Retiring Near Phayao (Dok Kham Tai) Next Year

ginooooo

Wife is a Thai US citizen. I am American. We built our retirement home in Dok kham tai when she was a Thai citizen 3 years ago. That home is under her name along with a lot of other land. Being now an American citizen, she is not allowed to own like that anymore. Am I correct or did they change the law? Her son, his wife, and son live in it now. All Thai citizens. Wife said if transferred to family, they must pay a large amount of tax. She wants to keep it in her name.

Reading other posts about having to get a yellow tabian baan being US citizens. Do you know if she also can retain her Thai citizenship? Dual? Her Thai passport expired. And if can be dual, would there be any problems getting her social security?

Thanks for any assistance.

Unless she had renounced her citizenship to the Thai government and had it approved (very unlikely) your wife is still Thai and should obtain a new Thai passport and use that for entry to avoid immigration issues.

She has no problem owning land as a Thai so there is no need for any change. She can also buy land but that would have to be her money alone and you would have to sign your understanding it was not marriage property. Laws did not have to change - only policy - the only policy was they would not register ownership if had foreign husband but that is no longer the case.

There is no need to get any tabian baan but as a foreigner you can have a yellow one if you want - Thai would require being on the blue one.

I serious doubt there would be any problem for social security but no direct knowledge.

Unless she had renounced her citizenship to the Thai government and had it approved (very unlikely) your wife is still Thai and should obtain a new Thai passport and use that for entry to avoid immigration issues.

She has no problem owning land as a Thai so there is no need for any change. She can also buy land but that would have to be her money alone and you would have to sign your understanding it was not marriage property. Laws did not have to change - only policy - the only policy was they would not register ownership if had foreign husband but that is no longer the case.

There is no need to get any tabian baan but as a foreigner you can have a yellow one if you want - Thai would require being on the blue one.

I serious doubt there would be any problem for social security but no direct knowledge.

Although we have a house in Chiang Mai, my wife also has a house and farm land in Bang Dong about 5kms from Dok Kham Tai. She has had no problems buying land there

Thanks. No, she never renounced it. Thai old passport expired (now no more mailing it in-have to go to an embassy in person to get it renewed in the states). That would be a pain and got her US citizenship instead. I just wonder what complications there would be through immigration with 2 passports.

Thanks. No, she never renounced it. Thai old passport expired (now no more mailing it in-have to go to an embassy in person to get it renewed in the states). That would be a pain and got her US citizenship instead. I just wonder what complications there would be through immigration with 2 passports.

None, whatsoever.

Many, many people travel with 2 passports. Leave U.S on American passport and enter Thailand on a Thai passport.

It will be necessary for her to renew her Thai passport .

None, whatsoever.

Many, many people travel with 2 passports. Leave U.S on American passport and enter Thailand on a Thai passport.

It will be necessary for her to renew her Thai passport .

Thanks. Going to the Thai embassy anyway in February and I guess no reason why not to renew her old passport then and explain she is also an American citizen now. Do you know if you have to show both passports thru immigration in Thailand/US for stamp purposes?

Thanks. Going to the Thai embassy anyway in February and I guess no reason why not to renew her old passport then and explain she is also an American citizen now. Do you know if you have to show both passports thru immigration in Thailand/US for stamp purposes?

My wife uses her Thai passport to leave/enter Thailand and her US passport to leave/enter the US. Never had any problems.

Make sure she renews her Thai passport. Very important.

Edited by rijb

It was my understandning that it is best to only produce 1 passport if you are a dual citizen (This could be outdated). So your wife would be best using a Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand and her US passport to enter and leave the US.

To immigration yes but will have to show both to the airline,otherwise they're looking for a visa.

Immigration could also ask why no visa in Thai passport, so it's best to have both passports handy, and in date. There is nothing wrong in producing two passports even to immigration.

• 2 weeks later...

Your wife can get her new chipped ID card at the Amphoe in Phayao, takes about 15 minutes. For the passport you will have to go to Chiang Mai but sometimes they have a mobile passport office in Chiang Rai etc.

Land ownership for her is not a problem and neither is dual citizenship. If traveling on both passports make sure you don't get mixed up if you went in on a Thai go out on a Thai, or visa versa, if you present your US first and you went in on a Thai you are instantly an illegal and can be arrested even as a Thai. This has happened a few times.

We haven't had a problem not showing both to the airline we always fly into Korea so maybe that's regional or country oriented. On arrival we normally get put into the Thai lineup even if we are traveling on a Canadian Passport for a short stay, no one in immigration seems to care at all.

Your wife can get her new chipped ID card at the Amphoe in Phayao, takes about 15 minutes. For the passport you will have to go to Chiang Mai but sometimes they have a mobile passport office in Chiang Rai etc.

Land ownership for her is not a problem and neither is dual citizenship. If traveling on both passports make sure you don't get mixed up if you went in on a Thai go out on a Thai, or visa versa, if you present your US first and you went in on a Thai you are instantly an illegal and can be arrested even as a Thai. This has happened a few times.

We haven't had a problem not showing both to the airline we always fly into Korea so maybe that's regional or country oriented. On arrival we normally get put into the Thai lineup even if we are traveling on a Canadian Passport for a short stay, no one in immigration seems to care at all.

she should enter Thailand on the Thai passport however. I believe it is possible to enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport. She can then get a new one while there.

Whatever you do, don't enter on the US passport. That would subject her to immigration rules and restrict her stay in Thailand.

she should enter Thailand on the Thai passport however. I believe it is possible to enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport. She can then get a new one while there.

Whatever you do, don't enter on the US passport. That would subject her to immigration rules and restrict her stay in Thailand.

We will be there for only 30 days this time before the move and should be no problem with the US passport only and then renew the old one during that time. Will also ask the Thai embassy to make sure.