3 Masted Sailing Ship

My father sailed as a cadet on an academy training ship and the beauty of large sail boats has always appealed to me. Leaving aside other considerations, I will be very happy to get a chance to go aboard the Rainbow Warrior this week (for free, unlike all the charter and tour boats) just to enjoy seeing it up close. Watching it gliding down the coast under sail will be even more beautiful. A great change from the endless lumbering car ferries and loud (but graceful) longtails.

While I support their positions I do understand that their public campaigns are (necessarily) simplified. If you are so sure of your own contrary views (destroy the environment? No hope for change? Problem, what problem?) you might want to test your opinions talking to someone on board who is not responding to a TV reporter looking for a 10 second sound bite.

I have several different models of tall ships as they are refered to , still as new in thier original boxes , I have been pondering over what to do with them as I do not have any glass cases as I did in Canada in which to display them . Have dolls and clowns also packed away , shame realy .

for some reason i can't quote and highlight your post. anyway, surely you aren't suggesting that there is a free cruise slated for this sailing ship? you said that we can go aboard for free (unlike all the charter and tour boats). i've never charged a single satang to go aboard any of my charter yachts and have a look which is what i expect you mean. i think i once went on board the old La Fortune to have a look and pascal didn't charge me for that either so i'm not quite sure what you are getting at with that comment. unless of course you are implying that this private sailing yacht and its crew that is funded by donations and contributions is somehow morally superior to a commercial charter vessel?

sounds pretty bizarre to me.

for some reason i can't quote and highlight your post. anyway, surely you aren't suggesting that there is a free cruise slated for this sailing ship? you said that we can go aboard for free (unlike all the charter and tour boats). i've never charged a single satang to go aboard any of my charter yachts and have a look which is what i expect you mean. i think i once went on board the old La Fortune to have a look and pascal didn't charge me for that either so i'm not quite sure what you are getting at with that comment. unless of course you are implying that this private sailing yacht and its crew that is funded by donations and contributions is somehow morally superior to a commercial charter vessel?

sounds pretty bizarre to me.

Mmmmmmm yachts.......free yachts........when's the next trip? :whistling:B)

i'd like to cruise on this sailboat (for free, unlike all the charter and tour boats). if i have to i'll douse myself with patchoulli oil and wear a tshirt showing george bush stabbing dolphins with a knife made out of a unicorns horn and they'd probably think i was crew.

Tour a vessel, for native speakers of English, means a tour of a vessel, not a tour such as going to Koh Tao on board a vessel. I hope to see it under sail from where I live when it sails South, sorry if that was confusing. This is an unusual situation where the general public is invited to to go on board. I don't doubt that it is possible to ask individual boat owners if you might board their craft, and that some of them might give their permission. If you are an owner of multiple yachts yourself you are part of the club and probably won't get turned down too often. Hard to see my comments as bizarre, and nothing in my post made a comparison of morality between charter ships and this one. The Samui Regatta provides opportunities to see beautiful racing yachts, but as stated, we rarely see a three master in these waters.

Tour a vessel, for native speakers of English, means a tour of a vessel, not a tour such as going to Koh Tao on board a vessel. I hope to see it under sail from where I live when it sails South, sorry if that was confusing. This is an unusual situation where the general public is invited to to go on board. I don't doubt that it is possible to ask individual boat owners if you might board their craft, and that some of them might give their permission. If you are an owner of multiple yachts yourself you are part of the club and probably won't get turned down too often. Hard to see my comments as bizarre, and nothing in my post made a comparison of morality between charter ships and this one. The Samui Regatta provides opportunities to see beautiful racing yachts, but as stated, we rarely see a three master in these waters.

Islandguy..Good response! Do you have a schedule of the yachts activities? I would like to have a wander round on it and perhaps

take some pics from my boat when the yacht's under sail.

(Nice to read a post here that doesn't belittle the aims of people trying to do something for the environment; the continuous "jokes" of Dolphin killing etc.are getting a little tedious:boring: :boring:).

• Like 1

Thanks for explaining that to joe as it seems he is not familiar with " Jacktalk ", you can now consider yourself Minister of the Navy. While in the R.A.N. the fleet would visit various ports and announce in the local media that tours of the ships would be held on various days. It was worth staying onboard weekends, the amount of poontang running aroiund the ship. I'm sure Rainbow Warrior would if she could, but this is not a good month for wind so don't expect them to set any sail.

good thing i've been a native speaker of english for over 40 years (for free, not like those esl graduates). i like schooners and tall ships a lot, i've been aboard 3,4 and 5 mast schooners everywhere from lake erie to roanoke, boston and ocho rios. if there was a schedule i might even tour this one (for free, not like those charter and tour boats).

good thing i've been a native speaker of english for over 40 years (for free, not like those esl graduates). i like schooners and tall ships a lot, i've been aboard 3,4 and 5 mast schooners everywhere from lake erie to roanoke, boston and ocho rios. if there was a schedule i might even tour this one (for free, not like those charter and tour boats).

Joe standby, I'm trying to arrange an invite through an old sailing buddy, Warren Blake ( his brother Peter Blake was murdered on a Greenpeace boat up the Amazon 20 years ago ) will let you know.

I didn't post a time for their open house because I haven't found it yet, however, another thread says it will be 10 am Saturday. Looking at the pictures it seems a bit more interesting for it's history than it's aesthetics. It is not a wooden hulled survivor of the 1900's and probably spends a lot of time not under sail. Still, I look forward to it's visit.

"Joe standby, I'm trying to arrange an invite through an old sailing buddy, Warren Blake ( his brother Peter Blake was murdered on a Greenpeace boat up the Amazon 20 years ago ) will let you know."

thank you. sorry to hear about your friends brother. amazon is still a dangerous place today, 20 years ago i'd imagine it was pretty crazy.