subservience is deeply ingrained, and responsibility is, let's say, a vague concept, developing nuclear power is irresponsible.

Agree 100% ! (sorry, hit the wrong button, - instead of +)

• Like 1

Nuclear is not clean energy by any means, what does one do with the non-biodegradable waste? Don't these reactors need a lot of water to keep them cool? Let's put a nuclear reactor on a river that recently just about went dry, and that they blamed it on the Chinese. So let's put a bomb in a populated area, and give China the means to set it off. The whole thing sounds stupid. Nuclear energy is not progress. More "healthy white" propaganda from the ignorant. <_<

• Like 1

I am starting to glow already just at the thought of building this power station in the province of Ubon. I have a couple of questions for the forum:

1. Who made that descion to build in Ubon and where exactly in Ubon are the going to build?

2. Like all things in Thailand who are the guys getting the backhanders to propose this?

3. Have the people on Ubon and province had a say in this? (Doubt so.. nobody asked me!!)

4. What recourse to I have and my village to counter propose this? (If any)

I am furious that Ubon has been selected without public input..and will start a campaign immediately to oppose this.

These descion makers think we are suckers... They have another think coming... and to hel_l with big business.