Visa For Pregnant Girlfriend

Hello all!!

I've recently found out my Thai GF is pregnant! YAY!! We've had the Thai marrige but I'm looking into getting married properly in England and have the baby born in England as well!

What are the implacations for visas and what type of visa do I get? We are not looking to stay in England but will be looking to move over to England in about 5/6 years time!

Will I get a visa if they know I want to have baby born in England? (dont want to give false information to visa people!)

The visa will have to be for 6 monthsa or more as she cant fly after 24 weeks of pregnancy and baby cant fly for a certain period after birth either!!

soooo....... any advice???

You have several different issues here. Firstly, you say you had a Thai marriage. Do you mean a legal marriage, registered at an Amphur ? If you have gone through a legal marriage, or if you have been living together for more than two years, then you might want to consider a settlement visa, depending on your circumstances and future intentions.

Secondly, why do you want/need to get married "properly" in UK, and have the baby born there ? The baby will be entitled to a British passport even if born in Thailand, if that is the reason behind wanting the birth to take place in UK.

Thirdly, the medical costs will have to be paid by you or someone else if your wife goes to UK on a visit visa. She is not entitled to NHS treatment on a visit visa.

Fourthly, you say that the visa will have to be for more than six months. You cannot get a visit visa for longer than six months.

Fifthly, pregnant ladies can usually fly up to 30/32 weeks pregnant. It depends on the airline rules for each particular airline. She would need a doctor's letter stating that she is fit to travel, and check with the airline before buying the ticket. Mothers do travel with new born babies just days after the birth ( as long as there are no complications, of course).

If we can assist you professionally, please contact us through our website or email.

Have you considered that she will not have access to free medical care in the UK? Look at the potential costs for maternity care.

Yes im aware that I will have to pay for medical treatment thats something else I'm looking into!

Your better off getting married in Thailand its simple and legally recognized in the UK. You can apply for a UK Passport at the embassy in Bangkok and the child can have a Thai passport. Dual citizenship. Plus the birth will be allot cheaper hear.

BTW 'Gotlost' thats one of my favorite Winston Chruchill qoutes!!!

yep! thats my other post in the medical and family forum! I was told to post my questions about visas in here

. You'll get better advice about visas in the visa section. All that was suggested was that you aim specific requests in the right forum, as you have quite a few different things you want answers to.

Seems like you're still stuck on the idea of having the baby born in the UK despite the fact that many people have already told you it's not necessary for your child to be born in the UK in order to qualify for a UK passport. Also, if you get married in Thailand legally, at the Amphur, that marriage is legally binding anywhere in the world.

If you weren't planning for your wife to visit the UK in the next few months and have only changed your mind because she's pregnant, I for one, think that would be a mistake. Have the baby born on Thailand, get a UK passport for your child and then take your time and get everything sorted out properly if you want your new family to eventually settle in the UK.

Why rush a visa application and take your wife away from her family just before she's about to have a baby when there's no reason to do it?

Anyway, it seems your mind is made up, it just seems like a very traumatic thing to put your wife through for no reason other than the fact that you seem to think it makes some kind of difference to your unborn child's nationality status when it doesn't.

Anyone's baby can be born in the UK but that doesn't make them UK citizens, what makes you a UK citizen, or entitled to apply for a UK passport, is the citizenship of one or more of the parents.

Here's the government website page that explains how your child, irrespective of where he/she is born, is entitled to UK citizenship because you are a UK citizen by descent.

http://www.ukba.home...zen/bornabroad/

Edited by 7by7
Insulting remark in quote and referance to it in post removed

I'm getting a lot of stick for asking some very simple questions and wanting to get things straightend out in my head! and getting some very sarcastic answers!

Or am I reading things wrong?

I do apoligise if i don't know about some stuff and am asking for advice! :annoyed::(

You are not getting stick for asking questions; you are not getting stick at all!

You have been warned for posting insulting remarks directed at another member who tried to help you. Heed that warning.

As for your questions, see:-

How to register a marriage , How to register a birth and Passports from the British embassy.

Maintenance and accommodation and Settlement, Spouse for information on your wife's visa.

You are not getting stick for asking questions; you are not getting stick at all!

You have been warned for posting insulting remarks directed at another member who tried to help you. Heed that warning.

As for your questions, see:-

How to register a marriage , How to register a birth and Passports from the British embassy.

Maintenance and accommodation and Settlement, Spouse for information on your wife's visa.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice on various matters! Maybe I have read a few statements wrong and taken offence to the way they were written although good advice was written within, upon reading they sounded to me at the time to be condesending. I apoligise for any mis-understaning on any comments left either by myself or by others!

Peace be with you all!! :jap: